Start by marking “Silent Killer” as Want to Read:
Silent Killer

Silent Killer (Griffin Powell #10)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  953 ratings  ·  68 reviews
In A Town Full Of SecretsTo most people, men like Mark Cantrell are fine, upstanding pillars of the community, completely beyond reproach. But their killer knows better. They are sinners of the worst kind, and they must burn on earth before they burn in hell. . .

Trusting The Wrong Person

Eighteen months after her husband's unsolved murder, Cathy Cantrell has returned to her
Published September 1st 2009 by Zebra Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Killer

jenjn79
This was a pretty good book. It's closer to a Karen Rose type of romantic suspense than say a Nora Roberts romantic suspense. I enjoyed the characters a lot, and the storyline was fairly good. With a few tweaks, I would have probably loved this book.

Series Note: this book is part of the Powell Agency/Griffin Powell universe. There are sections of this book that relate directly to past storylines and if you haven't read those, you're going to be confused.

Eighteen months ago, Cathy Cantrell's prea
Pamela(AllHoney)
Its probably not exactly fair to give Ms Barton 3 stars when I haven't read this series through from the beginning in order. In fact I haven't read several books in this series. Nevertheless, I got distracted from the story with all the different characters and story lines. Plus I never could understand how she had a 15 yr old boy born 17 years ago. Okay, it did say he was almost 16 but add 9 months to 16 yrs and its still doesn't quite add up. Oh well, maybe I missed something :)
Pat Cromwell
As a rule I try to steer clear of books that involve religion. I am weary that the contents will not be "romance" as I enjoy reading it. So this book took me by surprise and after a couple pages I was invested in it. There's a serial killer on the loose -- the victims are "men of God." This is a top notch thriller, not for the faint at heart or prudish (there is a scene involving a father raping his daughter). To cap it off, she drops hints for future books -- I love the Friday Evening cliff-han ...more
Cheryl
Eighteen months ago, something terrible happened in the town of Dunmore. Catherine Cantrell and her pastor husband Mark were relaxing at home, when the doorbell rings. Mark heads to the door to answer it. Suddenly Cathy hears Mark screaming bloody murder. When Cathy arrives at the door, she finds Mark in the front yard engulfed in flames from head to toe.

Cathy has returned to Dunmore. she wants to put the past behind her and get on with her life with her son, Sean. There are two reasons why Cat
Nura
I hate the world today
You're so good to me, I know
But I can change
Tried to tell you
But you look at me like maybe I'm an angel underneath
In a sentence sweet

Yesterday I cried
Most have been to see the softer side
I can understand how you'd bee so confused
I don't envy you
I'm a little bit of everything
All rolled into one

I'm a bitch I'm a lover
I'm a child I'm a mother
I'm a sinner I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell I'm your dream
I'm nothin' in between
You know, you wouldn't want it any other w
Hannah Josiah
I've now read a number of Beverly Barton ' books and, despite not having read them in any particular order, I'm completely intrigued with her characters and their environment. One thing I particularly enjoy is the characters that make "regular appearances" throughout the books; either in a central or periferal role. Having said that, I did feel that Griff minor plot was a slight distraction to the main plot and I did get the sense that it was "plot building" for a future novel - which is quite e ...more
Harriet
This is a good, not great. murder mystery. It was good enough to finish but did not rank up in the 4 or 5 star levels. The story ended with many loose ends that are supposedly picked up in the book that follows this one.
Kate
I found this book a bit slow to begin with, as there were so many characters to get my head round and the fact the story keeps switching back and forth between them all can be a bit mind boggling. Having said that I kept on going and was not disappointed, Barton has penned quite a mind-blowing and exhilarating read. Cathy’s husband a clergyman was murdered by a killer who set him on fire, then left him to burn. It took her a year to overcome his death which she spent in a mental institution. She ...more
LyngLyng LingLung
Alur ceritanya menarik, pembunuhan berantai beberapa pendeta di Dunmore. Dari pertengahan cerita hingga bab terakhir, ternyata saya salah menebak siapa pelaku pembunuhan berantai tersebut. Penulis secara mengejutkan mengungkapkan pelaku pembunuhan hanya di dua bab terakhir. Well, saya sangat menyukai kisah yang mengejutkan di akhir ceritanya. Maka saya merating novel ini cukup bagus dengan bahasa dan gaya bercerita yang mudah dipahami.

