Start by marking “The Truth about Poop” as Want to Read:

The Truth about Poop

Did you know that sharks produce spiral poop? That the average Japanese woman uses 2 1/2 miles of toilet paper a year? That when wolverines are done feeding on a dead animal, they save the rest for later by defecating all over it?

Those gross and fascinating facts can be found in The Truth about Poop, an informative and funny book that will take readers from life before to

Published May 11th 2004 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about The Truth about Poop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth about Poop

Jon
Nov 19, 2007 Jon rated it liked it
Yeah, it's a book about poop. I read it. I liked it. Guess I just felt like a short break from my other reading. Truth about Poop lets you in on more than you need to know about poop. If kids (or adults) feel like learning about this, then this book should satisfy any curiosity. It's short. It's fun. It's a book about poop.
Reed
Feb 10, 2010 Reed rated it it was amazing
I read this in my G.T class in 5th grade and it was HILARIOUS!!!!!!
Cristine Williams
A fun book of interesting poop information for both kids and adults. Love the art work too!
Ruben Salamanca
Sep 20, 2016 Ruben Salamanca rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
Very funny yet informative book about poop. Not just on poop but on toilet paper and toilet history as well. Funny with many facts that are cool to know and think about.
Keri
Apr 04, 2011 Keri rated it really liked it
Category: Non-fiction Book #1

I use this book at the beginning of the year to get kids to start responding to literature. I give the kids sticky notes and tell them that ANYTHING that pops into their heads is okay to write down including; "gross," "that's sick," etc. If I can get their head around what they are thinking (metacognition) with something that easily evokes emotion, then the responses come more easily later on when the content gets more difficult.

The book gives factual information ab
Alexandra
May 11, 2015 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Susan E. Goodman

(2015 Blue Stem Nominee Award Winner)

The Truth about Poop is a book about exactly what the title says.. and that is poop! Of course this may seem silly but I honestly found this book very informative. The book talks about the different species from animals like rabbits to bugs like the crab spider and how they poop. The book also mentions the ABCs of elimination which I think is pretty self explanatory (digestion, waste management system, etc). Other subjects
the boss  is awesome
Jun 11, 2014 the boss is awesome rated it really liked it
it was good but it just said too much about how we don't like to talk about poop and stuff which I think you could mention it once or twice in one book especially one like this, but not once or twice on every page! I liked that it showed some harmful poop too because the first 3\4 of the book it talked about how poop is used or was used in good ways. I think that the people in some countries in Africa are not so smart because they use their left hand to wipe not toilet paper. Also whats with usi ...more
Jourdan Aanenson
This book is about many different ways poop can be used, how much should be deposited every day and what is healthy and what is not.

This book has tons of great information to help children get more knowledge about what poop can be used for. It gives information on animals and how they use their poop and such. This is a great tool to use in the classroom for research ideas or other group activites. The pictures that go along with the words are great because they show what is going on in the words
Taya
Oct 22, 2009 Taya rated it liked it
Shelves: pbgs-4
The inside cover of this book was very interesting. I would have thought that they would have filled it with pictures of their various characters doing ridiculous activities, but instead they filled it top to bottom with random sentences and facts from the book. I am not quite sure if I like this better or not, but it is definitely different. I think I would have preferred the pictures, simply because of the nature of the book and its silly approach with the illustrations. The title page, on the ...more
Joanne Zienty
Jul 01, 2014 Joanne Zienty rated it really liked it
Well, you just know this book is going to be fun... and be enjoyed immensely by elementary students of a certain age. The title alone... and the fact that I, their school librarian, was willing to say it aloud -- in the middle of the library -- was enough to set a gaggle of 4th grade boys into fits of laughter, the kind that makes your belly hurt and leaves you gasping for breath. Well, beyond that ... there's plenty of information to be garnered amidst the hilarity. This is on the 2015 ISLMA Bl ...more
Cameron Thompson
Dec 07, 2014 Cameron Thompson rated it it was ok
This book has every interesting fact you need to know about poop in it. From how much poop women in Japan use a year to how babies who sit in their poop will grow more. It is weird, interesting, and a tad bit gross. I think it is just weird enough but does not cross the line. It has a lot of words on each page so I would say it is for children from age 7 to 11. This non-fiction book is one I would probably put in my classroom. I am sure that the kids would get a good laugh out of it while learni ...more
Kelly Sommers
Sep 18, 2013 Kelly Sommers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng261
Jackie
Sep 07, 2016 Jackie rated it really liked it
The Truth About Poop has a ton of humor in it, but is really very educational. It is amazing how different cultures and generations have viewed this normal bodily function. In addition, animals of all kinds have their own unique way of using it for their purposes of living.

The chapter titles are amusing:

"Birds Do It, Bees Do It"
"The ABCS of Elimination"
"Useful Poop"
"Afterword: The Poop on Poop"

This book has been popular in our library since it first appeared on the shelf...now, being a Bluestem
Victoria Salzmann
Dec 09, 2013 Victoria Salzmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng216
This nonfiction classic helps kids understand their body and answers some of their questions that others feel uncomfortable answering. This book is all about poop. It gives many random facts and helpful answers to the human body. It is a book full of information as well as humor. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and thought it was quiet humorous. There was no specific theme in this book because it wasn't in a story format, but was more informational. This book is a middle elementary read due to th ...more
Ryan Dreier
Mar 31, 2013 Ryan Dreier rated it it was amazing
After reading about this book in the text for class I couldn't resist checking it out. Would make a great book for late elementary students. All aspects of the book are true, the only concerning part of the book is when they describe the time when there was no toliet paper and people would use Sear & Roebuck catalogues but would remove the women's lingerie pages (could be interpreted for use for masturbation) or just because mothers didn't want to want their sons looking at these images.
Hannah Morrison
I was surprised at the amount of information I learned from this book. Possibly the best 20 cents I've spent at a thrift store recently. The kids I nanny love it because they think it's going to be gross every time, but really they love to talk about that archaeologists have recently found fossilized T. Rex droppings. I would probably not use this for whole group instruction, but I don't see a reason to not have it in a classroom.
Deanna
Apr 28, 2014 Deanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: bluestem-2015
The Truth About Poop by Susan E. Goodman is an excellent example that non-fiction can be as enjoyable as fiction. This 2015 Bluestem nominee packs tons of random facts about poop into its short 40 pages. Many of these facts are rather shocking and I found myself gasping and laughing out loud as I read along. This book is well-written, well-researched, easily accessible for the age group, and lots of fun.
Erin Saflarski
Sep 19, 2013 Erin Saflarski rated it did not like it
This informative non-fiction is a captivating book full of very fascinating facts about poop. This book explores all about this subject we try to politely avoid and explain the astounding occurrences happening in the digestive tracts of people and living things everywhere. This book was full of so many interesting facts accompanied by hilarious illustrations. This book might be appropriate for children ages 7-11.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Feb 19, 2008 Krista the Krazy Kataloguer rated it really liked it
Recommended to Krista the Krazy Kataloguer by: Warren (or Walter)
Well, I wouldn't call it a delightful read, but it was...interesting. I certainly learned a few things. And it answered a question that my sister and I have had about bears in hibernation. Overall, it was a balanced look at poop, covering both its beneficial uses and its unwholesome aspects. And to think I'd never have known about this book if it hadn't been for Warren (or Walter). Thanks, boy!
Michele Knott
2015 IL Bluestem Award nominee
It's a book about poop. It's gross. But it's organized well. It explains more about poop then you've ever wanted to know. The beginning and end pages have even more facts about poop. Kids will crack up and definitely want to share their new info with other kids.
Anna Loeppky
Sep 29, 2013 Anna Loeppky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is a funny and very interesting book that brings around a common occurrence and makes it interesting. Yes, it is poop, but there are very interesting things about it. This book talks about all different types of animals poops that is funny and fascinating. This is a book appropriate for upper elementary/middle school.
Noah
Dec 06, 2015 Noah rated it really liked it
Just as the title indicates, this is a book all about poop. Facts in this book range from from how much animals poop to discoveries of dinosaur poop. I think this book is hilarious and would attract even the most reluctant of readers. It has themes of humor and is very informative. I give in 4 out of 5 stars and think that it's appropriate for grades 2-5.
Duane
Nov 27, 2008 Duane rated it really liked it
For anyone who is interested in finding out the "dirt" on poop, this is a excellent resource. With funny illustrations and a simple writing style, the reader will find out all the real information about why we poop, what we can do with poop, and even funny trivia about fun facts about poop. A great book for beginner readers.
Katie Lawrence
Jan 27, 2014 Katie Lawrence rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I kind of can't believe I read this book, but I'm oddly glad I did. Never did I think poo would be fascinating, but this book is incredibly interesting. I learned so many things that I'd never wondered about, but now kind of want to share! Haha. I will definitely be purchasing this for my school library. I know my students will love it and giggle over checking it out too.
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Lexile Level: NA

Pages: 40

Summary: Everything you ever wanted to know about poop and much more.
Who (or what) eats poop. How different animals use poop in their daily lives. Loads of fun facts all about poop.

Recommendations or Comments: Lots of facts, lots of fun ... but not for the squeamish.

Stars: 5 stars

Reviewed By: Michèle Freese
Rahmadiyanti
Oct 20, 2009 Rahmadiyanti rated it it was amazing
Kagum, topik "poop" bisa ditulis dengan begitu informatif tapi juga enak banget dibaca dan kocak. Hilarious. Dari sejarah abad ke abad, kenapa kita harus poop, beda cara poop di antara berbagai bangsa, sampai cara poopnya hewan dan manfaat poop. Asli, asyik banget dibaca, dan pasti bagus banget dibacakan untuk anak-anak.
Joyce
May 27, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it
Gross, hilarious, but very informative, The Truth About Poop makes for a great nonfiction read for kids, especially reluctant readers. It also works well as a read-aloud; I read an excerpt during an elementary school visit for summer reading promotion, and the response was tremendous. One could hear a pin drop, that's how focused the kids (even fifth graders!) were. They begged me to read more!
Nancy
Dec 16, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Was introduced to this book through my five year old niece who loves everything having to do with the digestive system. It's actually a very enlightening book about the ingenious uses for and information about the ending point of the digestive tract. My kids loved it too, and we have our own copy.
Sandy Brehl
More and more titles are exploring the wonderful world of poop, but none could do it better than this. Well-researched facts are related in surprisingly appealing narrations, sidebars, photos, com,mic illustrations, and supplementary sections. If this one doesn't get kids to read, nothing will.
K
Oct 01, 2015 K rated it it was amazing
My oldest son loves, loves loves reading this book. He was enthralled about the details about what people use poop for besides fertilizer.

I am glad that there is an educational and well-illustrated children's book on the subject.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • If You Lived Here: Houses of the World
  • Funny Bones: Posada and His Day of the Dead Calaveras
  • Daylight Starlight Wildlife
  • Jimmy the Joey: The True Story of an Amazing Koala Rescue
  • Where Does Kitty Go in the Rain?