Start by marking “Deep Shadow” as Want to Read:
Deep Shadow

Deep Shadow (Doc Ford Mystery #17)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  2,888 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
In a remote Florida lake, a cave collapses, trapping Doc Ford and two of his friends. Ford manages to escape and surfaces to find help-but two ex-cons are waiting for him. They're intent on diving to the bottom of the deep lake and finding the remains of a legendary plane, supposedly loaded with gold. Ford's expertise is just what they need. And if he doesn't help, Ford an ...more
Published March 9th 2010 by Berkley Books (first published January 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Shadow

Janny
Once past the truly horrifying and harrowing start (I hate the grim and gristly, it makes me flinch too much!) this book was a top notch thriller, superbly researched, with edge-of-the-seat suspense. Not easy to do, carrying multiple view points, but this author knows his stuff, and created believable, fleshed out characters. I experienced this story in audio book, and the narrator is first rate.
Mike French
Apr 09, 2015 Mike French rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another GREAT book in the Doc Ford series!Non-stop action from start to finish. This is my favorite book of the series so far!
Jay Connor
May 15, 2010 Jay Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In anticipation of our recent visit to Sanibel and Capitiva islands off the coast of Florida, I picked up the most recent Doc Ford book by Sanibel resident, Randy Wayne White. I was not disappointed. Not only did "Deep Shadow" put me in an island mood, but it also played off the recent concerns of invasive species -- like South American pythons -- climbing to the top of the Florida swamp and cavern predator pyramid and crowding out all sorts native animals.

Ford stayed fairly close to home for t
Mayda
Nov 01, 2014 Mayda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danger runs rampant in this thriller. In a race against time, it is a tossup as to what is most life-threatening. Is it the lake where underwater caves may prove to be treacherous? Is it a couple of on-the-run killers who will do anything to get what they want? Or is there an even more threatening being that has no restraints at all? In this adventure story, Doc Ford’s diving companions are trapped beneath the water and time and air are running out for them. But above ground, Doc and his friend ...more
Bruce
Aug 09, 2012 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Bruce by: Myself
The reunion of Doc Ford with Will Chaser who played an important role in his previous Dead Silence along with the ever present Tomlinson, and an old fishing guide named Arlis Futch make for a humorous read. You have so many different types of characters mingling together to search for a plane thought lost to the world along with it's supposed immense treasure make for an interesting read. Throw in 2 killers on the run who happen to come across these defenseless "treasure hunters" in the middle o ...more
Judy
Aug 14, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-2016-books
This is one of my favorite Doc Ford books. It's really very different from the others as it takes place almost entirely under water. What could have been a pretty easy scuba dive in a Florida lake for Doc Ford, Tomlinson, and young Will becomes a very dangerous experience when they encounter some criminals on the run. Not terribly appealing characters, the criminals. What's fun is getting inside the heads of the various characters as they find themselves trapped under water with time running out ...more
Vickie
Sep 22, 2016 Vickie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
I like this series. Each time Doc Ford goes out, something untoward happens. This time Doc goes with a small group to see about a possible sighting of airplane wreckage and its cargo. Gold....
It seems like a normal dive until catastrophe in the form of two escaped prisoners and a rock slide while in the lake. And there is also the possibility of large man-eating critters in the area.
Very suspenseful and it all happens in the course of a few days. Very well told so the reader feels the claustrop
Dorothy
May 21, 2010 Dorothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story full of thrills. What should have been a simple lake dive gets two of Doc Ford's friends trapped underwater with a minimal amount of air left in their tanks. When Ford reaches shore, he discovers two murderers who need his expertise for their own selfish needs. He bargains with them, so that he can save his friends. Meanwhile, while his friends try to save themselves, something that is big enough to eat cows is swimming and living underwater. And it's not an alligator.
Mark
Apr 16, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I look forward to every "Doc Ford" mystery...in my mind this is a very close approximation to my favorite, John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee novels...As with all of White's Ford stories lots of Florida history, flora and fauna...as always Doc Ford and friends rise to the occasion...I hope to have the time to encounter Mr. White the next time he is in the Davenport area again...I can never find the free time to get to the signings
Kathey
Aug 05, 2010 Kathey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oooo, now this new one of Randy Wayne White was a very interesting departure in the way the story was told. At first it frustrated me but then I found I just couldn't put it down! With his same central characters of Doc Ford and his buddy Tomlinson, Randy tells the story of the happenings of one afternoon as a psychological thriller. If you're a Doc Ford fan and haven't read this one, I highly recommend it!
Richard
Apr 05, 2010 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like action adventures.
Recommended to Richard by: I read all Mr. White's work.
If you are at all claustrophobic, do not start this book.

Doc Ford and all the usual Dinkin's Bay regulars show up for an exciting trip to find Baptista's stolen gold. They get a whole lot that they bargained for in their easy dive into a small lake.

Lots of excitement, crazed killers, wild animals and nature's usual threats.
Muld00n
Mar 25, 2010 Muld00n rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has it all... Adventure, Suspense, Excitement, and a predictable ending. The ending is the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 stars. The books is well written and holds your interest.

