The Goodbye Time

The Goodbye Time

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  20 reviews
AS LONG AS she can remember, Anna has lived in the same Upper West Side apartment with her parents and brother, Tom; she’s attended the same private school and had the same best friend, Katie. Katie has always loved hanging out with Anna’s family and escaping the tension in her own small apartment, where her single mom struggles to raise her severely mentally challenged br...more
Published December 9th 2008 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

Annie
Definitely not what I thought this book would be about. I mistakenly thought, based on the sweet cover and small size, that this would simply be a book about friendship. It is so much more than that - and the content is a little more mature than the cover would suggest as well. I think of this as a step-up, maturity-wise, from Allie Finkle. The main character, Anna, and her best friend, Katy, have very different lives. They are right on the cusp between being children and young adults, and as su...more
KConaway
Kristi
Read this for a realistic fiction genre study on special needs... the character with special needs was a very minor part of the story. The cover is misleading - I thought it took place in the 50s, but it takes place in present-day Manhattan. First person narrative - moderate pacing, choppy plot. Parents seem to be just vehicles for advice and explanation. Author tried to tackle too many issues with this one slim book (98 pages): change/new beginnings, imaginary play, first kiss, friendship (figh...more
Catherine  Mustread
Oct 17, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: New book display at Peoria Library
Shelves: childrens
Too preachy for me: "change happens, life is unfair, friends aren't always nice, and sometimes endings precede beginnings". Would classify as a friendship story for middle grade girls (talk of dresses and periods would be off-putting to most boys) but at less than 100 pages might not meet teacher requirements. Print could easily have been made one size bigger to stretch this thin novel out a bit farther...
Rosiea
Jan 02, 2009 Rosiea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: young girls and their mothers
Recommended to Rosiea by: a colleague
Ms. Conway does it again with this wonderful coming of age novel. I bought this for my niece and decided to read it before shipping. The author remembers all the drama, angst, wonder and magic of adolescence. This book reminded me how the world felt to me when I was same age as Anna and Katie. These are characters you know well in your heart. I recommend this book highly.

Ingrid
I really enjoyed this book. Anna and Kate are best friends in spite of their very different lives. Anna comes from a stable, loving family while Kate's family is more complicated. Their friendship is tested and for a while Kate wont have anything to do with Anna. It is a great story of girls having to face some adult problems and realizing the importance of real friends.
Ashley
For such a short book, this was a surprisingly sophisticated snapshot of the two very different lives of a pair of best friends. The story could have been longer and more in-depth.
This is a short sweet look at a friendship in transition from childhood to adolescence. The characters are believable and the pacing is steady. I don't think children will love this book, but it is certainly likeable. The cover is eye-catching.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Fifth graders who are best friends...one's poor, ones not. One girl has a mentally ill brother that gets put in a home. She takes it out on her best friend then they are friends again.......
It was okay....
Theresa
This book didn't really ring true to me. It had elements of a great story but it just seemed kind of phony to me. There were some interesting parts though.
Gloria
It was good. Short, fast. Good. I don’t know what I expected but I don’t think I expected what it was. But I thought it was good.
Em
Jun 28, 2009 Em rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Teenagers
It talks about difficults in friendship and talking to your parents as u get older.It is really good
Sara
I thought this book would be better than it was. I stopped reading it about 20-30 pages in.
Sophia K
It wasn't the best book, in other words.......I wouldn't read it again :(
Shannon
started slow, LOVE THE COVER, but couldn't get into the story.
MCPLD Youth Department
Good book that illustrates how friendships change as we grow older.
Lori
had a hard time getting into it - didn't finish it.
Agnes Lee
It so sad but really good I love it
Karen
To be added soon..!
Aliesa
Aliesa marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Sarah Mercado
Sarah Mercado marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2013
Alexis Kawano
Alexis Kawano marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Celeste Conway is a published author of children's books and young adult books. Published credits of Celeste Conway include The Melting Season, Where Is Papa Now?, The Goodbye Time, and When You Open Your Eyes.
More about Celeste Conway...
When You Open Your Eyes The Melting Season Where Is Papa Now? Body Image and the Media eBook