Start by marking “The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  103,276 ratings  ·  2,861 reviews
Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale. I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire childr
Published September 30th 1999 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Reptile Room, please sign up.

Danny Bhagat
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHoles by Louis SacharThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanFledgling by Mark A. Cooper
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
20th out of 936 books — 1,873 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
I Saw the Movie & Read the Book
136th out of 1,311 books — 1,404 voters

More lists with this book...

Riley
While re-reading this series my main question is why the hell is an incompetent banker the only adult helping these children. Like where are the police or social workers????
Kennia Belikov
#RYBSAT seriously though, the ending to each book in The Series of Unfortunate Events makes me cry! This ending tore my heart!
Each book only gets better. I probably loved this one more than The Bad Beginning, if that's even possible. I have to say, Sunny had her shinning moments in this book and is quickly becoming my favorite character! She's just so adorable!

Mr. Snicket's commentary throughout this book was awesome and so hilarious! And his writing is so poetically magnificent! I am in love w
Tfitoby
This is good light reading to pass away a quiet evening at work. For a grown man such as myself I can't ask for or expect more.

It's an enjoyable sequel filled with all of the same reading pleasures (and all of the same pitfalls for the Baudelaire orphans) as novel the first. I've been reliably informed by Jay that I must read 5 of the same book before things start getting better. When using the term 'getting better' here Jay means 'the plot changes.'

This episode features Uncle Monty and I think
The books I love and hate. I have rarely had a reaction to books like I have with these. I don't like them and yet I am compelled to read them - and their is a hint of a good plot in their somewhere.

I found some of the factoids spit out in the this one kind of interesting in an animal kingdom kind of way.
Kareena
This book starts off quite pleasantly but contains a spoiler. It says that Uncle Monty dies which is quite unfortnate because he is a pleasant fellow. This book is as good as the first one and is definitely wworth the time it takes to read.
Georgia Barker
" It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?" Lemony Snicket, The original Jack Sparrow.
The Baudelaires are now living with their uncle Dr Montgomery Montgomery, a reptile enthusiast and are having the time of there lives, till Count Olaf decides he still wants them pesky kids so he can have the fortune. Fun ensues.

All the the series of unfor
Aso
Violet was brilliant!
Klaus was brilliant!
Sunny was adorable and brilliant!
and
the Incredibly Deadly Viper was brilliant!
Melissa
*3.5 stars*

This was a fun, easy read, and I enjoyed this one even more than the first one. It's not the most amazing series ever, but they're just light, fun childrens books, and I'm really enjoying rereading them.
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
These books are amazing. This book is a little darker than the first. It tells you right from the beginning that Uncle Monty will be killed. Other examples of darkness:
p. 51 ...he would slit the throats of the Baudelaire orphans as easily as you or I might eat a small butter cookie.
p.76 If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would already be pouring down these stairs like a waterfall.
p.88 The hallway was strangely quiet, and blank as the eyes of a skull.
p.96 It is a curious thing, the dea
Marts  (Thinker)
...And thus we continue the Baudelaire children's misadventures, along with the likes of Mr. Poe, we are introduced to Uncle Monty who unfortunately will spend but a short time with us, and then here comes Count Olaf again...
Katie
Definitely a cute book and a nice quick read
Aprille
Eerie and creepy. I found this one a bit harder to read. Coz it really went overboard with the vocabulary and explanations. It also uses phrases repetitively. I would say, that the first book is better.
Saakshi Roy
Before I say anything else, please close your ears......... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Count Olaf is back! Oh my gods, just as the Baudelaire orphans were beginning to get happy, this idiotic man comes rampaging into the story. WHY?! And poor Uncle Montgomerry- Uncle Monty for us- he took such good care of the children and that heartless old rouge just slaughtered him....*wails*

What I liked about this book was the way it was written. I must say that the writer has a very unique way of authoring these
Kimberley doruyter
how are these 3 kids so much smarter then all the adults they meet?
Mark Lawrence
So, Celyn and I cruised on to book 2, pausing only for breath.

This book sets a pattern, a formula, that is repeated in each of the books we've read so far.

The children move to a new place.

All the adults are idiots.

Count Olaaf arrives in disguise and at some point a selected member of his theatre troop will show up, also in disguise (someone may have been bumped off to make space for one or both of them).

The children see through his disguise in an instant.

The adults don't believe them.

Count Ol
Whitney
i really like this whole series! and for those that are like me, and you want to know what the story is about, here is the basic summary of the entire series...

It is about three kids and their parents die in a fire. They were given to a man named Count Olaf, and he is a really bad man. the reason he wants them is because in their parent's will, they left the children a HUGE fortune. He wants there money very badly. They only way he can get the money is to keep the kids until the oldest one is of
Heidi
Ahhhh, I just love these books.

I love how you can pick them up and read them in one sitting. For an hour or two you are immersed in this dark, gritty, morbid world of Lemony Snicket and the Baudelaire children. I think this is such a good middle grade series.

Snicket packs his stories with humour to break the tension which works so well. Whilst the foreshadowing tells you exactly whats going to happen, it works in a way to give you just enough information to make you want to find out how it happ
Kirsten
I wanted to LOVE these books, but I only got to book 4 (though I read the last one too), and found them annoyingly predictable by then.

