Start by marking “The Blue Moon Cafe ” as Want to Read:
The Blue Moon Cafe

The Blue Moon Cafe

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Someone--or something--is killing Seattle's gay men.
A creature moves through the darkest night, lit only by the full moon, taking them, one by one, from the rain city's gay gathering areas.

Someone--or something--is falling in love with Thad Matthews.
Published March 6th 2010 by Amber Allure

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Moon Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Moon Cafe

Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
320th out of 868 books — 1,169 voters
90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonMidnight On The Moon by Mary Pope OsborneLife As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
The Moon on book covers
29th out of 190 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Betryal
Mar 30, 2010 Betryal rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with paralyzing suspense and had me sitting at the end of my seat and I was literally yelling: RUN GODAMNIT RUN!! And for your information I read it during the day and not at night. :snorts: After what I've heard about it how stupid do you think I am?

As Rick's books always do it leaves you with a sense of awe, intrigue and quite frankly will his books ever end without you scratching your head and wondering wait a sec you can't just end it like that?

This one will do that to y
Jon

I usually listen to audio books (the unabridged versions) via headphones traveling on hours-long plane rides or driving long trips alone. So when a book I’ve had my eye on was released in audio book format recently, I decided to take a chance and listen while in my car – which proved quite often as I found myself looking for places to go, errands that needed doing so I could listen to Rick R. Reed’s suspenseful, romantic thriller, The Blue Moon Café.

Taken from the blurb for both print and audio
Ije the Devourer of Books
May 21, 2015 Ije the Devourer of Books rated it it was amazing
This was a good story and the narration made it an excellent listening experience. I like Rick R Reed's writing and the narration just gave his writing an extraordinary and deeply enjoyable dimension.

The narration really brought the story to life in a way that reading wouldn't have done. The voices of the characters were just superb and I was drawn into the story in a deep way. I read this while taking my morning walks and it made the time pass by so quickly.

This isn't your usual mm romance wit
Cindi
Aug 10, 2013 Cindi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2013, on-blog, rick-r-reed

Full review can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews.

This is not your typical werewolf or shifter story. Most I see out these days show the werewolf in a good light. That is definitely not the case with The Blue Moon Cafe. If you are familiar with this author's work then you know to expect the unexpected. If not, be prepared as this is no sweet and sappy romance. The killings are described and this book has a dark element that some might find disturbing. Me? I absolutely loved it.
Rick
Jan 18, 2011 Rick added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Someone--or something--is killing Seattle's gay men.

Someone--or something--is falling in love with Thad Matthews.
Against a backdrop of horror and fear, young Thad finds his first true love in the most unlikely of places--a new Italian restaurant called The Blue Moon Cafe. Sam is everything Thad has ever dreamed of in a man: compassionate, giving, handsome, a
Jenre
May 07, 2010 Jenre rated it it was amazing
The beginning of The Blue Moon Cafe throws us straight into horror territory as we are taken into the mind of a killer. The killer is stalking the streets of Seattle's gay district looking for young gay men to kill. He finds one and we leave his mind just as he begins to tear the man apart. We then move onto our hero Thad. Recently unemployed, Thad is finding the formless days and close confines of his apartment difficult to cope with so he decides to treat himself to a meal at a new Italian res ...more
Giovanni Gelati
Jul 31, 2010 Giovanni Gelati rated it really liked it
I have been trying to sprinkle in some different things into the mix the last month or so. The paranormal, zombie , fright type novels have been giving me a case of the chills on occasion and I am more of a goose bump, action, adventure, humor, mystery, OCD type guy. So, when I got a hold of The Blue Moon Café I thought, hey give it a whirl, how bad can werewolves be. I was happy to say it contained all of the above.
Rick R. Reed puts a very unique spin on a plotline that could be become old and
Monika
Jul 27, 2012 Monika rated it really liked it
Shelves: g-shifters
WOW!! An amazing thriller that kept me guessing, a sexy love story that doesn’t quiet end the way I hoped, add in werewolves and you have a really great story that is nothing like your normal everyday shifter book. The shifter aspect of the story is secondary, the books focus is on a serial killer who is targeting gay men.

The connection between Thad and Sam was there from the beginning, but their love was not an easy one nor was it instant and forever. So many questions and a whole lot of suspic
Jamie Fessenden
Jul 12, 2015 Jamie Fessenden rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic horror novel -- one that literally had me terrified for the characters on more than one occasion, which is rare for me. But I think it's important to point out this is a horror novel with a romantic thread running through it -- not the other way around. It ends the way a horror novel should, but not necessarily the way a romance novel should. I'm not saying the ending is bad. You'll have to read it. I'm just saying, this is a horror novel. Expect it to be.

I like the way the w
Durwood
Feb 16, 2012 Durwood rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gay horror lovers - esp if you live in Seattle, where it is set
Reed is at his best when describing a scene in such vivid detail that the reader is transported into the story. He does a particularly good job of this in Blue Moon when describing the Italian cuisine served at the cafe - he had me salivating Pavlovian-style.

