Everything is Illuminated & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Everything is Illuminated & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  681 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Everything Is Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer's stunning debut, tells the story of a young Jewish American's quixotic journey into an unexpected past. Foer then turned his talent to the traumas of our recent history in his exhilarating second novel, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. This beautiful edition brings together, for the first time, two works from one of thi
Published November 15th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Valaynemay
I gave this book away after reading the first two chapters. I just didn't like it...
Maxine
Everything is Illuminated

The only thing worse than being sad is for other to know that you are sad.

The bruises go away, and so does how you hate, and so does the feeling that everything you receive in this life is something you have earned.

Love me, because love doesn’t exist, and I have tried everything that does.

I am afraid of the world moving forward without me, of my absence going unnoticed, or worse, being some natural force propelling life on.

Love is the immovability of truth.

She was so bea...more
Joprano
I had first discovered "Everything is Illuminated" through a friend. She had the film version of this book and at the time I did not realize it was originally a book.

"Everything is Illuminated" depicts many emotions, in my opinion the feeling of being lost, sad and uncertain are at the forefront but, there are comical moments that help to lighten the mood of this story.

I found that there were three main characters, Grandfather (the driver for a tour guide company) Sasha (translator/grandson),...more
Marigold
i am challenging myself to read as much as i can out of the 1001 books you must read before you die.
And it came as no surprise to me that this book made the list.
I saw the film adaptation of 'Everything is Illuminated' screenplay and direction by Liev Schreiber first before i read the book... Sure there are things altered in the movie but i think both versions are equally as interesting and moving.

Jonathan Safran Foer is an extremely talented writer...beyond his years.
His novel 'Everything is Il...more
Alexa
I haven't actually read this edition ... I've read both of these books (the first three times, the second only once) and they are stunning. Jonathan Safran Foer is my all-time favorite writer, and my best friend convinced me that I needed this fancy schmancy copy of the two books in one. I can't guarantee that I'll ever lug around the hardcover, 630 page book in order to read it, but the idea of it nestling perfectly into my bookshelf (next to its paperback counterparts, no less) was too perfect...more
Donna Doth schneider
This book is hard to understand with two stories going on and in two different eras. The middle to the end of the book was great but the ending was disappointing! I am talking about the illuminated book
Les
I do not see how to add this to my book count given that I read it in January of this year. Thus a different edition. Same claim: review to come.

I still need to read Everything is Illuminated.
Ivan
Потрясающая книга! Настолько пронзительно написано и оригинально оформлено, что не мог оторваться!
Lindsay Schultz
Hard to follow. I'd like to read it again when I'm less busy
Nawal Hashim
cried like a baby. for the second time.
Theresa Flores
I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Review) last year and I was blown away, so I definitely had expectations for Everything is Illuminated . Needless to say, I was not disappointed. Without a doubt, it was another Jonathan Safran Foer masterpiece.

The novel is about a man named Jonathan, who travels to Ukraine to find a woman named Augustine, who saved his grandfather's life back in WWII. Upon arrival, he meets a Ukranian man named Alex, who acts as his translator, Alex's grandfather and...more
Serenaconcertina
I feel I do not need to review this, as I read both individually. However, I will add for those who have only watched the films, READ the books! Please! My 11 year old daughter watched Everything Is Illuminated and she was terribly upset by the ending. I told her to pick up my copy of the book & read it & she would not be sad or upset by it. Same goes for the other book turned film. Again, I told her read the book, there were so many levels untouched by the screenplay & I thought she...more
Karen Sage
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - what an endearing story - i was concerned that it would be somewhat taking advantage of 9/11 and the terrible tragedy that occurred, but it was an endearing tale about a little boy and his brilliant mind. Really enjoyed his thought process, the build up of the characters and the search for the key.

Everything is Illuminated - weird, not as good to me as the other, but still very interesting characters developed. Strange the way the author became part of th...more
Rachel
This is a beautiful edition of both texts, I'm proud to own it!
Pauline
Brilliant writer.
Daniel Patrick
Both books absolutely fantastic, with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close being the better of the two, by a tiny margin. The first time I read Foer, he reminded me of Kurt Vonnegut. Same ability to create tight little situations, (the second of these books really reminds me of Mother Night, for some reason,) but without as much of the zany humour. Having said that, he's a stunning writer and I can't wait for him to out something new out. (It's been a long wait!)
Rae Hittinger
It has been a little while since I read this- but I recall quite enjoying this book. It has some really interesting 'modern' elements to it that don't feel gimicky at all - rathger they are interesting and exciting and new. One interesting aspect is the letter writing between the subject and the narrator/author. The characters are really interesting. A great read. Very powerful & interesting.
Rodrigo
I love both stories.
Despite the fact that are not easy readings, they are really worth reading. The way that JSF uses the page spaces, images and letters during the writing is incredible (I have never seen something like that). Also, both books are full of different emotions. It goes from joy, laugh and happiness to sadness and painful situations.
Sean
I thoroughly enjoyed this book for reasons different from the average reader. I did not like any of the characters whatsoever. The child seemed off a tick and was just strange to me. His decisions I could not relate with whatsoever. But The content in the book, the way it was written and brought together was fantastic. I recommend it. I do
Engaging book with engaging characters. The story of a tragic historical event intermingled with humor from narrative of improperly translated English of young Ukraine character and comedy of errors that unfold during search by a young American author to find the woman who saved his grandfather during the Holocaust.
Catalina
I have just finished Everything is Illuminated. It is a perfect exaple of Jewish literature since it has a good combination of the following ingrediants: magic realism, tradition, rememberance, temporal disparity, story in a story, paralell storytelling, some Eastern Europe, love, duty, friendship, drama.
Hailee
I just finished "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" and have to say I was not a fan. I did not like some of the characters and the plot. However I forced myself to finish it because I do not like stopping halfway and leaving a book unfinished.
Amanda Prickett
Beautiful story.
Emma Refvem
Both books were just wonderful. I like the way JSF packs his story with history and love and emotion, and that I'm never quite sure what order everything happens in or who is talking at any point.
Suzanne Skelly
Interesting approach to the blight of the Jewish villages in the Ukraine during World War II. Jumped between history and present tense which was sometimes confusing.
Jon
May 03, 2011 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: other
Jonathan Safran has a very interesting style of writing that I think most people wouldn't like but I really enjoyed it. It was a touching story with real emotions.
Melissa
This book made me laugh out loud. Some of it was a bit strange and hard to follow but for the most part I really enjoyed it. Don't bother with the movie, its horrible.
Monica
I love this story- it really spoke to what a person who doesn't really know the past of their family might discover...
Mar C
Feb 28, 2012 Mar C is currently reading it
I'm starting with Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.
Clare Saxon ghauri
these should be in hotel drawers instead of the bible
  • Homage to Catalonia / Down and Out in Paris and London
  • Kipps
  • Paper: An Elegy
  • Flappers and Philosophers: The Collected Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald.
  • The Best of Wodehouse: An Anthology
  • The Best Creative Nonfiction, Vol. 1
  • Yahya Hassan
  • How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything... in Business (and in Life)
  • The Hogwarts Library
  • The Book of Leviathan
  • The Last of the Just
  • The Lecturer's Tale
  • Lotería
Jonathan Safran Foer (born 1977) is an American writer best known for his 2002 novel Everything Is Illuminated. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife, the novelist Nicole Krauss, and their son, Sasha.
More about Jonathan Safran Foer...
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close Everything Is Illuminated Eating Animals Tree of Codes The Unabridged Pocketbook of Lightning (Pocket Penguin 70's #11)