Namun, beberapa hal yang tidak terungkap dari novel ini adala
sanctuary angel  pettyfer
Rasakanlah api neraka membakarmu. Akulah yang di utus oleh Tuhan untuk membakar kalian para bajingan yang berkedok pendeta. Ya, dia senang melihat api yang membakar korbannya, apakah dia sakit jiwa? Atau dia memang utusan Tuhan? Siapa yang tahu?

Jack Perdue kembali ke Dunmore untuk membangun kembali hidupnya. Ya, dimulai dengan rumah masa kecilnya. Siapa sangka dia bertemu lagi dengan cinta pertamanya. Ya Cathy Nelson...

Cathy yang baru kembali dari pusat rehabilitasi mental dikarenakan kematian
Diane  Morasco
Silent Killer is one exhilarating read. Barton has penned quite a mind-blowing tale.

Cathy & Jackson are intoxicating. I loved them.

Cathy suffered a breakdown after she witnessed her husband, Mark, burn to death. Cathy checked herself into a mental health facility to deal w/ the heinous savagery of her husband's murder.

Cathy also relinquished custody of her son.

Not too long after Cathy returns to town to reunite w/ her son.

Also returning is, Jackson Perdue, a man who once owned Cathy's heart.
Colleen
Beverly Barton is one of my faves as far as romantic suspense authors go, so she is an automatic read whenever a new book comes out. I have read all of her books regarding Griffin Powell so I knew the background story. I highly recommend that you read her previous books regarding GP before you read this one, otherwise, you will be lost as to the parts that reference Griffin and Nic.

As to the main characters, Cathy & Jack, no background reading necessary. Great chemistry between these two ch
Hobby

Books “DOSA-DOSA MASA SILAM”
Judul Asli : SILENT KILLER
Editor : Uki Dimas Gemawan
Cover by m_shuzue@yahoo.com | © photographer : Michael Bednarek Soleg 1974
Cetakan I : Juni 2011 ; 488 hlm
Rate : 4 of 5

Dunmore, Alabama – kota kecil yang tenang dan damai terusik oleh serangkaian peristiwa mengerikan, pembunuhan terhadap sosok rohaniwan dengan cara dibakar hidup-
Carly
This book is worth a read. I'd recommend it for something light for a plane journey or perhaps a boredom-buster on holiday. It has lots of mini-stories and intertwined relationships between the MANY characters who we have narration for. It is, at times, hard to keep up with who's who, but it does get easier and narrowed down as the story progresses (thanks, in the most part, to all the killings!).

I don't think the novel is as deep and shocking as I expected it to be and actually guessed pretty e
Chrissey Harrison
Romantic thrillers like this aren't really the kinds of books I usually read but I picked this one up and thought I'd give it a go and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The main story between Cathy and Jack was refreshingly mature compared to a lot of romantic fiction aimed a younger audience with which I am more familiar. Meanwhile the Fire and Brimstone Killer plotline served to move the story forward and deepen the characters. Barton creates a rich (sometimes too rich) cast of characters and keeps you
Terry Cohoe
Mirella Grace
Hebatttt... Gak ketebak siapa sang pembunuh sampai beberapa lembar terakhir si novel. Ceritanya tentang pembunuhan terhadap para pendeta gereja dengan cara disiram bensin dan dibakar hidup hidup.

Nah, cerita ini masih ada sangkut pautnya sama novel tentang Powell Agency, si Griffin & Nicole Powell dan salah satu pegawainya, Maleah Perdue. Nah, di sini diceritakan tentang Jack Perdue, abang kandung Maleah. Diceritakan tentang kisah cinta Jack dan Cathy yang terputus 17 tahun silam dan kembali
Ukgardenfiend
This is a crime thriller where the book blurb compares it to Tess Gerritsen and Karin Slaughter, but I found it less convincing. It uses, the now common, formula, whereby you have chapters of storyline interspersed with the somewhat incoherent, but within their own logical frame of world, thoughts of the killer.
The killer thoughts were initially chilling but it soon became apparent that it was a female talking - the tone of phrasing perhaps? and it somehow became less chilling.
There was also on
Crystal
This is part of the Griffin Powell series, but I have only read one other book in the series (the one before this one) and I don't feel lost. I do want to know the history so I will go back and read the first four books.

