Start by marking “Whose Shoes?: A Shoe for Every Job” as Want to Read:
Whose Shoes?: A Shoe for Every Job

Whose Shoes?: A Shoe for Every Job

Writer/photographer Swinburne turns to a topic close to young children’s hearts in this nonfiction picture book. After a few pages depicting children with and without footgear, he offers a guessing game in which a photo on the right-hand page shows a person below the knees and asks, Whose shoes? A turn of the page gives the answer and a full-length photo of a ballerina (or ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about Whose Shoes?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whose Shoes?

May 20, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
I liked Swinburne's full-color photographs that were used as illustrations - they were clear, mostly well-composed and had child-appeal. The book opens with a few brief statements about shoes and then moves into a guessing game for the second half of the book. With one exception, the guessing game was well constructed with context clues beyond the type of shoe apparent in the photos. The chef's shoes are a bit mystifying though and I just breezed right through that page, basically telling the ...more
Donalyn
People from all walks of life share their shoes. Lap readers will enjoy guessing "whose shoes?" and discussing the types of jobs they will have some day and the shoes they will wear.

Beckie
Every job has a certain shoe to help the person work better. My 2 year old loves shoes and loved looking at all the kinds of shoes people can wear. My 7 year old enjoyed guessing what shoe belonged to which occupation.
Suz
Oct 09, 2016 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
This board book is full of sharp, clear photographs. The text begins with the statement that "Most people wear shoes." There is a photo of an infant wearing soft baby shoes, then it talks about shoes for different kinds of weather and shoes in favorite colors. The heart of the book is filled with photos of shoes for specific occupations and the reader may guess what job is begin shown, then turn the page to see if they are correct. The photos include everything from a ballerina to an Army ...more
Danielle Zuhlke
Opening: Earlier in the week, take a picture of all of the students' shoes in the class, print them, and write each student's name on the back. Before reading the story, say, "We are going to play a guessing game. I am going to hold up a picture of one of our friend's shoes, and we are going to guess whose shoes they are. Now, if I hold up a picture of your shoes, don't tell us. Stay quiet and try to trick your friends! Are you ready?" Discuss any questions the students may have, then begin by ...more
Dolly
Jul 14, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book about, what else?, shoes. It describes how people wear different kinds of shoes in different weather, vocations and environments and the second half of the book is a guessing game about what occupations each person has, based on their footwear. It's a fun book and our girls enjoyed reading it to me.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Preschool Story Time on 6/27/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 9/27/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
RC
Whose Shoes?: A Shoe for Every Job is a great book for young children to explore different careers by something as simple as the shoes they wear. Readers can guess who is wearing what shoes.

This book helps prepare children for kindergarten by exploring math and science concepts.
Kristen
Easy early non-fiction that would work for a unit on careers. I like the photographs and the simple text, and the "guessing game" format works well for a read-aloud. Wish they'd included a more diverse cast in the photos.
Melanie
Aug 05, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Everyone where's shoes at some point. The author presents several different types of shoes with feet in them and invites readers to guess whose shoes they are.
Michelle
Jun 24, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
i've had teachers of young students ask me to do a storytime on careers and this would fit perfectly with that.
Miss Sarah
Feb 05, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: shoes
This book left me so so. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. Acute explanation of different types of shoes and then the chance to guess what shoes go with what job.
Sharon
Jul 12, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Steve has written a delightful picture book with wonderful pictures! I mean who doesn't love shoes? Steve's book explores who wears what kind of shoes for different jobs and activities...
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2010
John
John rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2016
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Jenna Friebel
Jenna Friebel rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Jessi
Jessi rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2013
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Knitlover
Knitlover rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2011
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it liked it
May 13, 2015
Claudia Jara
Claudia Jara rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Rachee
Rachee rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2011