Start by marking “Margaret Mitchell & John Marsh: The Love Story Behind Gone with the Wind” as Want to Read:
Margaret Mitchell & John Marsh: The Love Story Behind Gone with the Wind

Margaret Mitchell & John Marsh: The Love Story Behind Gone with the Wind

The marriage of Margaret Mitchell and John Marsh was more than a marriage of great love and deep friendship; it was a lucky literary match, both for them and for a world made richer by the creation of GONE WITH THE WIND.

Based on almost 200 previously unpublished letters and extensive interviews with their closest associates, this ground-breaking new biography allows the e
Published October 1st 1993 by Peachtree Publishers (first published 1993)

Diana Petty-stone
This is a biography of the book Gone With The Wind and also of Margaret Mitchell and her husband John Marsh. An absorbing read!
Becki
May 03, 2016 Becki marked it as abandoned
I gave up at page 85. It was so tedious to read. And the time frames kept jumping around. I just couldn't see myself enduring it for another 433 pages.
Disappointed, but I'm sure there is a biography of Margaret Mitchell out there I will enjoy reading more. So I'm off to find it.
Sarah Bierle
One of my favorite biographies of Margaret Mitchell because the text relies on/quotes/cites numerous letters and other private papers. Seems to be a fabulous piece of research and the book reads very easily too!
Jillian
I knew I should have read the last few chapters of this biography first. I've just finished them, & now I'm sad, as I always am at the end of a biography.

This was a reread of the first book I ever read on Peggy. I loved this second read! This time I noticed that, perhaps even more than Peggy, the biography is about "J.R.M." -- John Robert Marsh, the name on the dedication page of Gone with the Wind. Peggy is such a firestorm I frankly hardly noticed him when I read this the first time, thou
Pixie Dust
Dec 08, 2015 Pixie Dust rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating account of the woman who wrote one of my favourite books of all time, and the man behind her.

