Start by marking “Plaster and Poison (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Plaster and Poison (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #3)

Plaster and Poison (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,033 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Home renovation and design tips included!
Published March 2nd 2010 by Berkley Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Plaster and Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plaster and Poison

Avery and her partner Derek are redoing a carriage house as a getaway for Kate, who runs the local bed and breakfast, and who is about to marry police chief Wayne. When Avery and Derek find a dead body in the house, and the corpse turns out to be the father of Kate's college age daughter, the job hits a snag. Wayne can't investigate, so the state troopers are called in. Avery's mother and stepfather are visiting from California, and Derek's stepsister Beatrice leaves her husband in Boston and mo ...more
Heather Adkins
Another great cozy from Jennie. I think what I really enjoy about this series is that Avery, the heroine, remains the same but the books don't seem to echo one another. Each is a new adventure, no repetitive cliches or phrases, no feeling like the heroine isn't naturally maturing and progressing. I hope that Jennie is planning on a fourth because I'm looking forward to Avery's next adventure.
Clare O'Beara
I first read Spackled and Spooked which I found very enjoyable and a cut above the rest. Sadly with this book I felt it slumped in the middle.

What slows it down is that the building restorer couple who are the main characters are working on a coach house, and find two carved pairs of initials on a post. They look into the old names associated with the building and start retracing family trees, navy records, newspaper accounts and so on. All this is completely beside the point that somebody has
Alycia Harris
I found Bentley's series through Goodreads. It was a recommendation based on my other selections. The series seemed like good clean fun and so far it has not disappointed. Of course, the characters face lots of murder and mayhem, so "fun" might not be how Avery (the lead character) would describe it.

I heard someone once joke that Jessica Fletcher from Murder She Wrote must be the one doing all of the killings. No one person comes across that many dead bodies. It seems that Bentley has also had t
Catherine Farmer
I wanted to like this book; enjoy cozy mysteries. Just couldn't bear to read it.

The author either doesn't know much about remodeling buildings, or assumes her readers don't. Derek, working alone, manages to do demolition, replace a roof, wire, plumb and install new framing, in a matter of days. This is very unlikely; I've worked with top contractors for thirty years.

The heroine is vapid and shallow, though pretends not to be. The line that got me to put the book down, was, "too much junk in the
Avery Baker and her boyfriend Derek Ellis are more than happy to renovate an old carriage house behind the Bed and Breakfast their friend Kate McGillicutty owns so Kate and police chief Wayne Rasmussen can live there after their marriage. Avery even finds a mini-mystery to solve – someone carved a heart and the initials WE + ER on a wooden post in the carriage house and Avery wants to find out the story behind the carving. Unfortunately, Avery soon has a bigger mystery to solve when she and Dere ...more
Susan Ferguson
Avery and Derek are still waiting on the last house they remodeled to sell when Kate asks them to turn the carriage house behind her bed and breakfast into a place where she and Wayne can live after they're married. Avery envisions the carriage house as a romantic, peaceful retreat away from business. So she and Kate do a lot of planning and picking colors and such while Derek is putting in the insulation, wiring, plumbing, walls, etc. They have put in the loft master bedroom and bath when they ...more
From the cover: Ex-New York designer Avery Baker left the bustle of the big city to start her own home renovation business in Maine. But as she renovates an old carriage house on behalf of a soon-to-be wed friend, she stumbles across a lifeless body-a person known all too well by the blushing bride. The small town is abuzz with big suspicions, and Avery realizes she must unravel a matrimonial murder.

I enjoyed the first book in this series. This book was ok. I did not like that so much time was
Laura Brown
This is the first I have read by this author. I liked it, but felt sometimes like the clues planted were too obvious. I would say to myself, "ok, so I'll bet that noise is Beatrice" Well, it took another 1/3 of the book for the characters to have the same realization. But, I enjoyed the small town Maine locale Which it reminds me that all small towns, from Scotland to Georgia, are brimming with character! I'd like to read another book in the series before I decide much else.
Marilyn Slusher
I do love this series. This is book three and just as the first two - this tale keeps you on your toes. Avery and Derek are renovating Kate's carriage house - a place for Kate and Wayne to live once they are married. This renovation does come with its problems - like the discovery of Kate's ex (boyfriend) body. Tie in mysterious initials carved in to beams plus a missing stepsister - you have a real humdinger of a mystery.
Avery and Derek have started a new renovation project turning Kate's carriage house into a romantic getaway apartment for Kate and Wayne to live in after their wedding. Everything is going fabulously well until they discover the dead body of Kate's no-good ex (Shannon's father) laid out in the bedroom upstairs. If that weren't bad enough, Derek's stepsister vanishes, leaving her car and her cell phone at the office where she's been doing bookkeeping while she waits for her husband to realize she ...more
I like this series because it involves so many different things, we have home restorers, cops, B&B owners and all their accompanying families.

In this book a body is left in the carriage house of the B&B, which is being restored by Avery and Derek for Kate and soon to be husband Wayne so they can live there instead of inside the B&B.

