Start by marking “Bait (Angler, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bait (Angler, #1)

Read Book

Bait (Angler #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  3,496 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
Live bait makes all the difference.

Sent on a mission to lure Budapest’s vampire Overlord into a trap, Connie Bence is instead caught red-handed by the dark Casanova.

Her employer has concrete proof of the dubious leader’s misdeeds but she is surprised when this ruthless killer, Rurik, offers her protection and rescues her from his own kind. It plants seeds of doubt in her m
Published January 4th 2010 (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bait

Ingela
Written June 6, 2014

3.3 Stars - Vampire hunting with a very funny and brave girl - charming enough to listen to with some giggling moments

I got Bait as a freebie a year ago and now added the audiobook also for just a few bucks (two). Maybe not my first book-choice in style and genre nowadays but certainly worth testing.

A fast-paced, playful steamy and adventurous vampire suspense romance seems, after all, pretty fun to listen to in about 8-9 hours. ~ And this book delivered exactly that.

I'm ha
N.G.
Things that I liked:
-the book's fast-paced
-the story's is pretty concise
-It made me laugh
-Connie  had good ideas when it came to escaping
Meh:
-Connie was the "bait" for the vampires. She had to wear pretty clothes while sitting inside a bar. This really reminded me of Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost However, is not the same...Cat's a bad ass and Connie is just...rabbit.
-Insta-attraction

Things that I didn't like:
-Connie isn't a bad ass heroine

-The beginning was kind of...random(?)
-Connie cried way too much

Even thought Connie
PepperP0t
4.25stars
I was caught up immediately with Connie "Rabbit" Bence's assignment as bait to lure the vampire lord Rurik to his demise. Connie works as a seducer for a shadow-y (read mercenary) group that eliminates vampires who prey on humans but she ends up being seduced by her prey. Everywhere she goes in Budapest he is there and Connie is finding it harder at each time to resist. It was very easy to "care" if this couple is together or not
Connie's boss and co-workers have always been correct in d
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
In the tradition of Laurell K. Hamilton and Jim Butcher, Annie Nicholas has created a first person POV book about Connie Belce, a young woman in her twenties hired by Vampire Hunters to be used as BAIT in luring vampires who have committed heinous crimes to their death. She just looks like someone they want to eat.

Sent to Budapest, and somewhat out of her element, she has the daunting task of luring the Master of the City, Rurik from a dance club to an unsuspecting trap. Only problem: Rurik may
Shelley
Fabulous freebie! and this coming from a total freebie snob. I download them and never read them. I'm silly like that. Something in my brain says if it's free it can't be that good if they have to give it away.
Boy was I wrong with Annie's novel.
This was just so cool!
Broken hearted lovable heroine and a gorgeous lonely vampire who is fighting off the seriously nasty Nosferatu vampire bad dude.
Lots of plotting, double crossing and action. Romantic, full of suspenseful moments. Sexy and very add
Zarah
Jun 02, 2012 Zarah rated it it was ok
I'm sorry. I wanted to like this. I did like it in the beginning - when Connie was introduced and presented as a smart and assertive woman who could take care of herself.
Then the old-cradle-robbing-hottie was introduced and suddenly her brains melted away, she thought with her libido and was perfectly fine with him calling her Rabbit (after a poem about a hunetd animal - "Run, Rabbit, run"! I kid you not!), making decisions for her (including what she should wear) and, after a little guilt o
LynnMarie
Sep 13, 2010 LynnMarie rated it it was amazing
Hunter’s Review

Wow. Where can I get my own Rurik? Annie Nicholas has created such hot characters they practically steam off the page in this first person narrative that takes a fresh look at the vampire genre. Nicholas’ vampires do not glow or sparkle. While some of them are not necessarily monsters, they are, in fact, bloodsuckers in the best possible way.

