Start by marking “Mrs. Cooney Is Loony! (My Weird School, #7)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Cooney Is Loony! (My Weird School, #7)

Mrs. Cooney Is Loony! (My Weird School #7)

Something weird is going on

Mrs. Cooney, the school nurse, is a knockout--and A.J. has a crush on her But are her charms just a cover for her secret identity as an international spy? Will A.J.'s love for Mrs. Cooney win out over his love for the good old USA?
Published May 31st 2005 by HarperTrophy

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Cooney Is Loony!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Cooney Is Loony!

Dec 01, 2009 Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback-series
2nd-5th Grade
This is the seventh edition of Dan Gutman’s My Weird School series of books that I think kids will love. I found myself laughing out loud when the kids from this school describe what they think is really happening in this school. In this edition, the boys in class all fall in love with the school nurse, Mrs. Cooney, but as they spend more time in the nurse’s office they begin to think she may be living a secret life, as a spy. The illustrations by Jim Paillot add to the humor with a
Edward Creter
The Weird School Saga is getting more in touch with its odd side as it goes along. AJ is having a crush on his new school nurse, Mrs. Cooney, who is already married (hence the "Mrs.") yet his plans for romantic conquest thru nurse nuptials will not be denied! He still won't be kissed since, like most literary boys since Huck Finn, he finds the art of CPR (which fictional nurses have been depicted as being proficient at) distasteful at best. He needs a life--STAT!!! So controversial in its indire ...more
Jan 29, 2016 Carys rated it it was amazing
It was very silly A.J. has a crush on his school nurse but she is already married but mrs. cooney makes sick people balance things on their nose and then they figure out she is a spy.
Jan 08, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
We started reading the books in the My Weird School series by Dan Gutman and Jim Paillot together during storytime, but our oldest started reading ahead into the series on her own and our youngest seemed to lose interest. So now, I am just reading to catch up with our oldest.

This story focuses on the boys' fascination with the school nurse, Mrs. Cooney. Somehow the class becomes convinced that she is a spy. This is such a fun story and the kids have wild imaginations. I really enjoyed the part
Oct 11, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing
In this book the main charaters are A.J,Ryan,Micheal,Emily,and Andrea.A.J thinks that Andrea thinks that she knows every thing. In this book A.J,Ryan,andmicheal are all friends.They all like there nurse Mrs.Cooney the nurse.A.J says he wants to marry her.A.J says that Emily is a cry baby.He also says that she cry about anything.At the end all the main charaters went to the school after school so they can see if their nurse really is a spy. Nurse Cooney admited that she was a spy.she said if she ...more
Jenn M
Sep 21, 2015 Jenn M rated it really liked it
I just loved this edition in the "My Weird School" series by Dan Gutman. The main character, A.J., a second-grader, hates school but always seems to have a lot of fun retelling his school adventures. In this piece, A.J. has discovered that the school nurse Mrs. Cooney is beautiful, and he has a major crush! The book unfolds as several boys attempt to fake illness in order to go visit Mrs. Cooney's office, only to be given rather bizarre "cures" for their imaginary sicknesses. Everyone jumps to t ...more
Chihiro Ushida
Jul 14, 2014 Chihiro Ushida rated it liked it
*7/11=30min 7/12=30min 7/13=15min

*7 words summary
boy, school, math, teacher, love, marry, spy

*"We caught you, like a rat in a trap!"
I like this expression. This is very serious situation but there is a little sence of humor. I like his expression.

This story is based on school, so it is very easy to understnad and Icould enjoy reading. I was very surprised at the word count at first, but I could keep reading smoothly. I also like very intesting school story.
Aug 06, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
This series is great for slow readers. Each chapter is funny and direct. In this one, there's moments when grown-ups use words that the main character doesn't understand, creating humor, but also sympathy, since the kid reading it may not know that word either. The know-it-all girl, Andrea, gets better treatment in this one than the other books in the series. But generally these books are aimed at boys and boys only.
I did find myself chuckling at some of the humor, but I was still turned off by the way the characters' behavior is presented as acceptable. Kids will definitely find it funny and probably identify with the antics and thoughts of these schoolkids, but I wouldn't want them to emulate it. Moves quickly, lots of action, and plot development is decent. There are better choices, but there are also worse choices. Good for kids who like funny reads.
Jan 19, 2015 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Dan Gutman understands young reader’s humor and has created a fantastic book formula to draw in even the most reluctant of readers. The My Weird School series is perfect for students to practice their reading skills with its repetitive yet hysterical narrative and story lines. But don’t mention that part to your kiddos, they might run away in fear they could learn something. A must have collection for any grade school library or classroom!
Jul 24, 2010 Bryan457 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This time it is Mrs. Cooney, the school nurse who is loony. She has some pretty interesting and humorous remedies designed to weed out the children, like A.J., who are faking illness to get out of class. The usual group of students decide, based on these odd treatments and the fact that she is always gathering information, that she is a spy.

