Start by marking “Blood Lite II: Overbite (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)” as Want to Read:
Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)

Blood Lite II: Overbite (Blood Lite #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  934 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Putting the fun back into dark fiction, this new collection of humorous and highly entertaining horror-filled tales features sidesplitting stories by such "New York Times"-bestselling authors as Heather Graham, L.A. Banks, and Kelley Armstrong.

Contents:

Dark Carbuncle • (2010) • shortfiction by Kevin J. Anderson and Janis Ian
Death and Taxes • (2010) • shortfiction by Heathe
Published September 28th 2010 by Gallery Books (first published September 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lite II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lite II

The Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareDaughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
Blood and Bone
156th out of 185 books — 23 voters
Luna Aeturnus by Simon OkillLuna Sanguis by Simon OkillPapap's Teeth by Danielle DeVorDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisAbraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith
bloody covers
181st out of 189 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
Two of the Elder Gods are sitting around talking about how they maybe shouldn't have killed ALL the humans during the Apocalypse. The one with the carapace-covered head says, "We should have saved some for later."

The one with all the tentacles has his own theory.

"Sure, lunatics make for fantastic prophets and are great at parties but - I think one of his screams is still lodged in my teeth. No, wait," he said, picking at something among the rows of jagged thorns lining his mouth. "It's just a
Lisa Kessler
Fun anthology! I haven't read all of the stories just yet, but the highlights so far as Kelley Armstrong's story with Hope and Karl. (my most favorite werewolf from her Otherworld series) They have an exciting evening at the museum with one of the Devil's minions... Whee!

And JA Konrath has a really short story that had a super twist at the end...

The other stories are quick "Bites" of light-hearted horror... :)
Tatiana
Read only Kelley Armstrong's short story Lucifer's Daughter, the rest of the authors I've never even heard of.

Hope Adams and her werewolf squeeze Karl Marsten are attending a museum exhibition where Karl inadvertently releases a demon. Mayhem ensues.

The story is about 25 pages, short, cute, funny and with a sweet ending. Hope, naturally, faints a lot.
Mike
A good collection of short stories, worth a read.
Bree
Okay, I just bought it for the Hope & Karl story by Kelley Armstrong. Which means I paid $10.89 for that short story.

I don't regret it, either. Enough said.
Ariana Carlos
I would give 5 stars to some stories and 4 to others and 3.5 to some.

Not all stories managed to get me engrossed in their worlds while reading, but they were fun and interesting. While this would usually be something I read without putting it down, I think I am now turning toward stories which are more about the plot and the characters than about the way they are written. I just don't seem to care that much anymore about how they are written. Also, I seem to prefer other genres these days.

Why I
Deborah
Dark Carbuncle • (2010) • shortfiction by Kevin J. Anderson and Janis Ian
Death and Taxes • (2010) • shortfiction by Heather Graham
Table for Two • (2010) • shortfiction by Jeff Ryan
Treatment • (2010) • shortfiction by J. A. Konrath
Dead Clown Se´ance • (2010) • shortfiction by Christopher Welch
The Day the Devil Swallowed a Heapin' Helpin' of Pride at the Beaulahville Gospel Jubilee • (2010) • shortfiction by Scott Nicholson
Piecemaker • (2010) • shortfiction by Don D'Ammassa
Good Breeding • (2010) •
Kei
Dark Carbuncle by Kevin J. Anderson and Janis Ian is about the rockstar who cant seem to escape his fate even when he is dead - 4.5
Death and Taxes by Heather Graham - 4.5
Table for two by Jeff Ryan - 3
Treatment by J. A. Konrath - 3
Dead Clown Seance by Christopher Welch - 3.5
The Day the Devil Swallowed a Heapin'Helpin' of Pride at the Beaulahville Gospel Jubilee by Scott Nicholson - 3.5
Piecemaker by Don D'Ammassa - 4.5 (Unexpected twist of story)
Good Breeding by Lucien Soulban - 4
Tails - 3
Dog Tri
Jenn
It took me quite some time to work my way through these short stories. It was most certainly not because they were bad...they were all incredibly good! Unfortunately, I had some reviews to finish before I could give all my attention to this one. (Okay, I've cheated. I still have three reviews to do, but soaking in a bath is more conducive to paperbacks than iPads!) I love horror short stories! There's something amazing about the briefness and knowing you can knock off a few quick stories before ...more
Alexia561
Another great anthology, this time from the Horror Writers Association. The theme for this anthology is dark humor, which is one of my favorites! Dark humor can make even a horrifying subject enjoyable, and some of these stories are so dark that they border on twisted!

Don't think there's a weak story in this collection, but some of them just aren't my taste. I can still appreciate them though, so think this is a great collection! My favorites are Dark Carbuncle by Kevin J Anderson and Janis Ian
Melissa Hayden
With this anthology I'm not going to try to give a short synopsis of each story, as the stories are so short I don't want to give anything away. There are many authors in here I have never heard of, then there are a few I have. These stories were all short segments and great for reading in brief moments when I need a book fix and can't read a whole story. Or even between books.

But as a few of these stories where great fun there where a few that didn't click with me. I have to mention a few of th
TW Brown
Blood Lite II: Overbite Edited by Kevin J Anderson

Reviewing anthologies is a tricky thing. Reviewing one that consists solely of writers from the HWA…well, it’s not a problem unless you’re a fledgling member wondering how unlikely it is that you come away without alienating somebody. Regular readers of my reviews have come to expect an honest appraisal of the tomes I peruse and wax expositorily about. In plain speak: I don’t pull punches regardless if you are a friend or contributor to my own la
Emily
So I finally made my way through this one. As mentioned before, the people-eating got really tiresome. Let's see..the stories I enjoyed:

Death and Taxes (Heather Graham) was fun. You really can't escape taxes, no matter your state of death.

