Start by marking “The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  117,183 Ratings  ·  3,371 Reviews
Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale. I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire childr
Published September 30th 1999 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published August 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Reptile Room, please sign up.

Danny Bhagat
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Erika There are 13 books in this series, if that's what you mean. If you mean to ask if the others are as good as this, than that depends on your taste…moreThere are 13 books in this series, if that's what you mean. If you mean to ask if the others are as good as this, than that depends on your taste alone ;) (less)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHoles by Louis SacharThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
24th out of 996 books — 1,719 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
I Saw the Movie & Read the Book
136th out of 1,427 books — 1,497 voters

More lists with this book...

Riley
Sep 09, 2015 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While re-reading this series my main question is why the hell is an incompetent banker the only adult helping these children. Like where are the police or social workers????
Kennia Belikov
Jan 27, 2016 Kennia Belikov rated it it was amazing
*first read Jan 21*

#RYBSAT seriously though, the ending to each book in The Series of Unfortunate Events makes me cry! This ending tore my heart!
Each book only gets better. I probably loved this one more than The Bad Beginning, if that's even possible. I have to say, Sunny had her shinning moments in this book and is quickly becoming my favorite character! She's just so adorable!

Mr. Snicket's commentary throughout this book was awesome and so hilarious! And his writing is so poetically magnific
Brendon Schrodinger
Nov 20, 2015 Brendon Schrodinger rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
In this second volume, the Baudelaire children are sent to stay with another distant relative who is a herpetologist - studies snakes, therefore the reptile room of the title. What proceeds is another adventure of mishaps and contrived situations that see the children triumph, yet not at the same time.

There is nothing new to report here, I felt the same way about this novel as the last - a little bit creeped out, a lot bored. There is the explaining of words, which I do like and the hint of som
C.W.
Feb 23, 2016 C.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5. Enjoyed this much more than the first one! Uncle Monty is seriously great. I mean, I really just want to see these kids be happy, but I can’t help but wonder how Lemony Snicket can make it worse for them...
Mark Lawrence
Feb 17, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it
So, Celyn and I cruised on to book 2, pausing only for breath.

This book sets a pattern, a formula, that is repeated in each of the books we've read so far.

The children move to a new place.

All the adults are idiots.

Count Olaaf arrives in disguise and at some point a selected member of his theatre troop will show up, also in disguise (someone may have been bumped off to make space for one or both of them).

The children see through his disguise in an instant.

The adults don't believe them.

Count Ol
Tfitoby
Nov 05, 2012 Tfitoby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is good light reading to pass away a quiet evening at work. For a grown man such as myself I can't ask for or expect more.

It's an enjoyable sequel filled with all of the same reading pleasures (and all of the same pitfalls for the Baudelaire orphans) as novel the first. I've been reliably informed by Jay that I must read 5 of the same book before things start getting better. When using the term 'getting better' here Jay means 'the plot changes.'

This episode features Uncle Monty and I think
Carmen
Oct 05, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
These books are amazing. This book is a little darker than the first. It tells you right from the beginning that Uncle Monty will be killed. Other examples of darkness:

p. 51 ...he would slit the throats of the Baudelaire orphans as easily as you or I might eat a small butter cookie.

p.76 If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would already be pouring down these stairs like a waterfall.

p.88 The hallway was strangely quiet, and blank as the eyes of a skull.

p.96 It is a curious thing, the dea
Richard Denney
Mar 21, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it
4 STARS!!

description

Finished this is one day! It was a great follow up to the first and was much more dark, dreary, and funny. I also really like snakes, so I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first. When I finished it though I couldn't help but wonder HOW this series goes on to 13 books? you can only drag on the same story line for so long until it gets irritating and boring. I can't promise I'll read all 13 but I will try. Now onto the third!

- Richard
Dec 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
The books I love and hate. I have rarely had a reaction to books like I have with these. I don't like them and yet I am compelled to read them - and their is a hint of a good plot in their somewhere.

I found some of the factoids spit out in the this one kind of interesting in an animal kingdom kind of way.
Kareena
Feb 15, 2013 Kareena rated it it was amazing
This book starts off quite pleasantly but contains a spoiler. It says that Uncle Monty dies which is quite unfortnate because he is a pleasant fellow. This book is as good as the first one and is definitely wworth the time it takes to read.
Brooke
Dec 29, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one a little bit more than the first book. Lemony Snicket is a great writer, perhaps a little morbid for children; focusing on a story of a man who harms and murders people, but still somehow a fun and entertaining read!
Bonnie
Poor Uncle Monty.
Billie
Apr 22, 2016 Billie rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better and better tbh
I love Lemony Snicket's writing style and ugh I just love everything about these books
Aso
Jun 19, 2015 Aso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, children
Violet was brilliant!
Klaus was brilliant!
Sunny was adorable and brilliant!
and
the Incredibly Deadly Viper was brilliant!
Georgia Barker
Feb 29, 2012 Georgia Barker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
" It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?" Lemony Snicket, The original Jack Sparrow.
The Baudelaires are now living with their uncle Dr Montgomery Montgomery, a reptile enthusiast and are having the time of there lives, till Count Olaf decides he still wants them pesky kids so he can have the fortune. Fun ensues.

