Start by marking “Second Sight (Tales of the Lifesong, #2)” as Want to Read:
Second Sight (Tales of the Lifesong, #2)

Second Sight (Tales of the Lifesong #2)

Something is sucking the life out of Tabitha's song. Someone has stolen the Kingsrim. And the dire prophecy of Wry Tad Zastor is coming true.

The dreaded mark of three is upon this time: the mark of Chaos. Tabitha must face the Sorcerer beyond Eyri, but he was born with hatred for magic and for those who use it. He prepares to end all things in his apocalypse.

But how do you
Published August 1st 2010 by Eternity Press (first published July 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Second Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Sight

Jul 28, 2010 Liviu rated it it was amazing
From my FBC review;

"Tabitha Serannon can perform miracles of healing, yet people are dying in her hands. A prophecy points a crooked finger beyond Eyri and Tabitha must abandon her followers to rescue the source of her power. Every step takes her farther into the terrors of Oldenworld, but she must liberate the essence of life before it is corrupted by chaos. This is no game: a traitor lurks among the wizards, a ruthless enemy hunts her with whips of wildfire and she could lose her closest frie
Jul 26, 2010 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, first-reads
The second novel of the Lifesong series and oh my god it was awesome, far exceeding the first in almost every aspect. This time the story begins in Eyri, following the epic battle that was the climax to Riddler’s Gift, with Tabitha using her powers to heal those who have been injured and in doing so the people of Eyri have elevated her to a god-like stature, practically worshipping the ground she walks on and piling more and more pressure on her to heal and save everyone. In comparison to this G ...more
Ian De
Aug 26, 2010 Ian De rated it it was amazing
To me the tale of the life song is more than just a story. It is a vivid path that Greg takes us on in his exploration of how life and magic work, that forces us to broaden our insight and our awareness of our surroundings, of time and of life itself.

To demonstrate this I would like to share two quotes. The first is from Second Sight - "she could appreciate the rhythm and harmonic resonance of life. It formed a single song: the lifesong." " The lifesong was like a fluid beneath a sponge; it soak
Greg Hamerton takes on the epic concept of "good vs evil" in a big way in his novel, Second Sight, the second novel in his series Tale of the Lifesong. This novel is beautifully written, a little on the "flowery prose" side at times for me. However I know others enjoy that, so its not necessarily a bad thing. I simply prefer a more "simply" written book. Second Sight contained some of the most amazing world building, and the chararacters were compelling as well. Tabitha was inspiring and I laugh ...more
Jul 25, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
Aug 04, 2012 Tabitha Ormiston-Smith rated it did not like it
This book made me sad. After such a promising beginning, which was beautifully done, it just fizzled. The author had a good idea and a good plot, but it failed of execution because the characters were insufficiently developed. This is a great pity, because this book could have been so much better with a bit more work on the characters upfront; as it is, they were flat and one-dimensional and I couldn't bring myself to care about them.

Of course character development hasn't the importance in a rom
I might write a review later.

Or I might not.

I'm too puzzled right now to order my thoughts. I was kind of disappointed with the last chapters (hence the 3 stars). Not much of action. It was more talk, talk and talk, technical explanations on magic, on Order, on Chaos...There was too few of major characters like Ashley or Garryll (what was it that happened to him anyway ? Change and back ? Uh ?...yes, yes, I got the symbolism. Still...).

I liked this read but at the same time, I am glad it is over
Cynde mitchell
Aug 21, 2010 Cynde mitchell rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this reminds me a lot of the novels by Katherine Kurtz-Deryni books.I'd like to read the first one too.It was a great read and easily read.The book was extremely well written and engrossing!!!
Sep 12, 2010 Gerhard rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Brilliant! You get quite desperate for the characters at times! Great read. Hope we don't have to wait another 3 years for the next installment.
Dave Wagner
Jun 27, 2012 Dave Wagner rated it it was amazing
It was with no small amount of trepidation that I continued reading the story of the adventures of Tabitha Serannon and her friends/adversaries, which was begun so wonderfully by Greg Hamerton in 'The Riddler's Gift'. My history with fantasy series' has, for the most part, been spotty at best, and I really didn't want to taint the wonderful experience of my time with Riddler's Gift by consuming a sub-par sequel. Ultimately, after dabbling with a couple of other titles in my library, I took a dee ...more
Susan Mann
Sep 13, 2010 Susan Mann rated it liked it
I hadn't read Greg's first book of this series The Riddler's Gift so I decided to read this first. These books aren't normally something I would read, a little meatier going than my normal preference but I really enjoyed them. I will defetly read the next book in this series. I don't think it has made me want to read more sci fi but more Greg Hamerton.
Second Sight carries on from the battle in The Riddler's Gift starting in a place called Eryi, which is trying to rebuild itself after the battle.
Dec 15, 2012 Eero rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, free-ebook
I had read The Riddler's Gift a while back. This sequel starts pretty much where the last book left off, and concludes the story, There are some loose ends, such as the shadowcaster Kirjath Arkell cohabiting another body (this thread is dropped as soon as our heroes leave Eyri and face bigger challenges). Nevertheless the story is complete enough even if no further sequels are written.

