Start by marking “Another Monster at the End of This Book” as Want to Read:
Another Monster at the End of This Book

Another Monster at the End of This Book

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,327 ratings  ·  111 reviews
In this sequel, furry old Grover is still fearful of monsters--and he learns that there's another one at the end of this book! Just who is the monster at the end of this book?
Board Book, 24 pages
Published June 27th 2000 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Another Monster at the End of This Book, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakNo, David! by David ShannonAn Elephant Is On My House by O.D.D. CummingsHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Books I Don't Mind Reading My Kids.....
67th out of 465 books — 459 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWendall by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Books for six-year-olds
90th out of 421 books — 214 voters

More lists with this book...

Why did I hate this book?

Is it because it matches the comedy beats of the brilliant original, adding nothing? No.

Is it because it cynically adds that treacly red git Elmo for no purpose? No.

What is it?

Just before the end, Grover and Elmo have this idiotic back-and-forth "no, you!" argument that takes up the entire page spread.

How does it end?

Grover shuts it down with a dismissive "whatever."

What word, in what tone, did my son pick up, catapulting him directly to a world-weary teenagerhood some n
This is a sequel to "The Monster at the End of This Book", and, sadly, I don't really like it much. It is not bad, per se, but the same joke as the earlier book, done less well.
Well, unlike its deeply philosophical predecessor, this one left me wanting. I guess one could make an argument that the ongoing push-and-pull argument between the furry protagonists is representative of the child-like id fighting against the developing superego that will soon supplant it. Or, perhaps, it is a deeper look into the value of sometimes allowing the id to take control because those imagined 'monsters' that the superego sees everywhere never actually existed. Or, well, it might be ab ...more
Although I love the first "Monster at the End of This Book" book, this sequel really bugs me. Why? Well, in the first book, it's like Grover is interacting with the reader. Grover's too scared of monsters to go to the end of the book, and tries to keep you from turning pages, which of course you do anyway. And when you do, you as a reader (or the child involved in the reading) can feel brave and like a helper to your silly scaredy-cat friend Grover.

In the sequel, however, the interaction shifts
Alicia Rotter
Elmo and Grover are at it again! Grover is afraid of a scary monster at the end of the book and is surprised by who it actually is.

The illustrations for this book are very simple. I find it interesting that Elmo's name is red, because that color suggests caution and danger, which is Elmo continuing to tell the reader to turn the page. Grover's name is in blue which suggests calm and peace, and Grover is more timid and scared of what there is at the end of the book.

My favorite part of the book
Michelle H.
Jan 31, 2008 Michelle H. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
One of the greatest books of our time.
Hayley Stone
Seems like the author was simply trying to capitalize on the success of the first "Monster at the End of this Book," but seeing as it is essentially the same premise, it's much less effective here. No element of surprise, plus the reader's role is minimized by the addition of Elmo's character. Still a cute read, but nowhere near as fun or impacting.
PB 7: I thought this book was great. Elmo is one of my favorite Sesame Street characters and I'm glad he made an appearance in the book. I enjoyed how the text itself expressed emotion. The text got larger when Grover was upset or worried, and smaller or even wiggly when he was scared or pleading with Elmo 'Not to turn the page.' Those kind of readig cues are fantastic for characterization and can really bring emotion to the story. On a second note: can I just say the illustrations are fantastic ...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I'm not a fan of Elmo - a little cutesy (ala Jar Jar Binks) for my liking.

This is a sequel that never needed to be made. 5 stars for the orignal (The Monster at the End of this Book) to 1 star for this terrible effort.

If it were a stand-alone book is would have got more. The joke is exactly the same as the original - but if it were new to you it'd be funny. The implementation was basically the same - so again pretty good. But really this was a typical merchandising decision to attempt to get the
Monster at the End of This Book была идеальной книгой: простой и лаконичной, с картинками. вторая часть рассказывает ту же самую историю, два раза. не рекомендую ни после, ни вместо, ни до первой части.
Another favorite of my family. We read this on over and over. My kids think it's hilarious and enjoy the joke at the end. My Elmo voice isn't as good as my Grover voice, but they don't seem to mind.
Shannon McGrew
I dislike this book because It's just a remake of "The monster at the end of this book" with Elmo thrown in. In the first one if felt like Grover was talking and interacting with you. In this one? The book doesn't need you, it's got Elmo. Congratulations, Elmo Stole your job readers.

Some little ones and a few big ones will love it just because it has Elmo, and yes he acts in character so I see no reason for them to have anything against this title. And Grover acts the exact same way he did in "T
Some books don't need a sequel. The Monster at the End of This Book, one of THE greatest books of my childhood, is one of those books. Same concept with the addition of Elmo.
Roger Mccoy
Loses points for a general lack of creativity and for Elmo's constant badgering of the reader, but gains some points for using a non-linear storytelling method.
I really didn't like this one as much as the first. To me the animation was not as good, Grover didn't try as hard, and Elmo was a little Bossy. "Turn the page," or "Do it."

