Dark Viking (Viking II, #10)

Dark Viking (Viking II #10)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  470 ratings  ·  37 reviews
After a sea operation gone wrong, Navy SEAL Rita Sawyer awakens to find herself still clad in her wetsuit and in a cage with a bunch of Vikings staring at her, including one very tempting warlord.

Steven of Norstead has been in a cold, dark mood for many weeks. But perhaps this unusual woman, with her sharp tongue and irksome ways, could be the one to light his fire.

Mass Market Paperback, 283 pages
Published October 5th 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Dark Viking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Viking

Outlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerA Knight in Shining Armor by Jude DeverauxBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie MoningA Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
The Best Time-Travel Romance Novels
97th out of 493 books — 2,711 voters
Fires of Winter by Johanna LindseyHearts Aflame by Johanna LindseySurrender My Love by Johanna LindseyDream of Me/Believe in Me by Josie LittonCome Back to Me by Josie Litton
Best Viking Romances
22nd out of 64 books — 117 voters

More lists with this book...

♡Karlyn P♡
It was OK, but I think I prefer her viking stories set in modern day, not the ones set 1000 years back in time. I also prefer the female vikings MUCH better, as the male vikings are just too alpha and barbaric for me to find interesting. I normally love Sandra Hill and her humorous sexy novels, but this one isn't a favorite.
Pam
All I can say is ....I loved this book! I've read all of Hill's Viking/Navy SEALS/WEALS series and they are all good. This one was so good I just smiled and giggled throughout the entire book. Steven and Rita were wonderful together. I loved the way He was always trying to teach her to submit to him even in "bedsport." The sex scenes were HOT but, they just seem to fit in because she is such an aggressive female and he is a major Dominant Viking. I still wish she'd tone down the descriptions of...more
Bookaholics
Dark Viking by Sandra Hill
Paranormal Romance- Oct. 5th, 2010
4 ½ stars

Looking for a book that is hilarious, outrageous and guaranteed to perk up your day? If you aren’t familiar with Sandra Hill’s exuberant humor then you are in for a treat. She writes light hearted books that really transport the reader into a world you wished you could inhabit. Her characters are a hoot and the heroes in particular are so hunky! In Dark Viking, she continues her Navy SEALs, time travel Viking series.

In this...more
Eastofoz
I’ve read this book by Sandra Hill countless times already only with a different title and characters :-/ It’s so superficial, filled with bad romance novel stereotypes and now that she’s venturing into light erotica it’s also dumb with just plain bad writing.

I had high hopes for this book because the (misleading) back blurb sounded good. Well the “strong” SEAL/WEAL trainee heroine turns into a weakling who never once tries to take down the oafish Viking hero who appears to be suffering from de...more
Amy
Quick Rundown: Rita Sawyer, former movie stunt woman, is now training to become a female Navy SEAL. She is knocked out cold (hit on the head) during a routine SEAL training session and time travels to Norstead during the Viking age. Steven, leader of Norstead, discovers Rita, believes she is a sea creature (given that she arrives in a wetsuit) and decides to jail her until he figures out what she is and what to do with her. The witches of the land believe they have cast a spell to summon Rita's...more
Samantha
The latest installation in the Viking Series by Sandra Hill is packed with a lot of humor and steamy love scenes.

Rita Sawyer is a stunt woman who is recruited into the Navy SEALs, assuming she can pass hell week. Rita thrives on a challenge and being athletic definitely helps her. She is on a water test when she is zapped back in time. When she wakes up she is surrounded by Vikings.

Steve Norstead embodies what a true alpha Viking male is. He is a warrior who is strong, fierce and respected by hi...more
Darcy
Reading this series I just know what I am in for and always look forward to it. These books are just "cheesetastic", it is just part of their charm. The way the couple has misunderstandings, one from the future, one from the past, makes for some great scenes.

This time around we have Rita, a modern day woman, thrust back to 9th century Viking time. Rita seems to be a very modern woman, a stunt woman, and almost Navy WEALS. She is shocked when she realizes just where she is and she seems to have...more
Katie
Loved this book. Once I started reading I was enjoying it sooo much I didn't want to put it down. To the point where I had a serious debate after finishing it about going and buying more books by this author to read next, even though I have 30+ books already purchased and sitting in my to-be-read pile!

