Start by marking “The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  122,128 Ratings  ·  3,581 Reviews
Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale. I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire childr
Published September 30th 1999 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published August 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Reptile Room, please sign up.

Danny Bhagat
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHoles by Louis Sachar
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
26th out of 1,019 books — 1,842 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
I Saw the Movie & Read the Book
130th out of 1,446 books — 1,529 voters

More lists with this book...

Riley
Sep 09, 2015 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While re-reading this series my main question is why the hell is an incompetent banker the only adult helping these children. Like where are the police or social workers????
Kennia Belikov
Jan 27, 2016 Kennia Belikov rated it it was amazing
*first read Jan 21*

#RYBSAT seriously though, the ending to each book in The Series of Unfortunate Events makes me cry! This ending tore my heart!
Each book only gets better. I probably loved this one more than The Bad Beginning, if that's even possible. I have to say, Sunny had her shinning moments in this book and is quickly becoming my favorite character! She's just so adorable!

Mr. Snicket's commentary throughout this book was awesome and so hilarious! And his writing is so poetically magnific
Brendon Schrodinger
Nov 20, 2015 Brendon Schrodinger rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
In this second volume, the Baudelaire children are sent to stay with another distant relative who is a herpetologist - studies snakes, therefore the reptile room of the title. What proceeds is another adventure of mishaps and contrived situations that see the children triumph, yet not at the same time.

There is nothing new to report here, I felt the same way about this novel as the last - a little bit creeped out, a lot bored. There is the explaining of words, which I do like and the hint of som
C.W.
Feb 23, 2016 C.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5. Enjoyed this much more than the first one! Uncle Monty is seriously great. I mean, I really just want to see these kids be happy, but I can’t help but wonder how Lemony Snicket can make it worse for them...
Carmen
Oct 05, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
These books are amazing. This book is a little darker than the first. It tells you right from the beginning that Uncle Monty will be killed. Other examples of darkness:

p. 51 ...he would slit the throats of the Baudelaire orphans as easily as you or I might eat a small butter cookie.

p.76 If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would already be pouring down these stairs like a waterfall.

p.88 The hallway was strangely quiet, and blank as the eyes of a skull.

p.96 It is a curious thing, the dea
Mark Lawrence
Feb 17, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it
So, Celyn and I cruised on to book 2, pausing only for breath.

This book sets a pattern, a formula, that is repeated in each of the books we've read so far.

The children move to a new place.

All the adults are idiots.

Count Olaaf arrives in disguise and at some point a selected member of his theatre troop will show up, also in disguise (someone may have been bumped off to make space for one or both of them).

The children see through his disguise in an instant.

The adults don't believe them.

Count Ol
Jason Koivu
Jun 27, 2016 Jason Koivu rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A retread of the last book, but with a less interesting, though kinder, caretaker for the forlorn Baudelaire orphans.
Tfitoby
Nov 05, 2012 Tfitoby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is good light reading to pass away a quiet evening at work. For a grown man such as myself I can't ask for or expect more.

It's an enjoyable sequel filled with all of the same reading pleasures (and all of the same pitfalls for the Baudelaire orphans) as novel the first. I've been reliably informed by Jay that I must read 5 of the same book before things start getting better. When using the term 'getting better' here Jay means 'the plot changes.'

This episode features Uncle Monty and I think
Richard Denney
Mar 21, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it
4 STARS!!

description

Finished this is one day! It was a great follow up to the first and was much more dark, dreary, and funny. I also really like snakes, so I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first. When I finished it though I couldn't help but wonder HOW this series goes on to 13 books? you can only drag on the same story line for so long until it gets irritating and boring. I can't promise I'll read all 13 but I will try. Now onto the third!

- Richard
Andrew
Jun 16, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so why am I reading this - well I admit that I hate leaving a series part completed and having read the first book in this series some time ago (okay I could look it up on GR for the exact time) I thought it was time to set things right. After all this series is sitting on its own little book shelf mocking me so I thought it was about time I did something about it.

That said this is also a classic of its time (go on challenge me) so I thought also that I should really see what happens outsi
Dec 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
The books I love and hate. I have rarely had a reaction to books like I have with these. I don't like them and yet I am compelled to read them - and their is a hint of a good plot in their somewhere.

I found some of the factoids spit out in the this one kind of interesting in an animal kingdom kind of way.
Kareena
Feb 15, 2013 Kareena rated it it was amazing
This book starts off quite pleasantly but contains a spoiler. It says that Uncle Monty dies which is quite unfortnate because he is a pleasant fellow. This book is as good as the first one and is definitely wworth the time it takes to read.
Brooke
Dec 29, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one a little bit more than the first book. Lemony Snicket is a great writer, perhaps a little morbid for children; focusing on a story of a man who harms and murders people, but still somehow a fun and entertaining read!
Janie Johnson
Jun 06, 2016 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Wow this was a real quick read for me. Read it in about 6 hours and really enjoyed this one which is book 2 to the Series of Unfortunate Events. I enjoyed this one more than the first one and I am hoping the series continues to get better.