The Elmo characterization was good, I could hear Elmo saying "Yes Mr. Grover," or "Elmo wants to see the monster." So in that respect it was good. If you have not read this book, I recommend doing so, as well as reading the first.

Here's some links to read them, since they are hard to find:

The Monster At the End of this Book h
K.C. Hilton
These little books are so adorably cute! If you do the voices, while reading them out loud, they're even better! Children love them =)
Areej M.
I't amazing, I jut decide to buy the collection and put them in my library to have fun while reading to children from time to time :D
Stephanie Croaning
While the first one felt original and fun, this one was too similar and I really didn't enjoy it. It added Elmo. That was about it.
Ingrid Jennings
This is such a cute book. Like always with sequels; it's not as good as the original book but it is a good book to put kids to sleep with.
I thought that this was a wonderfully creative and worthy sequel to one of the best-loved Little Golden Books that has ever been written, "There's a Monster at the End of This Book".
Playing off of the charm of that first volume while introducing some humorous new twists, the writer-illustrator team of Jon Stone and Michael Smollin has created something very memorable in this book.
The language was noticeably contemporized from the first book, but I really didn't mind that, and my overall view
A huge disappointment after how amazing the first book is. I wouldn't use this one for storytime.
Another classic. I used to hate Elmo with a passion...he got all the focus and attention, stealing it away from my favorite monster Grover. The first book was awesome - why did they have to spin another one just to get Elmo in the picture.

Nowadays, I have a daughter who loves Elmo. And I guess he's kinda grown onto me. So now I guess I don't mind this book as much. After all, maybe it'll have the opposite effect: kids who are mainly into Elmo might discover the wonderful greatness of Ole Blue Fu
Jessica Terveer ranslow
My all time favorite as a child and I used it as an adult with clients in therapy.
Not as good as the first, but still fun to read out loud and share with a friend!
Kid's Review: "I want the other one again."

Mom's Translation: He liked it, but he likes Grover better than Elmo. We have both in app form on the iPad so he is acquainted with each in their interactive forms.

He was happy to see it's also a book and asked me to read it even though he has it memorized, whereas when he saw I'd gotten The Monster at the End of this Book, in book form he snatched it and read it himself.
Bisma Kureshy
This book was a fun read. It would make a good read aloud for children in kindergarden or even preschool! The way Grover and Elmo try to persuade the reader whether or not to turn the pages on the book are so funny. Elmo was so cute. He ws simply curious to see the monster at the end of the book where as Grover had no intention of finding out what was at the end. Reading this book to kids will also make them want to know who the monster at the end of the book is and they will have fun while
Read it twice in the morning!
Fuckin' Elmo.
Helen Kumpel
This book is for: PreK-1
Reflection: This is a great follow-up book to "A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK". Once again, Grover tries to stop the pages from turning and Elmo keeps finding ways (with the help of the reader) to reach the end of the book. Great book to help children realize how they interact with books, how we use books, and emotions of characters. The illustrations really show their emotions well and the pictures really look like they are trying to stop you from turning the pages!
Oct 18, 2007 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all parents, grandparents, etc
This is the second family favorite in the Reynolds library. Like the one before it, Another Monster At The End of This Book, has been by me (and only me) to my children since they were little. Both of these books are pulled out at the same time to be read.

This book is more fun to me than the first one because I can do the voice of Elmo and that is how it is read. It is very easy to get right into the characters and make it very entertaining to your readers when read out loud.
lets talk on my book 1 11 Feb 08, 2008 02:43PM
  • Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (Little Golden Books)
  • Philadelphia Chickens
  • Happy Birthday, Thomas! (Thomas & Friends)
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Animals
  • The Christmas Story
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Dogs?
  • Merry Christmas, Mouse!
  • Where Do Kisses Come From?
  • The Berenstain Bears' Mad, Mad, Mad Toy Craze (First Time Books)
  • Elmo Loves You (Sesame Street)
  • Mouse's First Fall
Stone graduated from Williams College in 1952. He received a master's degree from the Yale University School of Drama in 1955, at which time he joined a CBS training program. Before helping to create Sesame Street, he worked on the popular children's television show Captain Kangaroo for CBS. He also worked on several other Muppet projects before and during his time on Sesame Street, and was the au ...more
More about Jon Stone...
The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street) Hide and Seek: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover Resting Places: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover Christmas Eve on Sesame Street Blue's Fruit Field Trip! (Blue's Clues)