Start by marking “Margaret Mitchell & John Marsh: The Love Story Behind Gone with the Wind” as Want to Read:
Margaret Mitchell & John Marsh: The Love Story Behind Gone with the Wind

Margaret Mitchell & John Marsh: The Love Story Behind Gone with the Wind

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The marriage of Margaret Mitchell and John Marsh was more than a marriage of great love and deep friendship; it was a lucky literary match, both for them and for a world made richer by the creation of GONE WITH THE WIND.

Based on almost 200 previously unpublished letters and extensive interviews with their closest associates, this ground-breaking new biography allows the e
Published October 1st 1993 by Peachtree Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Margaret Mitchell & John Marsh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret Mitchell & John Marsh

Diana Petty-stone
This is a biography of the book Gone With The Wind and also of Margaret Mitchell and her husband John Marsh. An absorbing read!
Jillian
I knew I should have read the last few chapters of this biography first. I've just finished them, & now I'm sad, as I always am at the end of a biography.

This was a reread of the first book I ever read on Peggy. I loved this second read! This time I noticed that, perhaps even more than Peggy, the biography is about "J.R.M." -- John Robert Marsh, the name on the dedication page of Gone with the Wind. Peggy is such a firestorm I frankly hardly noticed him when I read this the first time, thou
Judi/Judith Riddle
It is not well known that John Marshall helped Margaret Mitchell write the Pulitzer Prize winning novel, "Gone with the Wind". Margaret Mitchell, known to her friends as Peggy, came from a family of southern, wealthy and traditional aristocrats . She alienated some of her relatives when during the 1920s and early 30s she, in her rebellion which was fashionable at the time, was attracted to dashing playboys, gamblers and a decadent lifestyle. Then she met John and her life took an about face. The ...more
Sara
Amazing story and two really interesting people. Everyone who wants to write a great book could use the undying support of a John Marsh in their life. I read this book as one of my ten books on marriage for my tenth wedding anniversary...
Alicia
Feb 21, 2014 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Gone with the Wind
Wow! This is all I ever wanted to know (and much more) about Margaret Mitchell's life, her writing of Gone With the Wind, and the aftermath of its incredibly successful publication. I gained a great appreciation for her loving and devoted husband; without his editorial help and encouragement, I doubt Mitchell's masterpiece would ever have been finished and published.
Jennifer Gelert
I am a big fan of "Gone With the Wind". I saw the movie in 3rd grade and then read the book with a dictionary. I stumbled upon this book at the library and knew I had to read it. the love they had for each other is shown throughout the book . The sacrifices he made to help her write the book and then get it published took a toll on his life. John did not care, for him she was his life. The positive and negative attention followed them for years. It forced them to retreat into privacy and be hard ...more
Karen
Okay, a little long for my taste (500+ pages)... but having been a long-time fan of Gone with the Wind, it gave a lot of interesting details of the writing of the book, the publishing nightmares and the making of the movie. I can't imagine undertaking such a task as writing and editing an epic without a computer! My favorite quote in the book is when Margaret Mitchell was asked who should play the role of Rhett in the movie, she told them she didn't care if it was Donald Duck or Groucho Marx.
Taylor
This is probably my all time favorite biography. I read this two years ago and I still find myself thinking of it almost daily. Marianne Walker is a phenomenal writer and really lucked out with the resources for this book. Definitely a MUST READ for all Gone With The Wind fans as it allows one to look deeper into the story and truly understand where it came from. I would read this and GWTW over and over again before I ever touched any of the sequels (which I have, and they were very poor, indeed ...more
Not only is this the best book about Margaret Mitchell that I've read, it's one of the best books I've read. I've read it several times. The background story of how Ms. Walker came to write it is interesting in itself. For once someone gives John Marsh the credit he deserves, and a truer picture of both of them as people emerges gracefully from the pages. The love John Marsh had for MM is amazing. I would love to find someone like that.....
Kerry Kenney
I bought this book in the gift shop of Margaret Mitchell's home in Atlanta. Gone with the Wind is arguably my favorite book. As a fan, I loved this biography and treasured the unique quality of relating how her marriage supported her writing. A great read for the GWTW fan.
 Therese
Margaret Mitchell's life story will just pop into my head from time to time. No idea why except that it could have been a tragically wasted life, but thankfully, it wasn't. This love story can easily rival John & Abigail Adams love story too, but is tinged with much more needless drama (her being from the South and all). A very "good read!"
Chrissie
I liked (what I read of) this look behind the scenes of Gone With the Wind. My "could not finish" status on the book doesn't mean it wasn't good; it simply means that it was over 600 pages and I got tired of renewing it. Definitely interesting and engaging, just a bit long-winded. Probably more suited for the total GWTW buff.
Missy
I picked up this book at the Marrietta, GA "Gone with the Wind" museum a few weeks ago. While it is a long book, it's a must have for all GWTW fans!!! It's an amazing love story and the struggles (both in health and the sudden fame) that John and Peggy went through, made me appreciate and love GWTW even more!
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
This was just a great book! It's long, but it's worth it. The book tells the story of the love between Margaret Mitchell (who wrote Gone with the Wind) and John Marsh. It's well-written and easy-to-read. It is also very well-researched and provides and excellent narrative of their lives together.
Po
I LOVED this book!! Nate got it for me my junior year of high school, and I was obsessed with it. I think even people who haven't read GWTW would love it. Full of history and fun tidbits. Tons of pictures. Peggy Marsh (aka Margaret Mitchell) was quite a character!!
Suellen
fascinating..full of letters MM wrote, and John too...have read it twice and enjoyed as much second time.
Bronwyn
Probably only interesting to GWTW fans, but I loved it.
Ellen Brown
A must read for any fan of Gone With the Wind.
Eliz
Eliz marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Jane B.
Jane B. marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Eugine
Eugine added it
Jun 12, 2015
Sarah Corrie
Sarah Corrie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
AMANDA DEFREESE
AMANDA DEFREESE marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Mary Armstrong
Mary Armstrong marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Southern Daughter: The Life of Margaret Mitchell and the Making of Gone With the Wind
  • Road to Tara: The Life of Margaret Mitchell
  • Gone with the Wind Letters
  • Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind: A Bestseller's Odyssey from Atlanta to Hollywood
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • An Obsession With Butterflies: Our Long Love Affair With A Singular Insect
  • After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses
  • Byron: Child of Passion, Fool of Fame
  • Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural
  • Becoming Shakespeare: The Unlikely Afterlife That Turned a Provincial Playwright into the Bard
  • The Dangerous World of Butterflies: The Startling Subculture of Criminals, Collectors, and Conservationists
  • Vivien: The Life of Vivien Leigh
  • Cary Grant: A Class Apart
  • The Beastly Baby
  • Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary: Or Why Can't Anybody Spell
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Golden Afternoon
  • Frankly, My Dear: "Gone with the Wind" Revisited
When Cuba Conquered Kentucky The Graves County Boys: A Tale of Kentucky Basketball, Perseverance, and the Unlikely Championship of the Cuba Cubs Shadows & Shading: A Beginner's Guide to Lighting Placement The Highest Ceiling Copic Coloring Guide