Start by marking “Thieves in the Temple: The Christian Church and the Selling of the American Soul” as Want to Read:

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  8 reviews
What has become of the Christian Church? Once devoted to molding Americans into better people, in recent years the Christian Church has gotten a corporate makeover. In a desperate attempt to bolster membership rolls, ministers have begun to treat their churches more like companies, and their congregations more like customers.As a minister in a small church and as a nationa ...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Basic Books (first published February 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Thieves in the Temple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thieves in the Temple

Samantha
This book was very interesting to start, but it quickly floundered. The author seemed to repeat himself quite a bit, especially in the second half of the book. It is definitely an interesting book for those who have not read a similar book before, but for someone like me, it was the same tired comments in the end. I did like it, but I hoped for more.
Robert D. Cornwall
I found the book frustrating. It is a needed critique of the commercialism infecting our church experience. But it's also a grumpy book. The author has a tendency to want to go back to the good old days when we sat on hard pews and the preacher made everyone feel uncomfortable. And yet, we need to be pushed.

So, I give it three stars because I'm not sure what to make of it.
Lillian Daniel
Provocative and convicting. My review in the Christian Century Magazine,

Selling out?
Jan 11, 2011 by Lillian Daniel
In my first years in ministry, the senior minister I worked with had a policy of performing weddings for any couple that asked, whether they were connected to the congregation or not. He believed that this was one way to show hospitality to couples who did not attend church and who later might return to church as a result of that hospitality.

S
Victoria Weinstein
A petty, mean-spirited screed by a pastor who obviously has an ax to grind after being fired from his church. Lacks love, heart and vision. If I wanted to listen to this much anti-layperson negativity I'd just go to a clergy conference and sit with the bitter old dinosaurs. No thanks.
Seán
MacDonald's got it right: most of these functionally illiterate megachurch clowns are not Christians, they're just Christ-Lite consumers. Still, I wish the book and his suggested solutions were meatier.
Strange book. I agreed with some things and other things burned my conscience. On the other hand, he had some ideas that were completely off the wall.
Mary
"MacDonald's biting critique is must reading, even though it makes us wince." - Christian Century.

I winced. . .

Matthew
A great analysis of the problems of a consumeristic church ... leaves you a little wanting for answers on solving it (but I guess that's what the Bible's for!).
Karl
Karl added it
Mar 03, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Z Tyler
Z Tyler marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
M.
M. marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Josh Ryder
Josh Ryder marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Brian Hughes
Brian Hughes marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Katz!
Katz! added it
Aug 06, 2013
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Jeanie
Jeanie marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013
Caleb
Caleb marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2012