Start by marking “Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book

Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  4,085 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Illus. in full color. The animal residents of Busytown learn useful lessons about manners, thoughtfulness, and caring in this perky, funny paperback. ...more
Paperback, A Random House Pictureback, 32 pages
Published August 12th 1973 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book

I, Claudius by Robert GravesAs You Like It by William ShakespeareThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussClaudius the God And His Wife Messalina by Robert Graves
Me, You & They
234th out of 262 books — 11 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonCars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard ScarryThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFreight Train by Donald Crews
Greatest little boy books ... ages 2 - 6
249th out of 305 books — 98 voters

More lists with this book...

Mervina Alchesay
This book was good with its words and pictures, it's like a magazine if children liked reading magazines. If this book were read to a child, it would be good for them because it teaches about how they should act and it also teaches about using good manners, safety rules, etc.... This book seems to have multiple short stories in it so it should be able to keep everyone awake because you move onto a new story fast. This book has animals in it instead of people which I thought was interesting becau ...more
Alice
This is a book that has been on my parents shelf forever, and I remember them as a child but not a lot. I like this book! I talks about manners without it being in your face. I have always had a respect for Richard Scarry's work but I really enjoyed this. Our Public Library copy is well used! Very nice!
Ann
Love, LOVE Richard Scarry. Though his illustrations are cartoony, they are intriguing and funny to children...and me! This book is a marvelous, thorough, overview of the good manners we all want children (and adults!) to demonstrate. He covers disciplined routines, patience and helpfulness, table manners, cooperative kindness, proper party etiquette, car & fire safety, even mud tracking on clean floors (at least Lowly Worm only has one foot...)! My favorite section is "Lowly Worm's Horrid Pe ...more
Emmie
My kids really enjoyed the little stories in this book. It is a great beginning book to emphasize manners and ways to love people. I took it and applied it to Scripture and would encourage others to do the same as otherwise it becomes just a type "self-help" books for kids.
Anne
A preK favorite. Frequently requested.
I grew up reading Richard Scarry, so was happy to find this to read while waiting in the pediatrician's office. My 6 year old enjoyed it. I was a little dismayed to the extremely stereotypical gender roles presented in this book (all of the mothers were cooking or cleaning, the fathers going to work in suits or reclining and watching tv) but had to ultimately put it down to the time period in which the book was written.
Kim T.
This book was an unexpected gold mine. It taught so much. With cute illustrations and playful stories, it addressed manners, common courtesies, kindnesses, a good work ethic, and more. I really, really liked the stories included in this volume. My favorite would have to be Pig Will and Pig Won't. My kids and I could not get enough of it.

Rating: 5/5 (Winner!)
Recommend: Yes
Kari
The illustrations are adorable, and although sometimes I get overwhelmed by so much going on on one page, this book is a winner. I love the simple stories and the way they clearly show proper behavior in a variety of situations. My kiddos enjoy this book and it is an excellent reinforcement for the behaviors we are working on all the time anyway!
Cindy
Sep 11, 2007 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids and parents
This book presents manners in a fun and familiar context for little readers. My kids already love Huckle and Lowly, so it was easy for them to enjoy this book. My favorite story is Pig Will and Pig Won't. At my house, we need constant reminders on good manners, and this book makes it fun. Parents will enjoy it too.
Jill
Can I use the word delightful? My first grader LOVED the book, you can read it in small segments or all at once - she learned the term "dozen" as in "don't make your mother ask you a dozen times to go to bed." Great introductory book to manners and thinking of others' feelings.
Rachel N
I'm delighted that my son loves this childhood favorite of mine. There are lot of lessons in here about safety and manners and respect. I have a copy given to me in 1976 by my grandparents. I got my son a new copy and he loves that we've put his name it "just like Mommy's."
Jessica Lowery
My family loves this book! It's so funny and it's shocking to hear the chiding of "whiners" or people who say "I won't". It's from a different era - but it can be kind of refreshing after so many careful modern stories where everything is nice and nebulous.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is cure--I love his illustrations--and I'm sure I must have read some of the stories in this book when I was little. I get a kick out of Lowly the worm-- great name! I love to see how he knots himself so that he can hold a fork or spoon. So cute!
Sommer
My mom read this book to me so many times I had it memorized. To the point of knowing when to turn the pages and convincing Dad I knew how to read. Mom burst that bubble with the dreadful truth.
Rebecca
We really enjoy any of the Scarry books. There is always funny details going on in the illustrations. I like this one for the morals, my daughter's favorite story is about the 'pests'. :)
Peter Macinnis
This was one of my favourites when my children were young, and one of theirs as well. In fact, we consumed a cart-load of Scarry. Soon, I can start again with my grand-children!
Annette
This is the book that infamously introduced the Todd Family to Pig Will and Pig Won't -- two literary characters that continue to come up in family discussions after 20 & 30 years.
Molly
As I remember it, this was one of the best children's manner books that I've read. It is full of gentle humor and practical--not preachy or snobby--lessons in good manners.
lily
I learned that you should be in bed and never stay up and let your mother ask you a dozen times. I learned that you should not pick up other people's things (stealing).
Stafford and Zoe
Please, thank you. How not to be a horrible pest.

"A Noisy Pest is always shouting and giving people headaches. No one likes to have a headache."
Katie Beck
This is a great anthology. This is a good collection of stories to read to children to teach them the importance of please and thank you.
Emerson
A collection of stories on manners, following rules, safety and the like. Cute characters as always.
Teniesha Kessler
An adorable manners book for young children. Richard Scarry never fails to please.
Sophia Seeramlal
Another one of the first and most memorable books that I read as a child :)
Laura Scaron
I still now this book by hard!!! Pig will and Pig won't are unforgettable!
A fun primer for teaching kids about manners.
Tricia
viv's scarry phase. classic characters/stories.
Mbrooke
Another classic book from my childhood.
ZZ
This is a good book about manners.
Theresa
learn proper behavior
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • Five True Dog Stories
  • A Grain of Rice
  • Capyboppy
  • Classic Tales of Brer Rabbit
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • Mouse Tales
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Eric Carle's Animals Animals
  • The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature
  • The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury: Celebrated Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud
  • No Children, No Pets
  • The Children's Book of Virtues
  • In Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #1)
What Do People Do All Day? Cars and Trucks and Things That Go Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever Busy, Busy Town