Start by marking “VIP Vampire Book 2nd Ed” as Want to Read:
VIP Vampire Book 2nd Ed

J. Gordon Melton

VIP Vampire Book 2nd Ed

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,917 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Grab a fistful of garlic as you enter the dark world of the original pain in the neck--the vampire! In this fully revised and "revamped" edition of the bestselling encyclopedia, Melton examines our fascination with the undead inside and out--from cults and personalities to movies and literature. Plus, he digs even deeper into the lore, myths, and reported realities of vamp ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Omnigraphics (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about VIP Vampire Book 2nd Ed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about VIP Vampire Book 2nd Ed

Ronda  Tutt
Dec 24, 2009 Ronda Tutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to have. Watching vampire shows and reading vampire books is great but actually knowing a little history about where vampires came from or should I say when was the first time anyone noted a vampire within history can give you a little more insight about them.

In short, here is a few interesting facts that I found interesting.

1. Vampire and Blood relationship - We know that vampires are bloodsucker creatures - since ancient times, humans have been the connection between blood
Jason Henderson
Dec 13, 2010 Jason Henderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead is one of the most valuable books I use in the prep work I do. I've been using it for years-- the version I just got is the third edition, making this the second time that I'll be donating a dog-eared previous edition to the Outreach Center. (Note: I don't bother selling used books. I donate them. Goodwill, Outreach, Library, whatever. At the end the year you can write off some amount, and it's not as tiresome as waiting on a small sum in trade at ...more
Cleolinda
Extremely thorough and expansive in terms of looking at the vampire as a literary, cinematic, mythological and cultural phenomenon--you'll find entries on everything from fan clubs to breakfast cereals, as well as how various cultures (Germany, India, China, etc.) interpret the vampire. One drawback: since the book was published in 1998, it misses out on internet culture; a revised/updated edition would be a fun read.
Cynthia
Nov 01, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, vampires
What's not to like. The title says it all. An encyclopedia of vamps.
Yousra
May 09, 2013 Yousra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been searching for this book desperately among my books since almost 3 yrs... i haven't lost the the hope of finding it somewhere.... I believe I'm gonna find it just when i'm not looking for it.

i bought this book in July 2003, from Borders Bookstore - Washington DC - USA... I chose that book along with "Great short works of Edgar Allan Poe" ... yet, I have bought this Vampire book for to give as a present for my favorite author & translator Dr.Ahmed Khaled Tawfick (author of Utopia), w
Rita
Awesome!

I got this book back in the early 90's so by today's standard it may be considered a bit out-dated. This does not make this book worth any less though! It's a very exhaustive encyclopaedia in terms of history (European, Asian, etc), myth & legend, movies, boooks, and so forth. It would be really, really nice to see a revised up-to-date edition, that also takes other media into consideration, such as music, games and the internet, in addition to what has been released since its origin
Jonathan
Oct 13, 2011 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent resource for serious researchers, fans, and writers who appreciate the realm of horror, the cultural phenomenon of vampires, or culture, in general. This reference contains many entries related to cultural works related to the vampire mythology, legends, and lore, but there is a good amount of research on the less fantastic environment in which these myths, legends, and lore have been borne and thriving.
BurgendyA
Jan 22, 2009 BurgendyA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the greatest book of everything you need to know about Vampires. Their storie, myths, authors, films and alot of interesting sources. All very awesome. So I give it 10 stars & 2 thumbs up. If you're a true vampire fanatic? You'll totally love Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead . =)~

Jamie Siemsen
May 26, 2012 Jamie Siemsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deffs a good book to own if you like vampires. It has fun facts, insightful descriptions, and much much more about all of your favorite vampire stories. To be honest, I have not read thee entire book. lol. Who would have the time? This thing is gargantuan!!
Lamadia
It's more of a reference book, so I've only read parts of it, but he leaves no stone unturned. Anything that has any relation to vampire myths, movies, folklore, books, places, and people is in here. There are even entries on medieval vampire hunters. This is extremely encompassing.
Max
Mar 17, 2011 Max rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in this book you can read anything from Dracula, Vlad The Impapler, Carmilla, Lilth and the history of all vampires and where they live. mostly Transylvania. you should read this book if you love vampires and anything to do with mythology or the supernatrual!
Hannah
Mar 20, 2011 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I bought this for a research paper on vampires. It was very helpful and interesting.
Stu
May 10, 2012 Stu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riddled with mistakes, but still the most complete compendium on the subject. Take it with a grain of salt, but take it nonetheless.
Jessica
Jan 05, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-theory
Do you love the undead? Then you must own it! Has lots of juicy vampire tid bits inside <3
K.V. Witten
Nov 16, 2012 K.V. Witten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If you're a fan of vampires in general, this should be in your library. An exhaustive reference to all things vampire.
Dave Analog
Oct 25, 2011 Dave Analog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the most thorough book of vampires on screen and otherwise. a MUST HAVE.
Marcus Crawford
Jul 11, 2012 Marcus Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Notice there is no twilight bs in this. :-)
Mae
Jul 02, 2013 Mae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-678
1. Melton, J. Gordon. The vampire book: the encyclopedia of the undead. Completely revamped, fully rev. and expanded ed., 2nd ed. Detroit: Visible Ink Press, 1999. Print.

