Start by marking “Mozart's Blood” as Want to Read:
Mozart's Blood

Mozart's Blood

As a young soprano in the eighteenth century, Octavia Voss was bitten by a vampire patroness during a sexual tryst with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and was imbued with the essence of his astonishing musical gifts. Since then, Octavia has enjoyed several careers as a celebrated soprano, taking on new identities to disguise her ageless beauty, and acquiring an assistant and com ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Kensington (first published June 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mozart's Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mozart's Blood

The Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonWords of Radiance by Brandon SandersonThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussPrince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceA Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin
Best Fantasy of the 2010s
429th out of 582 books — 1,069 voters
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkeFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury1984 by George OrwellBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyThe Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson
Terrestrial SF & Fantasy
181st out of 394 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 22, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
Follow all my reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Beautiful isn’t a term I usually use to describe paranormal fiction, but find it a fitting term for Mozart’s Blood nonetheless. The book suffers slight pacing issues and I had trouble with some of the Italian (apologies, but my brain only works in one dialect), but I found the content itself wonderfully imaginative and more than a little refreshing for the genre.

The cover caught my eye, mainly because the model resembles Scarlett
Dec 06, 2010 Rick rated it it was amazing
Just when you think you’ve read everyone in horror who matters, along comes Louise Marley with her amazing and lyrical vampire tale, Mozart’s Blood. Gripping, artful, tellingly detailed, and impossible to put down, Mozart’s Blood is that rare kind of horror novel that works on more than one level. It’s visceral. It’s evocative. It’s scary. It envelops you in atmosphere and delivers on its promise to tell a compelling story.

Read the rest of my review at Dark Scribe magazine.
Jeannie Mancini
Oct 19, 2011 Jeannie Mancini rated it it was amazing
She is over 200 years old. Her name is Octavia Voss, and she is an Opera Diva renowned around the world. Her voice is that of an angel, sweet, yet powerful. Her resonance comes from the very blood that flows through her delicate veins, the blood of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The maestro's music, his memories, his every thought and stroke of genius, has poured through Octavia's heart forever since the day they were both bitten in Prague by a Czechoslovakian Countess. Centuries old, the beautiful Oc ...more
Aug 17, 2010 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Free Kindle download. BEAUTIFUL book! The writing is poetic, lyrical, and evocative, and it made me feel as though I were listening to a piece of classical music, or better yet, an opera. It's about vampires and a werewolf, but it's so unlike all the other vampire and werewolf stories out there, the others seem like cartoons after reading this. This book seems more realistic because it's so rich in detail, in history, in music, and in emotion. It's like an oil painting with layers and layers of ...more
Aug 24, 2010 Crazycatladyslibrary rated it really liked it
Imagine sharing the memories and emotions of the great Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart through a blood bond that spans centuries. That is the premise upon which this book gets its title, but the story line of this novel is much more complicated and intriguing than that.

Aspiring opera singer Teresa Saporiti leaves her family and her small hometown in 18th century Italy behind to pursue her dream. Landing a position at the opera house La Scala in Milan with the help of a gentle benefactor, Teresa’s caree
Shahd Mt.
Jan 18, 2011 Shahd Mt. rated it really liked it
Octavia Voss is an ethereal singer whose talent belies her young age. In truth she's a centuries old vampire who once "Shared the tooth" with Mozart himself. Ugo, her ancient friend and protector stalks the streets to find the elixir that feeds his muse's soul. When he inexplicably disappears, Octavia is left to fend for herself, unprotected. When she learns the truth behind his disappearance she realizes too late, that the life hanging most in the balance is her own.

Personal Take.

