Start by marking “Black Soul” as Want to Read:
Black Soul

Black Soul

After fifty years, genocide in Europe again. This time live, 24/7 coverage of the extermination of a nation. The author, Ahmet M. Rahmanovic, pens a fictional novel based on the true events of Bosnias darkest period in "Black Soul", a new book release through Xlibris.

This book, unlike any others, gives a face to all the actors in the Bosnian tragedy. In gripping war-action
Published February 5th 2010 by Xlibris Corporation (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Black Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Soul

Sara M. Abudahab
You know a book is good when it starts with:

“The following story if fiction.
What actually happened was worse.”

I read this three years ago right after I went back from Sarajevo, it was recommended to me by one of the dearest people to my heart Azra Hodzic, reading it and going through it’s bitter and sweet it instantly became one of my all-time favorites, it filled me with all kinds of emotions it made me cry, laugh, scream and curse. I became so attached to Hamza’s story and I remember when I g
Zandrey
Mar 26, 2010 Zandrey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Amazing! 10/10

Black Soul is a mix between an action thriller and political documentary. As the preamble to the book, the author states, “The following story is fiction. What actually happened was worse.”
With the first sentence, “Can you imagine how many women in Europe are making love right now?” the author pulls us into the novel which cannot be put down.
A myriad of politicians and authors have written on the war in Bosnia. Among them have been Bill Clinton, Joe Biden, Taylor Branch, Richard H
Ahmet M. Rahmanovic
Mar 24, 2010 Ahmet M. Rahmanovic rated it it was amazing

BLACK SOUL: Scar on Western History

After fifty years, genocide in Europe again. This time live, 24/7 coverage of the extermination of a nation. The author, Ahmet M. Rahmanovic pens a fictional novel based on the true events of Bosnia’s darkest period in “Black Soul,” a new book released through Xlibris.

The book, unlike any others, gives a face to all the actors in the Bosnian tragedy. In this gripping war-action thriller, Rahmanovic takes the readers from the battle-torn hills of Sarajevo to t
Ben
Feb 08, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
A powerful novel which explores the psychological and social effects of the war in Bosnia on participants from both sides of the conflict, through the experiences of one young man as he tries to recover--first in Sarajevo and then in Chicago. Definitely not a happy book, it exposes the corruption the author sees within the souls of both the Bosnians and the Serbians. No matter how hard they try, they simply can't escape the wounds of the war. Not for the feint of heart (or weak of stomach), the ...more
Staci
Apr 15, 2012 Staci rated it did not like it
I bought this book hoping to gain insight into the Bosnian-Serbian war and while it does do a little to explain some of the atrocities of the genocide and the psyche of the survivors, that is its only redeeming quality. This book is translated horribly - rated 'R' scenes are narrated by 'PG' dialogue. Definitive cultural and religious themes are unexplained. The storyline is full of unnecessary characters that seem only to serve as a way of injecting over-dramatized monologues from the main char ...more
Dzeni
Aug 18, 2011 Dzeni rated it it was amazing
"Covjek mora biti kao kafa, jak i topao."
Hannah Fillmore-Patrick
Witty and sometimes darkly hilarious, Ahmet Rahmanovic’s Black Soul is a fictional account of protagonist Hamza's journey during the Bosnian War from besieged Sarajevo to the hoods of Chicago, Illinois.

Rahmanovic writes his epic matter-of-factly in what is, at its best, understated and powerful verse. In the epigraph, for example, he warns: “The following story is fiction. What actually happened was worse.” And, when Musa asks Hamza if they should run through a shelling, Hamza replies simply: '“
Jonathan
Aug 15, 2012 Jonathan rated it did not like it
Hands down the WORST book I have ever read. AVOID at all costs. I bought this book in Sarajevo, because I wanted to read a fiction set during the Bosnian tragedy that would both be a good story and enlightening about the war. There were a few interesting facts about the war, but it was mostly a giant diatribe against Serbia with an atrocious and preposterous plot.

This book quite honestly could have been written by a child. At many points during the book I actually thought I was reading something
Amar Duran
Jul 12, 2013 Amar Duran rated it it was amazing
The real truth about the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the lives of people who left the country with scars in their hearts.
Lejla
Feb 18, 2015 Lejla rated it it was amazing
the best book i have ever read!!!
Ajdin Bajric
May 03, 2014 Ajdin Bajric rated it it was amazing
This book is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alma
Great book so far! It gives an intimate portrayal of young Bosniacs fighting in the Bosnian War in 1992-1995.
Adi Karić
Adi Karić rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Dzenana Brkic
Dzenana Brkic rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Esed Alihodžić
Esed Alihodžić rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2012
Grace Kellett
Grace Kellett rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Elma Lekić
Elma Lekić rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Toby
Toby rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Grofica Nera
Grofica Nera rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Samir
Samir rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Medinams
Medinams rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2013
Dijana Cox ExMedanovic
Dijana Cox ExMedanovic rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Ayşegül Karaküçük
Ayşegül Karaküçük rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Laurab
Laurab rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Amina Čandić
Amina Čandić rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2013
Wishful Sinful
Wishful Sinful rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2012
Emina
Emina rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Alma
Alma rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“Covjek mora biti kao kafa, jak i topao!” 3 likes
“The following story if fiction.
What actually happened was worse.”
2 likes