Start by marking “Clancy and Millie and the Very Fine House” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Two new neighbors discover that friends are what make a house a home
Clancy has just moved. He is missing his old house terriblythe new house is much too big and much too lonelyand he wondershow he willever make it his home.With the help of his new friend Millie, Clancybuilds towers to the sky and trains to the street outside, and together they build the home that Clancy th
Published July 9th 2010 by Little Hare Books (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Clancy and Millie and the Very Fine House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clancy and Millie and the Very Fine House

Kathryn
Aug 10, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS
3 stars story/4 stars illustrations

Here is the story of Clancy who moves from a home he dearly loves to a house that he feels is much too big. Though his parents love the house and point out all the good things, he can't help but miss the things in his old house. His sadness falls away when he discovers the boxes from moving day. What fun he will have building things with them! Especially when Millie, his new neighbor, comes to help.

I really liked the first half of this story, but the
Tasha
Apr 22, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Clancy and his family move to a new house, everyone is delighted, except Clancy. Clancy think everything about the new house is too big. He fondly remembers his old room, the old fireplace, the old house. Clancy heads outside to play and discovers the huge pile of cardboard boxes left from the move. He starts to play in them and then hears someone’s voice. It’s Millie, a new neighbor. The two play together with the boxes, finally building a house out of them, a very fine house.

Gleeson has c
Elma Branigan
May 02, 2013 Elma Branigan rated it really liked it
Clancy and Millie and the Very Fine House

Clancy and his family have just moved into a new house and Clancy appears to be very unhappy. His parents adore the new large spacious house and try to convince Clancy of all the wonderful new things that this house will bring. All he wants is the little old cosy cottage that they have just moved away from. He sits alone and remembers the old house, his old room and the old fireplace.

Clancy decides to go outside to play and it isn’t long until he discove
Katie Fitzgerald
Blackwood's art is perfect for quiet books like this one, where the action takes place in one small space, inside of one small person. Her style is very serious-looking, and sets a gentle tone that provides comfort and validation for kids' difficult feelings of sadness, loss, and fear. The text also conveys this atmosphere, making this a book that doesn't just preach at kids about change and opportunity, but shows them through the experience of one of their peers, how the shock of moving really ...more
Dee-Ann
Oct 25, 2015 Dee-Ann rated it really liked it
Interesting little book ... I wished the text was not quite to faint ... it made it a bit tricky to read with failing eyesight. It is a bit 'grey' in the beginning, but it improves and one is lead to believe that it will be okay (though it is not stated) as Clancy now has a friend and they really did build a fine house!
Sonya
Oct 21, 2013 Sonya rated it really liked it
Why This Book: This story will add depth to the collection because it will add to the friendship genre with story that is takes place in a clear city setting.

Genre: realistic fiction

Theme/KW: friendship, moving, storytelling

Quality: The illustrations provide a lot of context for the story by showing the difference between suburb and city homes. The pictures also depict the emotionality of the children well. The story also includes a children's retelling of the story of Three Little Pigs.

Features
Jbaccon
Jan 24, 2016 Jbaccon rated it it was amazing
Brilliant for our international children...often on the move...new homes....new friends.
Allison Parker
Sep 10, 2011 Allison Parker rated it really liked it
Clever artwork excellently depicts a daunting new house through a child's eyes: huge, gloomy rooms lack the cozy warmth young Clancy remembers from his old house, made more intimate in small panels opposite the images of the exaggeratedly sparse, vast, and dim environments of the new place. It is only through the small spaces of the empty moving boxes, and a subsequent friendship with a neighbor, that Clancy begins to shed his apprehension and his world warms up again. Splendid.
Megan
Jul 11, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, moving
This was a little more elementary than I had anticipated. It's a sweet story of a boy that moves from a cozy, little house, to a large, empty one. He's convinced he will never be happy in the house even though his mother repeatedly tells him how wonderful the new house is. Eventually the boy meets a girl in the neighborhood and they become friends. This would be great for kids that are moving, ages 4-8.
Jen
Aug 08, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Clancy and his family have just moved to a new house that is much bigger than his old house and his mother is thrilled. Clancy isn't. He misses his cozy spots in his old home. One day Clancy discovers a pile of boxes and a new friend in Millie with whom he makes all sorts of new and fun things with the boxes including a very fine house!
Amy
Sep 19, 2012 Amy added it
I love these illustrations by Freya Blackwood - they're beautiful, dynamic and engaging and the story too is fun and cute, as well as something I can relate to even as an adult who spent most of her childhood moving around...
Karen Arendt
Jul 18, 2011 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
Moving to a new house story. Meets a new friend, and they use lots of cardboard boxes to play The Three Little Pigs. I love the illustrations. Lots of brown and red with bold lines yet soft in the center.
Carrie Gelson
Jan 12, 2013 Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it
The best part of this story - the celebration of play through some very imaginative building with boxes. Of course, also a great book to touch on anxiety about moving somewhere new.
Kristen
A very simple, realistic story about how it feels to move, and how it feels to find a new friend next door. Pair this with "Bella & Stella Come Home" by Anika and Christopher Denise.
Karen
I like the way everything about the boy's new home looks too big, too unfamiliar. It adds a different dimension to a story of a move, a new friends, and imagination.
Samantha
Feb 05, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Good friendship story. Very clever and relatable. The author/illustrator team do a good job of capturing a kid's perspective on moving and make believe.
Stefani
Feb 09, 2011 Stefani rated it liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Sweet story. As adults, we tend to like new, big houses. Kids definitely see things differently. And friends are what really makes you at home.
Gervy
Dec 24, 2012 Gervy rated it it was amazing
Really sweet story about a little boy who reluctantly moves house, and a friend he makes in his new 'hood. Gorgeous illustrations.
Tracey
Oct 19, 2012 Tracey rated it really liked it
Avery nice family book to read about Clancy moving house...In the end he liked hes house and meet a new freind called Millie.
Heather
Jan 20, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
44 months - Who doesn't enjoy a good story about making things with boxes. I liked the illustration style as well.
Denise
Dec 23, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book for children who need a little help getting adjusted to a move or a new situation in general.
Tam
Jul 19, 2014 Tam rated it liked it
My 5-year-old liked this book. He said it was fun to see the kids building things out of boxes.
LoriAnn Kocialski
Apr 15, 2011 LoriAnn Kocialski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-hannah
We love boxes ... so this was a great book! Very nice pictures!
Marge
Mar 09, 2011 Marge added it
Clancy & Millie build a house out of boxes & act out the three pigs
Mayra
Feb 22, 2011 Mayra rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
About moving and creating new friendships :)
PWRL
Apr 18, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Dana
Jul 29, 2011 Dana rated it liked it
3.5
Diana Jaber
Diana Jaber rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Jayde
Jayde added it
Apr 26, 2016
Ngaire
Ngaire added it
Apr 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
"I was born in Young, a small town in south western NSW in 1950. After a few years we moved to Glen Innes, on the northern tablelands and then when I was ten we moved out west to Dubbo. We moved because my father was a schoolteacher and each change meant a promotion for him.

There were six children in the family. I was number three and there wasn't a lot of money. We didn't have television and of c
More about Libby Gleeson...