All the the series of unfor
Melissa
Feb 03, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereads, read-2015
*3.5 stars*

This was a fun, easy read, and I enjoyed this one even more than the first one. It's not the most amazing series ever, but they're just light, fun childrens books, and I'm really enjoying rereading them.
Julie
Oct 02, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Originally read April 2014. #grandASOUEreread2015

3.5 stars! I can't figure out why I don't like this book as much as other fans do -- although it might just come down to Mr. Poe, because he's so heavily-involved in this one and I want to drop-kick him off the Mortmain Mountains. And I feel like I wanted more interjections/personal asides from Snicket.

But that's a subjective thing! The book itself is fun, and one of the poor kids' last glimmers of real happiness -- which is appropriately-timed, b
Reggie
Apr 11, 2016 Reggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, read-in-2016
Again, this series got away from me when I was a kid and I'm SO disappointed by that. This book was so great, not as lovely as the first book but that might remain my favorite in the series bc the shock of how much I loved it probably won't wear off any time soon. This one was only a small margin of a step down, and mostly because it just made me sad. hah, that's kinda the point of these books though, isn't it? Still great audiobook production value, can't wait to continue on with the series.
Ana
Mar 18, 2016 Ana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apesar do autor sempre deixar bem claro que não há final feliz nesses livros e me encorajar a ler algo mais positivo em outro lugar, não consigo deixar de me indignar com as atitudes de sr Poe. Ele acaba sendo indiretamente vilão também junto com Olaf. Espero que morra no final da série.

Sunny, pra mim, é definitivamente o melhor bebê da literatura. Não consigo lembrar de outro livro que tenha um bebê tão cativante quanto essa.
Francesca
I'm sorry to say that this is not among my favorite series. Yes, I love the three lovely siblings, really love them, and I do like the Lemony Snicket's ironic tone. Anyway, I find the plot too depressing, to the point where I'm not really enjoying the book. I will not continue with the following volume The Wide Window even though I have it here near me, recently borrowed from my library.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 10, 2012 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
...And thus we continue the Baudelaire children's misadventures, along with the likes of Mr. Poe, we are introduced to Uncle Monty who unfortunately will spend but a short time with us, and then here comes Count Olaf again...
Aprille
Sep 10, 2013 Aprille rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Eerie and creepy. I found this one a bit harder to read. Coz it really went overboard with the vocabulary and explanations. It also uses phrases repetitively. I would say, that the first book is better.
Nadine
Apr 11, 2016 Nadine rated it it was amazing
"This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you."

This is my first reread of The Reptile Room and I absolutely loved it. I first read this series a long time ago when the books were first being published. I remember loving them, but I don't remember anything about the plot so I figured now is the time to reread the series.

What I love most about this series is Snicket's writing style. It's fun, direct, and easy to understand. It's the perfect writing style for children. He often ex
Dan
Aug 22, 2015 Dan rated it liked it
Quick and easy read. I read this mostly in one sitting and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it was a bit slower than the first book. These books are just so fun to read. The writing is great and the Baudelaire children are great protagonist that really knows how to outsmart every naive adult in this series. I'm excited to see where the rest of it goes.
Katie
Jun 08, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a cute book and a nice quick read
John Velo
Apr 14, 2016 John Velo rated it liked it
Shelves: listenedto
Steph
Feb 21, 2016 Steph rated it liked it
A good book I liked it I don't know why but I like the first one a bit more but this one was awesome. To be a child and know about murder strange but I liked it it was kind of good. What I think attracting me to the series is how it never gets better it just gets worse and worse talk about overcoming obstacles LOL
Kristina
Mar 22, 2016 Kristina rated it liked it
Definitely fan of Lemony Snicket's writing style! :) I'll probably continue with the series.
Suni
Apr 13, 2016 Suni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, 1990s, ed-salani
Allo stesso modo in cui i Baudelaire desideravano che la loro situazione fosse diversa, io desidererei poter cambiare in qualche modo questa vicenda. Anche seduto qui, ben lontano dal Conte Olaf, mi è difficile scrivere una sola parola. Forse sarebbe meglio per voi chiudere questo libro e non leggere mai il seguito di questa storia terrificante.

Secondo romanzo della saga "Una serie di sfortunati eventi", strutturalmente è molto simile al precedente ma vi si può notare una nota di cupezza in più.
HI HI HI HI HI HI HI 39 220 Nov 28, 2015 07:04AM
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Junie B. Jones Is (Almost) a Flower Girl (Junie B. Jones, #13)
  • Pirateology: The Pirate Hunter's Companion (Ologies, #4)
  • Into the Mist (The Land of Elyon, 0.5)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • Island of the Aunts
  • Hour of the Olympics (Magic Tree House, #16)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles, #4)
  • Captain Underpants and the Big Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (Captain Underpants, #7)
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you.” 1101 likes