Start by marking “The Listerdale Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Listerdale Mystery

The Listerdale Mystery

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,862 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
A classic from the queen of mystery: Agatha Christie.
Published February 10th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1929)

RebeccaS
This is a great collection of short mysteries. It is filled with misunderstandings, secrets, intrigue and even some espionage. It seems to focus on extraordinary things happened to ordinary people, which I really loved. I think the Listerdale mystery was my favorite story in this bunch and had the best and quite surprising ending. I also loved the story with the "Marquess". Even though Miss Marple and Poirot were absent, these were great stories by AC. She has a wonderful talent for short story ...more
Flora
May 21, 2014 Flora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Without spoiling anything, there is a trend in how several of these stories end...
Mandy
Sep 18, 2015 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: agatha christie fans
Shelves: on-my-shelf, mystery
This is more of a collection of random Agatha Christie short mystery/suspense stories. They were entertaining enough, but I found that most of them tended to revolve around the same few plot lines. For example, "The Girl In The Train" and "Mr Eastwood's Adventure" revolved around a genteel young man who is cast out by a rich older relation and gets into a scrape of sorts, and finds himself making his fortune through the exact same 'unexpected' way (won't spoil it for people). Then "The Rajah's E ...more
Bella
Jul 21, 2014 Bella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aaaaah yeees my first Spanish book, I'm so proud :D

And what makes me the happiest is that I highly enjoyed this book! I've always wanted to read an Agatha Christie book, and this was the perfect choice!

Every story was enticing and there were some parts where I actually gasped! Agatha's way of writing is beautiful and it makes you feel like you're inside the mystery! I've never read anything like it, I enjoyed it sooo much.

This book is basically a compilation of 10 short stories, all written b
Kata
Jan 03, 2016 Kata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-lista
Nice collection of short stories. Good choice if you don't have time to read a whole book.
Dawn
I know my rating of this book suffered because of two things. One, I had previously read all but three of these stories and two, as a collection so many of the stories were similar as to ruin their appeal.

Still, it is the master of the mystery genre writing them and most of them were really good. I was very partial to several of the stories, including Accident and Mr. Eastwood’s Adventure.
Carolyn
Apr 29, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brit mystery fans
Shelves: audio
I do like that the stories were unpredictable - you don't know what kind of crime or mystery will be committed (unlike most of Christie's novels about murder), and you don't know whose perspective you're getting - the criminal, the sleuth, the hero - without Poirot or Miss Marple to set the stage. It's like a collection of short puzzles - not all super strong, but all fun.
Thetravelingpanda
It was interesting to see different mysteries that are not always revolving around a murder. I did not like them all but most of them were well rounded up and some even funny. It is always difficult to judge a collection of short stories because they are short thus they need to be straight to the point. Indeed in that novel there is not the same psychological pictures of characters yet in those short excerpt they were well defined.
I particularly liked 'The manhood of Edward Robinson' because fi
The Purple Page
Wow. This took me so long and I did not like it at all. Probably more of a 2.75 but I can't see myself giving it a three.

Here is the plot for 80% of these Stories

- Handsome man meets beautiful girl, they are married or will get married in the end after like 20 hours of being together.
- There is an identity mistake
- Identity Swap
- Half of the time it wasn't even a real mystery
- There is no suspense whatsoever
- You clearly know who is the murderer (or not) from page 3 of 13.

I cannot say I complet
Jen
Nice collection of mystery short stories, some with romantic elements, mostly with predictable endings. My favorites: Philomel Cottage, Jane in Search of a Job and the last one, Swan Song.
Dua'
Oct 02, 2012 Dua' rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, agatha
تعجبني اغاثا في كتاباتها ..
حقا اتسائل من اين لها هذه القدرة في الكتابة .. لغويا وعقليا من جميع النواحي ..
تباغتك بأفكارها بشتى الطرق .. احببتها جدا :)
~lucy~
Jan 06, 2015 ~lucy~ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories is a little different to Agatha Christie's usual offerings.

Each story is different, in that they aren't the usual murders, but instead involve mysteries such as hidden necklaces and a strange encounter on a train. Some of the stories haven't "aged" as well as others, giving a very old-fashioned rather than quaint/charming/endearing feel, and there is an overwhelming "feel-good" factor to the stories, sometimes to the detriment of a proper ending/conclusion. Whils
هدير
حلو الى حد ما قصص جميلة أفضلهم الضحية العاشرة لكنى أعتقد أن روايات أجاثا الكبيرة أكثر تشويقا ..
Andy Madajski
Aug 11, 2015 Andy Madajski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not one mystery. It was a collection of eleven short stories. In fact, there really weren't any mysteries in the collection. Instead each story was a cute little piece with a twist ending. I have to admit that I enjoyed every single one of them. They weren't deep, they weren't tricky, but they were all fun and entertaining. There were stolen jewels and poisonings and romance and mistaken identities. There were all the things that make Agatha Christie fun sprinkled throughout the collect ...more
Richa
Apr 07, 2015 Richa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice stories.
Alejandro
Que no engañe las tres estrellas que le doy a este libro (en realidad merece más), la forma en que lo califico no corresponde a la diversión que me proporciono, la cual es mucha y de todos sabores y colores. Es una lastima que yo prefiera el sabor a sangre y locura en dosis insanas y mortíferas.