The author has managed to take a subject—vampires—that I think a lot of people would argue that the vampire time has passed but Nicholas man
_yay_
Jul 18, 2011 _yay_ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr-uf, vampire, 4-stars
Connie Bence acts as bait. Working with a group of mercenaries it’s her job to lure in vampires. This time around Budapest’s Overloard Rurik is her assigned target.
When things get out of hand, it’s him, the very vampire she believes to be a monster and killer, who promises to keep her alive. Never would she have thought to ever doubt her beliefs, but there’s no denying it: Rurik is different and not at all what she thought he’d be like.
I loved the idea of Connie being bait. In many other books t
Crankyfacedknitter
May 04, 2013 Crankyfacedknitter rated it it was ok
Shelves: 75-in-2013
Laura Greenwood
May 09, 2014 Laura Greenwood rated it really liked it
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of Bait from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Connie is part of a vampire slaying team, and the most dangerous part; she is the bait. With the team in Budapest, Connie's job is to lure the city's overlord, Rurik to his death, but despite knowing that he is probably guilty of something, Connie can't help but believe that he is innocent, and goes out of her way to protect him. Other people have other ideas, includin
Shelley
May 08, 2014 Shelley rated it it was amazing
ARC generously provided by publisher via Netgalley.

Five, run rabbit run, stars.

Connie was lost. After her husband lost his battle with cancer she found herself lost in a bottle with no way out. Then she met Colby and learned of the existence of vampires. Now Connie's job is live bait. She works for Colby who is a slayer. He is hired to get rid of vampires who have committed some type of crime. Connie lures them in, her internal sadness is intoxicating to them, and Colby stakes them.

Connie finds
Jess Haines
Aug 02, 2011 Jess Haines rated it really liked it
That’s not to say all self-published books are bad. I quite enjoyed this next one. Again, a couple of niggles with spelling and grammar, but nothing unforgivable. The story was excellent, the hero was hot, and I found the world-building fascinating.

Our heroine, Connie (aka, “Rabbit”), acts as bait to lure out vampires so the team of hunters she works with can kill them. During a hunt gone wrong, Rabbit finds herself falling in love with one of the vampires—Rurik, master of Budapest—and is soon i
Magen McMinimy
Oct 30, 2012 Magen McMinimy rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, there were a few things I thought were a little odd, such as Rurik not questioning Connie's acceptance of vampires, it seemed to me he should have found it odd that she didn't freak out or question him at all if their existence is supposed to be a secret.
I also found Connie a little hard to follow at times; there were a couple points in the book where her emotions flip flopped and I thought it was strange, but with those minors issues aside I thought it was a good book well
Jennifer Erwin
Feb 12, 2014 Jennifer Erwin rated it it was ok
This one just didn't really do anything for me. The story flowed just enough to carry me through to the ending but not enough to make me want to read the rest of the series. It felt like the author didn't want to delve too far into the characters to tell us the "why". Why they do what they do, why they fall in love...where's the why?? I need to know. Oh well. It's out of my kindle TBR pile now.
Becky
May 10, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I give this book 3.5 stars rounded up to 4. It is just good old fashioned vampire smut. Excellent smut. Good story. Likeable and hate-able characters.

Ending left room for a sequel/series and I see that there is one, so yay for me!

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A YOUNG ADULT BOOK. VERY MATURE CONTENT, SO TAKE CARE OF WHO READS IT!