There were a few details I did not like: some of the Gyre wizards' magic seemed more like science fiction tropes
Oct 03, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - this book is amazing. It took me a long time to read it, I think partly because it needed to be absorbed a little bit after some scenes. I love the characters in this book. They have depth and humanity. Tabitha overcomes so many things to reach the end of the story. She gets separated from her friends, finds new ones in unexpected places, and discovers so much about her own abilities and powers. The Wizards of the Gyre all have unique aspects that could be a blessing or a curse. Ametheus i ...more
Deborah Price (McKitrick)
Jun 17, 2012 Deborah Price (McKitrick) rated it really liked it
Hmmm, well I am about 40% through and not a lot of action going on. But I think the 2nd part will probably have lots of it. It is a fairly good storyline. Different from what I have read. Enjoyed the 1st book of the series, The Riddler's Gift: First Tale of the Lifesong.

I am a fan of the heroes of the book, especially Twardy and Tabitha. For me, I have to become completely absorbed by the heroes of the books. However, the bad evil character of the book Ametheus has been very interestingly writt
Mar 08, 2013 Anghara rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
I started and stopped this book a few times. I liked the protagonist, and I sympathized with the Sorcerer...but I could not get into it. I didn't like some of the characters; I wanted to smack Prince Bevn about every time a chapter was told from his perspective. At least Joffrey from Game of Thrones wasn't as insufferable.

About 75% of the way through, it progressed to where I could not put it down. So the first 75% was meh, but the last 25% was significantly better. I am curious about the third
Jason Lewis
Dec 25, 2014 Jason Lewis rated it really liked it
Imagination well done. I read The Riddler's Gift and Second Sight to get the full breadth of the saga. Very well crafted tales that may lead you to a little confusion, but either rereading passages or reading on tends to clear the story. Well crafted plots and characters evolve at a slow but entertaining pace. They both took me a while to finish, and both endings almost being anti-climatic, but what a fun read!
Jessica Macri
Dec 25, 2014 Jessica Macri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
Wow. First off, this book was amazing. a fantastic value, it was a really long book! second, wow, I really enjoyed the story! Amazing characters, in depth story, just.. really good book.

also, next time I play dnd, I want to play a bard!
IMO, this book and the author is on the level of the much praised works by Brent Weeks or Brandon Sanderson. I can't understand why neither of the books aren't on the bestseller lists.

This is epic Fantasy in its highest form and kudos to you Mr. Hamerton.
Nov 14, 2010 Ricci rated it liked it
This novel twists and turns through a world of enchantment and danger as the heroine, Tabitha Serannon, must decifer riddles and travel to unknown places in order to recover the kingsrim and save her king.
May 07, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
It was harder for me to get into the second book in the series. It seemed to drag for me (some of that was external factors preventing me from really sitting down and reading in large chunks). Also, the Bevn character really got to me. I know he's supposed to be whiny and he definitely succeeded.
Michael Brown
Jul 05, 2012 Michael Brown rated it really liked it
More of the same. He tied up the loose ends from the first book and didn't leave too many in this one. I hope he finds away to return to this world again.
Tom Coakley
Apr 29, 2012 Tom Coakley marked it as to-read
Shelves: did-not-finish
I really wanted to like this book. The plot is well thought out, but I found myself dreading picking the book up. Depressing and too wordy. I may try again, but switching to a different book for now
Apr 07, 2011 Mary rated it liked it
For me at times the story was too divided. Too many people in too many places. Really didn't care what was going on with Bevn. I'm hoping for a third book in the series.
May 24, 2013 John rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first book more. Not to say that this was poorly written by comparison, I just preferred the way the previous book ended as opposed to this one.
Karen Walsh

I read this book as soon as I finished the first one book, hard to follow at times and keep my interest
Jillian rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Rob rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2013
Neil Hughes
Neil Hughes rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
Olivia Flores
Olivia Flores rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2016
Heidi Pink
Heidi Pink rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Treespeaker (Treespeaker #1)
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • The Hawk and His Boy (The Tormay Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Shadow of Stone (The Pendragon Chronicles, #2)
  • First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)
  • A Thousand Glass Flowers
  • Gifted Apprentice
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • Progeny (The Children of the White Lions, #1)
  • Black Mercury (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #2)
  • Merchantman (The Girls from Alcyone #1.5)
  • The Eye of Divinity (Knights, #1)
  • Sanctum's Breach (Delver Magic, #1)
  • Necromancer
  • The Last Goddess (The Shattered Messiah #1)
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • Redheart (Leland Dragon #1)
I'm an outdoor enthusiast and have been an active paraglider pilot since 1992. I find it essential to get away from the office on the weekends, and you can't get much farther away than high above the ground, looking down at the mountain peak beneath your toes.

My primary school was artistic. We made up stories. We painted things. We acted out Norse Mythology. It was great, and it's probably the rea
More about Greg Hamerton...

Tales of the Lifesong (2 books)
  • The Riddler's Gift (Tales of the Lifesong, #1)

“If you see the dragon fly,
best you drink the flagon dry.”
“How can you understand the language of music, if you will not be an instrument?”—Zarost” 8 likes