Start by marking “Dance to the Piper” as Want to Read:
Dance to the Piper

Dance to the Piper

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Agnes De Mille’s Dance to the Piper is the story of a young woman who always wanted to dance.
Her theatrical family hoped to discourage her of any ambitions toward a career in theater, so they refused her impassioned pleas to have dancing lessons.
They relented when De Mille reached the age of eleven, and even though she was too old to be trained in classical ballet, she b
Published 1952 by Little, Brown and Co

To ask other readers questions about Dance to the Piper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance to the Piper

Sketchbook
Ag's first stroke in late '70s left her face a twisted pretzel. Her besties said, "It reflects her soul." Aw.~ Are ya sure her face wasnt a cross-ant, I later asked hopefully, as sis pronounces >croissant<.

By end of '40s her breve Bwydom was over. It started w "Oklahoma!" (1943), continued w "Carousel" ('45), but the big R&H flop "Allegro" ('47), which she directed & choreographed, squashed her primacy. Sondheim, a kid on the side : "She was an extremely insensitive woman." ~ Aw ~
Lori
Oct 03, 2011 Lori rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dancers, musical theatre buffs, hollywood historians
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
An old out-of-print copy of this was given to me by a voracious reader friend who worked with me when I was working in musical theatre as a choreographer. I have picked it up and put it down multiple times over the past 3 years or so but finally finished and I’m glad I stuck with it.

Agnes deMille was a world-famous choreographer, niece of film-legend Cecil B. de Mille. She is probably best known today for her ground-breaking work in Oklahoma! I found her story fascinating. I always assumed she w
Kerry
Apr 29, 2009 Kerry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dancers, dancer-wannabes, hollywood history hounds, Single tax economists
What an interesting life. Agnes DeMille - as a choreographer is enough, but her family, early Hollywood - this is rich with context
Emmie
Haven't read this since I was 9. Really liked it then.
Kassandra Garcia
Kassandra Garcia marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Tracy Quinn
Tracy Quinn is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Stephanie Blackwood
Stephanie Blackwood marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Sharayu Pawnikar
Sharayu Pawnikar marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
G
G marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Lizita
Lizita marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Jesika
Jesika marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Mayka
Mayka is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2013
Matthew Walton
Matthew Walton marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Davionne
Davionne marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Ellee
Ellee marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
M
M marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2012
Alix
Alix marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2012
Alexis
Alexis added it
Aug 30, 2014
Excellent read 1 1 Aug 10, 2013 11:46PM
Martha: The Life and Work of Martha Graham To a Young Dancer Speak To Me, Dance With Me Where The Wings Grow Lizzie Borden: A Dance of Death