Start by marking “Bait (Angler, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bait (Angler, #1)

Read Book

Bait (Angler #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  3,370 Ratings  ·  263 Reviews
Live bait makes all the difference.

Sent on a mission to lure Budapest’s vampire Overlord into a trap, Connie Bence is instead caught red-handed by the dark Casanova.

Her employer has concrete proof of the dubious leader’s misdeeds but she is surprised when this ruthless killer, Rurik, offers her protection and rescues her from his own kind. It plants seeds of doubt in her m
Published January 4th 2010 (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bait

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
138th out of 1,336 books — 7,205 voters
One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostMoon Called by Patricia BriggsThe Rise of the Phoenix by Mason SabreBloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalLover Avenged by J.R. Ward
Best Paranormal Books-Nonfiction and Fiction
21st out of 439 books — 220 voters

More lists with this book...

Ingela
Written June 6, 2014

3.3 Stars - Vampire hunting with a very funny and brave girl - charming enough to listen to with some giggling moments

I got Bait as a freebie a year ago and now added the audiobook also for just a few bucks (two). Maybe not my first book-choice in style and genre nowadays but certainly worth testing.

A fast-paced, playful steamy and adventurous vampire suspense romance seems, after all, pretty fun to listen to in about 8-9 hours. ~ And this book delivered exactly that.

I'm ha
PepperP0t
4.25stars
I was caught up immediately with Connie "Rabbit" Bence's assignment as bait to lure the vampire lord Rurik to his demise. Connie works as a seducer for a shadow-y (read mercenary) group that eliminates vampires who prey on humans but she ends up being seduced by her prey. Everywhere she goes in Budapest he is there and Connie is finding it harder at each time to resist. It was very easy to "care" if this couple is together or not
Connie's boss and co-workers have always been correct in d
Rebecca
May 12, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
In the tradition of Laurell K. Hamilton and Jim Butcher, Annie Nicholas has created a first person POV book about Connie Belce, a young woman in her twenties hired by Vampire Hunters to be used as BAIT in luring vampires who have committed heinous crimes to their death. She just looks like someone they want to eat.

Sent to Budapest, and somewhat out of her element, she has the daunting task of luring the Master of the City, Rurik from a dance club to an unsuspecting trap. Only problem: Rurik may
N.G.
Things that I liked:
-the book's fast-paced
-the story's is pretty concise
-It made me laugh
-Connie had good ideas when it came to escaping
Meh:
-Connie was the "bait" for the vampires. She had to wear pretty clothes while sitting inside a bar. This really reminded me of Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost However, is not the same...Cat's a bad ass and Connie is just...rabbit.
-Insta-attraction

Things that I didn't like:
-Connie isn't a bad ass heroine

-The beginning was kind of...random(?)
-Connie cried way too much

Even thought Connie a
Shelley
Fabulous freebie! and this coming from a total freebie snob. I download them and never read them. I'm silly like that. Something in my brain says if it's free it can't be that good if they have to give it away.
Boy was I wrong with Annie's novel.
This was just so cool!
Broken hearted lovable heroine and a gorgeous lonely vampire who is fighting off the seriously nasty Nosferatu vampire bad dude.
Lots of plotting, double crossing and action. Romantic, full of suspenseful moments. Sexy and very add
Zarah
Jun 03, 2012 Zarah rated it it was ok
I'm sorry. I wanted to like this. I did like it in the beginning - when Connie was introduced and presented as a smart and assertive woman who could take care of herself.
Then the old-cradle-robbing-hottie was introduced and suddenly her brains melted away, she thought with her libido and was perfectly fine with him calling her Rabbit (after a poem about a hunetd animal - "Run, Rabbit, run"! I kid you not!), making decisions for her (including what she should wear) and, after a little guilt o
LynnMarie
Sep 13, 2010 LynnMarie rated it it was amazing
Hunter’s Review

Wow. Where can I get my own Rurik? Annie Nicholas has created such hot characters they practically steam off the page in this first person narrative that takes a fresh look at the vampire genre. Nicholas’ vampires do not glow or sparkle. While some of them are not necessarily monsters, they are, in fact, bloodsuckers in the best possible way.

The author has managed to take a subject—vampires—that I think a lot of people would argue that the vampire time has passed but Nicholas man
Shelley
May 14, 2014 Shelley rated it it was amazing
ARC generously provided by publisher via Netgalley.

Five, run rabbit run, stars.

Connie was lost. After her husband lost his battle with cancer she found herself lost in a bottle with no way out. Then she met Colby and learned of the existence of vampires. Now Connie's job is live bait. She works for Colby who is a slayer. He is hired to get rid of vampires who have committed some type of crime. Connie lures them in, her internal sadness is intoxicating to them, and Colby stakes them.

