Start by marking “The Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome” as Want to Read:
The Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome

The Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Published January 2nd 2010 by Nabu Press (first published 1880)

To ask other readers questions about The Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome

Doreen Petersen
Not the sort of book I would usually read but I figured I'd give it a try. If you like to read about ancient Greece and Rome then this is the book for you but unfortunately it really didn't impress me that much.
Fred
This is a well researched and essential book for anyone trying to learn more in real depth about the religious beliefs of the Greeks and Romans. It doesn't go into any great depth in any one area but what it does is cover all ridiculous numbers of the Gods and Godesses of both Pantheons. I honestly had no idea that there were so many minor divinities until reading this book.

It loses a star by being a true history book and not making much effort to liven things up. It reads very nearly as a textb
Tommy /|\
What an embarrassing piece of work. Berens litters most of the retellings of the myths and legends with his over-arching commentary on how each mythological tale and archetype is essentilly the work of a "savage", "crude" or "unrefined" civilization.
Tina
Sep 03, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on my e-reader, which meant I didn’t have access to the much lauded footnotes (major drawback I didn’t know about when I bought it!). However, I read it to refresh my memory of ancient mythology before settling down to read The Iliad, and I am amazingly glad I did. Berens has done an excellent job of assuming that as an adult you probably know the basics, and manages to both refresh what you already knew, and introduce new material. I especially enjoyed learning more about HOW the an ...more
Eddie Galarza
Greece is the cradle of Western civilization. Even after thousands of years our culture and society continues to be heavily influenced by the beliefs, myths and legends of these ancient peoples. For that reason, once upon a time the educational system in the United States included formal instruction about the classics, and in his desire to provide students with a concise volume on this subject, E.M. Berens penned this work. In it you will read about the origin of the gods, their quarrels, love a ...more
yyyasmin
Apr 22, 2015 yyyasmin rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks, adult
I understand that Greek Mythology is a pretty hefty topic, but the author presents in an easy and understandable way. It's just that, it was hard to keep track of so many characters, though, and at several points I did feel as if I was in a history lesson...and I dozed off. But if you read books like Percy Jackson or whatever and you want to find out more, yeah, then you can use this book as your reference.
Pooja Naidu
Interesting, yes. Of course Greek mythology always is, additional thanks to Percy Jackson. But reader friendly? No seriously, the way its presented I would much rather go and do something else & forget about the book completely than actually read it with interest.
David
May 25, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, mythology
A good summary of Greek mythology, relating the stories well but not exhaustively. Roman mythology, however, plays a pretty small part. This book is available online for free.
Sep 24, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Excellent quality Project Gutenberg ebook: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/22381

It's a keeper for reference.
Cari
Aug 14, 2014 Cari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not dry or well referenced enough for a textbook and not written in flowery enough prose for an amusement.
Janeiva
Jul 18, 2014 Janeiva rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I KNOW THIS BOOK IS FOR EDUCATION PURPOSES BUT WOW IT CAN PUT A COLIC CHILD TO BED COULDN'T FINISH
Deion Stewart
Sep 30, 2015 Deion Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome by E.M. Berens a four out of five stars because it gave me a different perspective of Greek mythology. Other book about Greek mythology throw facts at the reader. This book however gave me the facts of Greek mythology but also the background and origins of Greek myths. They were able to tell me about Greek Gods and Goddesses, their origins, and the unique characteristic that each one possessed. Unlike other books they gave two different perspe ...more
Mary
Sep 11, 2013 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason why I like my myths as they are and not through someone's open interpretation or ordering is because the author usually tries to prove his POV with half-infos. So far, this is what Berens is doing... He doesn't have to mention what we believe nowadays or actually back in his days and he doesn't have to mention the bible. But I won't judge the book solely on the intro.

This book is just an overview of the myths, very vague. I wouldn't suggest it to serious students. It's very much censu
Rafael Blayze
May 10, 2015 Rafael Blayze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: somewhat-enjoyed
This book isn't an enjoyable read. Well, unless you like reading textbooks about mythology. So I'm fortunate that I do. Mythology stories--no matter how scholarly, archaic, or dry--really get me going. Especially greek mythology. My favorite mythological stories here are about: Achilles, Heracles, Odysseus, Perseus, Jason, the city of Troy, the Titans, and Gaea.
Andrew G
Mar 27, 2014 Andrew G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really goes deep into the belief of the ancient Greeks and Romans. It talks about all of the important gods and goddess. It also talks about the minor divinities like the furies. The book also talk about the legends of the heroes like Heracles and Odysseus: that is not in a lot of Roman and Greek mythology books. I would recommend this book or people who like mythology.
Qi
Dec 29, 2014 Qi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many gods and goddesses, as well as heroes and mortals. To keep track of them and their story lines are nearly impossible. This book has a simple and clean writing style, giving the basic outlines of events and characters. It is a good reference book but hard to read as a narrative.
Judy
Sep 26, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, non-fiction
This was a very thorough examination of Greek and Roman mythology. Unlike Edith Hamilton's Mythology, Berens goes into much more detail. However, like I mentioned in my review of Hamilton's Mythology, the best way to get the full details is to read the sources.

