Start by marking “Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics” as Want to Read:
Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics

Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics

Packed with insider tips and tricks, this how-to guide is fully revised to cover the latest version of Google Analytics and shows you how to implement proven Web analytics methods and concepts. This second edition of the bestselling Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics is the perfect book for marketers, vendors, consultants, and Webmasters who want to learn the insta ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 501 pages
Published March 15th 2010 by Sybex (first published January 1st 2008)

Sep 28, 2008 Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who wouldn't want to read this book? Okay, well, since I know that no one will ever read this review, I would like to point out that this is the best book on Google Analytics I have read. I think it's also the only one. I will conclude this incoherent review by pointing out that if you are actually still reading this, you are also somewhat pathetic. But not as pathetic as I am :)
Mar 12, 2015 Tai rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
completely outdated. most of the names for things have changed in google analytics, which makes this very confusing. this book was published in 2012 so it refers to classic analytics rather than the new universal analytics. that means all the code in the book is no longer relevant either. its basically just a slightly expanded version of the google analytics help website in book format, so you may as well read the documentation online and not confuse yourself with outdated names, techniques, and ...more
Debra Oyler
Dec 09, 2009 Debra Oyler is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting so far and a little scary, Google has so much influence but seem to value engineering and objective data over anything else, equating popularity (number of hits) with value(of information). And then there are those pesky "overlooked " copyright issues....
Joe Tippetts
Nov 10, 2008 Joe Tippetts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're interested in website analytics (specifically Google Analytics), this is a great foundation book. It teaches you how to measure every aspect of your website so you know how to optimize it for whatever goals you have.
Sep 03, 2012 سارة rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
recommended for people trying to make it in online marketing
Brian Clifton
Jul 22, 2010 Brian Clifton rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
I am the author so I am bias...! I wanted to post some further info on what the book aims to achieve and who is is aimed at. The following text is for the second edition.

[ The companion website is :]

What You Will Learn From This Book

You will learn how to implement and use Google Analytics in a best-practice way. I deliberately emphasize the word use because this is the primary purpose of this book. That is, you will learn how to leverage Google Analytics to optimize
Jan 07, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should caveat this rating by saying those 4 stars are for the book when read back in 2009-2010. Since that time, the changes in GA have rendered much of this book null and / or incomplete.

That said, there are still great nuggets of information to be gained and Brian Clifton provides lots of useful tips for those getting started with web analytics. I can't speak to later editions (this was the first or second edition) of the book but hopefully its been updated accordingly.
Brian Clifton
Apr 02, 2015 Brian Clifton rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
As the author of this series of books, I am requesting you do NOT purchase it...

Published in 2012, my book is a technical "bible" about Google Analytics. Highly regarded at the time, it is now however very out of date -the difficulty of writing about internet technologies! Essentially, I do not feel comfortable with people still purchasing it from Amazon et al... I have requested the publisher (Wiley/Sybex) withdraws it from sale. If fact, I am surprised to find it still for sale.

Tip: for a
Cristina Miclaus
Great way to advance your way of usig Google Analytics. Very usefull. I borowed it to read, but I would like to buy it now.
John Orman
Nov 11, 2012 John Orman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tome tells all about using Google Analytics to improve your website, your brand, and your bottom line.
This 2012 edition includes social media, visitors, flow, and multi-channel funnels.
Clifton shows Webmasters how to obtain metrics on their websites--daily visitors, average registration/purchase rate, average visit time, geographic distribution of visitors, and many more statistics.
Quite a fascinating read with quite a few complicated tables and graphs, but without much mathematics or equat
Apr 18, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 2012 and it is ALREADY out dated. :( That is web analytic though. There is however a LOT of really great basic information here that is still very relevant. I like that he discusses not jut reporting, but proper coding and set up which is critical for good reporting.

It was a great refresher as I start to build out a new web analytics dashboard. I agree with the author that for reporting out, you ha to have a dashboard outside of you analytics platform to share with marketing and upp
Marcus Österberg
A bit outdated now, but has good parts still.
Jun 16, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful book, but a generation out of date. Does not cover universal analytics or the new user ID collection but is a great foundation as long as you know this. I'll buy the next edition when/if it becomes available.
A couple parts of chapter 11 are already out of date, but the new information can be found online. Things just evolve so fast in the Internet world.

I think I'm prepared for the certification test now, but I've already been applying what I've learned.

Chris Sanfilippo
This was not a bad analytics book. It covered a lot of basic Google Analytics information. I wish it would have provided more case studies for using the advanced features. The part that I found most useful was the goal and event tracking section.
Andrew Rangel
Jun 13, 2012 Andrew Rangel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just bought the third version on my iPad and I am looking forward to reading it. I have read 1/2 way through the 2nd version, but it was across a few months. So I figured I might as well start from the beginning of this one.
Julia Serafina
Jul 17, 2013 Julia Serafina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
A comprehensive overview of how to set up, customise and get the most out of Google Analytic's including best use for the 100 plus reports that can be generated for measurement purposes.
It helped get me certified in Google Analytics. However, with the changes Google has made, the book is going to need an update. Now.
Nov 05, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computerized
Whew, super boring (well, to me anyway), but loads of good info.
Matej Latin Latin
I'm currently reading the 3rd edition. So far so good.
Jano Suchal
Apr 02, 2013 Jano Suchal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review in Slovak
Don Richards
Oct 05, 2012 Don Richards is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It is interesting. Very informative.
Ali marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
M Truxal
M Truxal marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
John O'Farrell
John O'Farrell rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
John O'Farrell
John O'Farrell rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
David added it
Oct 15, 2016
Joe Moukabaa
Joe Moukabaa rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
  • Google Analytics
  • The Art of SEO: Mastering Search Engine Optimization
  • Building Findable Websites: Web Standards, Seo, and Beyond
  • Always Be Testing: The Complete Guide to Google Website Optimizer
  • Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions
  • Advanced Google AdWords
  • Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords: How to Access 100 Million People in 10 Minutes
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Search Analytics for Your Site: Conversations with Your Customers
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Convert!: Designing Web Sites to Increase Traffic and Conversion
  • Social Media ROI: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization
  • Debates in the Digital Humanities
  • The Fourth Paradigm: Data-Intensive Scientific Discovery

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »