Start by marking “Blaze (Braddock-Black, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blaze (Braddock-Black, #1)

Blaze (Braddock-Black #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  815 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In her attempts to persuade Jon Hazard Black, the Harvard-educated son of an Absarokee chief, to sell his land claim to her father, Boston heiress Blaze Braddock unwittingly captures Black's heart with her fiery spirit.
Published February 24th 2010 by Bantam (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Blaze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaze

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo JohnsonBraddockBlack1TitlebySueBee_zpsa60d118a.jpg
 photo BB1AbySueBee_zps706d94ec.gif
 photo BB1BbySueBee_zpsd87b7bcc.gif
! The Braddock-Black series, book 1 of 5. Harvard educated, rich & handsome playboy, Absarokee Indian chief, Jon Hazard Black fights for a legacy & the heart of Blaze Braddock!

UK EDITION SERIES INFO & REVIEW
Braddock-Black series
Book 1
Formats: Kindle & paperback in both US/UK

Introducing the Braddock-Black family saga, starting with its matriarch Jon Hazard Black; an Absarokee Indian chief, Harvard educated attorney, rich and successful business man, land & mine owner
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

Braddock-Black series
Book 1
Formats: Kindle & paperback in both US/UK

Duchess Nicole
One of my all time favorite Native American Historicals...truly, a well researched and lovely nod to a little known tribe called the Absarokee. This book highlights the later years of the struggle of these proud people after the Civil War. When the realization that their way of life was nearly over, and a new one forced upon them by settlers. It's easy to vilify white people in books like this but there is a sense of peace in this book, underneath the obvious angst and hardship. The Absarokee an ...more
LuvGirl
3.5 stars. After all these years of being a huge Susan Johnson fan, I finally read Blaze!! To tell you the truth, the reason why I didn’t read this book before is because I was never really a big fan of the Native American Indian romance. The storyline just never appealed to me. I hate reading historical settings in which a set of ignorant people feel like they are superior to others because of the color of their skins. I know it's never really the hero or heroine, but it still annoys.That’s why ...more
Mousiechan
Nov 11, 2013 Mousiechan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glad I had my knitting to hand as I could read a page then knit - such a roller coaster of a tale that my heart leapt and sank by turns and I needed some distraction while the story made up its mind which way to jump. At its most basic, it's a love story but it's also shot through with sadness as 'progress' and its corruption threaten an older way of life. There's murder and mayhem aplenty but also honour and courage offset the move violent parts.

The characters are all entirely credible and are
Neha
It's really really boring. The twists in the plot are really silly and too many. The author just goes on and on about silly explanations which are just not required. The characters are one dimensional. I don't get Blaze's desirability, she's loud, irrational, overly possessive and irritatingly immature. Hazard is just slightly better. This style of writing falls under the old school of thought where the author is not happy till the lead pair goes through enormously difficult conditions and are a ...more
Michele
Nov 05, 2008 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOT HOT HOT
Bridget
Mar 13, 2014 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-normal
2013: Second time was just as good as the first. I loved the characters. Reading other reviews complain about how improbable the events in the story have reminded me that this is FICTION and everything does not have to be "probable". Entrancing and romantic, exciting and full of high adventure in the wilds of Montana, charming and sophisticated in the cultured upper stratosphere of the East. Also fascinating historical tidbits. Loved it.

2012: A Books Free Swap find (along with Book #2 Silver) to
PurplyCookie
Dec 26, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantica
If you can get through the first hundred pages of typical historical romance writing and verbose dialogue, I think you'll enjoy this book. If you like your romance novels on the hot side, "Blaze" will not disappoint you. The book is also enriched with various settings, from wealthy Boston society, to decadent gold mining towns, to an earthy village of a Plains Native American tribe. I don't look for "reality" in romance novels, just a chance to be transported to another place and time.

The only t
Oleta Blaylock
May 24, 2012 Oleta Blaylock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I love this book there are times I wish I could go through and get rid of the details. Ms Johnson does her homework about the era and place she is writing about, going so far as to add footnotes to the story. This story is set in the post Civil War West more specifically the territory of Montana. This is a story of one man's attempt to save his people from extinction. Along the way he falls for a Boston debutante that is head strong and intelligent. Blaze is more than a match for Hazard Bl ...more
Wateena
Susan Johnson's Blaze is the start of the BRADDOCK BLACK Series and personally one of my all time favorites.

Jon Hazzard Black is part Native American who loves his land. Blaze Braddock wants the land, and there is where the story starts to get interesting; Blaze has never met a more arrogant man in her life, and Jon has never met a more irriatating sexy woman in his.
Between them the chemistry heats up to epic porportions; and soon you are with them on an adventure that takes them from enemies
Collene
Oct 30, 2010 Collene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
As most of her books, once you get past the extremely sensual sex scenes, there is a very good story.
Ana
May 10, 2013 Ana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not believable at all. It's 1 star for the factual notes found at the end of the book and within the story.
 ~V~
Apr 18, 2014 ~V~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! Absolutely loved it! I have to admit though, that i wasn't so sure this was going to be the case. Early on i was feeling the whole "history lesson" coming on and that is what i disliked about historical romances and what kept me away from them in the first place... there was too much talk about the war and mining camps. :/ Thankfully, that didn't last long and it eventually did focus on the romance between Hazard (Holy Hannah was he HOT!) and Blaze which was so great! I don't know ...more
Angie
Although I find the cover a bit ridiculous, Blaze was a very pleasant surprise! While there are some phrases throughout that make it obvious this romance is old, the story itself didn't feel too dated to me. It's certainly not a bodice a ripper, and the heroine isn't some simpering maiden. Blaze is actually quite feisty and is often the one initiating sex with our dashing hero, Hazard. In fact, it's her attempted seduction of him that really gets their love story rolling.

