Start by marking “Dance to the Piper” as Want to Read:
Dance to the Piper

Dance to the Piper

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Agnes De Mille’s Dance to the Piper is the story of a young woman who always wanted to dance.
Her theatrical family hoped to discourage her of any ambitions toward a career in theater, so they refused her impassioned pleas to have dancing lessons.
They relented when De Mille reached the age of eleven, and even though she was too old to be trained in classical ballet, she b
Published 1952 by Little, Brown and Co

To ask other readers questions about Dance to the Piper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance to the Piper

Sketchbook
Mar 25, 2013 Sketchbook rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: currently
Ag's first stroke in late '70s left her face a twisted pretzel. Her besties said, "It reflects her soul." Aw.~ Are ya sure her face wasnt a cross-ant, I later asked hopefully, as sis pronounces >croissant<.

By end of '40s her breve Bwydom was over. It started w "Oklahoma!" (1943), continued w "Carousel" ('45), but the big R&H flop "Allegro" ('47), which she directed & choreographed, squashed her primacy. Sondheim, a kid on the side : "She was an extremely insensitive woman." ~ Aw ~
Lori
Oct 03, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dancers, musical theatre buffs, hollywood historians
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
An old out-of-print copy of this was given to me by a voracious reader friend who worked with me when I was working in musical theatre as a choreographer. I have picked it up and put it down multiple times over the past 3 years or so but finally finished and I’m glad I stuck with it.

Agnes deMille was a world-famous choreographer, niece of film-legend Cecil B. de Mille. She is probably best known today for her ground-breaking work in Oklahoma! I found her story fascinating. I always assumed she w
Melissa
Dec 31, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strangely, I think I read this before, or tried to, because the early sections of the book were crazily familiar. When I was a child, I read any and all dance biographies or memoirs I could lay my hands on, which were pitifully few given my local public library. I read Alicia Markova's constantly, understood most of Margot Fonteyn's, was frightened by Gelsey Kirkland's, but I didn't understand Agnes de Mille's. 1) she wasn't a ballet dancer so immediately of less interest and b) she didn't take ...more
Sergiu Pobereznic
Dec 10, 2015 Sergiu Pobereznic rated it it was amazing
Agnes de Mille writes extremely honestly about herself in this memoir, often self-deprecatingly. Her tremendous skill as a writer is evident from the start.
She comes from a family of intellectuals: Father was William C. de Mille (playwright, writer and director) and uncle Cecil B. de Mille (renowned producer-director). Her father and uncle built the name that is synonymous with movie making and production... Hollywood. The filming lots in those days were little more than scrub land with snakes
Kerry
Apr 29, 2009 Kerry rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dancers, dancer-wannabes, hollywood history hounds, Single tax economists
What an interesting life. Agnes DeMille - as a choreographer is enough, but her family, early Hollywood - this is rich with context
Emmie
Oct 11, 2010 Emmie rated it liked it
Haven't read this since I was 9. Really liked it then.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Fareeda
Fareeda marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne added it
Jan 14, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Natalia Perez
Natalia Perez is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2016
Flourish&Blotts
Flourish&Blotts marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Jessica Robinson
Jessica Robinson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Earl Adams
Earl Adams rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
G.G.
G.G. marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Abigail Czapsky
Abigail Czapsky marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Susana
Susana marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Angela Barto
Angela Barto marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Emilio Ramos
Emilio Ramos marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Amar Baines
Amar Baines marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Glad1981
Glad1981 rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Livy
Livy marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015