Start by marking “The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  125,906 Ratings  ·  3,845 Reviews
Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale. I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire childr
Published September 30th 1999 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published August 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Reptile Room, please sign up.

Jess Yes. I don't know what these other people are trying to tell you, but the world is very hard for orphans.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHoles by Louis Sachar
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
28th out of 981 books — 1,655 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
I Saw the Movie & Read the Book
129th out of 1,473 books — 1,549 voters

More lists with this book...

Riley
Sep 09, 2015 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While re-reading this series my main question is why the hell is an incompetent banker the only adult helping these children. Like where are the police or social workers????
Kennia Belikov
Jan 27, 2016 Kennia Belikov rated it it was amazing
*first read Jan 21*

#RYBSAT seriously though, the ending to each book in The Series of Unfortunate Events makes me cry! This ending tore my heart!
Each book only gets better. I probably loved this one more than The Bad Beginning, if that's even possible. I have to say, Sunny had her shinning moments in this book and is quickly becoming my favorite character! She's just so adorable!

Mr. Snicket's commentary throughout this book was awesome and so hilarious! And his writing is so poetically magnific
Brendon Schrodinger
Nov 20, 2015 Brendon Schrodinger rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
In this second volume, the Baudelaire children are sent to stay with another distant relative who is a herpetologist - studies snakes, therefore the reptile room of the title. What proceeds is another adventure of mishaps and contrived situations that see the children triumph, yet not at the same time.

There is nothing new to report here, I felt the same way about this novel as the last - a little bit creeped out, a lot bored. There is the explaining of words, which I do like and the hint of som
Carmen
Oct 05, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
These books are amazing. This book is a little darker than the first. It tells you right from the beginning that Uncle Monty will be killed. Other examples of darkness:

p. 51 ...he would slit the throats of the Baudelaire orphans as easily as you or I might eat a small butter cookie.

p.76 If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would already be pouring down these stairs like a waterfall.

p.88 The hallway was strangely quiet, and blank as the eyes of a skull.

p.96 It is a curious thing, the dea
C.W.
Feb 23, 2016 C.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5. Enjoyed this much more than the first one! Uncle Monty is seriously great. I mean, I really just want to see these kids be happy, but I can’t help but wonder how Lemony Snicket can make it worse for them...
Lesley
Aug 30, 2016 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
For anyone who isn't familiar with Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, it's a 13 part children's book series that follows the lives of the three Baudelaire children, Violet, Klaus and Sunny after their parents perish in a fire that destroyed their family home. Cheerful right? Honestly, it's wonderful.

The story is told from the narrative perspective of Lemony Snicket. The concept, the literary devices, the language used are all wholly unique to me. The fact that Daniel Handler create
Mark Lawrence
Nov 21, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it
So, Celyn and I cruised on to book 2, pausing only for breath.

This book sets a pattern, a formula, that is repeated in each of the books we've read so far.

The children move to a new place.

All the adults are idiots.

Count Olaaf arrives in disguise and at some point a selected member of his theatre troop will show up, also in disguise (someone may have been bumped off to make space for one or both of them).

The children see through his disguise in an instant.

The adults don't believe them.

Count Ol
Jason Koivu
Jun 27, 2016 Jason Koivu rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A retread of the last book, but with a less interesting, though kinder, caretaker for the forlorn Baudelaire orphans.
Tfitoby
Nov 05, 2012 Tfitoby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is good light reading to pass away a quiet evening at work. For a grown man such as myself I can't ask for or expect more.

It's an enjoyable sequel filled with all of the same reading pleasures (and all of the same pitfalls for the Baudelaire orphans) as novel the first. I've been reliably informed by Jay that I must read 5 of the same book before things start getting better. When using the term 'getting better' here Jay means 'the plot changes.'

This episode features Uncle Monty and I think
Dec 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
The books I love and hate. I have rarely had a reaction to books like I have with these. I don't like them and yet I am compelled to read them - and their is a hint of a good plot in their somewhere.

I found some of the factoids spit out in the this one kind of interesting in an animal kingdom kind of way.
Richard Denney
Mar 21, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it
4 STARS!!

description

Finished this is one day! It was a great follow up to the first and was much more dark, dreary, and funny. I also really like snakes, so I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first. When I finished it though I couldn't help but wonder HOW this series goes on to 13 books? you can only drag on the same story line for so long until it gets irritating and boring. I can't promise I'll read all 13 but I will try. Now onto the third!

- Richard
Brooke
Dec 29, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one a little bit more than the first book. Lemony Snicket is a great writer, perhaps a little morbid for children; focusing on a story of a man who harms and murders people, but still somehow a fun and entertaining read!
Andrew
Jun 16, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so why am I reading this - well I admit that I hate leaving a series part completed and having read the first book in this series some time ago (okay I could look it up on GR for the exact time) I thought it was time to set things right. After all this series is sitting on its own little book shelf mocking me so I thought it was about time I did something about it.