This book centers on Cathy Cantrell, her son Seth and Jackson Perdue. I loved the small town, everyone knows your business setting. It really works for this book. There were a lot of people to keep track of and that made it confusing a few times, but once I got the hang of everyo
Shona
Cathy lost her husband when he was murdered by a killer who set him on fire then left him to burn to his death. It took her a year to overcome his death and spend a year in a mental institution. Now that she is out she goes about regaining the she had. Getting to know her son again, who left to her in-laws to look after when she was getting help. She is also reacquainted with her first love. Just as things were getting better for her another clergyman is murdered in the same way that her husband ...more
Heather Durham
Ok, so this book wasn't really that bad...the annoying part was that there were story lines within the book that if you haven't read along the entire series just don't make sense. I'm hoping that others who did read more than just this single book weren't as thrown off as I was by these unanswered threads of stories that were intermingled.
Deirdre
Cathy Cantrell is recovering from a breakdown after seeing her husband die by being doused in petrol and lit. During this her son Seth stayed with his grandparents. Back into her life comes Jackson (Jack) Perdue. The man she loved and thought lost and it was too late to change her mind about marriage when she had a child and everything.

As the victims mount people are worried, why is this happening and who is responsible. Can they catch the killer before it's too late?

I enjoyed the read, the two
Katherine St. Vincent 黄爱芬
Cheryl Taylor garant
Good book, I've never read anything by Beverly Barton & I'll definitely try some more of her work!
Jack Zhong
Don't know why some chapters about Nic. Lost focus.
Caro
I really enjoyed this book. It really got me thinking. I liked the twist at the end. I hadn't thought of that and was seriously considering another person for the murderer. The book was well written and definitely a touchy but true problem that occurs but most don't like to address it. This book was also definitely a page-turner for me and I will most likely read it again. This was the first book in this series I have read and I want to read the rest now. It leaves me hanging but also concludes ...more
Connie
This was kind of in the Griffin Powell series, but only just a little bit. It was about Maleah's brother Jackson Purdue that comes back to his hometown to become a deputy and getting to know a girl he once knew when he was 21. It had a lot of things going on in the book and it appears that Griffin and Nic are kind of having problems because of his past again. It also had a serial killer in it and she was killing ministers that she thought were bad people. A lot of suspense and I love her books.
Marzena
Chaotic is a first word that comes to mind trying to describe the book. Ridiculous is the second one.

Instead of thriller we get a predictable and cliche book where the thrilling part is close to none. Unlike other Barton's books which I read gasping, this one is dreadful. Even the romance part is shallow and simply boring.

Also, a side story about Powell family could have added something to the series, but nothing to the book itself.

A big disappointment.
Kay
Not for the faint of heart I guess. My Mother picked this book up off my stack to read and gasped and kept a red face through the whole book. I am not sure if it was the sex, the gruesome murders, or the fact it was 'men of God' that were being murdered that kept her shaking her head. I will say she read this book in record time!!! And then she turned around and picked another book off my stack to read. I thought the book was very good.
Yara Hossam
seriously shocking
SHOCK SHOCK !!!
i really enjoyed reading this one at school behind my teacher's back.... sometimes the teachers would tell i was doing sth terribly wrong just from the "shocked" face expressions i used to do
Anyway i really enjoyed this one! and i am really going to miss the 'THRILL' it gave me .. and MY FRIENDS
  • Big Sky Standoff
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Heart of Gold (Loveswept, No 393; Rainbow Chasers, #1)
  • 2 in the Hat: A Novel of Suspense
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • Kill For Me (Romantic Suspense, #9)
  • Frontier Courtship
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle + Driven to Distraction + Taken for a Ride
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Lake Magic
  • Make Your Move (Harlequin Blaze, #542)
  • Cold Midnight
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride (Harlequin Romance, No. 3855)
  • The Cheating Curve
Beverly Marie Inman was born on 23 December 1946 in Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA. Daughter of Doris Marie and Walter D. Inman Jr. A born romantic, she fell in love with The Beauty and the Beast epic at an early age, when her grandfather bought her an illustrated copy of the famous fairy tale. Even before she learned to read and write, her vivid imagination created magical words and fabulous characters ...more
More about Beverly Barton...
The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7) The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8) Dead By Midnight (Griffin Powell #11) Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6) After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)