Start by marking “Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book” as Want to Read:
Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book

Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book (Maisy)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  394 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Maisy's plan to have a quiet read is put to the challenge by her giggling friends in this picture book ode to the pleasures of the local library.

Maisy likes going to the library.
She loves to read a book in a nice, quiet place.

Today, Maisy wants to read a book about fish, but she can only find books about birds or tigers. So she explores some of the other things to do in th
Published July 12th 2005 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Maisy Goes to the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maisy Goes to the Library

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
37th out of 107 books — 119 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Books for three-year-old children
60th out of 344 books — 251 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann Cox
A little mouse named Maisy goes to the library to look for a book about fish. While there, she runs into some friends and goes to a storytime program. The simple drawings, bright primary colors, large text, and white space on almost every page will make this book very visually appealing to babies and toddlers. The book does assume that the reader or listener is familiar with the rhyme "There Was an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly," which may confuse those who aren't familiar with the rhyme.
Risa
Jul 23, 2012 Risa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: family
I think this is a wonderful book for a young child to read. When they read the story, they will learn that reading can be something to enjoy, as well as an important way in which to find important information. When Maisy goes to the library with her friends, they learn that some books are fun to share, while some books are nice to enjoy in a quiet place on your own.

Extension:

The teacher can take the children to the school library and they can all get their own library card.
Each child may find a
Rima Aroutiounian
Maisy just loves the library and she wants to read a book about fish. She can't find one and her friend come to library and they do pretend play about, "The old woman swallowing fly." Then she finds a sparkling book about fish and reads it in a quiet corner. Love the Maisy books, they are just fun to read and always have something to teach. Great for phonological awareness and narrative skills.
Meg
So apparently Maisy's library doesn't use the Dewey Decimal System?? Also, the continuity of this story is minimal (I think the cartoon is better than the books, as far as Maisy goes). But I do enjoy that the circulation clerk is a peacock. And the art style is still charming. For the smallest readers, this is a good pick-- but for anyone older than 4, the story is a bit too loose.
Carol
This fun-filled, colorful picture book is engaging for the young reader. A Maisy First Experiences Book is somewhat confusing because it portrays the library as a place of noise and distraction as well as temporary disappointment when Maisy cannot find a book on fish. It is not until Maisy and friends go to outside that he/she(?) finds a peaceful place to read. The vivid colors used would attract the young readers. Pages are sometimes separate pictures and sometimes continuations which helps rea ...more
Tiera Vann
This is a great book to read to early kindergarten/ first grade students. I will read this book to my class and relate it to an autobiography. Reason being is because at libraries students can find tons of autobiographies from famous people in our world. I will then incorporate this in a writing lesson for my students. I would have them create their own autobiography. They will be given a worksheet and they are to fill in their name, where they were born, how old they are, how many brotheres and ...more
Farrah Stephens
Happy, silly

Fun, little story about being at the library! The six-year-old loved it! She wanted to read it again as soon as it was done!
jacky
Natalie likes the Maisy books right now. Today at the library, she noticed their Maisy poster for the first time. When I saw on it that the picture was from this book, I checked this out for her. She enjoyed hearing it at lunch and babbled about it some. (Most of what I made out was duck and mouse). Its nice for sharing with kids who are about to go to story time for the first time, or with kids who are used to the experience and can relate. You could pair it with singing or reading a vesion of ...more
Library Quine
Maisy tells us about the many things to do at the library. She goes there for a quiet read, but has a hard time doing it after her friends turn up. It has some nice positive things to say about libraries, as the children have a lovely time and an enjoyable and hilarious storytime. Maisy finally finds a quiet place to read outside under a tree. I have used this as one of our nursery library orientation books, but I'm permanently on the lookout for one that would explain the services and activitie ...more
Rachel
I bought this for my son at the library book sale because I love Lucy Cousins' bright and colorful artwork. In this book, Maisy enjoys going to the library so she can find a nice quiet place to read a book. This time it is a book about fish. She likes doing other things at the library, including going to storytime, using the computer, and using the resources available there. My only gripe with the story is that it should've ended when she checked out her book, instead of dragging the story along ...more
Ariel Cummins
A very-Maisy book, told in declarative sentences with a strong narrative arc. Clearly written to fulfill developmental needs, colors and patterns are featured prominently. Lots of information about the library and what happens there is included.

The pictures feature the blocky, primary colors typical of Maisy books, which are fun to look at and very eye catching.

