Start by marking “Crossing with the Virgin: Stories from the Migrant Trail” as Want to Read:
Crossing with the Virgin: Stories from the Migrant Trail

Crossing with the Virgin: Stories from the Migrant Trail

Over the past ten years, more than 4,000 people have died while crossing the Arizona desert to find jobs, join families, or start new lives. Other migrants tell of the corpses they pass—bodies that are never recovered or counted.

Crossing With the Virgin collects stories heard from migrants about these treacherous treks—firsthand accounts told to volunteers for the Samarita
Published April 15th 2010 by University of Arizona Press (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Crossing with the Virgin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing with the Virgin

Debmeinke
Dec 29, 2010 Debmeinke rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking, what are we thinking with our horrible treatment of these hard-working folks?
Jamie Archer
This book is the heart of the issues of immigration reform. Having walked the "Migrant Trail" for three years, this book presents the stories of those who make the dangerous trek across the Sonoran desert and bring a depth of reality to the reasons I walk the Migrant Trail every year. A political issue, yes, but it's also a humanitarian issue. This book is an excellent compilation of the stories that need to be told about immigration and the crisis that is happening at our southern border.
Chris
Apr 01, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After listening to the three authors on C-Span, I was eager to read this book and was not disappointed. The authors share their experiences as volunteers for the Samairtians, a humanitarian group that travels through the hot deserts south of Tuscan, Arizona and into north Mexico, taking food and water to starving migrants and calling in medical help for injured travelers. Before we can judge another, we must first seek to understand him or her, and this book helps me better understand the plight ...more
Flavia Sugnu
Jun 07, 2012 Flavia Sugnu rated it it was amazing
I still haven't finished reading it but just thinking about what I've read...honestly, it gives me goosebumps, especially the story of of the man who had it all, lost it because he lost his job and then lost the life he knew. There was also the story of Aurelio, gosh, when I think of that I feel like crying! I hate how the agents were more concerned with fighting over pulling rank and issuing orders that they wasted so much time before allowing him the basic necessities of water and health and t ...more
Michael Rudzik
Oct 05, 2016 Michael Rudzik rated it it was amazing
A book everyone should read. I promise you will find this book informative and eye opening about migrants. A story I was unaware of until I picked this book up on a chance. Haunting...
Akemi
Akemi rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Ronda Talley
Ronda Talley rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2015
Wayne Larson
Wayne Larson rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Carol Kirwin
Carol Kirwin rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2010
Lindsay Carswell
Lindsay Carswell rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Terri
Terri rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2014
Rita Danks
Rita Danks rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Emilie Curtis
Emilie Curtis rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2012
Genevieve Labahn
Genevieve Labahn rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Mackenzie
Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Rosanne
Rosanne rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Ron Kovatch
Ron Kovatch rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Tori
Tori rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Shelby
Shelby rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Shelby Knaub
Shelby Knaub rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Kirsten Reynolds
Kirsten Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Deb Davis
Deb Davis rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2011
Brandon
Brandon rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2012
Alejandra
Alejandra rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Jin
Jin rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Maggie Rose
Maggie Rose rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016