Obamanos: The Birth of a New Political Era

Obamanos: The Birth of a New Political Era

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The most critical election in living memory, viewed in real time through the eyes of one of our most trusted political commentators.
Celebrated political analyst for The New Yorker Hendrik Hertzberg watches the long presidential campaign of 2007 and 2008 as it unfolds to reveal the transformation of the Democratic Party, the meteoric rise of Barack Obama, and other seismi...more
Published October 29th 2009 by Penguin Books (first published 2009)

John Watson
I couldn't even read past the introduction. The amount of liberal ideology that is spouted from this "book" is enough to have even the most liberal moderate in a dry heaving fit. The poor writing didn't help at all either.
Michael
Although this was a good book and I enjoyed reading it, I am not sure I would recommend purchasing it to others. Mr. Hertzberg has essentially compiled already published essays he wrote between 2004 and 2008 and packaged them in book form. If someone is interested in reading Mr. Hertzberg's writing (which is excellent) from this time period, I suggest searching the Internet or locating the printed version of his writing in a library in lieu of buying a book with the same material in it.
Sam
It's thoroughly enjoyable to retrieve Hertzberg's Comments from the archives of the New Yorker. His portrait of Bush's departure and the rise of Barack Obama consistently delivers something more than "knee-jerk liberal" commentary on the nature of our times.
Michael
Kind of hit or miss for the first 1/3 or so of the book but the essays about the period when the election was down to just 3 or 4 candidates were very entertaining and insightful. I quite enjoyed most of it.
Chris Freud
A great reminder of of Hertzberg's talent. Quite prescient.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Bibliophile
Bibliophile marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Anand Vipani
Anand Vipani marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Greg
Greg added it
May 26, 2013
Savannah Williams
Savannah Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
S. Oberhansley
S. Oberhansley marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2012
Hannah Murray
Hannah Murray marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Emerson
Emerson marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2012
Jason
Jason added it
Sep 21, 2011
Rachel Avenido
Rachel Avenido is currently reading it
May 10, 2011
julia
julia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2011
Politics: Observations and Arguments, 1966-2004 Obamanos!: The Rise of a New Political Era One Million Obmanos! Politics