Start by marking “Girl Singer: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Girl Singer: An Autobiography

Girl Singer: An Autobiography

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In Girl Singer, Rosemary Clooney, with the warmth and humor that distinguishes her singing, describes her transformation from a schoolgirl in kneesocks to one of the most beloved singers of the twentieth century. Rosemary Clooney made her first public appearance at the age of three, on the stage of the Russell Theater in her tiny hometown of Maysville, Kentucky. She has be ...more
Published October 9th 2001 by Three Rivers Press (first published October 27th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Singer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Singer

Cathi
Jun 19, 2015 Cathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosemary Clooney is one of my dad's all-time favorite singers, right up there with Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra. I love her voice and classic style, as well, so reading this book was a lot of fun. (Thanks goes to my son for finding this book at a used bookstore and giving it to me.) I learned so much about Clooney's career and personal life, including stuff I'd only heard about vaguely when I was younger. She had a lot of trials and tragedies in her life--some brought on by herself and some bec ...more
Bobby
Jan 16, 2011 Bobby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say that I would never have chosen this book if one of my friends in book club had not chosen it, but I am certainly glad that I did. The book shared a journey that many of us take when we think others are better than us. Rosemary, herself, was far more than she gave herself credit and she spent far too much time trying to be someone she thought was better. She married who she thought was her prince charming rather than her match... hmmm, Katie Holmes, perhaps you could have avoided some ...more
Deborah
Apr 14, 2008 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course, Rosemary Clooney's book was written well before the James Frey-inspired "autobiography" vs. "memoirs" debate, so I'll cut some slack on the semantics. That being said, I would probably classify this book in the memoirs category. The content is broken up into short accounts of the author's fascinating memories--each ranging from a few paragraphs to a few pages. These brief reminiscences are grouped in a semi-chronological fashion into simple, numbered chapters.

In favor of "autobiograph
Kathy
Nov 03, 2007 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
I have loved Rosemary Clooney since I saw White Christmas on a black and white television when I was a child. Later when I looked up famous people born the same day as myself, I was delighted to see her name.
I started this book on our house hunting-trip to Moscow. After I got back to California, I only read bits and pieces for a month and then I finished it on the plane ride to Colorado.
The parents that she had were totally undependable - in and out of her life. She learned at an early age sh
Kristin
Mar 14, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I have this strange fascination with reading autobiographies/memoirs/biographies about famous people that I'm interested in. Most of the time I don't particularly enjoy them, so I don't know why I feel the need to continue reading them. :) Anyway, a few bits of this one were good. In some cases I liked hearing behind-the-scenes stories of famous people she knew, but in others I would rather not have known. I couldn't quite understand the morals, either. Towards the beginning of her career, Rosem ...more
Donie Nelson
Oct 03, 2015 Donie Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read. Author reveals good insight into her psychological makeup: alcoholic father, absentee mother, raised by various relatives, learns to be a "pleaser" & marries philandering, narcisstic actor José Ferrer BUT thinks have 5 children will save her marriage, then she repeats her mother's mistakes.
Dawn
A great read as far as it goes, with the casual feel of a memoir. Rosemary's voice is true to my memories of interviews and tv specials... unsullied by Barthel's hand. There's a fair amount of name-dropping, but little in the way of details and while at least one tantalizing oddity is mentioned (apparently Bing Crosby always had pools filled in at his homes?), the laundry is kept very well under wraps for someone as well connected in entertainment as the lady was.

The only disappointment is in t
Kathy  Petersen
Like, I suppose, most celebrity autobiographies, Girl Singer is anecdotal, name-dropping, and without much depth. However, I like Rosemary Clooney and found her story interesting, with the final chapter, that is, her life in the present, poignant and quite satisfying.

A friend of mine just did a cabaret show based on Clooney and Girl Singer. I was unable to attend, but my son told me it was outstanding. I wish Clooney could have known about it, but she's been dead quite a few years.

I also know t
Linda
Jul 20, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I always liked Rosemary Clooney and was inspired to pick this up after listening to her commentary on a DVD of White Christmas. Let me recommend that too.
Her observations are charming and enlightening, when she breaks into song your heart soars. She's also very upfront about some of the bumps in the road of her life.
That led me to the book and I enjoyed it for the same reasons. She's candid about her early life, her marriages and her mental health issues. Anyone who has ever struggled with thei
Jeri
Mar 19, 2015 Jeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like reading autobiographies. It was good but a bit whining in spots.
Susan
Jan 26, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
A delightful read about a fascinating lady. Frank discussion about her mental health issues and recovery. So crazy about Rosemary!
Pat
Aug 16, 2008 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would highly recommend this memoir; that I started ages ago and finally finished. Clooney's candid revelations about her disjointed childhood, doomed from the start love affair and marriage to Jose Ferrer; motherhood to five; drug dependancy; career highlights and downfalls; all combine for a compelling backstory to one of the great "girl singers". The insider look at Hollywood of the 40s, 50s and later are an added bonus.
Debra
Liked this....frank offering, especially about her breakdown and the difficulty of recovery.
Charlie
Aug 16, 2011 Charlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of music & celebrity from the 40's & 50's...Rosemary Clooney totally brings you back in this one. She had a lot of problems, but comes accross as completely down to earth. Her descriptions of performing with classic big bands and socializing with celebrities gave me goosebumps. I loved it and it was written in a way that made me feel like she was talking directly to me.
Vicki
Oct 30, 2009 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Rosemary Clooney -- you hear that rich, smooth voice, and you know she's in control of the song, and will give it to you like a lovely story. She got the pacing and phrasing together. And in her memoir, she offers little bits and pieces like a flair in the song. She had such a complicated life -- this book is fascinating, and gives you a whole new respect for her.
Susie Delaney
Apr 19, 2012 Susie Delaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. Miss Clooney didn't seem to hold back - and told it like it is. Booze, pill addictions, lots of Frank Sinatra, yes please. She gave us the dirt, on herself much more than others, but still came off to me as a class act.
Nancy L.
Dec 21, 2009 Nancy L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosemary Clooney - what a life! I began this book admiring a singer and ended it admiring the person. This candid autobiography made me glad she found happiness later in life.

Rereading this one and still hating on José Ferrer.
Gary Turner
Jun 26, 2013 Gary Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Knowing she was from Kentucky, i was intrigued. I was not let down, as her life was something else. Now when i hear her songs, i am proud to have gotten to know her through her book.
Lisa
Feb 18, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosemary Clooney was a goddess and one of the best girl singers around. I cried at the end of this book.
Ally
great autobiography!! But read it for a research paper, so didn't read it word for word.
Lindsey
To be fair, I'm not a big fan of biographies. But I do like Rosemary Clooney.
Kristi
Apr 18, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thorough story about her life and I very much enjoyed it.
Jono
Aug 11, 2007 Jono rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Very satisfying. I have a new-found admiration for Rosemary Clooney.
Feb 24, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best written book, but fun to read and interesting.
Mminyyz
Great book, so many things I didn't know about her
Anita-grace
re read this after watching White Christmas
Debbe
Mar 25, 2012 Debbe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but not outstanding.
Jessica Jensen
Mar 11, 2011 Jessica Jensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUCH an interesting book!
Rachel Hill
Rachel Hill marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
  • Judy Garland
  • A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes: My Story
  • Bing Crosby: A Pocketful of Dreams - The Early Years 1903 - 1940
  • The Name Above The Title
  • Here's Johnny!: My Memories of Johnny Carson, the Tonight Show, and 46 Years of Friendship
  • Memo from David O. Selznick