Start by marking “The Spy (Liar's Club, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Spy (Liar's Club, #3)

The Spy (Liar's Club #3)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,277 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
James Cunnington has a pressing mission at hand: He must find the daughter of a missing code breaker for the Liar's Club, a man suspected of turning traitor for Napoleon. Time is of the utmost concern. While it is evident that his ward's new tutor has something to hide, James in unaware that the woman he seeks now resides under his very roof...

Desperate and near destitute,
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published February 16th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spy

Kristal Kitap
Kaç gündür üst üste casus kitapları okuyunca insan rüyasında da casuslardan kaçabiliyormuş efendim. Kitapların seviyeleri gittikçe düşüp beni sıksada, gecem oldukça maceralı geçti. :D Bir önceki kitaba 4'mü versem 3'mü diye çok kararsız kalmıştım ama bu kitap 3'ten fazlasını hak etmiyor.

James en merak ettiğim karakterlerden biriydi ve kitabının da güzel olmasını istiyordum. Sayfaları ve paragrafları atlaya atlaya bitirdim kitabı. Yine temponun yükseldiği anlar oldu fakat yeterli değildi. Bir yü
BJ Rose
The books in The Liar's Club series are enjoyable reads with humor and light intrigue. They have strong heroes who are intelligent and patriotic, and strong heroines who are intelligent and resourceful, but the men seem to bungle their jobs until the women set them on the right track. There are some really great secondary characters, such as Feebles the pickpocket, Button the very sartorial valet, and Robbie the chimneysweep. The books had only a few 'suspend-disbelief' moments, (such as a suppo ...more
Zoe
Sep 06, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK I think I have had enough of the Liar's Club.

This is the 2nd book from the series I read and I think The Spy is an improvement from the first one in the series [The Pretender]. I like Philippa better than the meddlesom Agatha.

I cannot say that I like Celeste Bradley's style. The relationship feels rushed and the proclaimation of love forced, sex sceces uncomfortable, characterization on the shallow side. The spying element is played up in this series, too much for my taste.

I finished the bo
Mojca
Fleeing Napoleon's spies that kidnapped, and possibly murdered, her father, Phillipa Atwater doesn't know where to turn. Almost destitute and with nowhere to go, she finally gets a break when she spots an add for a tutor.

The only problem is, the tutor is supposed to be a man.

So she cuts and dies her hair, "borrow" some man's clothing and presents herself as Phillip A. Walters in the house of Mr. James Cunnington, the man whose name is scrawled in the margin of her father's mysterious notebook.

Ja
Lea Bourg'
Feb 15, 2015 Lea Bourg' rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh the third book of the Liar's Club with the handsome brother of Agatha who surprised me a lot =)
Phillipa has big problems: as her father was kidnapped by the French, she is forced to flee to England to get help from an old friend of her father. Unfortunately, once there she discovered he's dead and Phillipa, having no one to whom turned, decides to dress up as a man to be employed by James Cunnington, a man her father seemed to know ... But if James is more than charming , Phillipa don't kno
Ruth
This one uses the old heroine-dressed-as-man thing, but it's really enjoyable and not stale. I particularly like the hero's efforts to make a man of the reluctant heroine. The story moves fast, with several twists and the hero and heroine are both very likeable and interesting. Some parts are less than believable, although not in an irritating, "oh, pl-eeze" kind of way, the love scenes are lovely and the heroine is suitably reckless and determined. I would suggest that you need to read the prec ...more
Diana
I don't know how I feel about this book. It was a good read, better than some of the drivel I've ever read. But I don't know if I'm sold on the whole girl being a boy, boy being completely unable to see that he's really a she, when everyone else can, plot technique. I'll give that plot another go, but after that, these books might be auto-no's.
Foggygirl
A good read but not as good as the previous installment. Really didn't connect with the James and Philippa characters and storyline as much as I did with Dalton and Clara's.
Constance Moriarty
Nov 02, 2016 Constance Moriarty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quite-good
Kidnapping are a MUST for a Regency love story after all...
Sharyn
Dec 25, 2016 Sharyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kashii
Oct 21, 2016 Kashii rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story
Elis Madison
James Cunnington is not a happy man.

A couple books ago, he had a beautiful mistress who was six kinds of inventive in the sack, and he was wildly happy. But the beyotch talked him into trying drugs (that were supposed to make "the experience" that much more amazing). Then she'd ask questions about his colleagues in the Liar's Club (a secret fraternity of spies, saboteurs, assassins, etc., for the Crown). Eventually he was mugged and taken captive, kept drugged and questioned unmercifully. Then,
Crystal
Sep 27, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Hmmm... ok, I didn't like this one quite as well as the others. I got that James had issues due to what happened before the beginning of book 1 in the series. I just found it a bit... Well, it's like this; he didn't recognize that the h was a female and encouragingly told "him" that he could keep whatever secrets he had to be safe. The second he started suspecting the h was indeed a female, he was all "that bitch!" Dude, I get that you were thinking with your little head while engaging in procli ...more
Erin H
Mar 09, 2013 Erin H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rpo
I really enjoyed this book in the series better than the last one. I loved the idea of a disguise plot-an unintentional spy spying on “the” spy. I thought Phillipa was a great character. She was strong and determined to find out the secrets of her father, all the while dressed as a man pretending to be a tutor. I really enjoyed James in the first book but I was disappointed with him in this one. I couldn’t believe how blind he really was and I hated that he was so obsessed with Lavinia. I didn’t ...more
Jean
I enjoyed the story and the characters in this gender-bender tale of intrigue. However, there are a few glaring details that you need to be able to overlook in order to enjoy the story.

One, that our hero, the main character who is supposed to be a seasoned spy, doesn't notice that Flip is a a woman but Robbie his 9 year old ward and everyone else wasn't fooled. It's really hard to swallow especially since he's also the spymaster of the Liar's Club. It just seemed like he's too dumb and unhinged
Nandar
Phillipa is dressed as a guy in disguise to find out what the handsome James Cunngington know about her father who was kidnapped by the Napoleons. There is action, there is lust and there is romance. Now that's a book. James is quite a tough guy. His also a father of a kid called Simon he took from the streets. He takes Phillipa or Flip in to tutor his son Simon. Simon is quite a clever fella. He knew straight away that Phillipa was a girl. He was going to use that against Phillipa but in the en ...more
Deborah Vespo
Apr 26, 2013 Deborah Vespo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, went out and grabbed the rest of the series off of the library shelf as well as the series the Royal Four which continued off of this one. I really like Celeste - I love her characters and her story lines. Her female characters are strong and interesting, but not so strong that I have to put the book down. And her male characters are wonderful and truly likable. And I love the adventure, the romance, the drama - she provides what I like in a story and drives my hunger for more! ...more
Beno
Mar 16, 2015 Beno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear God I cannot explain How much I loved this book.
Flip- is officially, officially my favorite historical romance female character ever I mean she took advantage of an unconscious spy that makes her my idol.
James- poor guy pissed the hell off of me but I guess he was lost and all whatever he would do.
Robbie- damnit he is so darn cute I was all over the place worrying for him.

The plot was so fun a lot of embarrassing stuff, a lot of hilarious stuff all wrapped up in this big bow of cuteness.

lov
Kusanagi
Oct 30, 2015 Kusanagi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, regency, 19-ème
Une héroïne qui pour les besoins de sa cause se déguise en garçon pour s'introduire chez le héros... OK au premier abord ça fait résumé de drama asiatique... XD Mais ça donne surtout des scènes très drôles et des échanges savoureux. Et des pensées intimes de l'héroïne assez piquantes XD
Bon sinon comme d'habitude y'a des événements un peu tiré par les cheveux (le coup de la danse orientale...) mais on avance aussi dans une des enquêtes des Menteurs... Et tout n'est pas toujours rose...
Elizabeth
while i liked this, i could not help but compare it to Duchess By Night by Eloisa James which was much better. in the spy the hero has no clue the heroine is a woman while in James's book the hero finds himself strangely attracted to the beautiful man visiting his estate and there is chemistry and humor between them. Kind of ruined this book for me because it just wasn't nearly as good duchess by night.
Celestita Giron
Al principio dije: ¡Demonios! Que lento es James...

