Start by marking “Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)” as Want to Read:
Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)

Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  16,736 ratings  ·  1,407 reviews
The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found. Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her
Published February 15th 2011 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Desires of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desires of the Dead

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
26th out of 1,278 books — 6,831 voters
Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
25th out of 638 books — 4,266 voters

More lists with this book...

Stacia (the 2010 club)
Romance and Murder - two great things that go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Okay, so maybe these two things shouldn't really go together. But it sure makes for the kind of story that I would want to read.

Three point triple six stars. You do the mental math. I'm sort of freaked out to actually type the number. Yes, I am that chicken.

For those who aren't aware of what this series is about, it revolves around a girl named Violet who can sense dead bodies and the people who are respon
Kelly Marbury
When I first read The Body Finder I was struck with the feeling I had found something special, complete with the a great plot, heartwarming romance, suspense, and character development. So when I heard there would be a sequel I found myself counting the days until the release. Then (finally) I read Desires of the Dead and I must say I feel a little let down.

I stayed up all night reading The Body Finder because as much as I wanted to put it down and get some rest for work in the morning, it woul
Kimberly Derting
Jun 17, 2011 Kimberly Derting rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Why had I not rated this before? Of course I give it 5-stars ;)
Bonnie
Me: So, Violet, congrats on not getting killed and all by that serial killer in your first big adventure.

Violet: I’m just so happy Jay was there. I was soooo scared when I thought he was dead. I mean, what would life be without him?

Me: Yeah, I guess that would’ve been bad. Anyway, you learned something from that experience, right? Like…to not wander off by yourself? In the dark? Where dead bodies are?

Violet: You sound just like Jay. This is why I don’t tell him things. And then he gets mad at me
~Tina~
(4.5 Stars)

Desires of the Dead starts off soon after the first book, and all seems to be right in the world for Violet and her best friend-turned boyfriend, Jay. That is till Violet's ability to sense the echo's of death begin to call again. This time it brings Violet to a little boy trapped in a cargo hold and soon enough the FBI start getting involved, which is only the beginning of Violets problems.

Written just like the first book we get the pov's in both Violet, and this time instead of the
Asenath
What. The. Heck. This book was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO disappointing! I loved The Body Finder, so I was really looking forward to this one. The Body Finder had an excellent plot, good characterization, awesome twists and was so suspenseful that I literally could not put it down. But this one was hard for me to finish.

Things I liked:
-The plot wasn't exactly the same as the first book, and could have been good.
-The addition of Sara and Rafe. I want to learn more about Rafe, and would be interested in
AH
2.5 - 3 stars

Desires of the Dead is the second book in Kimberly Derting’s Body Finder series. The premise of this series is quite original. The main character Violet has a special ability: She can hear, smell, or see echoes of the dead. The dead – both human and animals – call to her. A matching echo can be found on the murderer. Oftentimes Violet will find dead animals, but there have been occasions where she finds human remains.

This book takes place three months after the events of the first
Danielle Ellison
This was an amazing sequel. It was what I hoped it would be--complete with the awesomeness that is the Jay and Violet love story. It was filled with new characters, new scenarios, new drama, new challenges. If you liked TBF then you will not be disappointed!
Anne
Jul 03, 2010 Anne marked it as to-read
I am so excited to read this book!! :D
Paradoxical
Argh. It was like in the span between the first book and this one, Violet has gotten ten times more melodramatic. It's so irritating seeing a character backslide like that. She's jealous of the time Jay is spending without her, she doesn't talk to her family or Jay about her problems (even though they have known for years about her ability to sense the dead), and I spend a good portion of the time wanting to slap some more sense into her. It was like the author took her main character and forced ...more
Lena ♫ ♪
Holy cow! Desires of the Dead is one of the best sequels I've read in a really long time. I forgot how amazing Kimberly's writing is. I'm literally at a lost for words.

Wow. Just...wow!

What I love about Desires of the Dead is how Kimberly write's from Violet's point of view, but switches every now and then to "the bad guy's" POV. This is what originally hooked me on The Body Finder. It's dark, it's twisted, it's made of win!

Violet and Jay's relationship begins to develope into something hotter,
Krys

Well, I'm on a roll. This is the third book in a row that I have read this week in a matter of days. I'm very pleased by this. Completely.

To that end, I read Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting. This is the sequel to this year's The Body Finder. Wow. Derting does it again. These books make me so happy, and desperate for a sequel. Which means I now have to wait until Spring(ish?) 2012. Whinge!!!

Anywho, intelligent review. Yes! Yes, I can do that.