That said this is also a classic of its time (go on challenge me) so I thought also that I should really see what happens outsi
Kareena
Feb 15, 2013 Kareena rated it it was amazing
This book starts off quite pleasantly but contains a spoiler. It says that Uncle Monty dies which is quite unfortnate because he is a pleasant fellow. This book is as good as the first one and is definitely wworth the time it takes to read.
Bonnie
Poor Uncle Monty.
Janie Johnson
Jun 06, 2016 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Wow this was a real quick read for me. Read it in about 6 hours and really enjoyed this one which is book 2 to the Series of Unfortunate Events. I enjoyed this one more than the first one and I am hoping the series continues to get better.

Synopsis
Dear Reader,

Aso
Jun 19, 2015 Aso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, children
Violet was brilliant!
Klaus was brilliant!
Sunny was adorable and brilliant!
and
the Incredibly Deadly Viper was brilliant!
David Schaafsma
Nov 28, 2016 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tweens
Several years ago I read three or more volumes from this series. I pretty much loved the first one but thought the later ones were just doing more of the same, so stopped reading. My ten year old son recently read the first one and liked it a lot, so on the road to Grandma and Grandpa's house--just the right distance from Chicago for this book to get heard via audiobook--we read it. Listening to it, I am reminded why I liked this series about the Baudelaire orphans from the beginning:

*it's funny
Georgia Barker
Feb 29, 2012 Georgia Barker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
" It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?" Lemony Snicket, The original Jack Sparrow.
The Baudelaires are now living with their uncle Dr Montgomery Montgomery, a reptile enthusiast and are having the time of there lives, till Count Olaf decides he still wants them pesky kids so he can have the fortune. Fun ensues.

All the the series of unfor
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

A flair for disaster. That is what circulates in his veins. Lemony Snicket continues to deliver events of the most unfortunate kind with The Reptile Room. The story continues where the last book left off. Finding a new host for the Beaudelaire children didn’t take too much time, but will bring them into a whole new chapter of their life. Lemony Snicket doesn’t forget to warn readers of the potential terrors that this series will bring us and giv
Plínio Mendes
May 30, 2016 Plínio Mendes rated it really liked it
Angustiante!!

Eu só queria dizer para os órfãos Baudelaire que vai ficar tudo bem (pelo menos eu espero que fique).
Daniel Handler me presenteando mais uma vez com sua escrita repleta de sarcasmo e humor negro. Muito bom!!
Melissa
Feb 03, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereads, read-2015
*3.5 stars*

This was a fun, easy read, and I enjoyed this one even more than the first one. It's not the most amazing series ever, but they're just light, fun childrens books, and I'm really enjoying rereading them.
Sandra Bašić
May 12, 2016 Sandra Bašić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simpa nastavak o nesretnim događajima troje siročića Baudelaire. Svaka čast na Snicketovoj mašti, taman kad su dječica na rubu sreće, eto njega da odmah pukne kontru i sve je opet jadno i žalosno... baš me zanima kako će serijal završiti!
Bam
#2016-aty-reading-challenge--week-23: the next book in a series you are reading.

The second installment in the adventures of the Baudelaire orphans finds them arriving at the home of Dr Montgomery, the preeminent herpetologist. He is also expecting the arrival of a new assistant named Stephano to replace his former assistant who left abruptly, leaving only a note. The children soon realize that the new man is really Count Olaf in disguise and have to find a way to warn the adults before it's too
Irene
Jun 11, 2016 Irene rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, english, 2016
To me, this book was not quite as good as the first.

I liked how the three children were acting together and seeing all the things the adults weren't, and I liked Uncle Monty. Violet is a genius and I really like her.

This book is witty and different enough from the first one that it doesn't feel dull and repetitive.
All the references were great as well, like Red Riding Hood and the story of the boy who cried wolf (does that one have a name?).

And I'm on to the next book!
April
Sep 10, 2013 April rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Eerie and creepy. I found this one a bit harder to read. Coz it really went overboard with the vocabulary and explanations. It also uses phrases repetitively. I would say, that the first book is better.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 10, 2012 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
...And thus we continue the Baudelaire children's misadventures, along with the likes of Mr. Poe, we are introduced to Uncle Monty who unfortunately will spend but a short time with us, and then here comes Count Olaf again...
Kirsty
Jun 15, 2016 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in The Series of Unfortunate Events collection, and while this review won't have any spoilers in it for this book, there may be spoilers for the first book. As I mentioned in my review for the previous book in this series, I didn't read this series as a child, so my review will focus on my experience of reading this book as an adult.

This novel picks up from where the previous book left off, as the children get taken to a new distant relative to live with, which leaves the
Saakshi Roy
Oct 19, 2014 Saakshi Roy rated it it was amazing
Before I say anything else, please close your ears......... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Count Olaf is back! Oh my gods, just as the Baudelaire orphans were beginning to get happy, this idiotic man comes rampaging into the story. WHY?! And poor Uncle Montgomerry- Uncle Monty for us- he took such good care of the children and that heartless old rouge just slaughtered him....*wails*

What I liked about this book was the way it was written. I must say that the writer has a very unique way of authoring these
HI HI HI HI HI HI HI 39 221 Nov 28, 2015 07:04AM
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)
  • The Landry News
  • Dizzy
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • Aliens Don't Wear Braces (Bailey School Kids #7)
  • Everything New Under The Sun (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #10)
  • The Stowaway Solution (On The Run, #4)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you.” 1104 likes