Start by marking “The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse On The Essence Of Jewish Existence And Belief” as Want to Read:

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  183 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In this classic of Jewish mysticism, the world-renowned scholar seeks to answer the major questions asked by modern Jews about the nature of their existence in God’s universe.
Published August 26th 1985 by Basic Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Thirteen Petalled Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thirteen Petalled Rose

Ruby Hollyberry
Sep 15, 2010 Ruby Hollyberry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magick
What I learned from this book is that Jewish mysticism contains some of the core information of occultism. Like how things get reversed, flipflopped like a mirror image, between planes, over and over again. That's something you really have to dig deep into occult literature to find. Art & Practice of Creative Visualization is one of the few accessible books that even mention it. Also useful information on angels, which is something infrequently found in a market full of fluffy, useless angel ...more
Naftoli
Jun 18, 2012 Naftoli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, re-read
This is a compelling book for the contemplative and spiritual reader. Rabbi Steinsaltz is trully a brilliant, erudite, and sublime personage. I hold him in high regard for many reasons into which I will not delve in this space. He explicates the levels of existence, the importance of both good and evil angels, the complexity of the soul and so forth. His writing coasts like an eagle on an air current. It is not heavy and burdensome like some religious writing but seems to float on a cloud despit ...more
Scot
Jul 07, 2014 Scot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, amazing
A beautiful and easy to read book on Judaism, Kabbalah, and mysticism. Regardless on your background in any of these subjects it is a truly enjoyable read. My friend told me that his teacher taught the book in reverse order (chapter 10 to chapter 1) and so I chose to read it that way, which was counter-intuitive but amazing. Great insight into day to day living, our connection with spirit/divine, and a tool to help penetrate some of the depths of our existence. Highly recommended for all seekers ...more
Magnus Itland
Dec 26, 2013 Magnus Itland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The physical world in which we live, the objectively observed universe around us, is only a part of an inconceivably vast system of worlds." These majestic words could have been the opening of the greatest science fiction series ever written, and perhaps one day they will be. But right now they are the opening words of a book on Kabbala, the Jewish esoteric tradition.

I am not Jewish and had no knowledge of Kabbala except a computer game in which it was used to create golems. I am an esoterist,
Greg
Mar 19, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: judaism, mysticism
This is a brief introduction and collection of meditiations on Kabbalah (of the hasidic/Lurianic variety). You will need more background on Kabbalah before tackling this contents of this book because it presupposes familiarity with the myths and doctrines of Kabbalah.
Lorri
The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse on the Essence of Jewish Existence and Belief, by Adin Steinsaltz is a book that delves into Kabbalah in a way that explains it on a level that everyone can understand.

Rabbi Steinsaltz takes the reader through the mysteries of the the energy of the universe, and how that energy is illuminated or diminished by our very actions. Goodness and mitzvahs evoke sparks that lift the universal energy to a higher level. While on the other hand, our transgressions ca
Matthew
Aug 09, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
I probably need to read this again. This was not a simple book, nor was it immediately a practical book, until the latter half. The first half was an extrapolation of highly abstract mysticism, describing various spiritual levels.

but the concept that good deeds send good vibes up the spiritual chain (my phraseology), and that humans inhabit a physical realm that affects nearly all other spiritual levels resonates with me, reminds me of Milton's "Paradise Lost" (fallen angel's jealousy at the spe
Sylvie Faisandier
I like the description of the 10 sephirots as well as the 4 worlds. What I particularly apreciate is the definition of sacred as the space where heart and head are reconciled in a constant quest to deal with contradiction.
Cendri
Oct 22, 2007 Cendri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I realized I had no idea what Judaism had to say about reincarnation, which is embarrassing if you're Jewish (I happen to be).