I have the Kindle version of this, and I was greatly annoyed by the random question marks that peppered the pages. At first, I thought it was just for the ae dipthong, but then I noticed that the question mark showed up in place of the "r"
Alison
Mar 17, 2014 Alison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All I can tell you is that I am glad I believe in only 1 God and that we are all His children. Otherwise, it is way to confusing to understand who controls what, who's married to whom, who hates whom, and who's children belong to whom. So confusing.

The book was fine but the subject matter was not enough to keep me interested.
Tami Romo
May 21, 2015 Tami Romo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The intro is ideal, but will irk those who elevate greek and/or roman mythology... The side by side telling is helpful. Linear and organized... A great pre-read for in depth study.
Joshua
Mar 02, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lacking a classical education, and reading many of the classics, I often struggle to associated the many allusions to Greek Mythology. This book provided me with exactly what I was looking for. A succinct over view of the Pantheon, with the associated stories of each of the major players. I can't say I have a thorough knowledge of Greek mythology after reading this, but then all I was looking for was an aid in filling in the gaps of my own poor education. I have read in the past several of the E ...more
Emily
Oct 02, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have added religious practices to the title. I was hoping more for story form and found an overview of gods, goddesses, demi-gods, and how they were worshipped. Still, it was very insightful.
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
What can I say? I LOVE MYTHOLOGY. Gods and goddesses are just plain awesome. I've been listening to this for the longest time so I think I'll surely miss this. :)
Andrea
Jun 02, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty interesting. I enjoyed it but I didn't care for the authors comments about people being idiots for believing in the old gods.
Ian
Nov 19, 2012 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book and very useful refernce if you're interested in the mythologies of the founders of European civilisation.Some of the language will seem rather archaic, but I think this was written in the late nineteenth century as a reference for schoolboys studying the classics.

This doesn't detract from the book being an interesting and informative read though. I'd recommend this as one to dip into from time to time rather than as a book to read from cover to cover. Each myth is broken up int
Jack Munn
Jan 22, 2016 Jack Munn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will be the first to admit that I'm biased. That being said, I love Greek and Roman myths. this book was very well organized and detailed.
Nathan Jerpe
I tracked this down on Gutenberg, a great complement to Bulfinch which came out a generation before. I wasn't able to find much information about it but the excellent Table of Contents convinced me to give it a try.

Berens doesn't have the literary skill of Bulfinch but his coverage of Greek mythology is more exhaustive, and he explicitly delineates Greek from Roman myth more than Bulfinch does. Berens does however lack the Norse tales, and if you want this in print you'll probably pay through th
Dorothy
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Nikki J
Oct 01, 2012 Nikki J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what you'd expect from a Victorian book. Surprisingly non-judgemental and coloured by mores of the times.
Having said that, he does allude to some beliefs common at the time, such as describing how intelligent a god's forehead was in depictions.
He only really fell down on his description of Priapus. He fell prey to Victorian prudishness. Tut, E M Berens :-)
David Gwartney
May 04, 2014 David Gwartney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
What I enjoyed about this book is that it was not only a good basic overview of Greek mythology, but also a deeper look into Greek and Roman religious practices. Many works covering mythology do not delve into the religious practices of the day, but the two are more difficult to understand when separated. Berens covers both in this classic work.
Leslie
Sep 03, 2012 Leslie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading - E-Book : A book you read a little bit at a time. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd Dynasties. Sea Divinities- Minor Divinities- Night and Her Children- Roman Divinities- Public Worship of the Ancient Greeks and Romans- Greek Festivals- Roman Festivals-. The Heraclidae, The Siege of Troy, Return of the Greeks from Troy.
  • Classical Mythology: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Children of Odin: The Book of Northern Myths
  • Modern Mythology
  • History of Julius Caesar (With Engravings)
  • Legends of the Egyptian Gods: Hieroglyphic Texts and Translations
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
  • An Account of Egypt
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • Notes on the Death of Culture: Essays on Spectacle and Society
  • Imperfect Spirituality: Extraordinary Enlightenment for Ordinary People
  • Curious Myths of the Middle Ages
  • British Goblins: Welsh Folk Lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions (1881)
  • Classical Mythology: Images and Insights
  •  The Student's Mythology A Compendium of Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Assyrian, Persian, Hindoo, Chinese, Thibetian, Scandinavian, Celtic, Aztec, and Peruvian Mythologies
  • Asgard Stories: Tales from Norse Mythology
  • The New Humanists: Science at the Edge
  • The Oxford History of the Classical World

“Erebus (Darkness) and Nyx (Night), who formed a striking contrast to the cheerful light of heaven and the bright smiles of earth. Erebus reigned in that mysterious world below where no ray of sunshine, no gleam of daylight, nor vestige of health-giving terrestrial life ever appeared. Nyx, the sister of Erebus, represented Night, and was worshipped by the ancients with the greatest solemnity.” 0 likes
“Having discovered him[6] they gave full vent to their ecstatic delight by indulging in the most violent gesticulations, dancing, shouting, and, at the same time, wounding and gashing themselves in a frightful manner.” 0 likes