Start by marking “Everything is Illuminated & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” as Want to Read:
Everything is Illuminated & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Everything is Illuminated & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  966 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Everything Is Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer's stunning debut, tells the story of a young Jewish American's quixotic journey into an unexpected past. Foer then turned his talent to the traumas of our recent history in his exhilarating second novel, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. This beautiful edition brings together, for the first time, two works from one of th
Published November 15th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Be the first to ask a question about Everything is Illuminated & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Valaynemay
Jun 08, 2010 Valaynemay rated it did not like it
I gave this book away after reading the first two chapters. I just didn't like it...
Maxine
Apr 15, 2012 Maxine rated it really liked it
Everything is Illuminated

The only thing worse than being sad is for other to know that you are sad.

The bruises go away, and so does how you hate, and so does the feeling that everything you receive in this life is something you have earned.

Love me, because love doesn’t exist, and I have tried everything that does.

I am afraid of the world moving forward without me, of my absence going unnoticed, or worse, being some natural force propelling life on.

Love is the immovability of truth.

She was so bea
Joprano
Oct 16, 2012 Joprano rated it really liked it
I had first discovered "Everything is Illuminated" through a friend. She had the film version of this book and at the time I did not realize it was originally a book.

"Everything is Illuminated" depicts many emotions, in my opinion the feeling of being lost, sad and uncertain are at the forefront but, there are comical moments that help to lighten the mood of this story.

I found that there were three main characters, Grandfather (the driver for a tour guide company) Sasha (translator/grandson),
Marigold
Dec 07, 2012 Marigold rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i am challenging myself to read as much as i can out of the 1001 books you must read before you die.
And it came as no surprise to me that this book made the list.
I saw the film adaptation of 'Everything is Illuminated' screenplay and direction by Liev Schreiber first before i read the book... Sure there are things altered in the movie but i think both versions are equally as interesting and moving.

Jonathan Safran Foer is an extremely talented writer...beyond his years.
His novel 'Everything is Il
Alexa
Mar 24, 2011 Alexa rated it it was amazing
I haven't actually read this edition ... I've read both of these books (the first three times, the second only once) and they are stunning. Jonathan Safran Foer is my all-time favorite writer, and my best friend convinced me that I needed this fancy schmancy copy of the two books in one. I can't guarantee that I'll ever lug around the hardcover, 630 page book in order to read it, but the idea of it nestling perfectly into my bookshelf (next to its paperback counterparts, no less) was too perfect ...more
Donna Doth schneider
This book is hard to understand with two stories going on and in two different eras. The middle to the end of the book was great but the ending was disappointing! I am talking about the illuminated book
Les
Sep 12, 2011 Les rated it it was amazing
I do not see how to add this to my book count given that I read it in January of this year. Thus a different edition. Same claim: review to come.

I still need to read Everything is Illuminated.
Ivan
Dec 20, 2011 Ivan rated it it was amazing
Потрясающая книга! Настолько пронзительно написано и оригинально оформлено, что не мог оторваться!
Lindsay Schultz
Mar 31, 2012 Lindsay Schultz rated it it was ok
Hard to follow. I'd like to read it again when I'm less busy
Nawal Hashim
Jan 14, 2013 Nawal Hashim rated it it was amazing
cried like a baby. for the second time.
Theresa Flores
Jul 15, 2014 Theresa Flores rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-review, owned
I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Review) last year and I was blown away, so I definitely had expectations for Everything is Illuminated . Needless to say, I was not disappointed. Without a doubt, it was another Jonathan Safran Foer masterpiece.

