Start by marking “L'atroce accademia” as Want to Read:
L'atroce accademia

L'atroce accademia (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  79,775 ratings  ·  1,583 reviews
Violet, Klaus e Sunny Baudelaire sono ragazzi intelligenti e pieni di risorse, e probabilmente vi aspettate che vadano molto bene a scuola. Sbagliato. Per i Baudelaire la scuola si rivela essere un altro sfortunato evento nelle loro vite già abbastanza infelici. Non posso tacerlo, nei capitoli di questa storia spaventosa i bambini affronteranno fastidiosi granchi, severe p ...more
Published February 1st 2003 by Salani (first published August 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about L'atroce accademia, please sign up.

Georgia Talbot
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jason Koivu
Oh, oh! This is the one where the orphans get thrown into a difficult situation and are overseen by a caretaker who just doesn't care, allowing the evil Count Olaf to get at them...like deja vu all over again.

In The Austere Academy the Baudelaire kids end up at a school, which should be good news, because they love the learning, but of course it's not good. It's never good.

I stopped reading the series for a good long while at this point. Although the quality of this one is slightly higher than t
Kat Thomas
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Julie
I really do love Lemony Snicket. Reading this just brought up so many feelings from childhood. Real review to come eventually.
Titilope
I didn't read A Series of Unfortunate Events in order; so this was the first book I read, and I liked it. I liked it a lot. In fact, I liked it so much so, I read all the other books, attempted to draw Count Olaf, watched the film and I get seriously defensive if anyone dares to insult the books.

These books are often branded as being for children. I'm not really sure I would brand it as just being for children. It will definitely appeal to children, but I think to fully understand the humour in
Nicholas Karpuk
Much like The Miserable Mill, Austere Academy finds Lemony Snicket showing that he set up his formula for the series partly to screw with the reader by changing them up occasionally.

Whereas book four featured very little Count Olaf until the end, with the orphans anticipating his appearance through the bulk of the story, book five introduces him fairly early as a gym teacher. What really amused me is that by this point the orphans are actually learning something. Instead of blurting out, "there'
Georgina Ortiz
Favorite word definition: The waning light of the sunset--the word "waning" here means "dim, and making everything look extra-creepy"--made the shadow of the coach's turban look like a huge, deep hole.
Kimberley doruyter
you would think a grown man would get tired of being bested by 3 children.
Lis
Definitivamente el mejor libro de la serie hasta ahora. El adulto idiota de esta historia es uno de los personajes más odiables que leí.

¿Está bien que shippee tan pero tan fuertemente a Violet y Klaus con los Quagmire? ¡No pude evitarlo!

Como ya dije, esto se pone cada vez más horrible para los pobres chicos cuanto más avanza la historia, pero sé que van a salir de todo esto y ser felices, yo lO SÉ.
Aprille
The brightest story so far. This book restored my faith in SOUE. So much fun inspite the craziness, unrealistic unfortunate events the Baudelaires experienced. Lemony Snicket, hits and misses but this one was surely a hit!
Jude
Slightly more bearable than the Miserable Mill - 3.7 stars :v
Alex
Part of the Great ASOUE Re-Read of 2015.

I think this is the first truly fantastic book in ASOUE. There's the sense of deeper story threads afoot here, rather than this just being another "oh la la la, our guardian sucks" story. We get the Quagmires. I love the Quagmires. I love how we get the first moment in three books when the Baudelaires are truly happy, and that's because they have friends their own age. Duncan and Isadora are a little flat, sure, but they're also kind. These children are st
Samuel
I read the book, "The Austere Academy" by Lemony Snicket. I liked this book, as I have been reading The Series of Unfortunate Events. This book was just another great writes Lemony Snicket has done, making this book exciting and suspenseful. Overall, this is a great book with a fantastic plot, like any other book that Snicket writes.

The Plot starts out where Klaus, Violet, and Sunny learn they will be living in the "Orphan Shack" at the Academy because they don't have a guardian to give them the
Mark Lawrence
Another decent read with Celyn. It seems that The Miserable Mill may have been the low-point of the series as this volume is an improvement. The formula is applied once more, but with a slight variation in that the Baudelaires find friends of their own age and this alliance faces Count Olaaf with predictably grim consequences.

What steps this up from the previous book is a return to the established level of surreal, i.e. marked but not extreme. In The Miserable Mill we had Sunny fighting a sword-
Julie
May 02, 2014 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Cassie
Shelves: childrens-lit
The Quagmires!!!

The kids learning to default to their own initiative and not rely on adults!!

Continued teamwork!!

THE QUAGMIRES

Also, the fact that it's starting to reveal little bits & pieces of the overarching plot is really exciting me, from hearing tiny little snippets of what happened to Beatrice and how it might tie in here (!), the first mention of the V.F.D., etc. ugh I just want to know all the secreeeeets.
Jbb Lim
Now, the more I read this series, the more I like how smart these kids are. Though they are EXTREMELY unfortunate (obviously) but I think many readers are missing out the point that they are really smart. They can adapt to many of their misfortunes in order to get their way. I don't know what the end will be but I think there's something about this series that the author has to give.

This book has a turn of event, it kind of left me with a cliffhanger. Now, that is goooood writing... They've made
SuperHeroQwimm
A much needed improvement over the last book. The Quagmires added a new element to the story which I found enjoyable, and they alone made the ending differ from the previous books which was also pleasing.
Corrie
OMG the last chapter had my heart racing, I just wanna know what happens next!
This story Is starting to kick off into bad ass adventure.