Good for a story time about the library, or about community helpers/buildings, although a bit small format. May want to shorten it a lit
Vivian
Great to use with pre-school library tours!
-- the front end paper sports a library card (serves as a prompt for the reader to show and talk about their library's card -- how to get one, etc.)
-- there is a double-page spread that gives a nod to some of the services and features libraries provide (a computer, a listening station, a photocopier, a fish tank, and story time).

The bold primary color illustration of copy-right characters Maisy and her friends adequately hold the children's attention f
Claire
Good for nursery/preschool settings
Brittany Houston
"Maisy Goes to the Library" is a book about what it's like to visit a library. Teachers can read this book to teach students about the different literary resources the Library offers and the reasons why people visit the library such as: to use the computer,to read and check out books,to listen to music, etc. Teachers can also link library activities with school activities and schedule a class visit to the library.
Samantha
Esta historia comienza muy bien. Todo va bien hasta que Maisy se ve perturbado por sus amigos. Siento que el libro va cuesta abajo desde allí. No me gusta el libro de los niños fueron leídos. Siempre he odiado ese libro. ¿Quién en su sano juicio podría escribir un libro así? Pero aparte de eso, este libro estaba muy bien. La vieja señora que se tragó una mosca realmente arruinó para mí. >. <
Patricia
Amanda
While the Maisy videos are a little weird for me (the voices are bizarre), the books are nice and my son seemed to like this one although it may have been a little young for him. It introduces some of the many things you can do at a library, although Maisy has it right, finding a favorite book to read is the best part.
Dylan Reisz
It's nice reading books in quiet corners, but it's also fun to look at the aquarium at the library, play on the playground, and laugh and play during story time. These are all things I can do at the library, so I can totally relate to this tale. Add in the bright pictures and you've got a winner here.
Kate
A cute read-aloud book for kids 2-3. The story's simple and, somewhat transparently, glorifies libraries and reading. I do like that there is an example of a good storytime experience and that, unlike some books about libraries, the author seems to actually understand the way libraries currently function.
Ashley
I picked this our the other day at our library with my 29 month old daughter.
I thought because her new favorite word is Elephant and she knows the word Mouse and
the fact that we go to our library almost everyday that this be a great book to get.
I think she thought it was okay but I liked it.
Lbrown107
Kathryn Hogan
Very engaging for young readers. I enjoyed the aspect about how to have fun and enjoy the library. This book also promotes how fun reading is. This is a great colorful book to get young readers excited about reading while learning to read. Vey cute and enjoyable book.,
Elizabeth
Catherine LOVES this book. I have no idea why. I mean, it's not terrible or anything. But the magnitude of her love seems disproportionate to the quality of the book. I have to give it at least three stars, just based on Catherine's affection for it.
Kelsey
Nov 30, 2012 Kelsey added it
A lovely book to which I think many students will relate. The challenges of finding just the perfect book and spending the day searching the library for the book he or she desires to read is described accurately and vividly.
Alycia Boyce
This book follows Maisy the mouse as she goes to the library and finds out that there is a lot more than books there. Maisy meets up with her friends and they imagine they are the characters in the book.
Alexandria
Que es divertido que yo sabe una anciana que se trago una mosca. Mi hermana odia a ese libro. Mi parte favorita es cuando avestruz leido: yo se de una anciana que se trago una mosca.
Rachel
So cute. Perfect for preschool-aged children. Maisy goes to the library to find a book about fish. When he sits down to read it in his quite corner it gets noisy really fast.
Kara
I have yet to read a more accurate representation of a child's library-going experience. Plus, real children dig it. Simple, lovely and thoughtful. Well done.
Micah Coolio-Ramerez
Mar 04, 2008 Micah Coolio-Ramerez rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kevin
was an action-packed book, but I was deeply sad when maisy got killed by the gang and the ending was sad. But the elephant is funny cuz he's fat.
Whitney Zollman
This is a good book to teach young children all of the things they can use a library for. This is another great book for beginning readers.
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Lola at the Library
  • When the Library Lights Go Out
  • I Took My Frog to the Library
  • Little Gorilla
  • Three Little Kittens
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • Read to Your Bunny
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • Pete the Cat: The Wheels on the Bus
Lucy Cousins, BA Honours in Graphic Design from The Faculty of Arts and Architecture, Brighton Polytechnic, postgraduate degree from Royal College of Art, is an author-illustrator of children's books. She is best known for her books featuring Maisy Mouse but she has also published other children's books including one about Noah's Ark. She is a mother of four and lives in Hampshire, England. Her ow ...more
More about Lucy Cousins...
Hooray For Fish! Yummy: Eight Favorite Fairy Tales Peck, Peck, Peck Maisy Goes to Preschool: A Maisy First Experiences Book I'm The Best