Beautifully cr
Deborah Ross
Jan 14, 2011 Deborah Ross rated it it was amazing
I have loved Louise Marley's writing since I opened the pages of THE TERRORISTS OF IRUSTAN. I also love opera, and anything composed by Mozart, so MOZART'S BLOOD promised many elements to please me. It delivered beyond my expectations. Marley writes from her own experiences as a musician and professional opera singer (Seattle Opera, Seattle Symphony). Her deep understanding and love for music sings through the book and brings richness to the plot. While other writers have approached the vampire ...more
Feb 27, 2015 LadyCalico rated it really liked it
A dark, old style vampire tale (i.e. more concerned with their next feeding than their next romance) as if Ann Rice re-wrote Amadeus. I am not a great fan of vampire novels, but as they go, this would rate as a good one. The story was neither as cheesy as the book cover nor as sappy as a contemporary paranormal romance and contained some rich and engaging characters dealing with tense, high-risk situations. The narrative goes back and forth among several different storylines and time periods. Th ...more
Aug 27, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
Free Kindle download--thank you, Amazon!

Very creative, origina, and well written. Dances back and forth through time, but it's easy to follow and clearly done. If you're not an opera fan before you read it, you may well be by the time you're finished. The author obviously cares about the beauty of the art, and that care comes across loud and clear.

Would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a well-crafted story.
Amy Lignor
Sep 16, 2011 Amy Lignor rated it really liked it
Now THIS is a vampire book! If you’re expecting a slow-paced, gooey-romance you will be disappointed, because this author has offered a fantastically rich, dramatic story of the undead that will grab you by the throat from the very first page…and not let go. A wonderful fact about this novel is that the story’s actual inspiration was the life of Teresa Saporiti, who was an Italian soprano back in the 1700’s who is most famous for creating the role of Donna Anna in Mozart’s famous opera, Don Giov ...more
Aug 08, 2011 J'aime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been a fan of Louise Marley for many years; she is a gifted storyteller who, as a former opera singer, weaves a theme of music through all her books. This time she gives us immortal vampires, whose only solace in a never ending existence is music. It’s tough to make vampires fresh or original because they have been done ad infinitum. Marley managed to do so by combining some common ideas (burned by holy water) with some not so common (the curse of memory), and above all – the music.

Our pro
Sue Smith
Oct 12, 2010 Sue Smith rated it really liked it
I decided to pick this book up because of a review by someone on Goodreads - a random check - and I'm rather glad that I did. Don't judge the cover - it's somewhat goofy and doesn't portray the sofistication of the story at all. It was a great twist on the vampire story theme, without the usual sexuality the modern versions are so keen on. I thought it kept closer to the original horror of the idea and did a good job of explaining things that makes you wonder if they really could be around in ou ...more
Sep 14, 2011 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It combines two of my favorite things. Mozart and Vampires. It was a different read for me and I enjoyed the different representation of vampires. It was not all seduction or all blood. I think the one thing that made this book fascinating to me is that I was very fortunate to see Don Giovanni performed and that helped me understand the book more and relate the book to the play. This was a good read that combines opera, vampires, and surviving life.

I would definitely
Nov 09, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
This story follows a vampire from the time she is "made" through several centuries to her present life. She has had to reinvent her mortal persona several times and has kept up an operatic career throughout all her lives. It deals with the issues of an immortal not being able to age, but having to "retire" and disappear for a time between lives so her secret isn't detected. The story is told in the present tense with flashbacks to previous lives and historical settings. I found it very interesti ...more
Aug 25, 2011 Sherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book free on my kindle and started reading it, not really knowing what I was reading, but I didn't want to stop. I really liked it. yeah there's vampires and stuff but it was a good read.
An Endeavour award reread because I didn't score it the first time. Actually I liked it better the second time. Basically an opera, vampire werewolf book set in Italy - not really my cup of tea but I like Louise Marley and it is a pretty good read and well written.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Entertaining paranormal about a vampire and werewolf in the thrall of pera: surprisingly unromantic yet compelling tale of passion.
Aug 17, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
A different kind of daywalking vampire story, the "memory" angle was somewhat of a new twist, and though I'm not a huge opera fan, I really enjoyed being immersed in this world.
Dec 26, 2010 Mollie rated it it was amazing
I think this is the best vampire since Lestat. Not quite as good as Anne Rice, but really almost there.
Christi Barth
Aug 05, 2010 Christi Barth rated it it was amazing
Sweeping, lyrical, gripping - can't say enough good things about this one. A must read!
Oct 02, 2010 Atomicangel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Elisabeth
Shelves: vampire
Absolutely fantastic book, beautifully written. A lot of opera-related context
May 08, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
Octavia Voss is an up and coming operatic soprano; with an ethereal voice, poise, and talent that belies her young age. The young woman, however, has a secret - she is a vampire and she is over 200 years old. To protect that secret, Octavia relies on her friend Ugo, her friend and assistant who goes out every night to procure the precious 'elixir' she needs.