I love that their tone is maudlin and they are so creative in so many ways. I liked the three children: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. My favorite parts are the author asides - where he has to explain a word or some universal life aspect.

Unfortunately that aspect will never be captured in a film version - as with Harry Potter - the humor is observational, in the aut
Rinda Elwakil
أجواء شبيهة ب هاري بوتر و حجرة الأسرار
Harry potter and the chamber of secrets.

قصة لطيفة :)
Erin Ashley
The thing I liked most about this story was the oppurtunity for happiness. It is terrible that it never comes to fruition because of Count Olaf but having the idea floating in the air made it an enjoyable read before it all came crashing down in death and destruction. Lemony Snicket has a real gift for all things that are to be learnt. He is wise and really does make me want to be able to meet him. The Reptile Room stands as one of my favourites out of the series to date, definately giving this ...more
Nikinnia Smith garcia
After escaping from Count Olaf Violet, Sunny, and Klaus are sent to like with Dr. Montgomery, another distant relative who researches reptiles. Uncle Monty, as he tells the kids to call him seems to be a very nice man and seems to genuinely care for the children. Unfortunately his normal assistant, Gustav has resigned and he has to hire another assistant. Of course the new assistant is Count Olaf, who is disguising himself as a man named Stephano.
The kids really enjoy staying with Uncle Monty,
Alexis Drake
La stanza delle serpi, secondo capitolo delle disavventure degli orfani Baudelaire, ci presenta un quadro che, almeno all’inizio, è piuttosto piacevole per i bambini.
Sfuggiti al conte Olaf nel primo libro, i piccoli vengono ora portati dallo zio Montgomery Montgomery, detto Zio Monty, un famoso erpetologo.
Certo, la strada che porta alla sua casa non è delle migliori, ma una volta arrivati, Violet, Klaus e Sunny scoprono che avranno ognuno una propria camera da letto, che potranno leggere tutti i
Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
Took me less than an hour to reread this. The adults are so frustratingly stupid in this book.

Also, many of these reptiles do not exist. And reptiles cannot blink. Or cry. But it was nice that it wasn't an OMG SNAKES ARE SCARY BOOK

Snakes are cute. Also, do not mix poisonous with venomous. There is a difference. Yes, even children's books must make sense to me.
Jbb Lim
A wonderful follow up of the series. As you were being brought into a new place, you will be thinking is this a new villain. Heck no! There were mysteries revolves in the 2nd book which makes it more interesting.

Author never fails to interact with his audience still, which is a good thing to stray your mind aways from some "tense" moment. Haha! As I was reading, I am aware that that the Baudelair children are more mature now. Sunny is one character that caught me by surprise in this book.

Let's
Gabrielle
from dark to darker. Is it strange that I find solace in this miserable place?
Catherine
The audio version of this book is worth a listen, if for no other reason than to hear Tim Curry repeat the word "ever" -- which in his lovely accent, with various inflections, most often sounds more like "evah" -- for what I can assume is an entire page in the original text. And also this song by The Gothic Archies, which you can just listen to here.

In addition, either version of the book contains gems like these:

“When somebody is a little bit wrong - say, when a waiter puts nonfat milk in your
Zelie
Ellie
I love this whole series. I read it alongside my daughter. We even liked the film, although it was somewhat disappointing. Clever and witty and easily enjoyed by both children and parents with a wicked sense of humor and a good feeling for the nastiness of child readers while not crossing the boundaries of what truly terrifies them (cf. my review of George Orwell's Animal Farm!).

Unlike Oprah, I do not think children are just like grown-ups only smaller. They are qualitatively (not just quantitat
Robert
"Too much of everything is just enough."
Barlow & Weir

On the heels of completing A Bad Beginning earlier today, I finished The Reptile Room this afternoon. The Reptile Room is the second book in A Series of Unfortunate Events.

The Bauderlaire children continue their misfortune in this exciting tale that has them combating Count Olaf once again.

Despite never having a happy ending, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny begin this book with happy times. After escaping Count Olaf's plot to marry Violet and tak
Lesley
Feb 05, 2012 Lesley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
For anyone who isn't familiar with Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, it's a 13 part children's book series that follows the lives of the three Baudelaire children, Violet, Klaus and Sunny after their parents perish in a fire that destroyed their family home. Cheerful right? Honestly, it's wonderful.

The story is told from the narrative perspective of Lemony Snicket. The concept, the literary devices, the language used are all wholly unique to me. The fact that Daniel Handler create
HI HI HI HI HI HI HI 37 208 Mar 19, 2015 01:20PM
The Neverlanders: The Reptile Room - Goodreads Discussion 4 21 Feb 09, 2015 05:25PM
The Nooks of Books: The Reptile Room 1 1 Jan 28, 2015 03:10AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 6 Nov 08, 2014 07:16AM
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1)
  • The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me
  • The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday (Junie B. Jones, #6)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The More, The Merrier (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #8)
  • The Landry News
  • Tales From the Hood (The Sisters Grimm, #6)
  • The Angel's Command (Flying Dutchman, #2)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5) The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4) The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)

“This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you.” 1085 likes