I do have to admit that thinking back on it, a couple days after reading, that this book seems more in line with a normal Viking romance books (her latest series releases) than time traveling. Ther...more
Judith
Love, love, love this book! Of course, like so many of Hill's books, this is just chock full of funny, funny segments, conversations, repartee, observations on the part of the main characters. And how many of us would be able to keep a straight face as we are trying to explain our modern world to the Norse warriors of 1,000 years ago? Just a really great book and such a delight to read. And of course, it is a delightful love story with a great sizzle. Wouldn't mind having that Norse warrior arou...more
Jacqueline
I still prefer the earlier books in the series. It was nice to find out what happened to Steven who was, I guess, left behind two books ago when Thorfinn was dumped in the future but once again, I miss the Ericsson/Magnusson clan and the Navy SEALs. I keep wanting to know what happens to the rest of the Magnusson brood and some of the more mysterious SEALs. And I'm pretty certain now that I prefer the characters to time travel to the future in this series than to have the characters go back in t...more
Kristine
4.5 stars! I really enjoyed Dark Viking. What makes this book, and Joy's book before it, so funny is that they are strong--physically as well as emotionally--women from the 21st century. At one point Rita actually, literally knocks Steven on his arse. While I was laughing, Steven was completely dumbstruck and more than a little appreciative of the act.

A very fun, super quick read.

Amelia-Irene
Take one female Navy Seal , ex-stunt womane, who time travels in her wet suit back to the 900's to a stuck in the mud Viking who has someone raiding his ships and the fun begins.... I laughed through a good part of this book.
I wasn't expecting to get hooked into it but then i just had to finish it, made me laugh out loud so if you're looking for some humor plus hot vikings this is the thing for you.
Deidre
Review coming.......
Michelle
Dark Viking is part of the Viking Series II novels by Sandra Hill.

Book Blurb:

If life weren't dangerous enough, stuntwoman Rita Sawyer has been recruited by the Navy SEALs. Now instead of being lit on fire and hurtling through skyscraper windows, she's trying to survive her grueling SEALs training.

But when a sea operation goes wrong, Rita awakens to find herself still clad in her wet suit and in a cage with a bunch of Vikings staring at her. With no idea how she traveled back in time to the Nors...more
M A
Britta
check out my book blog at www.msbibliophile.blogspot.com

Rita Sawyer, experience and sought after stunt woman in Hollywood, is approached by two of the Navy SEALs’ finest and is encouraged to join the ranks of a newly formed class of WEALS (Women on Earth, Air, Land and Sea – the female equivalent of the SEALs. She readily accepts when she learns of the sign on bonus that will allow her to pay off her mother’s daunting medical bills (that piled up before her death).

Rita is on a training mission...more
Wendy
I have always loved Sandra's writing. And she didn't let me down with DARK VIKING. The story is engaging, emotional, funny, and greatly written! I loved it. This is a time-travel and so great you'll swear you are there with Rita. DARK VIKING is part of Ms. Hill's Viking series, but can be read as a stand alone. I'd suggest you be prepared to laugh out loud, literally at moments, so please keep that in mind. You may find yourself getting teary-eyed as well, but when the final page is turned you'l...more
Dianne
If there isn't another book after this I'm going to have to hunt the author down and chain her to a chair and force her to continue writing books. She ends this book with a "The End---Or is it?" How cruel is that?

This is a funny series with well drawn, believable characters and you just know if they were real they would be among your best friends.