The body turns out to be the father of Kate's daughter Shannon thus making Kate, Shannon and Wayne (a cop) instant suspects, as well as Avery and Derek si
I really enjoyed the first book in this series. I haven't been able to find the second book so jumped in with this third in the series. A nice read, not quite as exciting as the first but the heroines creepy cousins get theirs finally.
I wished that I could read the second book in the series but the library sent me this one first. And away I read. This seems to be another interesting series. Also they give you information on a remodeling job.
I think these books get better and better as the series goes on. I was really surprised when I heard who had committed the murder, which is a great plus in any mystery.
Courtney Hohimer
Another fun installment of Avery and Derek's adventures. A quick and easy read with plenty of parts to make you smile.
Shirley Worley
I really do like this series, although Plaster and Poison was my least favorite. I love the cast of characters and enjoyed meeting Avery and Derek's families. Avery is still quite insecure in her relationship with Derek and it doesn't seem that they have grown much as a couple since the last book. The plot was intriguing, however I got bogged down a bit toward the middle of the book. I think it might have been the sideline story when Avery tried to track the ancestral history of the carriage hou ...more
The 3rd book in the do-it-yourself fixing up series. This time Avery and her boyfriend Derek are remodeling an old carriage house at their friend Kate's B&B Inn. Kate and the chief of police are getting married and rather than live in the B&B they decide living in the carriage house would make more sense since the police chief often has to go out on night calls. There is of course a dead body in the story and his murder must be solved before the wedding on New Year's Eve. Can Avery and D ...more
Jennie Bentley has done a very good job with this series and I have enjoyed all of them.
this was the first book I read of Jennie Bentley. The story line was interesting. I will read more of her books
Really enjoying this series. But I have one complaint with this book in particular. I feel like subtle hints are presented and then pointed out just in case I wasn't smart enough to catch on. That takes away from the joy of figuring out the mystery. I did like that there were two mystery story lines going on through out the book. And good to see that Avery has a little more common sense this time around. But Avery, stop harping on Derrik about Melissa... you're going to drive him away.
Add together In-laws, newlyweds to be, gold digging relatives and you get murder.

Author Jennie Bentley once again mixes home repair and murder in the third book in her the “Home-Renovation and Design Tips” mystery series. Designer Avery Baker and home renovator Derek Ellis find surprises as they work to transform an old carriage house into a romantic home for soon-to-be newlywed friends, that is, if murder doesn’t bring everything to a screeching halt first.
Jul 29, 2013 M.E. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy/traditional mystery fans
This is the third book in the DIY series, and I have to say - they keep getting better. As a rule of thumb, I'm not a big cozy fan, but Bentley has created some very engaging characters who I enjoy spending time with, which is always a key ingredient in a good series. PLASTER & POISON has more layers and twists that the first two books, making it a more than worthy follow-up to books 1 & 2. And watching the relationship between Avery and Derek develop is fun too!
This is a pretty good book but it's starting to veer into the category of random people investigating murders that they are not involved in. There were several times she was "investigating" that seemed really pushy and/or none of her business. Also, she looks up several people (in her small town) online, finds out their hidden secrets and then broadcasts it all over town! I'll give it one more chance but I may be done with this series.
This was a very entertaining addition to this series. It introduced us to Avery's mother and stepfather, and fleshed out Derek's family. It explained Kate and Shannon's history/background and provided a sufficiently mysterious mystery. Up to the actual reveal, I was still thinking it couldn't be that person. Not enough interaction with Inky and Jemmie, but that may just be me, a confirmed cat lady. lol
This was a pretty good read! I've been reading this series in order, and enjoyed the wider cast of characters in Plaster and Poison. I do wish the main female character, Avery, would tone down the jealousy over her beau's ex-wife, though.
I loved the speed of the story and the not-so-monotoneous changes of the setting. Avery is developing, she's still the Tink, all right, but she seems to have a more mind of her own. And Derek is the person I would like to know more of - he still seems too good to be truth. On the whole, great, action-packed story. I loved it from the first page to the last one.
Another interesting installment in Avery and Derek's story.
Karen Desmond
Went straight into this 3rd in the series from the previous book and enjoyed the slight change of setting. Instead of flipping a property (or attempting to) Avery & Derek are renovating the home of a friend - which leads to the usual dead body. The introduction of a unrelated historical mystery made a interesting storyline.

• Chapter and Hearse (A Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
  • Driven to Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
  • Sleeping With Anemone (A Flower Shop Mystery, #9)
  • The Busy Woman's Guide to Murder (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #5)
  • If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery, #2)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • Murder on the Eightfold Path (Mantra for Murder, #3)
  • The Cat, the Vagabond and the Victim (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #6)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)

A Do-It-Yourself Mystery (7 books)
  • Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1)
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4)
  • Flipped Out (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #5)
  • Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)
  • Home for the Homicide (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #7)
Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1) Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2) Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4) Flipped Out (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #5) Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)