Blaze starts out with a
Jane Stewart
Parts were good, other parts not so good.

I wished it would be over during the last half. My major problems were with the methods the author used to separate the couple and create conflicts. Much of the story was well written with good dialogue, but I was angry more than I was pleased. Sometimes I can enjoy a story even though I may not buy the plot or find too much illogic, but not in this case. It was not enjoyable enough to recommend.

Story Brief:
Jon is the son of an Indian chief in Montana. Hi
Angel
I loved loved loved this books !! Not even sure which was better this or silver flames. & now I want more. Damn love it. Jon hazard black & Trey, like father like son. You can't help but fall in love with them. The fact that I didn't want to finish a book really surprises me. I'm usually in a rush to just finish the last 100 pages & find a new book. This is literally the second book I extended my reading days for.
LJ
BLAZE - VG
Johnson, Susan - Standalone

The gold rush sparked a new American dream for those who staked their claims in the rich soil of undeveloped Indian territories. To Blaze Braddock, beautiful, pampered daughter of a millionaire, it was a chance to flee stifling codes of Boston society. But when Jon Hazard Black, a proud young Absarokee chief, challenged her father’s land claim, Blaze was swept up in a storm of passions she had never before even imagined.

Taken hostage by the Indian warrior, Bl
Shantal  (VERIFED BOOK LOVER)
I liked this overall just had some little quips hence the 3 star rating
Tina Kennedy
I ended up skimming a lot of this. It was rough
Zoe Liew
Aug 30, 2015 Zoe Liew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely amazing!
Stephanie
Those who know me know I like historical romances, although this one is a little later in time than my usual favorites. Still, it's in the U.S., which was appealing, and in an area of the West I adore, so that was interesting. The descriptions of the locations are insightful, and I learned something about a "certain character in New York City" whom I don't want to name so as not to spoil anything... but the knowledge of this person and her familiarity to the rest of the community was very intere ...more
Sammy
I'm giving up on this one. I was extremely irritated at the beginning with Hazard having sex with every other married women. I know he's suppose to be hot stuff but it got old fast. Don't get me started with Blaze fooling around with him 2 seconds after she hears him making plans to sleep with another women! Argh! Then the story dragged for awhile and I started to skim. I just couldn't see spending another 400 pages on a couple I'm disgusted with. Pass...
Rose
Jul 12, 2013 Rose rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-download
There were parts of this book that were really good and then there were some that were so stupid and unbelievable that it made it hard to truly like the book as a whole. What white man sends his virgin daughter into a cabin with an Indian to negotiate a business deal after the Indian has shot at them!
Lynn
I am sorry to report this is my least favorite Susan Johnson book. The characters are not developed well and there is no sex scenes to overcome that fact. I do not like Blaze at all and Hazard is predictable he is not interesting. Maybe the St. John-Duras series was all she had to offer?
Courtney
Very slow begining. If you can get past the first 50-100 pages it's a good read. There is way too much history and not much story line in the begining.
Jenny
Apr 23, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. I had read all of the others in the series and read this one last. I wish I had read it first. Not the best Susan Johnson, but still good.
Jeswin
Apr 04, 2014 Jeswin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars.
Historically researched romance. Decent read
Lisa
3,5/5
romeo de los santos
it was awesome.. i really like it like the other books that ive read...
  • First Love, Wild Love
  • Beloved Savage
  • Sun God
  • Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)
  • Tempted
  • Night Flame
  • Cheyenne Song
  • Dancing on Coals
  • Savage Autumn
  • Promises Keep (Promises, #2)
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • The Touch of Fire
  • Fascinated
  • Lord Ruin (The Sinclair Sisters #1)
  • The Spanish Rose
  • Black Silk
  • The Cornerstone (The Walshes, #4)
And it all began rather serendipitously. Long ago, as they say, in another time, when fast food hadn't reached our area and the only shopping was what the feed mill offered, I was reading a book that annoyed me .

My husband was lying beside me in bed, watching TV. Turning to him, I sort of petulantly said, "How the hell did this book get published?"

"If you think you're so smart," he replied, with
More about Susan Johnson...

Braddock-Black (5 books)
  • Silver Flame (Braddock-Black, #2)
  • Forbidden (Braddock-Black, #3)
  • Brazen (Braddock-Black, #4)
  • Force Of Nature (Braddock-Black, #5)

“She writhed helplessly against his steely grip, her frantic movement only furthering the progress of his softly caressing tongue. In moments, Hazard forced a shuddering moan from her and quivering she gasped in shallow rapturous sighs.” 1 likes