I loved the perfect blend of culinary delights, eroticism, suspense, and terror. While the plot does not always go where you expect, I was able to anticipate the next immediate event most of the time; this didn't detract from my enjoyment at
Cindy (eclecticfirefly)
The werewolves in this story truly are werewolves. Except for one thing. A bite will not "change" someone, being a werewolf is an hereditary thing. The wolf only comes out during a full moon and they usually restrict themselves to hunting animals.

But someone is hunting humans. Gay, male humans.

Thad is at loose ends in his life. He lost his job and hasn't had any luck finding another. He is a likable fellow trying to find his way. I liked Thad. I felt his excitment when he met Sam and his need fo
Lexi Ander
Jan 19, 2011 Lexi Ander rated it it was amazing
Wow, I am not sure what to say. The twist and turns made this book extremely engrossing.

Off the top, I like that this did not revolve around the shifters. Their life and that they exist is not what the story revolves around. The second thing was that the human did not automatically roll over and accept it just because he is or maybe in love.

I flip-flopped between who was better for Thad, Sam or Jared. They both had their merits. I think I was just as indecisive as Thad on this issue. I am happy
LD  Durham
Jun 02, 2010 LD Durham rated it it was ok
Recommended to LD by: Carvedwood
I didn't particularly care for the writing style. It was a bit too conspicuous for me. I kept thinking of this book as a B horror flick written as a novel. It wasn't bad, but the emotions were a little over-acted and I could see what was coming from a long way off.

I found the interludes of the monster's thoughts a distraction and really dropped any sort of intensity level that had been building. I never connected with the main character, Thad, finding him to be silly, wishy-washy, and shallow,
May 06, 2014 315 rated it did not like it
"He gazed down at the bubbling golden froth in the toilet and flushed it away..."

I'm sorry but... W. T. F!!! bubbling golden froth... it's PISS for fuck sake! And i'm sorry but 4 paragraphs for pissing?

DONEZ-O!

DNF (oh and I gave it a chance... got up Ch 5 after the piss in chapter 1 so I gave it a fighting chance to get back on the rails. Okay, really it was just Ch 4 since I skipped so much of chapter 4 I can't really call it reading the chapter.

I SO wanted to like this book... but MM shifter
Jane A
Oct 30, 2014 Jane A rated it liked it
I didn't quite enjoy this book as much as I'd like. I didn't really like the style of writing. The only parts I did like was the parts in the pov of the monster in the beginning (that was really nice and creepy), the way the author would describe things and the fact that there isn't a HEA. I didn't like the couple anyway. I didn't fall in love with them so I was confused when Ted suddenly admitted that he was in love with Sam.
The main reason why I didn't like Ted was because I felt that he talk
Holly
Jun 13, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it
Not so much a romance, where love transcends all, as a "have to make do with what's available" novel. But that said, the twists in the plot, trying to second guess the characters and the B-grade scary atmosphere made it an enjoyable read.
K
Jan 24, 2014 K rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifters
This is not a typical trope filled werewolf romance.... whilst the main narrator is Thad, a young single gay man living in Seattle, you also spend some of your time in the mind of a werewolf looking for a meal... which he finds in the form of young gay men...

When Thad tries out a new restaurant, The Blue Moon Cafe of the title, he meets Sam, an older bearded man from Italy, as are the rest of his family who live with him. There is an instant attraction between the pair and they begin dating.

When
Kira
Feb 08, 2016 Kira rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
this was just dumb. i wish the werewolves had eaten the main character.
Yvonne
Just a few random thoughts: Good suspense. I found myself skipping ahead in a few places to make sure everything would turn out OK.

This had a little B Horror movie quality due to the villain and in that someone has to be a little TSTL to make it work. It's known gay men are being attacked in hang out spots in the gayborhood. So what do people do but hang out at night with no caution whatsoever. Once the MC finds out the timeframe it's happening, what does he do but go out during this exact timef
Alan
Oct 11, 2010 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thad Matthews is between jobs, between boyfriends and trying to pull his self-esteem out of the gutter in Seattle’s gay neighborhood, Capitol Hill. But he has to be careful during his nights out clubbing to find a new love/lust interest because there have been some gruesome deaths in the area, gay men mutilated and half-eaten, and it always seems to happen during a full moon.

