Start by marking “Be Your Best Self” as Want to Read:
Be Your Best Self

Be Your Best Self

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  21 reviews
One of the great purposes of our existence on earth is to perfect ourselves, to learn to become more like God. The Savior's admonition "Be ye therefore perfect" was not limited in time or scope; it applies to his disciples in every age, including this last dispensation.

Be Your Best Self can help in the constant struggle for perfection. Adapted from the powerful discourses

Published December 31st 1979 by Deseret Book Company (first published September 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Be Your Best Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Your Best Self

Harry Burnside
Although this book was published in 1979 good advice, words of wisdom and inspiring stories from a prophet of God do not date.
I love reading and listening to President Monson. This book was printed nearly 30 years ago and it was fantastic. Each of the chapters is just a short talk that he probably gave somewhere along the line. Several of the stories I was able to recognize from conference talks. I really like that fact that he can take every day happenings and relate them to gospel topics that apply to each of us.
This book was published over 30 years ago, but Monson is a very inspiring person. He is a great story teller this his nonfiction is easy to read. I'm amazed by his service. He is a perfect example of his conclusion to this book. He had the know how, the tell how, and the show how down on how to be your best self through loving service. Inspiring!
President Monson, or Elder Monson as he was called when he delivered all of these talks, is full of experience and wisdom. But he is a really bad writer. I think he's gotten better, but these talks are full of cliche, pith, and anecdote. A few talks I'll keep in reserve to reference later, but most are the same as a lot of his other talks.
Classic President Monson. This book is a collection of what I assume are excerpts from various talks given in the 70s and before. He has a knack for telling inspiring stories and is always uplifting. I read this book over the course of a few months and am glad I did.
Every time I read this book, I learn how to be a better me! Now I just have to practice what I read!!! Pres. Monson tells a story like no other. This book is filled with his amazing stories of life. This book is for anyone who wants to better themselves.
Beth Kirby
Absolutely wonderful advice on being the best we can be - being our best selves. This book really spoke to my soul as I strive to draw nearer to God and to His Son, the Savior Jesus Christ. It has helped me improve the way I live my life.
Great book full of inspiring stories. I especially loved the story in Chapter 6 about the conversion of Fred Sudbury.

The more I read from this man, the more convinced I become that he is a prophet of God.
May 10, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to be better spiritually and youth leaders
This is an excellent book. I feel that I've grown spiritually and emotionally from this book. I definitely feel like I've made some good goals to become a better "me."
This is such a great book! President Monson tells many wonderful stories of faith and service from his amazing life of discipleship. Highly recommended.
The only warning about this book - you will choke up. Don't go reading it in public or people will worry about you. :) Love, love, love it.
Mar 03, 2010 Shauna marked it as to-read
I wanted to do the thing where I read a church book in-between other books but I'm not doing too well. I need a story line!
His words are written like poetry. His stories everyone can relate to. He motivates you to do better, to be your best self.
My Grandma gave this to me probably when I was around 12. I've read it multiple times. It's great.
May 29, 2011 Dad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
An enjoyable book by an excellent example of a good LDS man. It was good to read his second book.
May 30, 2008 Robert added it
The first church book that I read when I was about 12 or 13 years old.
Life changing. Stories I've heard but a message I will never tire of.
Many familiar stories. A perspective and change of heart to always keep.
This councel is hard to do and this book helps you know that it is possible.
I love the inspiration this prophet gives me. He is my favorite.
Makes you want to be your best self!
Kirsten Petersen
Kirsten Petersen marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Mindy marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Terri marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Sophia marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Robbyn marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Freyja colborn
Freyja colborn is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2015
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
President Thomas S. Monson has served as the 16th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since February 3, 2008. He had served as a Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church since November 10, 1985. Most recently, on March 12, 1995, he was set apart as First Counselor to President Gordon B. Hinckley. Prior to that, on June 5, 1994, he was called as Second Counselor to P ...more
More about Thomas S. Monson...
A Christmas Dress for Ellen Inspiring Experiences That Build Faith: From the Life and Ministry of Thomas S. Monson Consider the Blessings The Christmas Train: A True Story Faith Rewarded: A Personal Account of Prophetic Promises to the East German Saints

“Spirituality is not like a water faucet in that it can be turned off or turned on at will. Some make the fatal error of assuming that religion is for others now and perhaps someday for us. Such thinking is not based on fact or experience, for we are daily becoming what we shall be.” 1 likes