Start by marking “Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits” as Want to Read:
Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits

Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits

"Storey s Guide to Raising Rabbits" is as essential to the owner of pet rabbits as it is to the farmer raising rabbits for meat or fur. Breed selection, year-round care and feeding, safe housing, humane handling, and disease prevention and treatment are all addressed.This is the classic, comprehensive, essential reference for all rabbit raisers.
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 256 pages
Published October 28th 2009 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits

Shannon
Feb 28, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: farm-books
I'm used to a certain level of quality and information in Storey's books, and I feel like this one had slightly less than usual and made up for it in authorial opinions. I don't normally mind, but between that and the wildly-outdated communication methods recommended, I had to dock a couple stars. Still, it gave me plenty of things to think about and ideas for getting started, so I definitely still recommend it-- it's just not the be-all guidebook I thought it would be.
Jake
Jan 13, 2016 Jake rated it it was ok
This is a book full of good information on one method of raising rabbits. Unfortunately, the author is very opinionated, and close minded against any method besides his. His description of diseases, prevention, and treatment comprise only a few pages, and all boil down to cleanliness - which is important, yes. But a reference for when things go wrong is much more useful.
To any rabbit raisers, I'd recommend the Rabbit Raising Problem Solver by Karen Patry.
JC
May 03, 2017 JC rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
Lots of good info. Looking forward to the day when I can raise rabbits.
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
Well... This book did inspire thought in some areas, but others left more to be desired. A great book on things like butchering and breeding, but not so good on illnesses and how to care for sick or struggling rabbits. The author is highly opinionated, and thinks his way is the only way, but I've come to find out from the different rabbit people in my area, there are many different ways to care for a rabbit, and sometimes there is no "best way."
Fernleaf
Dec 06, 2012 Fernleaf rated it really liked it
A great overview of raising rabbits, very focused on rabbits that actually turn a profit. The author doesn't disparage people who want rabbits as pets but his book is definitely focused on rabbits as a productive animal to supply meat, test subjects or breeding stock to a potential market and much of his advice is geared toward this. His advice is also a little rigid, wire cages and pelleted feed no exceptions. While I'm sure his advice is sound because of his long years of experience the scient ...more
michelle yates
For rabbit farmers

I was quite disappointed in this book. This book is for those who are using their rabbits for enterprise, not for people who want to keep rabbits for pets or companions. The first chapter talks about how your rabbit doesn't need to be let out of its cage. Its perfectly happy to stay locked up in a cramped cage because it doesn't know any better. Really?! Good info as far as husbandry, butchering, breeding etc. But does not teach you how to enrich a bunnies life.
Greg
Nov 17, 2014 Greg rated it it was ok
I'll give it two stars, because Bennett writes what you would expect him to, but not what you were hoping for. I think this book was published before we all started getting pissed off about factory farms, but the heavy regimen of daily antibiotics he prescribes might make anyone look twice. I'll keep searching for a more progressive approach to the topic.
paul
Jun 12, 2015 paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Far from organic

Very informative but my man is far from organic and should brush up on the definition of humane. Also he's riding food science's nuts! All in all I got a lot for this book
Heather
Mar 12, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in raising rabbits, this is the book that you want to invest in. I go to it for all of my rabbit related questions as it provides the best information about keeping your rabbits happy and healthy.
Abigail Lee
Aug 28, 2016 Abigail Lee rated it really liked it
This book is a really great book for beginner rabbit breeders (like me.) I covers everything from if rabbits are a good choice for you to the housing to the breeding to the showing (and the butchering part but I skipped that
Julia DeBarrioz
Aug 01, 2014 Julia DeBarrioz rated it liked it
Very informative, chock full of useful information, yet in all his enthusiasm Mr. Bennett somehow comes across as cold towards the creatures themselves.
Keith Herlihy
Mar 27, 2014 Keith Herlihy rated it really liked it
Everything you need to know about breeding rabbits, geared more towards meat
Rebecca Blankenship
Jan 02, 2013 Rebecca Blankenship rated it it was amazing

I am very interested in raising rabbits for wool and meat. This book is great as it talks about everything you might ask as you consider keeping rabbits for any reason and on any scale.
Count Orloff
Dec 14, 2016 Count Orloff rated it it was ok
I read it all the way through, and would not recomend.
PWRL
Nov 20, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Madelyn Maryeski
Madelyn Maryeski rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2017
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
May 31, 2017
Randy Graham
Randy Graham rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Kirk Marschel
Kirk Marschel rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Wasatch Wife
Wasatch Wife rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
August
August rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2012
Ashlei
Ashlei rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Diana Gylling
Diana Gylling rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Cynthia Skelton
Cynthia Skelton rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Kitty
Kitty rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Rich
Rich rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
TJ Sherwin
TJ Sherwin rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs: Care/Facilities/Management/Breed Selection
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, 4th Edition: Breeds, Care, Dairying, Marketing
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks: Breeds, Care, Health
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep: Breeds, Care, Facilities
  • Home Dairy with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Cheese, Yogurt, Butter & More
  • The Backyard Berry Book: A Hands-On Guide to Growing Berries, Brambles, and Vine Fruit in the Home Garden
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books (Paperback))
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • The Soap Maker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques and Know-how (Natural Body Series - The Natural Way to Enhance Your Life)
  • Pastured Poultry Profits
  • Homesteading: A Backyard Guide to Growing Your Own Food, Canning, Keeping Chickens, Generating Your Own Energy, Crafting, Herbal Medicine, and More