It is part of the legend behind this book that Mitchell wrote the ending first, while lying in bed with the flu. She then went on to write the greatest novel on the American Civil War ever. Sounds easy? Also accidental? I certainly had the impression that the author stumbled upon the writing of this novel almost incidentally. Furthermore, Gone with the Wind was the only book Mitchell publi
Judi/Judith Riddle
It is not well known that John Marshall helped Margaret Mitchell write the Pulitzer Prize winning novel, "Gone with the Wind". Margaret Mitchell, known to her friends as Peggy, came from a family of southern, wealthy and traditional aristocrats . She alienated some of her relatives when during the 1920s and early 30s she, in her rebellion which was fashionable at the time, was attracted to dashing playboys, gamblers and a decadent lifestyle. Then she met John and her life took an about face. The ...more
Karen
Jun 26, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, a little long for my taste (500+ pages)... but having been a long-time fan of Gone with the Wind, it gave a lot of interesting details of the writing of the book, the publishing nightmares and the making of the movie. I can't imagine undertaking such a task as writing and editing an epic without a computer! My favorite quote in the book is when Margaret Mitchell was asked who should play the role of Rhett in the movie, she told them she didn't care if it was Donald Duck or Groucho Marx.
Jennifer Gelert
May 16, 2013 Jennifer Gelert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of "Gone With the Wind". I saw the movie in 3rd grade and then read the book with a dictionary. I stumbled upon this book at the library and knew I had to read it. the love they had for each other is shown throughout the book . The sacrifices he made to help her write the book and then get it published took a toll on his life. John did not care, for him she was his life. The positive and negative attention followed them for years. It forced them to retreat into privacy and be hard ...more
Taylor
This is probably my all time favorite biography. I read this two years ago and I still find myself thinking of it almost daily. Marianne Walker is a phenomenal writer and really lucked out with the resources for this book. Definitely a MUST READ for all Gone With The Wind fans as it allows one to look deeper into the story and truly understand where it came from. I would read this and GWTW over and over again before I ever touched any of the sequels (which I have, and they were very poor, indeed ...more
Ruth
Sep 11, 2016 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mitchell was an interesting person, self absorbed, hypochondriac, talented, popular. She married a man who adored her and apparently they were in love to the end. This author tries to put to rest the notion entertained by many that her husband wrote the book while emphasizing his role in encouraging her, editing her, giving her ideas and dealing with the publisher and later her adoring public. Mitchell hated being fawned on in Atlanta and the fame she achieved.
Apr 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is this the best book about Margaret Mitchell that I've read, it's one of the best books I've read. I've read it several times. The background story of how Ms. Walker came to write it is interesting in itself. For once someone gives John Marsh the credit he deserves, and a truer picture of both of them as people emerges gracefully from the pages. The love John Marsh had for MM is amazing. I would love to find someone like that.....
 Therese
Jun 19, 2012 Therese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Margaret Mitchell's life story will just pop into my head from time to time. No idea why except that it could have been a tragically wasted life, but thankfully, it wasn't. This love story can easily rival John & Abigail Adams love story too, but is tinged with much more needless drama (her being from the South and all). A very "good read!"
Alicia
Feb 01, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Gone with the Wind
Wow! This is all I ever wanted to know (and much more) about Margaret Mitchell's life, her writing of Gone With the Wind, and the aftermath of its incredibly successful publication. I gained a great appreciation for her loving and devoted husband; without his editorial help and encouragement, I doubt Mitchell's masterpiece would ever have been finished and published.
Chrissie
I liked (what I read of) this look behind the scenes of Gone With the Wind. My "could not finish" status on the book doesn't mean it wasn't good; it simply means that it was over 600 pages and I got tired of renewing it. Definitely interesting and engaging, just a bit long-winded. Probably more suited for the total GWTW buff.
Kerry Kenney
Jun 20, 2008 Kerry Kenney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I bought this book in the gift shop of Margaret Mitchell's home in Atlanta. Gone with the Wind is arguably my favorite book. As a fan, I loved this biography and treasured the unique quality of relating how her marriage supported her writing. A great read for the GWTW fan.
Missy
Jun 26, 2012 Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at the Marrietta, GA "Gone with the Wind" museum a few weeks ago. While it is a long book, it's a must have for all GWTW fans!!! It's an amazing love story and the struggles (both in health and the sudden fame) that John and Peggy went through, made me appreciate and love GWTW even more!
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
This was just a great book! It's long, but it's worth it. The book tells the story of the love between Margaret Mitchell (who wrote Gone with the Wind) and John Marsh. It's well-written and easy-to-read. It is also very well-researched and provides and excellent narrative of their lives together.
Po
Mar 17, 2008 Po rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book!! Nate got it for me my junior year of high school, and I was obsessed with it. I think even people who haven't read GWTW would love it. Full of history and fun tidbits. Tons of pictures. Peggy Marsh (aka Margaret Mitchell) was quite a character!!
Sara
Apr 08, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story and two really interesting people. Everyone who wants to write a great book could use the undying support of a John Marsh in their life. I read this book as one of my ten books on marriage for my tenth wedding anniversary...
Nikki Omillian
A little background story to the great American novel, Gone With The Wind. A must read for anyone who loves the the original story.
Suellen
Jul 09, 2011 Suellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fascinating..full of letters MM wrote, and John too...have read it twice and enjoyed as much second time.
chrisworm
chrisworm rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Bronwyn
Oct 31, 2007 Bronwyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably only interesting to GWTW fans, but I loved it.
Lou Ann
Lou Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2010
Brandy Templeton
Brandy Templeton rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2008
Traci Mckee
Traci Mckee rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Katricia
Katricia rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Cheree Martin
Cheree Martin rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Southern Daughter: The Life of Margaret Mitchell and the Making of Gone With the Wind
  • Road to Tara: The Life of Margaret Mitchell
  • Gone with the Wind Letters
  • Anatomy Of A Rose: Exploring The Secret Life Of Flowers
  • Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind: A Bestseller's Odyssey from Atlanta to Hollywood
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses
  • Golden Afternoon
  • Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary: Or Why Can't Anybody Spell
  • E. M. Forster: A Life
  • The Dangerous World of Butterflies: The Startling Subculture of Criminals, Collectors, and Conservationists
  • Vivien: The Life of Vivien Leigh
  • Escher On Escher
  • Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural
  • Becoming Shakespeare: The Unlikely Afterlife That Turned a Provincial Playwright into the Bard
  • Cary Grant: A Class Apart