When Octavia is cast in La Scala, she and Ugo look forward to returning to Rome. When Ugo disappears not long after their arrival, Octavia f
Sep 12, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Vampires and a werewolf, but NOT a romance, unless you count love of music. Teresa was an ambitious singer in an opera being directed by Mozart, when she and Mozart are both bitten by a vampire. The hook is that sharing blood means sharing memories, so her musicianship is enhanced tremendously by her acquired memories from Mozart. In the current day the renamed Octavia has a werewolf companion who is her blood procurer (very much like an addict) so she doesn't have to bite anyone. But someone al ...more
Jackie Uhrmacher
Nov 12, 2010 Jackie Uhrmacher rated it really liked it
The plot, characterization, and setting in Mozart’s Blood are superb. My only warning to readers would be that the book contains a great deal of exposition. The scenery truly makes the story, so don’t expect an action-packed bloodfest. While there is action, blood, intrigue, and a fair bit of terror, those elements are woven into the storyline rather than splattered on the walls.

Full review available here:
Louise Marley takes a stab at reinventing the vampire myth in this gorgeous story of a opera singer who was turned in 1787, and her werewolf assistant, Ugo. The book weaves scenes from throughout the two characters' history to provide back story and supplement the present-day scenes. Honestly, the contemporary plot line is not very compelling. It's the historical plots that kept me engaged and intrigued. The book made me want to listen to some opera.

But I HATE the cover.
Dec 20, 2011 Eleanor rated it it was amazing
This is an EXCELLENT book! I loved how the stories were entwined with each other! It gives details of life in the opera while a production of Don Giovanni is going. It has a little bit of sci-fi in it, but it is mainly based in a music setting in contemporary times with a hint of historical fiction. It was a hard to put it down!
May 12, 2011 Rachele rated it it was amazing
I loved how I knew some of the different operas that were listed in the book and how the author used actual real life people like Teresa Sapporiti (forgive me if I spelled it wrong) and Mozart. I loved the writing style of Louise Marley, however I got confused every once in a while when switching back and forth between Octavia's current and her past. I love the character of Massimo Luca!
Katie Ann
Aug 03, 2010 Katie Ann rated it really liked it
Had I known this was a vampire novel, I might have not given it a second glance as I'm finding that genre somewhat tiresome at this point. This is very well done. Marley interweaves historical people/events well and spends a good deal of time and effort on her characters and on relationships in this novel.
Aug 16, 2010 Jerri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It had it's moments but after awhile all the opera details became a distraction. I freely admit to not caring and skipping over some of it. I also wanted to see more of Octavia's relationship with Ugo. Just ok for me.
Ann Wilkes
Nov 02, 2010 Ann Wilkes rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Review on Mostly Fiction.
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • Once Around the Track (St. Dale, #2)
  • A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street
  • The Pearl at the Gate
  • The Queen's Dollmaker
  • No Fear
  • Sullivan's Justice (Carolyn Sullivan, #2)
  • Booth's Sister
  • An Unwanted Hunger (V'KAR, #1)
  • The Ocean Inside
  • Flowers for Elvis
  • Love, Unexpectedly (Wild Ride To Love #2)
  • The Bite Before Christmas
  • The Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova, #3)
  • Half Past Dead: The Undying Heart / Simon Says (The Blades of the Rose, #0.5; Guardians of the Dark, #1)
  • Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
Louise Marley, a former concert and opera singer, has published sixteen novels. Writing as Cate Campbell, her recent books are historical fiction. As Louise Marley, she writes fantasy and science fiction and occasionally young adult fiction.
More about Louise Marley...