The Day the Devil... (Scott Nicholson) was just great. The end was a little anticlimactic, but the devil was nicely imagined.

The Halloween War (Brian Hatcher) had promise. The ideals of imaginary monsters vs. the reality-based monsters negotiating for control o
Eric
Overall, this anthology has some good, decent, and not so good stories, about par for the course for any short story collection. I give it a 2, thouhg, because precious few of them are actually funny.

Maybe I wasn't in a funny frame of mind when I read this, but only a few stories drew even a chuckle. Some tried way too hard to be funny, and forced humor rarely succeeds. Others went for more of a playful tone or humorous situation rather than laughs, and those stories tended to be very good, jus
Julia
May 18, 2012 Julia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like mild horror stories
Recommended to Julia by: the cover caught my eye
Shelves: vampires
I thought this was a good collection of short stories. Most of them were only a few pages long, so it was easy to fly through them. There are too many stories to go over each one so I will just hit the ones that stood out the most for me.

My favorite was Daycare of the Damned. Whats not to like about creepy kids with weird powers. I would love to see this one expanded on. I also liked American Banshee, Death and Taxes, and Dark Carbuncle. My least favorite story was Table for Two. This one seemed
Venessaa ♡☮♫
Blood Lite: Overbite is the same as the first book, Blood Lite.
It contains an array of stories from various authors.
I can say, I kinda liked this one better than the first ;p
Wren
This anthology had some good stories, a couple of really good stories, and one stand out , which was Kelley Armstrong's Hope and Karl story. Some weren't funny, as advertised, but an enjoyable read, nontheless.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Another wonderful collection of humerous horror stories. My favs would be the Hope and Karl engagement story half demon / were style that involved a loose demonic spirit.

Table for two was very creative. A nice guy takes his disgusting blob of a date to a nice resturaunt with some pretty gross effects.

Tails was also a unique story of humans with tails and all their emotions played out by the movements and raising of this appendage.
Son of a Bitch made me chuckle as the friendly golden retrieve
Sara
Meh. Nothing special in this one. The stories are so short that you can't really get into them.
Aria
Read only Lucifer's Daughter by Kelley Armstrong
Laurie
This is an anthology of never before published stories in the unusual genre of ‘humorous horror”. Zombies, vampires, werewolves, demons, ghouls, and assorted monsters- some original- populate the book. As in any collection, the stories are uneven. Some are ironic, some made me laugh out loud, some made me go “Huh?” But it was a perfect, easy to read but engaging companion for a day on the sofa with the flu- although you might want to remember that this recommendation is coming from someone who t ...more
Joanne
Mar 01, 2014 Joanne marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-paper-book
Lucifer's Daughter 4*'s March 1, 2014
Michele
I really just bought the book for Kelley Armstrong's short story "Lucifer's Daughter". I like that most of the stories are really short and are written by authors that are new to me, but overall most of the stories did not really click with me. It took me almost a month to get through the whole book which is rare for me. If you are a Kelley Armstrong fan I do recommend buying the book for the Hope and Karl story, but otherwise I would pass on the book.
David
I'd heard Edward Bryant read his story, "Bad German," and when I heard this collection had it, I just had to check it out. I'm not a huge one for reading the normal stuff classified as horror fiction anymore, but I did have a good time reading this. I liked some stories more than others, but they were all a lot of fun. It's always a good time when a group gets together to perhaps poke a little fun at themselves. It makes for good stories.
Penny Ramirez
I very much enjoyed the Hope story by Kelley Armstrong - the primary reason I checked this book out. Was entertained by Konrath's VERY short (5 pages) story, and the Kevin Anderson/Janis Ian story about a washed-up rock star who is brought back from the dead by his "true fans" was absolutely hysterical. I may read a few more, but for the most part they're by authors I don't know, and I've got sooooooo much more to read right now!
Caitlin
Kelley Armstrong's "Lucifer's Daughter" is part of her Otherworld series. This story is narratored by Hope. Any story with Hope has her guy Karl and involves chaos, thievery, and usually demons. It takes place in the same museum that they met at 4 years ago.

L.A. Banks's "Dog Tired (of the Drama)" is about a lonely beta werewolf out with her her alpha female for a night out.
Michelle Tempted By Books
This review is for Lucifer's Daughter by Kelley Armstrong, at this time. I actaully really enjoyed this Hope and Karl story. It was really just kind of silly and pointless. It was very short but it was sweet and it gave me a little extra background and insight into the couple. Its worth the time if you are ready the Women of the Otherworld series as it is only about 25 pages.
Molly
Mar 19, 2012 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I love these anthologies. Perfect to read a quick story right before bed and they are mostly hysterical. There were only one or two of them that were bordering on risque, but not so much that I had to skip the stories (funny I am such a reader prude).

I also enjoy picking these books up for finding new authors. This is how I found Jim Butcher and Dresden...
Sam
Sep 06, 2011 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: for-fun
A follow-up to the first Blood Lite humor-in-horror anthology from a fine collection of authors. "Lite" read with colorful writing, if your in the mood for something not to serious and looking for a giggle. A few of the stories were hit-and-miss for me, which keeps it from being a 5 star, but that's personal preference.
Jenni V.
Very ambitious to have so many stories in one anthology. I really enjoy short stories, but the majority of these stories were too short (most were under 10 paperback pages). Loved the content of most of them, love the genre of humorous horror, and now have new authors I would like to read more things from.
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Framed (Otherworld Stories, #7.1)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5) Darksaber (Star Wars)