Love the work by lemony snicket, let the adventure begin.
Teresa B
This "woe-filled" collection of thirteen books about the tribulations of three unusually talented orphans will keep adults entertained as well as children. When I first saw the series I thought, "That looks too depressing," but soon I discovered the hilarity in overabundant alliteration, contemptible villains, and idiotic bystanders.

As the series progresses and the mysteries deepen, the children's characters grow and develop in surprising ways as togehter they face obstacles and a growing numbe
Lesley

The Austere Academy is a rather important book in the Series of Unfortunate Events. It introduces us to 3 important new players in our story. The First and unfortunately the most horrid, is Carmelita Spats. There is no getting around it. You will hate this character. She is obnoxious and rude and cruel. She is the opposite of everything the Baudelaire children are and stand for I almost can't imagine a most unlikeable child and I have to give Daniel Handler kudos for creating her.

The next two
Julesmarie
This was back to being much more light-hearted again. Not only were the Baudelaire children all able to remain united as they tried to outwit Count Olaf, but this time they even recruited friends to help them.

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to watch the development of the friendship between the two sets of orphans, and definitely appreciated that the Baudelaires finally had someone believe them.

I was also increasingly fascinated by the mentions of Beatrice and am intrigued to learn more about how s
Yzobelle
This is the brightest story so far among the first five of SUE. I kept telling myself this is quite different from the others because one, the Baudelaires actually had friends; two, it was a pretty long story that it did quite drag a bit; and three, the ending is too suspenseful and hanging. These three are not reasons for the three stars (and not higher like what I gave to the first four). These three things just made Book 5 a bit different from the rest.

I was happy though that the Baudelaires
Penny Raspenny
Pleasantly surprised!

I expected it to be mediocre in comparison with the others (being the 5th book and all) but I found myself liking it more than the 4th.

It was good to finally have some friends for the Baulelaire children, in spite of what happens in the end. This time the children handled their unfortunate situation better although, as we all expected, things didn't go as planned. We do finally get some hints about Count Olaf's secrets but only in the end of chapter 13. What the hell could
Chris Blocker
I like what Snicket/Handler is setting up in this, the fifth book, for the rest of the series. In books 1 through 4 he set up a basic storyline and formula, and repeated it in episodic fashion, making only the slightest alterations to keep the story interesting. The same basic formula is repeated in The Austere Academy, but Snicket/Handler introduces several arcs to the series that will clearly play out in future books. What's the V.F.D.? Who is Beatrice, and what is her relation to the author? ...more
Punk
Miserable Orphan Fiction. The Baudelaire orphans are sent to boarding school. Violet and Klaus attend classes while Sunny is pressed into service as an administrative assistant. The Baudelaires are befriended by the Quagmire triplets and if you think that ends well, you haven't been paying attention.

For the first time in these books, we catch a glimpse of other children's lives and get the sense that maybe everyone is miserable in this world. The boarding school is a terrible place, staffed wit
Elizabeth
Melissa
The Austere Academy is usually the point at which I give up trying to re-read the ASoUE series, not because it's a bad book - certainly not - but because I think it's the point at which the original formula stretches too far. There are only so many times the Baudelaires can be transferred to a new guardian, pursued by a disguised Olaf and narrowly thwart his schemes before it becomes as tiring as forcing orphans to run laps around a luminous track night after night. This time I was absolutely de ...more
Juushika
Sent this time to a boarding school, the orphaned Baudelaire siblings encounter horrible living conditions, grueling courses, and something truly unexpected: friends. But not even friendship is safe from Count Olaf's continued machinations. The Quagmire siblings are what this series needed. The best of the previous books--their darkly whimsical content and humorously maudlin tone--persists, but the friendship between the Quagmires and Baudelaires introduces variety and contrast, as well as progr ...more
Alyssa Miller
“The Austere Academy” is the fourth book in “A Series Of Unfortunate Events”. This is a fantastic book written by Lemony Snicket. The Baudelaire children have, yet again, been sent to another guardian. The children find that they have, once again, been put in the car of a person who doesn’t really know how to properly care for them. The children are living in a shack with no access to a library. This is the first time in the series that the children can’t use the library to help them out of this ...more
Paul Beimers
Aug 10, 2015 Paul Beimers rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who: read the fourth book.
Book the Fifth
"A person who designs buildings is called an architect, but in the case of Prufrock Prep, a better term might be 'depressed architect.' The school was made up of several buildings, all made of smooth gray stone, and the buildings were grouped together in a sort of sloppy line. To get to the buildings, the Baudelaires had to walk beneath an immense stone arch casting a curved shadow on the lawn, like a rainbow in which all of the colors were gray or black. On the arch were the wor
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Goodreads Discussion 2 12 Mar 24, 2015 01:41PM
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Voxer Discussion 1 9 Feb 02, 2015 05:58AM
The Nooks of Books: The Austere Academy 1 1 Jan 28, 2015 03:16AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 5 Nov 08, 2014 07:38AM
quotablebookquotes: The Austere Academy: Chapters 1 - 4 7 9 Aug 01, 2013 04:32PM
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (The Children of the Red King, #5)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Aliens Don't Wear Braces (Bailey School Kids #7)
  • Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)
  • Junie B. Jones Is a Graduation Girl (Junie B. Jones, #17)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • Sophie's World (Sophie #1)
  • Which Witch?
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2) The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4) The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)

“Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble. For instance, one morning you might wake up and make the assumption that your bed was in the same place that it always was, even though you would have no real evidence that this was so. But when you got out of your bed, you might discover that it had floated out to sea, and now you would be in terrible trouble all because of the incorrect assumption that you'd made. You can see that it is better not to make too many assumptions, particularly in the morning.” 937 likes
“There is no worse sound in the world than someone who cannot play the violin but insists on doing so anyway.” 547 likes