An amusing and briskly moving story line keeps you glued to the page and makes this a fairly quick read. The mystery was such that I just didn't see th...more
Tammy
Apr 09, 2012 Tammy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: timetravel humorous historical fiction lovers
Hooray for Sandra Hill. I was in a dark mood when I started rereading this book. Of course she tickled the funny bone. I couldnt hardly put it down and just like Steven I am in a better mood. Rita Sawyer a stunt woman joined the Navy Weals to help pay off debt. Boy was she surprised to wind up in a wooden cage in eleventh century Norway when a mission went wrong. Steven of Norstead (Thorfinn from Viking Unchained brother) has been very down since his brothers dissapearance. He certainly doesnt s...more
Karen
This is Mrs. Hill 2nd book starring the WEALS, woman Navy SEAL. I do not like it as much as I liked the first one, Viking Heat (Viking II #9) by Sandra Hill. Rita, a former stuntwoman before being a WEAL, and Steven, Thorfinn's brother who is in Viking Unchained  by Sandra Hill, did not have the best chemistry the first two did in the first book. Both Steven and Rita were characters I really did not get into at all. Also, it was almost the same scenario as the first book.
Amy
Rita is a stunt double who has just recently been recruited to the WEALS Program ( Like SEALS. Her training is going fine when on a mission she bumps her head on some rocks and wakes up to find she has time travelled to the land of the vikings. Meeting one particular irksome creature a hulking man by the name of Steven. How is she gonna get home, and how is she gonna handle Steven?

I enjoyed this book, although I found it a bit corny especially how Steven had to control every situation. I give th...more
Deanna also on Leafmarks because I miss Marco
I enjoyed this story. I liked Rita. The dialogue was cute and funny, not LOL but enjoyable. Steven was sex and a reluctant leader of his people, but a good one. I thought Rita should have initially been trying to get back to America and when she realized the truth, to her time. There was no other real plot lines, but I love Viking alphs. I was intrigued enough to want to read the others in the series.
Stacie
Very funny read. Rita is training to serve with the navy. She has an accident and when she wakes up she has time traveled back to viking days. Steven of Norstead finds her and brings her to his keep. Witches at his keep have predicted that she would arrive to take away his bad mood. His is very depressed because he brother Thorfin has been missing for two years and presumed dead.
MandyM
I always enjoy Sandra Hill's Viking stories but you have to check your brain at the door. These books are intended to be very lighthearted and certainly not an accurate portrayal of Viking life. The romances are all pretty much the same but they are such fun you just enjoy going along for the ride. Not my favourite of her books but still a pleasant way to pass the time.
Jocelin

Another good one from Ms. Hill. I loved the characters in this book. They were fiery, fearsome and exciting. I love it when the 2 worlds clash in her novels. The stand point that she writes seems believable. Really fun to read and I could hardly put it down.
Dawn ♥ romance
I liked this next installment in the viking series full of humor and action packed. The hero and heroine love progressed pretty evenly except he needed more atonement for collar scene. Stunt woman Rita recruit to SEALS travels back to Viking times and Steven.
Stephanie
While I love her books, I just feel like the heroines are always losing thier backbones, especialy with this book. Rita gave it to him way to much and a modern women would have never put up with stunts (dog collar), even if she weren't a WEAL.
Amy D
Could have been more, much more. I was disappointed. She was a trained military stunt woman, that could have had a great many scenes making her more of a partner than a sex partner. Some parts are rushed and poorly executed. I wish it was better.
Ann  Lorz
No one writes like Sandra Hill. She makes you laugh until your stomach hurts. After reading one of her viking stories you"ll never look at a viking man the same way again.
  • Ladies Prefer Rogues: Four Novellas of Time-Travel Passion
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
  • Dreams Of Stardust (De Piaget, #3)
  • Must Love Kilts (Highlander, #5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance
  • Viking!
  • Through Time-Pursuit (Through Time, #1)
  • Ravished by a Viking
  • Flirting with Forever
  • Healing the Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #7)
  • The Covert Wolf (Phoenix Force, #1)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)

Sandra Hill is a graduate of Penn State and worked for more than 10 years as a features writer and education editor for publications in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Writing about serious issues taught her the merits of seeking the lighter side of even the darkest stories. Sh...more
More about Sandra Hill...
The Last Viking (Viking II, #1) Tall, Dark, and Cajun (Cajun, #2) The Very Virile Viking (Viking II, #3) The Cajun Cowboy (Cajun, #3) The Reluctant Viking (Viking I, #1)