I used to be more religious than I am now, so some aspects of the book resonated with me and many of them did not. I suppose I got what I came for, or, at the very least, I got an answer to my question from the point of view of Kabbalistic Judaism. I think I've gone too far down the hardened neuroscientist path (hard for me not to think that all our b
Chad Johns
Jan 26, 2016 Chad Johns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most influential book of my life. My introduction into Kabbalah, well written and explanation of abstract content
Roni Bat-lavi
Jan 01, 2015 Roni Bat-lavi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to the concepts of Kabbalah. Clearly written and accessible to beginners.
Elisa J
Apr 05, 2015 Elisa J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I already read this one, I'm moving it to my read shelf although I'm not done with the re-read. I love this book! Gives you lots to think about although I would never approach it without someone to bounce the ideas off of. Requires some back knowledge of Jewish philosophy. Still, loved it enough to re-read!
Roya
Jan 15, 2014 Roya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite quotes:
"The path a man has taken is revealed to him only in retrospect, Ina contemplation of the past that grants confidence in what lies ahead. This awareness is in fact the reward, and it is conditional on the continuation of the return."

"Eating is not a casual hedonistic act; it is a ceremony"
Arnie
Jan 21, 2013 Arnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding introduction to Jewish mysticism by one of the great Jewish thinkers of this generation. The first time I read this book, I did so in one sitting. Subsequently I re-read it, recognizing that each page contained ideas worth hours of thought.
Jeremy Tibbetts
Nov 23, 2013 Jeremy Tibbetts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Steinsaltz makes a guide to Judaism's belief more focused on application than overview. It is more of a handbook than a guidebook. Interesting view of the application of mysticism in one's daily ritual and life.
Sally
Jan 05, 2008 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion-judaism
A modern exposition of kabbalah by one of the foremost Talmudic scholars of today. Provides some interesting insights into the inner rationale for Jewish spiritual practices.
Les
Mar 30, 2013 Les rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was very good. I enjoy it very much. It explained a lot about Judaism. It is well worth reading. It explained a lot about the customs and our beliefs.
Seth Rogovoy
Sep 13, 2008 Seth Rogovoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful, poetic books on Jewish mysticism. Really a contemporary book of mysticism from one of the only living geniuses in the field.
Susan
Jun 07, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Rabbi
Wow. I definitely didn't understand everything. But the little I gleaned was good. Probably a decent intro to kabbalah, which is no simple matter.
Ori Fienberg
Mar 01, 2007 Ori Fienberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If only Madonna (or whatever she calls herself these days) had read this.
Joe
May 13, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something I will enjoy re-reading in the future.
Laura Weakley
Dec 19, 2010 Laura Weakley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, and extremely difficult.
Ludmirska
Aug 11, 2011 Ludmirska rated it it was amazing
favourite book
Nili B.
Incredibly deep.
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Talbot
Talbot marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Elaine Benton
Elaine Benton marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Conor Warren
Conor Warren is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2016
Matthew Friend
Matthew Friend marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
  • Jewish Meditation: A Practical Guide
  • Man Is Not Alone: A Philosophy of Religion
  • Jewish With Feeling: A Guide to Meaningful Jewish Practice
  • Way of God: Derech Hashem (Torah Classics Library) (English and Hebrew Edition)
  • The Beginning of Desire
  • The Dignity of Difference: How to Avoid the Clash of Civilizations
  • Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages
  • The Complete Artscroll Siddur
  • This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation
  • The Book of Jewish Values: A Day-by-Day Guide to Ethical Living
  • Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah
  • How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household
  • The Sabbath World: Glimpses of a Different Order of Time
  • The Lonely Man of Faith
  • Back to the Sources
  • Standing Again at Sinai: Judaism from a Feminist Perspective
  • Benevolence and Betrayal: Five Italian Jewish Families Under Fascism
Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz (Hebrew: עדין שטיינזלץ) or Adin Even Yisrael (Hebrew: עדין אבן ישראל) is internationally regarded as one of the leading rabbis of this century. The author of many books, he is best known for his monumental translation of and commentary on the Talmud. Rabbi Steinsaltz founded the Israel Institute for Talmudic Publications. Under its aegis, he has published to date 58 books on ...more
More about Adin Even-Israel Steinsaltz...