Start by marking “Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook” as Want to Read:
Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook

Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook (Dilbert: Business #2)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  876 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The creator of Dilbert, the fastest-growing comic strip in America (syndicated in more than 900 newspapers and read by more than 60 million people), presents a hilariously biting compilation of cartoons that expose the absurdities of corporate management. Dilbert is sweeping the nation. The San Francisco Chronicle dubbed him "the cartoon hero of the workplace," saying that ...more
Published March 20th 1998 by Boxtree (first published October 8th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Days Are Just Packed by Bill WattersonIt's a Magical World by Bill WattersonScientific Progress Goes "Boink" by Bill WattersonThe Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Comic Strip Collections
25th out of 290 books — 28 voters
We Got Zombies On The Lawn Again, Ma by Donnie  SmithSomething Bad by Dab10Somewhere Upriver by Patrick LoafmanThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsMiscellaneous Stuff & Stuff by Jim Henry
Read for a laugh
158th out of 226 books — 154 voters

More lists with this book...

Nandakishore Varma
Aug 31, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it
When I obtained my Chemical Engineering degree way back in 1985, I thought I would spend my working days in mathematical bliss, dealing with sexy entities such as partial differential equations and Laplace transforms (we geeks are like that). But alas! It was not to be ("The best laid plans of mice and men...", you know). I joined a pioneering fertiliser manufacturing company as Management Trainee, and they set about the process of transforming us trainees into "managers", with gusto.

For a perio
Joseph
Mar 25, 2013 Joseph rated it liked it
Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook is a cynical book about how to be a cynical manager as told through the voice of the ultimate cynic; Dogbert. Even the book itself is an exercise in cynicism; it's a collection of comics available in other Dilbert books, strung together by a series of sarcastic mock-self-help sections detailing how to 'do irrational and unproductive things' and get your employees to 'resign without a severance package.' That there's a lot of truth in this cynicism is some ...more
Rob
Apr 26, 2008 Rob rated it liked it
Recommends it for: would-be managers
Shelves: own, humor
I tend to think of this as the follow-up piece to The Dilbert Principle. Except whereas The Dilbert Principle was Adams writing as himself, attempting an exegesis on the business world of the late-20th century, Dogbert's Management Handbook is Adams writing as Dogbert, handing over what many would imagine is the tome given to managers after they learn the secret handshake. Though amusing and bitingly satirical, its content is not particularly original and most of the jokes are predictable fare ...more
Dave
May 02, 2014 Dave rated it it was ok
I enjoy the Dilbert / Dogbert cartoon strip and always go there first in the Sunday funnies. Often LOL. This book, with un-numbered pages, has about 500 of the strips, mostly older ones. This is a good example of “too much of a good thing.” One ice cream cone is good. Eating a whole gallon at one time will make you sick. Reading all of these at once, even though you know that they are mainly for humor, will generate cynicism about the work place.
Gemma
Jun 29, 2012 Gemma rated it liked it
There were some funny bits, like, "You should listen to me because my brain is much larger than yours. To illustrate my point, imagine that my brain is, for example, represented by the continent of Africa. Now imagine your brain is represented by something very tiny; let's say, for example, your brain." LOL.

However, the prose got rather repetitive, and by the time I was halfway through the book, I ended up skipping it and just reading the comics.
Sue
Dec 07, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
My God, I swear this was the instruction manual for management used at my last job! You have NO idea! God only knows how I lasted 10 years there, but I had 8 supervisors in that time, if it tells you anything about what the place was like.
William
Jan 21, 2014 William rated it it was ok
I chuckled a lot, and laughed hard enough to lose my place a few times. Unfortunately, only a few. The book struck me as formulaic, and most of the punchlines came from well known jokes.

I just expected a little more wit.
Janet
Oct 13, 2012 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
An amusing way to spend a couple of days. I had fun trying to recognize various managerial actions in my past bosses. Okay, fine, and the current management. Remaining mum on how successful I was.
Ashwin
Jul 02, 2015 Ashwin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If ten people can complete a project in ten days, then one person can complete the project in one day."

That's just one of the hundreds of tips and techniques for would-be managers in the book Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook. This book by Scott Adams is smaller than The Dilbert Principle and concentrates on grooming the would-be manager for a Dilbertian workplace. Interspersed in the guidelines for becoming a good manager are loads of strips from the comic. The strips are concentrated m

Benjamin Shehu
Dec 01, 2015 Benjamin Shehu rated it it was ok
This is a very fun read. It had me laughing quite a few times, however the entire satirical/cynical view of the workplace gets tiresome after a while.

