Start by marking “The Chosen One” as Want to Read:
The Chosen One

The Chosen One

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  1,508 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Free Shipping if order value from the seller is greater than 399. Used Book in good condition. No missing/ torn pages. No stains. Note: The above used product classification has been solely undertaken by the seller. Amazon shall neither be liable nor responsible for any used product classification undertaken by the seller. A-to-Z Guarantee not applicable on used products.
Published May 27th 2010 (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Chosen One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chosen One

Yuliya
Dec 08, 2011 Yuliya rated it did not like it
I didn`t enjoy it nearly as much as Sam Bourne's other books. The plot was ok, but the explanation was quite simple and unimaginative. Also, the author repeats the same thing a lot, like introducing a Secret Service agent Zoe Galfano not one, but three times, using almost the same words! (Example below). Seriously, does the author think the readers are too stupid to retain new information or did he have a bad editor, or is he simply padding the book?
p.16 "and into the hands of a casually-dressed
Lucy Ette
Jul 09, 2013 Lucy Ette rated it it was ok
After reading some of Sam Bourne's other books and really enjoying them, I couldn't wait to start this one. However, I found it to be slow starting, with a focus on description of characters and their history rather than creating the suspense that the storyline really desired.

In the end I stopped reading it, partly because I had to return it to the library but I also couldn't make myself read any more of it. What I loved about his other books, 'The Final Reckoning' for example was that the stor
Wan Ni
Aug 06, 2011 Wan Ni rated it it was ok
Run of the mill thriller predicating on a conspiracy of the rise to grace of the American president. Not at all surprising, and filled with Mary Sue characters.
Nameeta Rao
Mar 01, 2017 Nameeta Rao rated it liked it
This is a 3.5 star thriller.
The story is very fast paced and towards the end its hard to keep the book down. In the beginning one is left wondering if this is all just a big cover up by the President. Maggie tasked with discovering the truth finds her self in too deep before she realises it. The plot unravels nicely and the ending ties up the whole story.
These sort of political thrillers always make me wonder if there is really so much intrigue and scandal surrounding the White House. (Obama sa
Senthamilselvan Thirunavukkarasu
I have read in a blog that Sam Bourne’s writing are like Dan brown’s. Though the writing was not up to the expectation, he did his part. This story revolves around the conspiracies to remove the newly elected president from his office. The person who claimed to expose the dark sides of the president is mysteriously dead, the reason stated as suicide. But in order to find out the truths, the president sends his most trustable office staff, the protagonist, an Irish Maggie Costello. Having already ...more
Merril Anil
Apr 10, 2014 Merril Anil rated it liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
It’s a Sam Bourne with less charm

The book made me realize why I love Sam Bourne as an author and why I can go for his works blindly at any given day. The book has a good plot and the usual research and intrigue of a Sam Bourne novel but even though not disappointing, I would not say it is his best work.

The Book has the characters of his previous novel, The Last testament being continued on and though it does not hamper your experience as a first time reader, reading the last testament (which i
Rohit Jangid
Well to start with it wasn't a chosen book rather one that fumbled into my lap .I saw this collection of four stories provided as a complement by Readers Digest and my fetish for hardbound books turned on and I jumped right on it.The Chosen one by Sam Bourne is definitely a thriller holding you from the first few pages and not letting off the rabbit till the final few pages.Since I read a 140 page version of it(sorry I didn't googled and thought this was a full version) ,the story came out as a ...more
Siddartha Thota
Jul 08, 2014 Siddartha Thota rated it it was amazing
I once had to do a course on the War and Peace in West Asia at college. Feeling intrigued about the conflict that no one seemed to find a solution, even I began to read more about it. It was then that I came across Sam Bourne's The Last Testament through some random internet searching (just like in his books). He instantly became one of my favourite writers. His stories contain everything that I love to read about.
This book is a little different from his previous offerings as the historical dra
Matt
Apr 24, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Bourne, this time taking us away from the biblical (or religious) happenings and delving right into the politics. How can a man who has become POTUS, the ever-successful underdog, make his way to the top? What happens when some guy starts spilling secrets that could derail a presidency not yet counted in triple digit days? Bourne touches on those and how there is always someone working 'behind the curtain', demanding that no one peer back to see.

While it took me longer
Ramla
Oct 10, 2012 Ramla rated it it was ok
To be honest this book has disappointed me. From the reviews on the cover I expected this book to have lot more than what it actually did.

Maggie Costello finds herself in life-threatening danger in trying to save the crumbling presidency of Stephan Baker the President of US she believes has the power to change the world.

In the starting the book is a real page-turner and you expect to be blown off your feet when the mystery finally unfolds but unfortunately that really does not happen. The crucia
Charlotte
Jun 27, 2015 Charlotte rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
After reading the prologue, I thought it was worth reading, unfortunately, the genre was totally not my type. Should have read the blurb on the back of the book more carefully. It's totally about politics, conspiracy and crime. Crime is something I read when the mood strikes.

The book cover claims that it's an easier read than Dan Brown's which I feel is an unfair comparison. Dan Brown's books have a lot of research done before being written and publish. This book was or rather felt that it was j
Henningw
Aug 13, 2010 Henningw rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. So much, that I was unable to put it down. Maggie Costello from "The last testament" played the main role in this one. This time the story is about a personal attack with a series of allegations being made on the US president. Maggies duty is to invetigate/uncover who is behind it all.The story is interesting right from the start and the intensity remains at a high level throughout the entire book. To be honest,the end seemed a bit far fetched, but the book is ...more
Eliana Celestino
O meu problema com esse livro foi a suspensão da descrença. Em todos os momentos eu pensava que aquela mulher não deveria conseguir fazer o que estava fazendo. Se ela, que não é nem jornalista e nem detetive, conseguiu desvendar todo o mistério, qualquer um conseguiria. Simples assim. E no contexto em que a história se passa (EUA) com certeza milhares de pessoas tentariam fazer o que ela fez.