When Thad decides to try the new Italian restaurant that opens near his apartment, he encounters more than great food and
Ryan G
Mar 28, 2011 Ryan G rated it liked it
After the disaster that was The Secret Keeper, I was a little gun shy about reviewing anymore gay fiction that was written by an author I was unfamiliar with. I would happily read if for my own enjoyment, but I wasn't sure I would wanted to agree to reviewing a book that I wasn't sure I would enjoy. After a few days of thinking about it, I realized that I was being a little odd about it. Why should I hold back on gay fiction when I wasn't having any doubts about other genres of fiction. If I was ...more
D.H. Starr
Dec 27, 2010 D.H. Starr rated it it was amazing
Indie Reviews
Thad Matthews has lost his job and spends his days surfing the Internet for employment prospects, loving on Edith his Chihuahua and generally feeling sorry for himself. Out of curiosity he checks out a new Italian restaurant for dinner – The Blue Moon Café – and meets Sam Lupino the owner. It’s lust at first sight for both, and after Sam feeds Thad a scrumptious meal they spend little time getting naked and jumping into bed. Sam is the man of Thad’s dreams – dark, handsome, older and worldlier a ...more
Tony-Paul Vissage
Fans of werewolf tales may think they know what’s going to happen next but they’ll find themselves being proven wrong again and again. The Blue Moon Café has just enough deviations from the usual formula to keep the reader guessing and the story taut. The parts of the novel seen through the killer’s eyes are a fluid, eloquent description of aroused, heightened, animalistic senses.

I’ve always congratulated myself on being able to figure out ’way in advance whodunit and how something is going to
Brandon Witt
Mar 14, 2013 Brandon Witt rated it it was amazing
Blue Moon Cafe was such a fun story to read (listen to, actually, as I did this one on audiobook). I think fun is actually the best descriptor of this novel. Though it may be a strange adjective to choose for a book that has a couple scenes with mild descriptions of werewolf killings. It managed to be both cheeky and keep the reader guessing, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Mild spoiler----as for those ratings that give it a low number because they didn’t like the ending, I can’t tell you sick I am
Denise White
Nov 09, 2014 Denise White rated it it was ok
This book was not anything special to me... I didn't feel no love development between Sam and Thad... To me it was really no development of any of the characters ... The werewolf thing was weak... I just didn't care for the plot r anything.. I give it 2 stars because I did finish it..
Dianna
Feb 25, 2012 Dianna rated it it was amazing
I could really blather on for ages about this book!!
I did $ this for my Kindle DX & was thrilled to find was an amazing thriller
wrapped up in a sexy love story full of heart break & loss....
I loved this story have read 3 times so far & my one wish is that we could have some more
of Sam &Thad set wherever ...just more..I am also a foodie & was thrilled w/ all the descriptions
of all the yummie foods made @ The Blue Moon Cafe...stunning for all the senses !!!!
Yummie men yummie st
Georgiann Hennelly
Mar 11, 2011 Georgiann Hennelly rated it it was amazing
The twists and turns made this engrossing. Someone or something is killing gay men in Settle. It's a very good paranormal / chiller. Something or someone is moving through the darkest night, lit only by the full moon , and killing them one by one from the city's gay gathering areas. Thad finds his true love in a new Italian restaurant The Blue Moon cafe. Sam is everything Thad has ever dreamed of. He's compassionate , giving, and handsome. But as their love grows so do the questions. Why do Sam' ...more
Peter Saenz
Jun 01, 2012 Peter Saenz rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book by one of my favorite gay genre authors. The book follows a blossoming relationship where the central character is ultimately forced to choose between the new man in his life or the new friend with potential. Mix in werewolves and a city serial killer centering on gay men and you've got a riviting book with a lot of heart and a lot of thrills. I highly recommend this book and am eagerly awaiting it's sequel. - Peter Saenz
Dee
Nov 22, 2015 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, purchased
I had difficulty getting through this novel. It was Ok, just not what I expected. I guess I never bonded with the main characters either. Instead of being immersed in the novel, I found myself passively listening just curious to see how it unfolds. I am pleased to see all great reviews. Perhaps I wanted a was looking forward to a M/M romance shifter novel instead of a M/M horror thriller. Silly me.
The Backlot Gay B...: The Blue Moon Cafe by Rick R. Reed 1 17 Jul 01, 2013 05:17AM
  • Infected: Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
  • Bloodlines (KinKaid Wolf Pack, #1)
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Feral (Northern Shifters, #2)
  • Dragon Streets
  • In the Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • Woke Up in a Strange Place
  • Gumption & Gumshoes
  • The Wounds in the Walls
  • Yearning (Green's Hill Werewolves, #1)
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
  • Objects in the Rearview Mirror (Memoirs of the Human Wraiths #2)
  • A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)
  • Fatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mysteries, #1-2)
  • I Fell in Love with a Zombie
  • Buried Bones (Bones #2)
  • Tatterdemalion (Foundations of Magic, #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
Rick R. Reed is all about exploring the romantic entanglements of gay men in contemporary, realistic settings. While his stories often contain elements of suspense, mystery and the paranormal, his focus ultimately returns to the power of love. He is the author of dozens of published novels, novellas, and short stories. He is a three-time EPIC eBook Award winner (for Caregiver, Orientation and The ...more
More about Rick R. Reed...