The novel is about a man named Jonathan, who travels to Ukraine to find a woman named Augustine, who saved his grandfather's life back in WWII. Upon arrival, he meets a Ukranian man named Alex, who acts as his translator, Alex's grandfather an
Kim Williams
Apr 26, 2016 Kim Williams rated it it was amazing
I actually read Extremely Loud first. Being one of those New Yorkers who lived through the nightmarish day that was 9/11 and the awful days and weeks that followed, I like to read other people's take on the events of those times. This book drew me right in to the mind of a child trying to cope with a loss that was too big for many adults to handle. The image of the falling man is a central image, one seared in our collective minds following the tragedy. The other work in this collection took a b ...more
Ann Laudisio
Jan 24, 2016 Ann Laudisio rated it it was ok
I read this because I want to see the movie...love Tom Hanks. Very disappointed in the story. Seemed very choppy and unrealistic. Almost made the little boy a charicature. Not going to look for the movie either.
Jan 22, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewels
Someone read me the first chapter of this aloud whilst I was lying in bed with the flu and I wrote in my diary later how 'they read me into the most beautiful book I'd ever heard'
Serenaconcertina
Jan 15, 2013 Serenaconcertina rated it it was amazing
I feel I do not need to review this, as I read both individually. However, I will add for those who have only watched the films, READ the books! Please! My 11 year old daughter watched Everything Is Illuminated and she was terribly upset by the ending. I told her to pick up my copy of the book & read it & she would not be sad or upset by it. Same goes for the other book turned film. Again, I told her read the book, there were so many levels untouched by the screenplay & I thought she ...more
Karen Sage
Jul 30, 2011 Karen Sage rated it really liked it
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - what an endearing story - i was concerned that it would be somewhat taking advantage of 9/11 and the terrible tragedy that occurred, but it was an endearing tale about a little boy and his brilliant mind. Really enjoyed his thought process, the build up of the characters and the search for the key.

Everything is Illuminated - weird, not as good to me as the other, but still very interesting characters developed. Strange the way the author became part of th
Rachel
Apr 20, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful edition of both texts, I'm proud to own it!
Pauline
Feb 28, 2014 Pauline rated it really liked it
Brilliant writer.
Salliandrews
Jul 05, 2015 Salliandrews rated it really liked it
Great!
Daniel Patrick
Jan 05, 2013 Daniel Patrick rated it it was amazing
Both books absolutely fantastic, with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close being the better of the two, by a tiny margin. The first time I read Foer, he reminded me of Kurt Vonnegut. Same ability to create tight little situations, (the second of these books really reminds me of Mother Night, for some reason,) but without as much of the zany humour. Having said that, he's a stunning writer and I can't wait for him to out something new out. (It's been a long wait!)
Rae Hittinger
Jul 30, 2011 Rae Hittinger rated it really liked it
It has been a little while since I read this- but I recall quite enjoying this book. It has some really interesting 'modern' elements to it that don't feel gimicky at all - rathger they are interesting and exciting and new. One interesting aspect is the letter writing between the subject and the narrator/author. The characters are really interesting. A great read. Very powerful & interesting.
Maxwell
Dec 24, 2014 Maxwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it
I have read both of these books. I gave Everything is Illuminated a 4/5 stars, and gave Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close a 5/5 stars, because it's my favorite book.

I own this copy, but haven't read the two books out of this edition. I read them in their individual copies. Was just going through my Goodreads and noticed that I hadn't added this one though.
Rodrigo
Jan 02, 2013 Rodrigo rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I love both stories.
Despite the fact that are not easy readings, they are really worth reading. The way that JSF uses the page spaces, images and letters during the writing is incredible (I have never seen something like that). Also, both books are full of different emotions. It goes from joy, laugh and happiness to sadness and painful situations.
Sean
Feb 19, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book for reasons different from the average reader. I did not like any of the characters whatsoever. The child seemed off a tick and was just strange to me. His decisions I could not relate with whatsoever. But The content in the book, the way it was written and brought together was fantastic. I recommend it. I do
Jun 23, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Engaging book with engaging characters. The story of a tragic historical event intermingled with humor from narrative of improperly translated English of young Ukraine character and comedy of errors that unfold during search by a young American author to find the woman who saved his grandfather during the Holocaust.
Catalina
Jul 23, 2012 Catalina rated it it was amazing
I have just finished Everything is Illuminated. It is a perfect exaple of Jewish literature since it has a good combination of the following ingrediants: magic realism, tradition, rememberance, temporal disparity, story in a story, paralell storytelling, some Eastern Europe, love, duty, friendship, drama.
Hailee
Jan 30, 2012 Hailee rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I just finished "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" and have to say I was not a fan. I did not like some of the characters and the plot. However I forced myself to finish it because I do not like stopping halfway and leaving a book unfinished.
Amanda Prickett
Feb 02, 2014 Amanda Prickett rated it really liked it
Beautiful story.
Emma Refvem
Jun 01, 2013 Emma Refvem rated it it was amazing
Both books were just wonderful. I like the way JSF packs his story with history and love and emotion, and that I'm never quite sure what order everything happens in or who is talking at any point.
Suzanne Skelly
Jan 01, 2012 Suzanne Skelly rated it liked it
Interesting approach to the blight of the Jewish villages in the Ukraine during World War II. Jumped between history and present tense which was sometimes confusing.
  • Huden er det elastiske hylster der omgiver hele legemet
  • Blindness / Seeing
  • Og sådan blev det
  • La Société des jeunes pianistes (Aksel Vinding, #1)
  • My Friend Jesus Christ
  • Christmas Stories
  • The Oil and the Glory: The Pursuit of Empire and Fortune on the Caspian Sea
  • One: How Many People Does It Take to Make a Difference?
  • Kalak
  • Sun Going Down
  • Homage to Catalonia / Down and Out in Paris and London
  • Aesop's Illustrated Fables
  • Mánasteinn - Drengurinn sem aldrei var til
  • Kill the Messenger: How the CIA's Crack-Cocaine Controversy Destroyed Journalist Gary Webb
  • The Best of Wodehouse: An Anthology
  • The Collected Poems
  • Have Wheels, Will Travel (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #4)
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon (Janus Sílang, #1)
Jonathan Safran Foer is an American writer best known for his 2002 novel Everything Is Illuminated. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife, the novelist Nicole Krauss, and their son, Sasha.
More about Jonathan Safran Foer...