Violet and Jay have developed their romance. As
Nic
The second book in the Body Finder series. Again another great read from Derting, although I didn't quite love it as much as the first book. It took me a bit longer to get into it but once I did I was hooked. The plot is intriguing and I love the way that Derting is setting up this series adding in some new elements. It certainly has got me excited for the next book. Jay and Violet were gorgeous as usual. I LOVE their romance. Sweet yet full of passion and heart. Definitely worth a read!
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Desires of the Dead starts off a few months after The Body Finder. Everything seems to have pretty much returned to normal for Violet after the incident during the Homecoming dance. Things change, though, when she discovers the body of a young boy stashed in a cargo ship container in Seattle. Violet is later contacted by the FBI, who want to know exactly how she managed to locate the body. This is when Violet's problems begin.

It's hard not to co
Heather
I am having a hard time writing a review for this novel. It was every bit as good as The Bodyfinder. All the same characters were there, but the focus was more on the kids this time than the parents. Chelsea had more "face time" so we got to learn more about her. Jay and Violet's relationship continued with some major hiccups. I'd say Jay showed some character growth, showing some more vulnerability where it comes to Violet, and maturity at not forcing things out of her before she's ready to tal ...more
Daisy Chain Books
Love, love, love, love, love, love, love! Sigh! How long until my next Jay fix? Totally smitten!

Ahem....

Review:

Oh, how I swooned over The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. That book grabbed me right from the first page, and made me fall completely and utterly in total book love. Then there was Jay, who I also fell completely and utterly in love with. Oh, swoon! If you are a regular reader of this blog, or if you follow me on twitter, you will know that I literally never stop talking about Jay Hea
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
So here I am again with a short and sweet review. Violet and Jay are only continuing their journey from book one, and there's no need to write a long, drawn out review about their undying love for one another and Violet's ability to 'sense' the unsettled dead that call to her.

More than anything, this book was based around the growth of Jay and Violet's relationship-the trust that is earned and given between a new couple. But Jay and Violet have been best friends since they were young, so the tr
Milly
*ARC Review (amazing enough, I didn't find any typos)

I have always admired Kimberly Derting's writing. Body Finder was beautifully written and the beginnings of Desires of the Dead was just as beautiful. The setting of the book takes place again in a small town in Washington but the book starts off in Seattle when Violet takes a trip with her friend. The way Derting described Seattle deliciously beautiful makes me miss Seattle and reminisce of my vacation trip one summer. Starting out Desires of
Sophie Jordan
Wow - as good as the first! Better!! Hope the series never ends. Love the direction it's going.
Debbie
If you read my review of The Body Finder then you know I loved that and was so excited when I was able to get my hands on the second book in this series. While you are pretty much able to predict what happens in this sequel it was still a wonderful book that I could not put down. Violet is pulled into another mystery as she tries to figure out who is stalking her and leaving her ominous messages while also trying to adjust to going from best friends with Jay to boyfriend/girlfriend with him.

The
Tammie
2 1/2 stars. Not as good as The Body Finder. There were a couple of edge of your seat moments, but most of the time I felt like Violet was an idiot. She suddenly feels as though she can't talk to anyone and starts hiding everything, and the reasoning behind it is just flimsy to me. Truth be told, The Body Finder was a great stand alone book and I sort of wished it had stayed that way. I thought the romance between Violet and Jay in the Body Finder was sweet, the way they realized that they felt ...more
Nick

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog

I read The Body Finder some time back and I enjoyed the book. Because of that, I was very excited to jump into the second book, Desires Of The Dead. However, I felt like the book didn't really satisfy as a sequel and I ended up being disappointed.

Violet is still recovering from the murder cases that she dealt with last year when she comes across yet another body of a young boy who was kidnapped some time back. In doing so, she attracts the attention of
Lauren
Desires of the Dead
2 Stars

Synopsis
Violet Ambrose has always kept her ability to sense the echoes of the dead a secret but after finding the body of a dead boy, she has drawn the attention of the FBI. Unfortunately, she also finds herself the target of a disturbed stalker and has no one to turn to, not even her closest friend turned boyfriend, Jay Heaton who is preoccupied with he newest pal, Mike, whose family seems to have secrets of its own.

Review
The paranormal thriller premise has potential
Erin
Aug 16, 2011 Erin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of The Body Finder
2.5 stars.

So, just to be clear, I gave this 2 (and a half) stars in true Goodreads fashion-- it's not that I didn't like it; I thought it was okay. I definitely enjoyed it more than its predecessor, The Body Finder. For one thing, Jay's kisses were only described as "possessive" once or twice. A step in the right direction!