Esta obra de Agatha reúne varios cuentos cortos de corte policiaco, misterio, aventura y más misterio, todo ello aderezado de misterio con chispas de misterio y cubierta de misterio liquido. Es así como d
Abbey
THE LISTERDALE MYSTERY, Agatha Christie
1934, sweet, slightly mysterious stories from Christie, most originally published in magazines in 1920s; very old-fashioned style, but still gently entertaining. Three-and-one-half-stars.

[date= when first published]

1924 02 The Girl in the Train
— sweet spy tale mixed with large dollops of Wodehousian attitude

1924 08 Mr. Eastwood's Adventure apa Mystery of the Second Cucumber,
apa Mystery of the Spanish Shawl
— the author as detective - fun look at the writin
Patty
I often forget that Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple did not populate all of Dame Christie's books. This should not be difficult for me - I owned a small book called A Star Over Christmas. This book's author was Agatha Christie Mallowen. It took me years to make the connection between my favorite Christmas book and the Grande Dame of mysteries, but those stories were nothing like her mysteries.

Nevertheless, I picked up these twelve stories expecting Captain Hastings (Hugh Fraser) to be reading abo
Ibis3
A collection of light, fluffy crime stories by Dame Agatha. Most of them end with a marriage proposal from one practical stranger to another. The one story ("Philomel Cottage") that has been adapted into a play and subsequent movie is a bit darker. (view spoiler) ...more
Izzatur Rahmaniyah
I didn't really enjoy the stories actually. The ending was easy to be guessed. Some cases were also similar with the others. However, some short stories are so sweet and surprising. I like the story about the princess from oh sorry I forgot the place. Yeah... overall this book is worthy enough to be read in leisure time. It's not really tense to read with a cup of tea :3
BrokenTune
May 31, 2014 BrokenTune rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Review first posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/...

1.5 stars - rounded up.

Well, it's Christie, but unfortunately not at her best. I was looking forward to intricate plots and an abundance of red herrings but this collection of short stories just didn't come up with any memorable stories or twists.
Sean Camoni
This wasn't bad, some fun throwback mystery action here. The actor performing the audiobook was very good. The stories were largely over-contrived, so reliant on coincidence that one of them actually made that a running gag, with the main character noticing sign after sign outside a speeding car that fed him vital information at the right time. By the end it was a lot of the same stuff, but overall not bad.
Peter
Oct 28, 2014 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kidnapping, betrayal, murder, and general insouciance - what makes this collection intriguing is that it's more like a sketchbook of unfinished ideas than a final product. Also, even though Christie never uses the expressions "con man" or "confidence trickster," you can hear echoes of her work in in David Mamet's doublecrosses decades later.
Tali
Jul 10, 2012 Tali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realise upon first picking up this book that it was actually a short story collection rather than a full-length novel, but seeing as I'd enjoyed several of Christie's other short stories I wasn't too upset. Unfortunately these short stories weren't particularly memorable or exciting. In many of the stories the plot seemed curtailed by the length allocated to it and there was a distinct lack of warmth in any of the characters too that meant that I struggled to engage with any of their si ...more
Adrian Royce
Dec 30, 2015 Adrian Royce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 12 short stories, each with its own charm and a twist. "The Listerdale Mystery" is the first of the short stories. I have read other GR reviews where people felt disappointed with the collection but they are enjoyable and you can read one quickly and move on.
One criticism has been that each follows a formulaic plot, however this is definitely not the case for all the stories. My favourites were "Jane in search of a job" and "Swan Song", both very clever stories.
I'm sure
Shivangi Tiwari
Short stories seldom impress me, and this collection is not too great either. It's an attempt at the compression of all the wit Christie gently offers in full novels, and only some of the stories were really interesting. I liked the first two, but the rest were only okay.
Dragon
Jul 31, 2014 Dragon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read so many short stories at once, I always get the feeling that I wish they last longer. Which is absurd, because one of the elements I enjoy very much was the inmediacy of each one of them. I just wanted to read more about those fictional characters. More and more.
Sammy
Oct 02, 2010 Sammy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Some rather meaningless little nuggets of mystery in this collection; I’m sure the current Marple TV series will eventually get around to adapting them – since their aim is just to keep going until Miss Marple investigates every case ever written by Agatha Christie. Maybe she’ll go up against the Hound of the Baskervilles when they’re done.

You’ll notice I haven’t really written anything about this book; I guess I just didn’t find it interesting. Some of these stories were adapted as part of "The
Arzu
Aug 11, 2014 Arzu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the short stories were phenomenal, others a bit of a letdown. I would single out Philomel College as the best short story in the collection.
Agatha Christie L...: April 2012 - The Listerdale Mystery 18 45 Apr 24, 2012 05:04PM
  • Spider's Web
  • Agatha Christie
  • Ask A Policeman
  • Thou Shell of Death (Nigel Strangeways, #2)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • The Saltmarsh Murders (Mrs. Bradley, #4)
  • The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Kuka murhasi rouva Skrofin?

More about Agatha Christie...

“At first, I was polite. Really. I said "excuse me," I tried to squeeze through gaps, even apologized for stepping on some toes. What can I say, I'm Canadian.” 3 likes
“A murderer is seldom content with one crime.” 1 likes