This book has to be based on a true story. I don't think that the human mind can contrive such events of strictly fiction.
Joyce
Feb 04, 2011 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first of White's novels that I have read....and I will now go get the rest. I got hooked from the first page and spent a nice Sunday afternoon finishing it. Great plot, terrific character development (I really want to know more about Doc Ford and his cronies) and a conclusion that will satisfy the most discriminating reader.
Bill O'Hanlon
Mar 22, 2010 Bill O'Hanlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Randy Wayne White tells a compelling tale and like some other writers whose books are based in place and culture (like Tony Hillerman in Navajo and Hopi country), you get the added benefit of learning a lot about fish, the undersea and aboveground world and culture of Florida. This new one is as good as the best of the Doc Ford series. Highly recommended.
Anderson's Bookshops
Jul 20, 2010 Anderson's Bookshops rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: joes-shelf
Joe said: "Not as well known as Michael Connelly or Robert Crais but definitely in the same league, White hits a home run with his 17th Doc Ford crime thriller. The book finds Ford battling dangers human and animal, on land and on and under water. Nail-biting suspense from beginning to end, the book is capped by an exciting and fitting climax."
Linda
Apr 13, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent read from Randy Wayne White. He is a master of suspense, all the more chilling because he weaves the suspense of the storyline with his detailed knowledge of the predators found in the Florida environment. The combination provokes fear on several levels making it nearly impossible to put the book down.
Lorie
Apr 30, 2010 Lorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
I haven't read Randy Wayne White for awhile, but the quirky characters came right back to me. Lots of suspense that made me want to keep reading. Interesting use of seeing the same thing from different characters' points of view. I learned about Florida's underground water caves and structure - always good to learn while you read!
Rosie
Jul 16, 2010 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hated the beginning with its graphic descriptions of the brutal crimes but became engrossed with the fast passed storyline. Randy has written the best Doc Ford thriller yet. Expect rough language and nothing sugar coated. Literature genius from North Central High School, Pioneer Oh resides in Florida.
Sharon
Jun 09, 2010 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually love the Doc Ford books by Randy Wayne White, but this one was a snoozer! It seems as though White has just taken up cave diving and needs to fill the reader in on all the technical details that have nothing to do with the story. Boring!
Anne
May 31, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Marine biologist, Doc Ford, gets into some pretty hair-raising situations but this one tops them all as he tries to rescue his friends who are trapped in a cave-in underwater while outwitting psycho killers. There is even a sea monster to contend with. Loved this one!
Kitty
Jul 16, 2010 Kitty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doc Ford, a marine biologist, and his friends go diving for a fortune in gold in a lake in Florida. By happenstance 2 fugitives see them go into the water and want to steal their truck to get away. There's a cave-in underwater and a huge marine reptile is almost guarding the treasure. Gripping.
Pam
May 19, 2010 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun break from heavier reading keeping me at the edge of my seat with the pages turning. This author also has such a great knowledge of Florida's geology and aquatic life that one can always learn new things from his novels. The author loves his characters and it shows.
Cyanemi
Jul 19, 2010 Cyanemi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat of a frustrating read. Three different perspectives of the same event. It was not a good experiment. I still love Ford and Tomlinson and some of the esoteric things that were touched on. Of course I am nuts for Florida, which was the main character.
Joann
Apr 01, 2010 Joann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned more about the creatures living in the swamps of Florida. I enjoy the series featuring Doc Ford. Did not enjoy the graphic killing of children in the beginning of the book.....I live in Florida so enjoy writings about Florida.
Paul
Aug 04, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book out just because I was searching for a tropical book. Its actually based in mainland Florida, not the Florida Keys like I originally thought. It was actually an enjoyable read that I had trouble putting down.
Gail
Feb 08, 2013 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the Doc Ford series. I learned even more interesting facts about Florida.
Greg
Aug 10, 2016 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful, action packed and has you holding your breath at times. So happy to see the story take place in Florida, unlike the previous book "Dead Silence".
RUSA CODES
Feb 22, 2011 RUSA CODES rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a Reading List Short List honor title in the Adrenaline category for 2011. For the complete list, go to http://ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rusa/aw...
Charles Dingman
Diving a deep karst lake in south Florida, some of the quirks of its limestone solution landscape and ecology kept me interested, as did the growth of the youngest character, Will. The New Age mumbo jumbo was a minor distraction, when unexplained mental processes were ascribed to some ancestral sprits.
Louise Perks
Jan 18, 2017 Louise Perks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting action book by Randy. As always, I feel I am right there with the characters and reacting to the dangers that present themselves. I have learned more about underwater cave diving and more than I wanted to know about kimodo dragons!
  • Key West Connection
  • Silencer (Thorn, #11)
  • Octopus Alibi: An Alex Rutledge Mystery
  • Bahamarama
  • Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, #2)
  • One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)
  • The Glass Rainbow (Dave Robicheaux, #18)
  • Dead Zero (Bob Lee Swagger, #7; Ray Cruz, #1)
  • Santa Fe Edge (Ed Eagle, #4)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has
More about Randy Wayne White...

Doc Ford Mystery (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1)
  • The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2)
  • The Man Who Invented Florida (Doc Ford Mystery, #3)
  • Captiva (Doc Ford Mystery, #4)
  • North of Havana (Doc Ford Mystery, #5)
  • The Mangrove Coast (Doc Ford Mystery, #6)
  • Ten Thousand Islands
  • Shark River
  • Twelve Mile Limit (Doc Ford, #9)
  • Everglades (Doc Ford Mystery, #10)