Start by marking “Revolution: The Making of The Beatles' White Album (Vinyl Frontier, #1)” as Want to Read:
Revolution: The Making of The Beatles' White Album (Vinyl Frontier, #1)

Revolution: The Making of The Beatles' White Album (Vinyl Frontier, #1)

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Most books about the Beatles reveal the big picture first and ask questions afterward. This book reverses that approach. It takes a fresh and often funny look at the magnificent and sometimes idiotic career path of the Beatles through the prism of one vital album -- a record considered by many (including John Lennon) to be the one on which they reached their peak as songwr ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolution

Perry Whitford
Aug 12, 2015 Perry Whitford rated it it was ok
The Beatles' sprawling self-titled album, commonly called the 'White Album' due to its sleeve, is considered their magnum opus in the US, but the critical opinion in Britain tends to mark it behind the likes of 'Rubber Soul', 'Revolver' and 'Sgt. Pepper'.

For me, as for the writer of this slap-dash appreciation of the people and circumstances surrounding the recording, the American's have got it right. Certainly I play the album more than any of the others, which is the best measure.

With regard
Paul Bryant
Sep 27, 2007 Paul Bryant rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: beatles
This book says absolutely nothing which isn't said more intelligently and concisely in "Revolution in the Head" by the late Ian Macdonald (and that book covers ALL the Beatles' records). The blurb on the back of this book says that it's from a series called "The Vinyl Frontier" dedicated to examining the making of truly extraordinary albums. Too bad they chose the White Album. The Beatles' records have been examined and re-examined until even the dedicated fan (like me) groans at the idea of a n ...more
Peter Peerdeman
Dec 28, 2014 Peter Peerdeman rated it liked it
I love the white album and I love it even more now. The author gives a very comprehensive overview of everything that has to do with the album, including events that happened in the beatles lives, political events and other albums that came out in 1968. The subjective view makes for a more interesting read but it sometimes gets a little bit in the way of forming your own opinion about the subject.
Brad
Not the most scholarly book ever, but in my opinion it is potato chip reading at its finest. The author gives what information he's found on each song's origin and recording process (sometimes a lot, sometimes very little) and throws in his own humorous comments and criticisms along the way. While I often disagreed with the author's views, I found him charismatic, which is required to enjoy the book. There is also a section about the Manson/White Album connection that is masterfully written.

I di
Craig
Jun 19, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it
Other reviews are quick to point out that there's much more comprehensive coverage of this monolithic album to be found by other authors. However, I feel it's a case of whatever book you read first. Of course this is going to seem thin on the ground if you get to this second in the pile. As it happens, this book was the first I found and almost completely by accident. I found the author honest, critiquing tracks he wasn't fond of and doesn't heap praise on The Beatles to the point it's uncomfort ...more
^
Jul 19, 2015 ^ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beatles fans
Bought this (secondhand) yesterday; completed reading it today. Not a demanding read, but it is both an interesting and enjoyable read; and a useful reminder of the sheer breadth of subject and quality of the Beatles work.

Having said all of that, because this book reads fairly full of personal opinion and analysis, much of which seemed familiar, I should very much like to have seen the author support his arguments with full references of sources consulted. An opportunity missed.

I DID value the
Christopher
Mar 16, 2009 Christopher rated it really liked it
A quick read - I blew through this thing in the space of one lazy Sunday - but a rich source of information about a fascinating album. Hardcore Beatle fans probably know all the dirt in this book, but music geeks and casual fans alike will find a ton of trivia about The Beatles circa 1968. My only problem with the book was that I didn't need as much critical analysis as the author was happy to offer, though taking his cheers and jeers with a grain of salt helped me to enjoy the good stuff in thi ...more
Paul
Jan 22, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it
A very good read. Well written with the perfect blend of interesting stuff and decent sized dollops of fun. Pretty essential for any Beatles fan, but it would entertain all lovers of music making generally. You'll want the record to hand while you read...
Carla Jean
Jul 20, 2014 Carla Jean rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carla Jean by: Clint Wells
My obsession with The Beatles continues to grow... It was so interesting to get some context for these songs, both in what was happening in the band at the time and events in the world.
Adam
Mar 05, 2010 Adam rated it it was ok
Not a great writer on music and not very imaginatively structured - but I'm a sucker for books about great music recordings
TMcB
TMcB rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Lucille
Lucille rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Kristian Sensini
Kristian Sensini rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Sarah K
Sarah K marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Simon Brass
Simon Brass rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2016
Mónica Costa
Mónica Costa marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Krisha
Krisha marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Rob Jones
Rob Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Mathias
Mathias rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Robert Print
Robert Print rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015