Be Your Best Self

Be Your Best Self

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  20 reviews
One of the great purposes of our existence on earth is to perfect ourselves, to learn to become more like God. The Savior's admonition "Be ye therefore perfect" was not limited in time or scope; it applies to his disciples in every age, including this last dispensation.

Be Your Best Self can help in the constant struggle for perfection. Adapted from the powerful discourses

Published December 31st 1979 by Deseret Book Company (first published September 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Be Your Best Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Your Best Self

Michael
I love reading and listening to President Monson. This book was printed nearly 30 years ago and it was fantastic. Each of the chapters is just a short talk that he probably gave somewhere along the line. Several of the stories I was able to recognize from conference talks. I really like that fact that he can take every day happenings and relate them to gospel topics that apply to each of us.
Holly
This book was published over 30 years ago, but Monson is a very inspiring person. He is a great story teller this his nonfiction is easy to read. I'm amazed by his service. He is a perfect example of his conclusion to this book. He had the know how, the tell how, and the show how down on how to be your best self through loving service. Inspiring!
Michael
President Monson, or Elder Monson as he was called when he delivered all of these talks, is full of experience and wisdom. But he is a really bad writer. I think he's gotten better, but these talks are full of cliche, pith, and anecdote. A few talks I'll keep in reserve to reference later, but most are the same as a lot of his other talks.
Megan
Classic President Monson. This book is a collection of what I assume are excerpts from various talks given in the 70s and before. He has a knack for telling inspiring stories and is always uplifting. I read this book over the course of a few months and am glad I did.
Carol
Every time I read this book, I learn how to be a better me! Now I just have to practice what I read!!! Pres. Monson tells a story like no other. This book is filled with his amazing stories of life. This book is for anyone who wants to better themselves.
Beth Kirby
Absolutely wonderful advice on being the best we can be - being our best selves. This book really spoke to my soul as I strive to draw nearer to God and to His Son, the Savior Jesus Christ. It has helped me improve the way I live my life.
Matthew
Great book full of inspiring stories. I especially loved the story in Chapter 6 about the conversion of Fred Sudbury.

The more I read from this man, the more convinced I become that he is a prophet of God.
Liz
May 10, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to be better spiritually and youth leaders
This is an excellent book. I feel that I've grown spiritually and emotionally from this book. I definitely feel like I've made some good goals to become a better "me."
Michael
This is such a great book! President Monson tells many wonderful stories of faith and service from his amazing life of discipleship. Highly recommended.
Leslie
The only warning about this book - you will choke up. Don't go reading it in public or people will worry about you. :) Love, love, love it.
Shauna
Mar 03, 2010 Shauna marked it as to-read
I wanted to do the thing where I read a church book in-between other books but I'm not doing too well. I need a story line!
Jamie
His words are written like poetry. His stories everyone can relate to. He motivates you to do better, to be your best self.
Rob
My Grandma gave this to me probably when I was around 12. I've read it multiple times. It's great.
Dad
May 29, 2011 Dad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
An enjoyable book by an excellent example of a good LDS man. It was good to read his second book.
Robert
May 30, 2008 Robert added it
The first church book that I read when I was about 12 or 13 years old.
Alaina
Life changing. Stories I've heard but a message I will never tire of.
Malea
Many familiar stories. A perspective and change of heart to always keep.
Tara
This councel is hard to do and this book helps you know that it is possible.
Dorothy
I love the inspiration this prophet gives me. He is my favorite.
Rachel
Makes you want to be your best self!
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Stephanie Clark
Stephanie Clark marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Being Enough
  • Spiritual Roots of Human Relations
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
President Thomas S. Monson has served as the 16th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since February 3, 2008. He had served as a Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church since November 10, 1985. Most recently, on March 12, 1995, he was set apart as First Counselor to President Gordon B. Hinckley. Prior to that, on June 5, 1994, he was called as Second Counselor to P...more
More about Thomas S. Monson...
A Christmas Dress for Ellen Inspiring Experiences That Build Faith: From the Life and Ministry of Thomas S. Monson Consider the Blessings Faith Rewarded: A Personal Account of Prophetic Promises to the East German Saints Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson

“Spirituality is not like a water faucet in that it can be turned off or turned on at will. Some make the fatal error of assuming that religion is for others now and perhaps someday for us. Such thinking is not based on fact or experience, for we are daily becoming what we shall be.” 0 likes