I truly don't have much to say about this book. It was a decent way to pass the hours. It alternated between bland and engrossing. It may have been one of the most predictable
Tess
I remember reading The Body Finder and loving it, especially the budding romance between Violet and her childhood friend Jay, which was truly sweet. And so, when this sequel hit the shelves, I knew I wanted to continue their story.

Hence, here I am a few chapters in. Violet and Jay are now a couple, and as much in love as before. But troubles are closing in, and it comes from various directions.

Firstly, there are two new kids in school, Mike and his sister, and Jay has started to spend far too mu
Princess Bookie

My Thoughts: Once again we are back with Violet and her hectic abilities. Remember, from The Body Finder we found out she can hear echoes from dead people, the ones who died; murdered. It isn't just people she can hear, she can also hear animals. She can also sense the people who committed the crime since the imprint attaches to them. Creepy? Yes! Useful? Sometimes! Violet is trying to adjust to life just being herself and spending time with Jay. She was always so used to having him as her best
Leah  (Simply Nerdy Book Reviews)
I loved loved loved this book! Just as with its predecessor, Desires of the Dead is stunning on all counts. It's romantic, mysterious, suspenseful, funny, and very creative. Kimberly Derting'swriting is so fantastic, and her characters all so three-dimensional with such different and pronounced personalties that they, the plot, and the books themselves are so completely unforgettable.

Violet comes off just as strong as before, and her eerie ability becomes even more eerie in this novel, when it b
Mishma Nixon
Taking Desires of the Dead up and deciding to read it was a miracle if you ask me.Not because I hated the first book or something,in fact I love The Body Finder.But because I have this nasty habit of abandoning the series after the first book even if I loved it a lot.I only continue a few series rarely.

The first reason I started to read this book is the title.Come on,a book named Desires of the Dead is bound to grab one's attention.The next thing was the cover.Even though they are really simple,
Jonababez
Done with the book! lol. I loved it! It deals more about family dramas, not Violet's family though, but rather the killer's family. It is also about her exposure to the FBI and the discovery of her ability and using it to help them. I think it's not as intense as the first book, but it's still good, I like the fact that Derting ventures to different types of murders. I like her writing style and for making us confuse sometimes. I also like the killer's point of view with the use of the 7 deadly ...more
Lincy Cybelle
I hate to say it, but I was frustrated with this second Body Finder story. Not because Kim Derting isn't a fine writer. Wow, she is. I love her style, and will definitely read the next book despite being out of sorts with this one. But Violet, the heroine, frustrated me so much in DooD that I found myself putting it down now and then and reading other things. Unfortunately, I felt Violet committed that heroine sin of acting TSTL a few times too often, being unwilling to let anyone know when she ...more
Desires of the Dead ! To read or not to read! 9 20 Jun 06, 2014 11:41AM
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)
  • Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2)
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • Wildcat Fireflies (Fenestra, #2)
  • My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)
  • Cryer's Cross
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • The Hidden (The Hollow, #3)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)
  • Tempestuous (Wondrous Strange, #3)
  • Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2)
  • Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)
  • One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2)
  • Enticed (The Violet Eden Chapters, #2)
Kimberly is the author of the BODY FINDER series (HarperCollins), THE PLEDGE trilogy (Simon & Schuster), and THE TAKING trilogy (HarperTeen). She lives in the Pacific Northwest, the ideal place to write anything dark or creepy...a gloomy day can set the perfect mood. She lives with her husband and their three beautiful (and often mouthy) children who provide an endless source of inspiration.
More about Kimberly Derting...
The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1) The Pledge (The Pledge, #1) The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3) Dead Silence (The Body Finder, #4) The Essence (The Pledge, #2)

“I was wrong. I should have never doubted you. I do trust you. I love you, and I can't do this anymore. I don't want to be..." He struggled to find the right words. "...without you." And then, finally, his arms slackened, releasing her, giving her the choice again. She felt his shoulders slump, and his heart shudder. "Please...” 89 likes
“You're such a girl," she chided, but somehow the words came out too soft...too tender, and ended up sounding like a compliment.
Jay just laughed. "So what does that make you, the guy?" He squeezed her hand even tighter, keeping it buried in his.
"Or some sort of lesbian," she teased, raising one eyebrow. "Maybe we should try out a little girl-on-girl action."
"Nice, Violet. Do you kiss your mom with that mouth?" His eyes glinted as he watched her.
She leaned closer to him in the darkness of the car's interior. "No, but I'll kiss you with it.”
66 likes