Connie finds
Laura Greenwood
Nov 18, 2014 Laura Greenwood rated it really liked it
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of Bait from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Connie is part of a vampire slaying team, and the most dangerous part; she is the bait. With the team in Budapest, Connie's job is to lure the city's overlord, Rurik to his death, but despite knowing that he is probably guilty of something, Connie can't help but believe that he is innocent, and goes out of her way to protect him. Other people have other ideas, includin
Crankyfacedknitter
May 09, 2013 Crankyfacedknitter rated it it was ok
Shelves: 75-in-2013
_yay_
Jul 30, 2011 _yay_ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr-uf, vampire, 4-stars
Connie Bence acts as bait. Working with a group of mercenaries it’s her job to lure in vampires. This time around Budapest’s Overloard Rurik is her assigned target.
When things get out of hand, it’s him, the very vampire she believes to be a monster and killer, who promises to keep her alive. Never would she have thought to ever doubt her beliefs, but there’s no denying it: Rurik is different and not at all what she thought he’d be like.
I loved the idea of Connie being bait. In many other books t
Jess Haines
Aug 02, 2011 Jess Haines rated it really liked it
That’s not to say all self-published books are bad. I quite enjoyed this next one. Again, a couple of niggles with spelling and grammar, but nothing unforgivable. The story was excellent, the hero was hot, and I found the world-building fascinating.

Our heroine, Connie (aka, “Rabbit”), acts as bait to lure out vampires so the team of hunters she works with can kill them. During a hunt gone wrong, Rabbit finds herself falling in love with one of the vampires—Rurik, master of Budapest—and is soon i
Iona Fincati
Feb 24, 2016 Iona Fincati rated it liked it
Yes the writing is good. Yes, the story is good. It just drags on though. and at first there is amazing chemistry between the 2 main characters but then it fizzles out and I can see is due to the author staying more involved in the plot. Wanted to like it more but I lost interest
Spynonu
Jun 12, 2016 Spynonu rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This reminds me a lot of another vampire series I read (and loved) not long back. Even though the story seems eerily familiar I rather enjoyed this little romp through the land of vampires. I bought the rest of the series so I hope that the other stories are as much fun as this one!
Magen McMinimy
Oct 30, 2012 Magen McMinimy rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, there were a few things I thought were a little odd, such as Rurik not questioning Connie's acceptance of vampires, it seemed to me he should have found it odd that she didn't freak out or question him at all if their existence is supposed to be a secret.
I also found Connie a little hard to follow at times; there were a couple points in the book where her emotions flip flopped and I thought it was strange, but with those minors issues aside I thought it was a good book well
Brittany
Jun 22, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
This story did seem a little strange in the beginning, but I have to admit that I couldn't help falling in love with it. Connie is no stranger to grief, and this extreme level of grief leads her to a new profession in the paranormal department. Connie is Bait. She helps to bring down lowlife vampires that senselessly murder people. The latest case they've landed is one that involves an Overlord named Rurik. Rurik is one sexy vampire, to say the least. These two have sparks fly immediately. Witho ...more
Pat aka Tygyr
Connie Bence is sent to Budapest by her slayer boss. She is the bait for the team of vampire slayers, the only female on the team. When her husband of only a few years died she found solace in a bottle. The team found her sent her through rehab. She knows being bait for vampires could end in her death, she's not sure she really cares. They were successful in America, but they have a contract for Rurik - the leader of vampires in his area. She dresses up and goes to all the places the team believ ...more
Angela
Fucking A that's what I call this book. I just downloaded this book for FREE on Amazon and expected it to be gd because of the reviews but not this gd! It's like one in five chances of finding an awesome book to read that is actually free. This author just gets what a heroine is suppose to act like and how a story should flow without boring extended dialogues.

Connie "Rabbit" (at first I was like ahh...but then it grew on me) was never annoying or weak, she didn't have a purpose in life after he
Vanessa Wester
Mar 29, 2014 Vanessa Wester rated it liked it
When I started reading this I was not sure what to make of it. But, the more I read the more I liked.

Connie is the bait to lure Rurik, the overlord vampire, for a group of slayers led by Colby. The way her relationship with Rurik developed definitely got me thinking of the days when I was obsessed with Buffy the Vampire slayer, and the fact Buffy is mentioned left me in no doubt that the TV series must have influenced the author.

However, once the plot developed and got darker it was more about
Claire
May 23, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it
A very easy to read book, not too heavy so not much concentration required.

Having said that, as much as the plot can be believable, it seemed to miss the highs that some books can get. It was a steady constant, which, yes you wanted to find out what happens - but not because you feel any connection to the characters - perhaps this will build as the series continues.
But as i say, i did enjoy reading it - and my concentration is lacking at the moment, so this was perfect.

Connie is used as live bai
Marsha
Mar 01, 2014 Marsha rated it liked it
I enjoy a good vampire tale as long as there is a unique take on the vampire myth. Unfortunately, while I enjoyed "Bait" it was just more of the same. Don't get me wrong, the writing was good and there was plenty of action but I guess I'm use to the heroines in my book being more kickass than the character in Bait.

Connie Hence lost her husband several years prior and is now just going through the motions. She is now in Budapest with some group of vampire slayer intent of taking out Rurik, the ma
Claudia
not sure if it is a 3 or 4 star-rating ... unfortunately there are no half stars :(

Conny works as vampire bait for a group of slayers. As she is trying to bring her target, Rurik, in, she is kidnapped and Rurik saves her. Than she gets blackmailed and starts wondering if everything what is said about Rurik is true - especially since the connection between them is getting stronger and stronger

The idea of the storyline was very intersting and I really enjoyed it but there were some weaknesses.
Fi
Terisa
Jan 29, 2014 Terisa rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books that I’ve read in a while! After weeks of reading books that rated no higher than a 3 or 4 this one is a true 5 star read for me. It has everything in it! It has romance, mystery, danger, horror and suspense all rolled in to one! I can’t wait to read book 2 and will start it immediately following this review since I’ve already bought it.

Connie Bence is what vampire hunters call bait. She’s put into some scary situations in order to try and catch vampires to kill th
Jennifer Erwin
Feb 13, 2014 Jennifer Erwin rated it it was ok
This one just didn't really do anything for me. The story flowed just enough to carry me through to the ending but not enough to make me want to read the rest of the series. It felt like the author didn't want to delve too far into the characters to tell us the "why". Why they do what they do, why they fall in love...where's the why?? I need to know. Oh well. It's out of my kindle TBR pile now.
Becky
May 16, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I give this book 3.5 stars rounded up to 4. It is just good old fashioned vampire smut. Excellent smut. Good story. Likeable and hate-able characters.

Ending left room for a sequel/series and I see that there is one, so yay for me!

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A YOUNG ADULT BOOK. VERY MATURE CONTENT, SO TAKE CARE OF WHO READS IT!

Don't say I didn't warn you.
SN the Viking
Nov 10, 2014 SN the Viking rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, vamps
This was a new writer and a new series too me. I have already bought the next books so that sould tell you I enjoyed this.
This is a new awesome vamp series I am going to follow for sure, so hard to find good UF vamp series.
4 stars
GONZA
Apr 11, 2012 GONZA rated it really liked it
Bello bello, avevo letto per prima il secondo e sono "tornata indietro" per leggere questo che non mi ha deluso, non i soliti vampiri, non la solita storia d'amore e non la solita eroina cazzutissima, uno spettacolo di libro!
Wendy
Oct 18, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
This is a decent read. It has some high points and then some lows. It starts out so well and you are like 'hell yeah this is gonna be good' to only fall short in a few areas and then try to restart full throttle again. This was a good read but I really don't think that I would pick up anymore in this series. I give an "A" for effort, lead man sexiness and what could of been a banging plot with a gutsey heroine.....but when you got the gas pushed down DON'T let up or you're going to have the read ...more
Anne Odom
Jan 07, 2014 Anne Odom rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, sexy
I found this book entertaining enough to finish it, but that's not saying much -- I'm a compulsive reader and have left less than 10 books unfinished in my lifetime. I general, I got what I expected in the plot based on the title. I think I just hoped for more, because the writing itself was generally pretty good.

WHAT I LIKED
------------
* Witty dialogue
* Not everyone is heterosexual
* Action and gore are well-written

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE
-----------------
* There wasn't much build up to the main relat
Karen's Book Haven
Sep 10, 2014 Karen's Book Haven rated it liked it
Bait by Annie Nicholas
What happens when you fall in love with someone from the group you are sent to spy on and help abolish?
This is the story of Connie, she’s been sent as bait to infiltrate the vampire group in Budapest but she wasn’t expecting to fall for the leader, Rurik. Of course the passion comes first quickly followed by the truth and conflict.
The writing is witty and fast-paced, I was hooked into finding out which way Connie was going to go – follow through with killing him or
Coffee Time Romance 1 10 Mar 12, 2010 11:51AM
  • Bloodstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #1)
  • Blood Knot (Blood Stone, #1)
  • Rise of the Fallen (All the King's Men, #1)
  • Prophecy: Child of Light (Vampires Realm, #1)
  • Dominion (Dominion, #1)
  • My Familiar Stranger (Knights of Black Swan, #1)
  • The Nightlife: New York (The Nightlife, #1)
  • Beyond The Mask (The Beyond, #1)
  • This Blood (Grace Allen, #1)
  • Venice Vampyr (Venice Vampyr, #1)
  • Bound By Blood
  • Reapers (The Druid Series, #1)
  • Caressed by Night (Rulers of Darkness, #2)
  • Devon: The Beta's Double Trouble (Denver Pack, #3)
  • Bite
  • Shadow Love: Stalkers (Shadow Vampires, #1)
  • Taming the Vampire (Blood and Absinthe, #1)
  • Once Bitten (Alexa O’Brien, Huntress, #1)
Annie Nicholas hibernates in the rural, green mountains of Vermont where she dreams of different worlds, heroes, and heroines. When spring arrives the stories pour from her, in hopes to share them with the masses one day.

Mother, daughter, wife are some of the hats she happily wears while trudging after her cubs through the hills and dales. The four seasons an inspiration and muse.
More about Annie Nicholas...

Angler (4 books)
  • Catch (Angler, #2)
  • Hunting Colby (Angler, #2.5)
  • Release (Angler, #3)

“In reality, thousands of years of instinct kicked in. Your forebrain shuts down and a second later you’re running down a dark alley like a gazelle in three-inch” 1 likes
“granny-humping butt sucker!” 0 likes