Synopsis
Dear Reader,

Bonnie
Poor Uncle Monty.
Billie
Jun 10, 2016 Billie rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better and better tbh
I love Lemony Snicket's writing style and ugh I just love everything about these books
Aso
Jun 19, 2015 Aso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, children
Violet was brilliant!
Klaus was brilliant!
Sunny was adorable and brilliant!
and
the Incredibly Deadly Viper was brilliant!
Georgia Barker
Feb 29, 2012 Georgia Barker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
" It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?" Lemony Snicket, The original Jack Sparrow.
The Baudelaires are now living with their uncle Dr Montgomery Montgomery, a reptile enthusiast and are having the time of there lives, till Count Olaf decides he still wants them pesky kids so he can have the fortune. Fun ensues.

All the the series of unfor
Natt BookEuphoria
Jun 05, 2016 Natt BookEuphoria rated it really liked it
This second installment in this series was a re-read. it is so far my second favorite book in the series. I really liked it though I felt like there could have been more action. I loved the characters as always and I love the way they sort their way through very miserable and moral-crushing situations. I really liked Uncle Monty and am quite sad because of what happened to him. I really recommend this series to any person of any age. I think anyone can find something for themselves in this book. ...more
Plínio Mendes
May 30, 2016 Plínio Mendes rated it really liked it
Angustiante!!

Eu só queria dizer para os órfãos Baudelaire que vai ficar tudo bem (pelo menos eu espero que fique).
Daniel Handler me presenteando mais uma vez com sua escrita repleta de sarcasmo e humor negro. Muito bom!!
Sandra Bašić
May 12, 2016 Sandra Bašić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simpa nastavak o nesretnim događajima troje siročića Baudelaire. Svaka čast na Snicketovoj mašti, taman kad su dječica na rubu sreće, eto njega da odmah pukne kontru i sve je opet jadno i žalosno... baš me zanima kako će serijal završiti!
Melissa
Feb 03, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereads, read-2015
*3.5 stars*

This was a fun, easy read, and I enjoyed this one even more than the first one. It's not the most amazing series ever, but they're just light, fun childrens books, and I'm really enjoying rereading them.
Kirsty
Jun 15, 2016 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in The Series of Unfortunate Events collection, and while this review won't have any spoilers in it for this book, there may be spoilers for the first book. As I mentioned in my review for the previous book in this series, I didn't read this series as a child, so my review will focus on my experience of reading this book as an adult.

This novel picks up from where the previous book left off, as the children get taken to a new distant relative to live with, which leaves the
Bam
#2016-aty-reading-challenge--week-23: the next book in a series you are reading.

The second installment in the adventures of the Baudelaire orphans finds them arriving at the home of Dr Montgomery, the preeminent herpetologist. He is also expecting the arrival of a new assistant named Stephano to replace his former assistant who left abruptly, leaving only a note. The children soon realize that the new man is really Count Olaf in disguise and have to find a way to warn the adults before it's too
Julie
Oct 02, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Originally read April 2014. #grandASOUEreread2015

3.5 stars! I can't figure out why I don't like this book as much as other fans do -- although it might just come down to Mr. Poe, because he's so heavily-involved in this one and I want to drop-kick him off the Mortmain Mountains. And I feel like I wanted more interjections/personal asides from Snicket.

But that's a subjective thing! The book itself is fun, and one of the poor kids' last glimmers of real happiness -- which is appropriately-timed, b
Reggie
Apr 11, 2016 Reggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, read-in-2016
Again, this series got away from me when I was a kid and I'm SO disappointed by that. This book was so great, not as lovely as the first book but that might remain my favorite in the series bc the shock of how much I loved it probably won't wear off any time soon. This one was only a small margin of a step down, and mostly because it just made me sad. hah, that's kinda the point of these books though, isn't it? Still great audiobook production value, can't wait to continue on with the series.
Irene
Jun 11, 2016 Irene rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, english, 2016
To me, this book was not quite as good as the first.

I liked how the three children were acting together and seeing all the things the adults weren't, and I liked Uncle Monty. Violet is a genius and I really like her.

This book is witty and different enough from the first one that it doesn't feel dull and repetitive.
All the references were great as well, like Red Riding Hood and the story of the boy who cried wolf (does that one have a name?).

And I'm on to the next book!
Ana
Mar 18, 2016 Ana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apesar do autor sempre deixar bem claro que não há final feliz nesses livros e me encorajar a ler algo mais positivo em outro lugar, não consigo deixar de me indignar com as atitudes de sr Poe. Ele acaba sendo indiretamente vilão também junto com Olaf. Espero que morra no final da série.

Sunny, pra mim, é definitivamente o melhor bebê da literatura. Não consigo lembrar de outro livro que tenha um bebê tão cativante quanto essa.
Francesca
I'm sorry to say that this is not among my favorite series. Yes, I love the three lovely siblings, really love them, and I do like the Lemony Snicket's ironic tone. Anyway, I find the plot too depressing, to the point where I'm not really enjoying the book. I will not continue with the following volume The Wide Window even though I have it here near me, recently borrowed from my library.
HI HI HI HI HI HI HI 39 221 Nov 28, 2015 07:04AM
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)
  • The Landry News
  • Dizzy
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • Aliens Don't Wear Braces (Bailey School Kids #7)
  • Everything New Under The Sun (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #10)
  • The Stowaway Solution (On The Run, #4)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you.” 1105 likes