2. ISBN 157859071X 13.98

3. The Vampire Book - Book Verdict April 1, 2011

4. WH1a
5. This is a comprehensive encyclopedia of vampire lore. It has more than 800 entries in alphabetical order ranging from directors and actors in vampire film to the historical origins of the vampire myth. The be
Mae Craddock
Aug 29, 2013 Mae Craddock rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a comprehensive encyclopedia of vampire lore. It has more than 800 entries in alphabetical order ranging from directors and actors in vampire film to the historical origins of the vampire myth. The best part about this book is the resources section in the back of the book that details societies, books, and websites that can be referenced for further study. The author is a distinguished professor of american religious history at the Institute for Studies of Religion at Baylor University. ...more
Joe Albanese
Mar 12, 2013 Joe Albanese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read all 800 pages of this thing, so I know it has everything you would want to know about vampires, from folklore about "real" vampires around the world to vampires in entertainment, at least up until 1998. It would have been easier to follow all the folklore in more of a chronological order, but the encyclopedia format makes research on a specific topic much easier. I would have liked a little more information on some topics and a little less information on others (I know way too much about ...more
Desiree *~*~* LiveReadCollect
This is full of a lot of information about various vampires from novels, movies, tv, etc. which for someone like me who loves vampires and other paranormal creatures it's a great book to have in my collection.

However in my edition (I don't know if it's been fixed yet) there's a mistake that bugs me, probably more than it should, because I'm a huge BtVS fan. In the Angel/Angelus section they mentioned his homeland to be Greece, it's not, most BtVS fans know he's from Ireland. With that info bein
Jason M.
Jan 31, 2009 Jason M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much everything you wanna know about vampires is in here. Books and movies and music about vampires; oldworld tales about vampires; case studies about whackjobs who THOUGHT they were vampires: yeah, it's all here. There have been many revised editions, and maybe they'll keep updating it forever. Maybe they've stopped updating it, and it's no longer the supreme resource on bloodsuckers. Well, even so...it's pretty damn extensive.
Jesse Kimmel-Freeman
I'm all for books that attempt to throw a bunch of vampire information together. It makes it a lot easier for research, should you need that kind of thing. I felt like this book picked only the biggest things, i.e shows, movies, books, and didn't give enough information on some of the more important pieces but lesser known. It had potential to be so much better.
ʍous ƃuıʞ
Sep 13, 2009 ʍous ƃuıʞ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent source for simple fast look-ups on vampire related questions. The little flipbook style animation of the bat on the corner is amusing as well. Its not dependable for in depth or very fringe questions... but for the mainstream curiosities this book provides answers.

Molly
Apr 24, 2007 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating look at all things vampire. Whether you're interested in the folk stories behind vampire, the most popular (pre-Twilight) vampire books/movies/television shows this is a great resource to have.
Jelena
May 28, 2009 Jelena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing history from the balkans to where the first vampire was originated from. Entertaining and educational.
Vanlilith
Jun 29, 2012 Vanlilith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampiri-co, finished, may, in, 2008
A great Encyclopedia of Vampires ^_^ - Found in Beijing at Bookworm library (http://www.beijingbookworm.com/) and read drinkin' a lot of american (bad)coffee ^_^
Lenette Graham
Thanks to my best friend ShaKishaBoo for this book! She saw it and knowing how much I love vampires, thought of me!
Voiceofmadness
Oct 21, 2014 Voiceofmadness rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was so much information... it really was a dictionary. It has pictures, dates, films, novels, myths. You name it, it's in here. Wonderful read for any vampire lover!
Help? I can't remember the title of a book I once read... 1 2 Apr 28, 2016 08:11PM
  • The Vampire Encyclopedia
  • Vampire: The Complete Guide to the World of the Undead
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • Vampires: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • Our Vampires, Ourselves
  • The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia Of Shape-Shifting Beings
  • The Science of Vampires
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • Vampyres: Lord Byron to Count Dracula
  • Vampires: The Occult Truth
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Vampires, Burial, and Death: Folklore and Reality
  • The Vampire Archives
  • The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories
  • Vampires: Encounters With the Undead
  • Vampires: From Dracula to Twilight: The Complete Guide to Vampire Mythology
  • I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...
John Gordon Melton is an American religious scholar who was the founding director of the Institute for the Study of American Religion and is currently a research specialist in religion and New Religious Movements with the Department of Religious Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is a Distinguished Senior Fellow at Baylor University's Institute for Studies of Religion.

His a
More about J. Gordon Melton...