“La casa dove tua bis-bis-bisnonna e io andammo a stare appena sposati dava sulle cascatelle [...] Aveva pavimenti di legno e finestre magnifiche e spazio sufficiente per una famiglia numerosa. Era una bella casa. Una buona casa.
Ma l'acqua... diceva la tua bis-bis-bisnonna ... non riesco a sentirmi quando penso.
Tempo, io la incalzavo. Datti tempo.
E, lascia che te lo dica: anche se la casa era spaventosamente umida, e il prato davanti una fangaia perenne a causa degli spruzzi; anche se i muri ogni sei mesi necessitavano di riparazioni, e scaglie di pittura cadevano dal soffitto in tutte le stagioni come neve... ciò che si dice di chi abita vicino a una cascata è vero.
Che cosa, chiese mio nonno, cosa si dice?
Si dice che chi abita vicino a una cascata non senta l'acqua.
Questo, si dice?
Esatto. Naturalmente la tua bis-bis-bisnonna aveva ragione.
All'inizio fu terribile. Non sopportavamo di rimanere in casa per più di poche ore di fila. Le prime due settimane furono caratterizzate da notti di sonno intermittente, litigi soltanto per il gusto di farci sentiore sopra lo scroscio. Litigavamo al solo scopo di ricordarci a vicenda che eravamo innamorati e non in preda all'odio.
Però le settimane successive andò un po' meglio: era possibile dormire qualche buona oretta per notte e mangiare con un disagio sopportabile. la tua bis-bis-bisnonna ancora malediceva l'acqua [...], ma meno di frequente, e con minore furia. [...]
La vita continuò perchè la vita continua, e il tempo passò, perchè il tempo passa, e dopo poco più di due mesi: Hai sentito? le domandai, una delle rare mattine in cui eravamo seduti insieme a tavola. Hai sentito? Deposi il mio caffè e mi alazi dalla sedia. La senti quella cosa?
Quale? mi chiese lei.
Esatto! risposi, correndo fuori per salutare a pugno teso la cascata. Esattamente!
Ballammo, lanciando in aria manciate d'acqua, senza sentire proprio neinte. Alternavamo abbracci di perdono e urla di umano trionfo all'indirizzo dell'acqua. Chi vince la battaglia? Chi vince la battaglia, cascata? Noi! La vinciamo noi!
E questo vivere vicino a una cascata, Safran. [..] Il timbro si sbiadisce. La lama si smussa. Il dolore si affievolisce. Ogni amore è scolpito nella perdita. [...]
Ma questa non è tutta la storia, continuò la Meridiana. L'ho capito la prima volta che ho tentato di bisbigliare un segreto senza riuscirvi, o fischiettare una canzone senza insinuare la paura nei cuori di chi era nel raggio di centro metri, quando i miei colleghi della conceria mi hanno supplicato di abbassare la voce perché chi riesce a pensare se gridi in quel modo? Al che io ho domandato: STO DAVVERO GRIDANDO? * La storia della casa sulla cascata, la Meridiana”
0 likes