If you've ever read any Dilbert comics, you'll know what to expect. However the accompanying text is a blast to read. I'm rating it this low, as the tedious read wasn't always up to task. After a while, you get used to the same old jokes. It's as if somebody is puking, eating up the puke and puking again. You get tired of that real quick.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 21, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing
We all might have started out like Calvin with a great view of life. But after hitting the workforce we all somewhat become Dilbert. Everyone knows someone like one of the characters in the strips. Highly recommended
Samuel
Apr 24, 2016 Samuel rated it liked it
It's funny enough, and it has plenty of classic Dilbert strips in it. However, it's less complex and less engaging than most of Adams' other books, and it's concomitantly less rewarding.
Ana
Mar 25, 2014 Ana rated it really liked it
A very funny book,that reveals the truth about the life in an organization and stupidity that exists in the corporate world.
After all management can be fun?!
Charles Barr
Oct 31, 2015 Charles Barr rated it liked it
Prior Dilbert comics with commentary... good if you haven't already read the other Dilbert comic collections, mediocre if you have.
Kylie Briggs
Sep 06, 2014 Kylie Briggs rated it liked it
I read this book years ago and remember giggling through the whole thing. Seven years of working for someone who is just like this- not so funny anymore.
Suyash Agrawal
Jun 18, 2015 Suyash Agrawal rated it really liked it
None can beat Scott when it comes to writing corporate satires. Lucky if you could relate to them. Luckier if you could not.
Jessan
Feb 22, 2015 Jessan rated it did not like it
Misogyny :(
Jason
May 04, 2007 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, humor
Someone gave this to me as a gag gift when I took Principles of Management in library school. While it's absolutely hysterical, it's also creepy -- if you've worked in the corporate world, you will have seen or been on the receiving end of the practices lampooned in this book.
Ram
Sep 02, 2011 Ram rated it it was amazing
Damn so hilarious, yet brings out the satire and the truth about the organisation paradoxes and stupidity that exists in the corporate world. Very humorous and everybody who reads it would not deny the facts written as satire and mockery are indeed true!
Jay
Sep 10, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, 2012
Now that I've read this book, I'm thinking that maybe being where I currently am -- as one of the employees working in R&D -- isn't the best choice. Maybe I *should* try to weasel my way into managing. This book gives me hope.
Todd Martin
Mar 10, 2009 Todd Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
A compendium of helpful management tips outlining strategies for doing little work, taking all the credit and inflicting mental anguish on employees. A must read for any budding manager ..... except mine.
Nate Jenson
Jan 19, 2012 Nate Jenson rated it liked it
The prose was kind of funny but it was either too obvious or too forced. However, there are plenty of comics which are very funny.

I gave up on the prose about halfway through and just read the comics.
Lurple
Jan 29, 2011 Lurple rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book when I first became a manager. It becomes less funny when you bitterly realize it's 95% true. Still, it helped get me through some tough times at a hard, unpleasant job.
Jason Walsman
Dec 04, 2012 Jason Walsman rated it liked it
This book is very funny but I don't think it is beneficial to read. If you gain anything from this book besides laughter, it will probably be a more cynical attitude towards all of society.
Natalia Luneva
Jan 10, 2012 Natalia Luneva rated it really liked it
Very funny book, probably true for some of managers. Should be required to read for every manager now and again, just to make sure that they don't forget how we should not manage.
Ajith
Mar 31, 2016 Ajith rated it it was amazing
If you worked in a corporate, you will be able to relate to whatever is in this book. Especially the parts where managers try to take credit and pull you down.
Murali Manohar
Jan 16, 2013 Murali Manohar rated it really liked it
Now you can relate to what the management is thinking about while making those bizarre decisions. A very entertaining and funny book indeed.
Tom
Apr 16, 2009 Tom rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
It had some good funny lines here and there, but you have to like Scott Adams' humor to like it. I liked it, but I didn't love it.
Filipe Lemos
Review coming soon.
Sue
Dec 18, 2010 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-again
Should be read by anyone in corporate America at least once a year to keep from taking it too serioulsy.
  • Unnatural Selections
  • One Last Little Peek, 1980-1995: The Final Strips, the Special Hits, the Inside Tips
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Come Closer, Roger, There's a Mosquito on Your Nose

Adams was born in Windham, New York in 1957 and received his Bachelor's degree in Economics from Hartwick College in 1979.

He also studied economics and management for his 1986 MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.

In recent years, Ada
More about Scott Adams...

Dilbert: Business (5 books)
  • The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions
  • The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century
  • The Joy of Work: Dilbert's Guide to Finding Happiness at the Expense of Your Co-Workers
  • Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel