Start by marking “Poisoned Love” as Want to Read:
Poisoned Love

Poisoned Love

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Case seen on Inside Edition, Good Morning America, and 48 Hours Accident, Suicide. . . Or Murder?

On November 6, 2000, paramedics answered a call to find Kristin Rossum, 24, sobbing. Her husband, Greg de Villers, wasn't breathing and she claimed he had overdosed on drugs after learning she was leaving him. But family and friends who knew of Greg's distaste for drugs weren't
Published January 1st 2010 by Pinnacle Books (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Poisoned Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poisoned Love

Molly
So, my mom and I are totally addicted to the true crime shows like Snapped and Disappeared and all those shows like that. On top of watching the shows, we totally love reading the true crime books. Caitlin Rother is one of the most talented in writing a true crime book that is absolutely addictive. My mom and I had this one read in less than two days and we LOVED it. Rother penned the events, the trial, the murder, the people all perfectly and really held us captive til the end.

Seeing this story
Lori
Fans of the true crime genre will rejoice with another entry to add to their library, Poisoned Love by Caitlin Rother. In the style of Ann Rule, a true crime favorite of mine, Ms. Rother delves deep into the background and psyche of not only the accused but the victims as well and provides painstaking detail of the crime, the trial and the aftermath.

Reading Poisoned Love will make it clear to the reader that Ms. Rother spent an inordinate amount of time on her research and with admirable result
Krystal
Looking for a crime book? Maybe you want a book that contains mystery, crime fiction, and suspense? This book is perfect for you. The author skillfully tells the tale of an "American Beauty" who had a great life and proceeded to lose that life on the basis of a ridiculous choice.

Kristin Rossum is exactly as described on the back cover of this book. She is the typical California "Golden Girl." She did not want for much of anything, she was pretty and intelligent as well. When she married Greg de
SenoraG
As I always say, I don't like to tear a book down, just because I did not like it means nothing and I don't like swaying anyone else. That being said, short and sweet here.........

I love True Crime, I did not love this book. It started out well then just flopped about 100 pages in. I found the author very repetitive in her writing, retelling details again and again. It took me weeks to get through this. I finally wound up skipping towards the end just to see what the verdict was.
Anagha
Dec 17, 2011 Anagha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults; Fans of true crime and Ann Rule
Shelves: posted
Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com/2011/1...

Review: My 5-word description: Suspenseful but not well executed

Plot: One should keep in mind while reading this book that it is a true crime novel and thus everything recounted in it has actually happened. I though that this book had a marvelous plot, especially with the nonfiction aspect, and both the investigation and court case were authentic and well-written.

Characters: The protagonists were fairly likable. You can’t feel
Stephanie
Yes I bought it but I only paid 50 cents for it...this is another telling of the story in "Deadly American Beauty" of Kristin Rossum, the toxicologist in San Diego who murdered her husband...complete with rose petals, stupidity, a boyfriend who I am sure was in on it (her boss, also a toxicologist) and who subsequently went to Australia or New Zealand and basically got away with murder.

Interesting, and this version, told by the writer for the SD newspaper who covered the whole thing, includes qu
Donna Siebold
Kristin Rossum and Greg de Villers weren't married very long when Greg "apparently" committed suicide. But, things began to seem off pretty quickly. Turns out Kristin was unhappy in the marriage, her former drug addiction had reared its ugly head again and rather than divorce Greg, she chose to murder him.

She worked in a toxicology lab and likely thought her experience in that area would help her hide her crime. It might have if she hadn't been so strung out on drugs that she made a mess of eve
Heather
And so my husband is safe for another day...
Doris Jean
Jan 10, 2014 Doris Jean rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, there are too many grammar errors which make it too much work to understand.
Shelves: true-crime
This was a great crime story, at the end I still have no opinion of her actual part in the crime. The "heroine", Kristin Rossum, reminded me of Casey Anthony, a woman who had ambitious, strong, over-protecting parents who literally formed the worst character in their daughter, in my opinion. Kristin could have done the entire crime by herself, she was capable of the worst evil, in my opinion.
The author was in desperate need of an editor. The book was bumpy to read because there were grammatica
Lisa
The story is interesting, for I love true crime stories. This tale reels you in, it's shocking and an interesting read, however, the book is poorly written. A first grade reading level for such a gruesome story.
Kristen Doherty
Aug 25, 2008 Kristen Doherty rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime readers
Kristin was a smart and beauitful women addicted to meth, cheated on her husband, and eventually kills him with poison.
Heavensent1
Dec 14, 2011 Heavensent1 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heavensent1 by: ARC
Poisoned Love is a True Crime Mystery.

Kristin Rossum was the All-American girl, coming from a wealthy family who coddled her every need, popular in school, pretty, charming, to name just a few of the characteristics associated with her early years. She was a go-getter, an over-achiever in all aspects of her life, from her academics to ballet, Kristin had to excel in everything she did or she would feel like a failure.

On the day that Kristin tears the muscle ligaments in her leg, her dreams of be
Kathleen Kelly
This chilling account of Kristin Rossum and the murder of her husband Greg
de Villers is a fast paced, very well researched book. This is a true account involving the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office, the Rossum and the de Villers families. The book also displays the human emotions and heartbreak of the families and friends on both sides. I was especially impressed when I read in the back of the book the countless hours spent by the author researching this case so she could tell a true
Jael
I must have missed the Snapped episode on Kristin Rossum. Whenever Oxygen airs a marathon, I'm right there. So it was quite easy for me to get sucked into Poisoned Love by Caitlin Rother.

The book opens with the death of Kristin Rossum's husband Greg de Villers. Before Rother even delves into the details of his death, I was suspicious of Kristin's "story." She alleges Greg must of have committed suicide. He was also covered in roses. Which sounded very strange. What guy is going to kill himself
Lynda Kelly
This went on a bit for me-was a little too long-winded but it was thorough !! I only spotted a couple of apostrophe mistakes too so that was good.
It's a true story of Kristin Rossum who was prosecuted for killing her husband Greg. What struck me most about this case was the way she behaved as though all the police and investigators were fools. The same with her parents, especially her mother. She was keen to blame anyone but her precious daughter for any of her transgressions all her life....lik
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Having never heard of this case I found it to be very interesting. Especially because it takes place so close to home. It was a very twisted story of love, betrayal, passion & murder.

Drug addiction will make people do twisted things. This woman was a smart, well educated woman that had a career at the Medical Examiner's Office as a Toxicologist. She gave it all up when she began to have an affair with her boss who also worked at the Medical Examiner's Office. She had a serious meth addictio
Kari
Even though I am not a big fan of non-fiction, I have always been a reader of true crime novels. Poisoned Love explores the life of Kristin Rossum and the murder of her husband Greg. A murder that she tried to make look like a suicide. Ms. Rother provides an in-depth look into Kristin's past and her affair with her boss, Michael. I found the events leading up to her arrest and eventual conviction very interesting. Originally published in 2006, this newer version provides updates into what has be ...more
Denise
Kept me engrossed the whole way. I lived not too far away during the period this drama took place but I had heard nothing about it (no TV, no newspapers). The reporting/writing was unbiased as I think a true crime book should be. I came away talking to people about narcissists who manipulate people to get their way and to get attention. I think Kristin Rossum is one such person. The book covered the events in Kristin's life leading up to the murder of her husband, the aftermath, and the trial. I ...more
Jackie
I will never understand why Kristin Rossum -- a smart, young, pretty toxicologist who seemed to have it all -- poisoned her husband rather than divorcing him. As I read the book, I wanted to reach the conclusion that she didn't do it, but the evidence turned out to be pretty overwhelming. Rossum had a fascination with roses and even covered her husband's body with rose petals -- I loved the Steve Breen cartoon that was published in the San Diego Union-Tribune's editorial pages after she was conv ...more
Theresa
True murder

Throughout this whole book I could never figure out why she didn't just leave him. He would have gotten over it and he would still be alive.Her actions destroyed a lot of lives.
April Colone
Nov 07, 2008 Eva Leger rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime readers
Recommended to Eva by: myself
Shelves: b-true-crime
I wish I could remember enough from this to give details but it's been a lot of years since I've read this. With me having read so many true crime books I usually can remember a book I don't like more then one I did like and this is definitely one worth reading if you're into true crime.
Marianne Stehr
This is a good book that tells a true story without getting too technical in the court room part (which I find many true crimes to do). It was interesting even if you knew the story and the outcome. Still some unanswered questions.
Elizabeth
This book caught my attention from the begining and never let it go. The idea that some like Kristin Rossum could have access to the drugs that allowed her to carry out her plan amazes me. This book is well researched and worth the read.
Debbie
snoozefest!!!!! was expecting much more from this book as it had great reviews but for me it didnt keep me turning the pages at all.....so many true crime books that are soooooo much better than this :(
Stacey
I tend to like true crime but I found this book painfully boring at parts. The author included incredible detail that did not add to the story. I found myself scanning just to get through it.
Christina
This was a very good read. Caitlin Rother is right up there with Ann Rule when it comes to writing good true crime books. I plan to read all of her books.
Diana Holt
It was a page Turner. I couldn't really wrap my head around the fact that Ms rossum was guilty? Though evidence proves she is?? Otherwise, good book.
  • Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder
  • One Deadly Night
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Tacoma Confidential: A True Story of Murder, Suicide, and a Police Chief's Secret Life
  • Love Her To Death
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
  • Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: The Uncensored Story of the JonBenet Murder and the Grand Jury's Search for the Truth
  • I Would Find a Girl Walking
  • A Beautiful Child
  • Gone Forever
  • In Broad Daylight
  • To the Last Breath
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
Caitlin Rother, a Pulitzer Prize nominee, worked as an investigative reporter at daily newspapers for nineteen years before deciding to write books full-time. Her work has been published in Cosmopolitan, the Los Angeles Times, The San Diego Union-Tribune, the Chicago Tribune, The Washington Post, The Boston Globe and The Daily Beast. She has appeared as a crime expert on E! Entertainment, the Oxyg ...more
More about Caitlin Rother...
Lost Girls Twisted Triangle: A Famous Crime Writer, a Lesbian Love Affair, and the FBI Husband's Violent Revenge Dead Reckoning I'll Take Care of You Body Parts