Não consegui me relacionar com absolutamente nenhum dos personagens... Talvez só com o Uri, mas não tenho
Kirsten
Mar 08, 2010 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what kind of story this book was about when I started reading it. I knew I wanted to read this one because I did quite enjoy Bourne's previous books. It was nice to see Maggie Costello back, and the character of Stephen Baker was ... well, he was the all-american president-extraordinaire. You HAD to like him. Either way. It was a good read even if it appears that maybe, just maybe some of the potential in the story was not used. I dont know, this kind of conspiracy offers more... N ...more
Cksmith
Nov 04, 2013 Cksmith rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I admit the main reason I picked it up is because I am a Harry Potter fan and couldn't resist a book called the Chosen One however I knew it would be nothing like it. Maggie Costello is without a doubt my favourite main character who is female in any book/ movie I've ever read! It's well written, exciting and full of surprises. Because of this book, Sam Bourne is one of my favourite authors!
Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews
I finished this book in a week. It was rather engaging and interesting. Mind you, not the best book I've ever read, but it was entertaining. The character had some development and it was fast-paced. I also liked the ending. So if you are looking for an interesting story and are not terribly squeamish, this is a good book. Even if it wasn't that special for me.
Trine
Jul 08, 2014 Trine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boken var ok, men det var veeldig lenge om å faktisk komme igang... Og når det endelig kom til slutten, var det veeeldig kort oppsummert.. Kanskje hadde jeg for høye forhåpninger etter hans andre bøker - denne var ihvertfall ikke den beste!
Ashok
Jun 25, 2012 Ashok added it
I picked this one to try a new author, and found the begining to be slow. But then it picks pace and shuttles you between both Washingtons, - a City and the state, and was a good read. Guess I will try more of his books now.
Abhishek
Jan 01, 2011 Abhishek rated it really liked it
Fast paced intelligent drama with a crisp narrative, The Chosen One by Sam Bourne is one of the best books I've read in 2010. Highly recommended for people who like Dan Brown and Sidney Sheldon novels.
Rohini Didar
Jan 02, 2016 Rohini Didar rated it it was ok
the book was ok.. not great... the reason why bought the book was it was compared with Dan Brown's writing. May be because of that i did not like the book so much. The story was ok but it seemed very lengthy...
Charmaine
Jun 20, 2011 Charmaine rated it really liked it
This book makes you think whether it is fiction or fact.......it could very well be what happens in real life - especially in view of the recent economic happenings. Its a page turner - you have to know what's going to happen next. If you enjoy thrillers and suspense, then you should read this.
Miroslav Rakovic
Jul 28, 2016 Miroslav Rakovic rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1_star
„Born je majstor ove forme… uz savršenu kontrolu napetosti i pripovedačkog toka.“
Observer

Napetost? Mora da je kriticar citao neki drugi roman.
Braca Koen su snimili film "Burn After Reading", za ovu knjigu bih rekao Burn Before Reading.
Greer Andjanetta
Nov 14, 2013 Greer Andjanetta rated it it was amazing
A good story involving presidential politics and powerful hidden groups who control things from behind the scenes. Well written, this story holds the reader's interest from beginning to end - it does not use a long (usually boring) introduction before the story gets interesting.
Graham Armstrong
Jan 18, 2015 Graham Armstrong rated it really liked it
A good book, with a story that once you get into it is worth continuing to the end. There are enough plot twists to keep the story interesting without leaving you wondering what has actually happened. The ending is strong, and doesn't leave you feeling meh.
Jim
Jul 20, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
I like Sam Bourne's books, they do what it says on the tin. This one has Maggie Costello as hero again, in some implausible employment with the US government, and there's some great short chapter suspense stuff that kicks the crap out of Dan Brown for my money.
Mandy
Aug 05, 2016 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: sam-bourne
This is the first Sam Bourne book I've read and really enjoyed it. Read at a good pace and kept me interested to keep turning the pages to find out what happens. Will definitely look for more of his books.
Winnie
Mar 11, 2012 Winnie rated it really liked it
This is well written with good characterisation and reasonably fast paced. Only problem with sam bourne is that he is a working journalist and therefore not writing full time so you wait ages between books.
Joe Stamber
Feb 24, 2011 Joe Stamber rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2010
I bought this after mistakenly thinking that I had enjoyed a previous SB book more than I actually did. It's a moderately entertaining tale about a woman who is investigating a plot to bring down the newly elected president.
Kevin
Jul 20, 2012 Kevin rated it did not like it
Not the high concept blockbuster I was promised. Sam Bourne might be the biggest challenger to Dan Brown's crown but not with this novel. His other work, including The Righteous Men, exceed this by miles.
Gary Burt
May 07, 2012 Gary Burt rated it liked it
liked it
  • The Secret Crown (Payne & Jones, #6)
  • The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • Pyramid
  • The Sacred Blood
  • What Time Devours (Thomas Knight, #2)
Sam Bourne is the literary pseudonym of Jonathan Freedland, an award-winning British journalist and broadcaster. He has written a weekly column for The Guardian since 1997, having previously served as the paper's Washington correspondent. His work has also appeared in The New York Times, The New York Review of Books, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Newsweek, The New Republic, and The J ...more
More about Sam Bourne...