Don't say I didn't warn you.
SN the Viking
Oct 02, 2014 SN the Viking rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, vamps
This was a new writer and a new series too me. I have already bought the next books so that sould tell you I enjoyed this.
This is a new awesome vamp series I am going to follow for sure, so hard to find good UF vamp series.
4 stars
GONZA
Apr 10, 2012 GONZA rated it really liked it
Bello bello, avevo letto per prima il secondo e sono "tornata indietro" per leggere questo che non mi ha deluso, non i soliti vampiri, non la solita storia d'amore e non la solita eroina cazzutissima, uno spettacolo di libro!
Iona Fincati
Feb 24, 2016 Iona Fincati rated it liked it
Yes the writing is good. Yes, the story is good. It just drags on though. and at first there is amazing chemistry between the 2 main characters but then it fizzles out and I can see is due to the author staying more involved in the plot. Wanted to like it more but I lost interest
Spynonu
Jun 03, 2016 Spynonu rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This reminds me a lot of another vampire series I read (and loved) not long back. Even though the story seems eerily familiar I rather enjoyed this little romp through the land of vampires. I bought the rest of the series so I hope that the other stories are as much fun as this one!
Martine
Jul 11, 2012 Martine rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting at all from a freebie, absolutely loved it! The writing was great! Kept my attention and I really felt for Connie and Rurik, great book! Can't wait for the next one!
A.R. Von
Feb 06, 2012 A.R. Von rated it it was amazing
An excellent, exciting, sensual and suspenseful paranormal romance presented as only Annie Nicholas can. Any fan of the genre will find Bait very hard to put down once you get started.
NisyKitty VA
Mar 27, 2011 NisyKitty VA rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Ari Thatcher
Dec 15, 2010 Ari Thatcher rated it it was amazing
LOVED this one.
KelticKat
pretty much an average read - but still it held my attention.
Melissa Levine
Apr 07, 2013 Melissa Levine rated it really liked it
Jan Janus
Feb 18, 2017 Jan Janus rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires
Uh, interesting. Boring at the front of the book, fell asleep in the middle and got pretty good at the end, and am now working on book 2 to see if I can really get into this series. I am not normally one to make a negative review, but this one just isn't doing it for me and I love my paranormal books.
Jackie
Jan 10, 2017 Jackie rated it really liked it
Connie is sent on a mission to catch an overlord, but instead she gets caught. Rurik saves her, but can he be trusted. There is definite attraction between them. This book is for adults only, due to some steamy content. Great vampire story.
Nancy
Mar 12, 2017 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A creative stab/bite

It was a creative story that was okay - not the best but certainly not the worst. One plus was the author holding back on describing the size of his package. Points for that. The ending had a little worry to it which keeps the reader guessing.
Heather *live on coffee & flowers*
Not the worst vampire book I've read, but the romance happened wayyyyy too fast. Do not like.
Claire
May 19, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it
A very easy to read book, not too heavy so not much concentration required.

Having said that, as much as the plot can be believable, it seemed to miss the highs that some books can get. It was a steady constant, which, yes you wanted to find out what happens - but not because you feel any connection to the characters - perhaps this will build as the series continues.
But as i say, i did enjoy reading it - and my concentration is lacking at the moment, so this was perfect.

Connie is used as live bai
Coffee Time Romance 1 10 Mar 12, 2010 11:51AM
  • Bloodstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #1)
  • Blood Knot (Blood Stone, #1)
  • Rise of the Fallen (All the King's Men, #1)
  • Prophecy: Child of Light (Vampires Realm, #1)
  • Dominion (Dominion, #1)
  • My Familiar Stranger (Knights of Black Swan, #1)
  • The Nightlife: New York (The Nightlife, #1)
  • Beyond The Mask (The Beyond, #1)
  • This Blood (Grace Allen, #1)
  • Venice Vampyr (Venice Vampyr, #1)
  • Bound By Blood
  • Reapers (The Druid Series, #1)
  • Caressed by Night (Rulers of Darkness, #2)
  • Devon: The Beta's Double Trouble (Denver Pack, #3)
  • Bite
  • Shadow Love: Stalkers (Shadow Vampires, #1)
  • Taming the Vampire (Blood and Absinthe, #1)
  • Once Bitten (Alexa O’Brien, Huntress, #1)
Annie Nicholas hibernates in the rural, green mountains of Vermont where she dreams of different worlds, heroes, and heroines. When spring arrives the stories pour from her, in hopes to share them with the masses one day.

Mother, daughter, wife are some of the hats she happily wears while trudging after her cubs through the hills and dales. The four seasons an inspiration and muse.
More about Annie Nicholas...

Angler (4 books)
  • Catch (Angler, #2)
  • Hunting Colby (Angler, #2.5)
  • Release (Angler, #3)

“In reality, thousands of years of instinct kicked in. Your forebrain shuts down and a second later you’re running down a dark alley like a gazelle in three-inch” 2 likes
“granny-humping butt sucker!” 1 likes