I still can't actually recommend these books for 2nd graders, their target audience, because the main character hates school so much.
Marianna H
Oct 22, 2014 Marianna H rated it it was amazing
The book Mrs. Cooney is loony was awesome. The writing was effective. The strength about the book is that characters knew who was actually the nurse in the book. The weakness about the book is that the book never said if character nurse went to jail.I would recommend this book to a classmate because I bet they would like spy books. If there was more parts of the series I would read it because since I like spy books and the spies have secrets.
Jan 03, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
I got the book because in the other books I've read it's been talking about her. I wondered what the book would be like. If I was in high school my favorite class would probably be health. Mrs. Cooney is the school nurse. Three of the boys in class were pretending to be sick so they could see Mrs. Cooney.
Jul 10, 2011 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book offers a mix comedy, laughter,and a story that will cheer you up.My favorite part was when Mr.klutz was wearing a wig,also A.J was mad at his friends because they said they wanted to marry Mrs.Cooney which I don't know why since there in second grade.This book is funny,very funny... Heh,heh.
Oct 04, 2012 Gretchen rated it did not like it
Maybe 1.5 stars. Some funny instances, such as the confusion over vowel movements, but overall, interactions between the kids were a bit mean-spirited . I didn't like how they kept using the word dumbhead or how AJ kept thinking how he'd like to punch Andrea. I wouldn't want to hear it from real children, and I don't like it coming from fictional children.
Luke "Bob"
Jan 07, 2013 Luke "Bob" rated it really liked it
it was really funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 03, 2013 Suvi rated it liked it
Shelves: vinkattavat, kakkoset
Tyrmäävä terkkari.

Artun koulun terkkari on oikea kaunotar. Pojat keksivät kehitellä itselleen sairauksia, jotta pääsevät terkkarin vastaanotolle. Terkkarin parannuskeinot eivät vain ole sieltä perinteisimmästä päästä...

Mar 12, 2010 Alex96 added it
This book speaks about the school's doctor, called Ms Looney. When someone fell bad and he go to her office, instead to give to them some antidote, she let play them to game, she is sure that this metod function.
The first chapter is about how Aj thinks math is hard.Math is not hard at all of allyou have to do is add subtrac,Multply Divide.I know how to do all of that is pretty easy to me but the more your grow up the more it gets harder thats what my farther told me.The next chapter is about.
Karen Arendt
The students at Ella Mentry School think that Mrs. Cooney, the school nurse, is a spy- after three of the boys decide they are in love with her. The evidence stacks against her until the students find out the truth. Lots of students faking illness to go see the nurse and get out of class.
Mar 09, 2016 Kaytee rated it it was amazing
it was good it was suprising when they all figured out if mrs.coony was a spy (or spi) it was all mysterious and i like mystery this book was really really cool.
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
I love this series. Not many things actually make me LOL but these always get a chuckle from me. I love this whole series! The question Mrs Cooney really a spy????
Mar 26, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Mrs. Cooney, the school nurse, is movie-star beautiful and second grader A.J. wants to marry her. But when his classmates become suspicious that she might be spy, he may have to change his mind.
May 22, 2012 Mustang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: as
I thought that it was funny when they were spying on Mrs.Conney and thought she was a spy.

I thougt that this was a good book becuse it was funny when they were spying on
Angie Bates
For years my students have told read Dan Gutman, he's my favorite. My Weird School is sooooooooooooo good. Finally got to it, I see why they like it, it is going on the share with students list.
Dec 30, 2011 Mursal rated it liked it
it was a nice book, and i liked it, but it wasn't one of my favorite books, because i just didn't think it was GREAT. but it still was exciting and funny too.
Cameron rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2011
Noah rated it liked it
May 17, 2009
Meixiupan rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
  • Never Race a Runaway Pumpkin (Roscoe Riley Rules, #7)
  • Trouble at the Arcade (The Hardy Boys: Secret Files, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4)
  • The One Hundredth Day of School! (Ready, Freddy!, #13)
  • Summer Vacation from the Black Lagoon
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Jurassic Jackrabbits from Jupiter (Ricky Ricotta, #5)
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • The Magic School Bus Fights Germs
  • The Case of the Great Sled Race (Jigsaw Jones, #8)
  • I'm Not a Supermouse (Geronimo Stilton, #43)
  • A Good Night for Ghosts (Magic Tree House, #42)
  • Hooey Higgins and the Tremendous Trousers
  • House of Danger (Choose Your Own Adventure, #15)
  • The Desperate Adventures of Zeno and Alya
  • Star Wars: Journey Through Space
  • Captain Disaster (Squish, #4)
  • The Dunderheads Behind Bars
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of ...more
More about Dan Gutman...

My Weird School (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1)
  • Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)
  • Mrs. Roopy Is Loopy! (My Weird School, #3)
  • Ms. Hannah Is Bananas! (My Weird School, #4)
  • Miss Small Is off the Wall! (My Weird School, #5)
  • Mr. Hynde Is Out of His Mind! (My Weird School, #6)
  • Ms. LaGrange Is Strange! (My Weird School, #8)
  • Miss Lazar Is Bizarre! (My Weird School, #9)
  • Mr. Docker Is Off His Rocker! (My Weird School, #10)
  • Mrs. Kormel Is Not Normal! (My Weird School, #11)