Pero solo leer como Phillipa se mete en problemas por ser tan calenturienta pues me engancho. Se me ha olvidado un poco la historia de Agatha pero se que James ya estaba ahí sufriendo con Lavinia para ese entonces.

A pesar de todo la historia me sedujo y la he disfrutado desde el principio.

¿Quien no tenido esos pensamientos que Phillipa tiene?

Que tire la primera pierda... :D
Gail
The brother of the heroine in the first book—he got himself kidnaped by an evil spy woman in that book and has felt guilty for his betrayals ever since. In this one, he’s the hero. He hires a young tutor for his adopted son, never noticing that Philip is really Philippa—the daughter of one of his spy company’s best cryptographers. Lots of complications—lots and lots—very well done. Each feels betrayed by the other—good stuff.
Carito Cárdenas guevara
Muy buena historia, me gusta mucho el hecho de q todas las protagonistas de esta serie sean poco convencionales, Flip en especial me gustó mucho ya q no es la típica protagonista débil, sino todo lo contrario. .. me gustó mucho cuando tenía q hacerse pasar x hombre y simplemente no le salía como quería
Kit
Aug 19, 2009 Kit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I read a story where a young women is posing as a young man, I always have to suspend belief, especially when the hero is a James Bond type of guy. This one was written very well where you could actually imagine Phillipa pulling it off. As always, Celeste Bradley has some great ending. All in all I enjoyed James and Phillipa's story.
Kathy
Jul 06, 2011 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book just never drew me in. It was slow, nearly to the point of boring and the story line just never seemed even remotely believable. More romance might have salvaged it, but the emotional aspect was also missing.
Kat
Apr 25, 2015 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book. However, James had to be the most inept spy ever! Two people figured out "Phillip's" secret right off the bat....but not our spy! BTW, I started reading this series out of order. I highly recommend you not do that.
Michele Lacroix
I really enjoyed The Spy. I really liked all the characters especially the main characters of Phillipa and James, I've always enjoyed the books where the heroine disguises herself as a boy. The tension between Phillipa and James and I can't wait for Rose's story in the Charmer.
Minnie
Jan 30, 2013 Minnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I shouldn't have read a negative review on this book. The reader made James sound pure evil and ignorant. True, he has been quite blind, but I found his reaction to be expected.

A fun read with a happy ending, of course!
Sue
Aug 05, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, I love how strong the women are in this series. All accomplished spies, though this story was more of a continuation from the first in this series. Regency spies are excellent, no tech all brains and brawn.
Jan 19, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this after the action started. Still can't understand how James didn't realise Phillip was a women but most others did. What a great he was. Lol. Great action and mystery towards end and fantastic HEA.
  • Lady Rogue
  • Beauty and the Spy (Holt Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • What a Gentleman Desires (Redgrave #3)
  • The Spy Wore Silk
  • Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue, #2)
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • The Love Affair of an English Lord (Boscastle, #2)
  • Not Quite A Gentleman (Regency #3)
  • The Secrets of a Scoundrel (The Inferno Club, #7)
  • An Independent Woman (Women and Men, #1)
  • The Naked Viscount (Naked Nobility, #5)
  • No Ordinary Groom (Spies and Lovers, #1)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
Celeste Bradley is the author of Fallen, which was nominated for a RITA in 2002, and The Pretender, the first book in the Liars series. According to Bradley, the best thing about writing is that she finally gets to use the brain full of trivia she's collected over a lifetime of living in eight states, residing in over twenty homes, and changing her major five times. "It was research for my writing ...more
More about Celeste Bradley...

Liar's Club (5 books)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)

“You are the end, and the beginning.
...
When I die, my only regret will be that you could
never reside in my heart to hear how it sings
when you touch me.”