Start by marking “Living a Life That Matters” as Want to Read:
Living a Life That Matters

Living a Life That Matters

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  804 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
A person's longing for significance--which can lead to excessive ambition, moral compromise, and preoccupation with status--often stands in conflict with a longing to be good. In Living a Life That Matters, Harold S. Kushner (the Massachusetts rabbi whose bestselling books include When Bad Things Happen to Good People) suggests that the most successful lives are the ones t ...more
Published December 16th 2003 by Anchor (first published September 4th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Living a Life That Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living a Life That Matters

David
Mar 21, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Years ago I enjoyed reading Rabbi Kushner's When Bad Things Happen to Good People. "Living a Life that Matters" follows in a similar approach; short and concise, but coherent and realistic. A recurring theme throughout the book is the life of the biblical patriarch Jacob, who lived a most interesting life. Early in life he was disengenuous, "stealing" his brother's birthright and then deceiving his father, Isaac. But, what goes around comes around, when he wanted to marry Rachel, and instead his ...more
Brittany
Jul 27, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During my weekly library browsing day last week, I found a book called Living a Life that Matters by Rabbi Harold S. Kushner. I had been looking for another book to read that would give insight into living life for and with God. However, there have been few authors recently that write on this subject that I have been able to get into. This was a quick read, insightful, and I had a hard time putting it down.

In a world where we can feel ignored or lost in the crowd, overwhelmed by all the pressure
Greg
This is a thought-provoking (and thought-consolidating) book, just what I would expect from Rabbi Kushner. The good Rabbi reminds us that what is truly important in life rarely has anything to do with the size of our bank accounts, the number of rooms in our houses, or the number of toys we own. Rather, it has more to do with the quality of our relationships, the strength of our character, and the steadiness of our personal growth.

Rabbi Kushner takes us on a thoughtful journey of the mind and h
Walter
Apr 09, 2009 Walter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an important book - it deals thoughtfully with many aspects of our existence, beginning with helping us to conceptualize our dual needs/goals of success and significance. On the whole, it is written in a straightforward, common sense style, refreshingly free of dogma and cant. As such, then, it delivers piercing insights into our human nature and our (need for/ inclination toward) spirituality that are as convincing as they are clear. After having been disappointed by his earlier, far be ...more
Jacqueline
Nov 24, 2009 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I loved this book so much, I bought copies as gifts to share with others. Kushner gathers together material from many great souls and shares their combined wisdom in a lovely narrative interwoven with biblical exegesis.
Some of my favorite quotes from this book:

p.145 As Mother Teresa said, "Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love."

p.158 " A good person, even in death, is still alive."

p. 154 "If a person has known love, has felt and given love, that person'
andrew
May 04, 2014 andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
when I read my first kushner book, "when bad things happen to good people", I was in a place where I needed that book. I was lost and confused and needing to find direction again in a world that no longer made sense when compared against the idealistic worldview I'd always subscribed to. I needed to read a book that was not the Bible but contained the sort of timeless wisdom that book, I believe, contains.
I am no longer in that place. Yet I still wanted to give Kushner another try, wanted to lea
Michael
One of the wisest, insightful books I have ever read was When Bad Things Happen to Good People. I, truly, learned some valuable lessons from Rabbi Kushner's wise, thoughtful advice about life, and about how to respond to tragedy. To use a word from The Simpsons, his insights into the human condition embiggened me.

This slim volume is more of the same. People struggle, the Rabbi rights, with two conflicting parts of their soul: the desire to be well-known, successful, a 'somebody' and the desire
Paul Wilson
Jun 28, 2009 Paul Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the words of Harold Kushner. Though, I am not Jewish what he writes is timeless and for anyone who truly wants to become a better person. I finished this book last month but I already have started to reread the book. The book definitely should be read many times.
Ann Baxter
Oct 21, 2009 Ann Baxter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Kushner has a way of making all of us feel better about ourselves yet want to strive to be better. His use of the biblical Jacob to explain the internal conflicts within us all was fascinating. Kushner is an intelligent yet thoughtful writer.
Jill
I had an "aha" moment as I read Chapter 4. Several other books came to mind, to bring into focus the concept of Purgatory. It's my belief that the pain of Purgatory is caused by us coming to full realization of our sins and the pain that we caused other people, and our contribution to the evil of society. In Heaven, we will be with lots of other forgiven souls, some of them who have hurt us in the past, and some who we have hurt. Yet we will be living in full harmony, with no ill feelings. Chapt ...more
Angela
Sep 13, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite authors. He is most famous for writing "When Bad Things Happen to Good People." This book weaves philsophy and religion in a common sense practical approach that is applicable to everyday life.
Rochelle
Sep 11, 2013 Rochelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, essays
Loved this book and it is one that I will return to often. For its lessons are timeless.
JR Simons
Wasn't really what I was looking for.
Ken Braley
I wasn't thrilled with this book, but others may enjoy it. Some good reminders of what's important in life (love, doing good, integrity, friendship, etc), but the supporting arguments were mostly uninspiring to me.

Most often cited where stories from Christian and Jewish texts, novels, plays, and movies. I found those mostly uninspiring. There were a couple personal stories from the author's life or people he had met, that although being anecdotal, were somewhat inspiring to me.

My overall opinion
J
Living a Life that Matters uses the story of Jacob in The Book of Genesis as the background for discussion regarding why and how a person should live a life that matters.

Harold Kushner is a Rabbi so his logic carries a spiritual component. However, his writing is devoid of self righteousness. Using stories and references to popular culture he argues that integrity defines character. He tempers his words with sensitivity and understanding to explain that personal development is an ongoing process
David
May 05, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Kushner again exercises his gift of finding practical wisdom in religious stories of the Old Testament. Here he finds much to extract from the life of Jacob (who eventually changes his name to Israel, which means “One Who Struggles with God”). Jacob struggled with many—his father, his brother, his father-in-law—but mostly with himself. And should not we all struggle with ourselves? Kushner counsels that it is only good people who feel guilty. Evil people rarely feel guilt—they deny, they justify ...more
Shiri
May 11, 2013 Shiri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shiri by: Miri Haisraeli-Shalish
Shelves: nonfiction, own-it
I was debating whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars.
On the negative side, this book overuses God in crafting a vision for life. Of course this is natural coming from a Rabbi, but a more secular message could have resonated with a larger audience. Also, there was one downright sexist comment that made me mad.
On the bright side, Kushner writes with a compassionate voice and has a deep understanding of the human psyche, including our wish to transcend death, the capacity to forgive though wantin
Grant Trevarthen
Being in my early 50's, I'm at the time of my life that a lot of thoughts are circling around my grey matter. A lot is about the years that have passed, and the time left, and what have you done with the time. Initially it was a cause for concern. But after reading Harold Kushner's book, 'Living A Life That Matters', I have reason to be encouraged.
In this book, Kushner gives great advice on living a life, that you are happy that basically you have given as much as you've received. Now this does
Anthony Tenaglier
There were great lines of wisdom throughout the book, that provoked my thinking. Some of my favorites were, "good people feel guilty, bad people typically do not"( this refers to actions and decisions made towards others). Decision making is really not between "good and bad" but rather "good and good" and it's not revenge that people are after, but rather a sense to somehow regain the "power stolen" from us.
Carol
Jan 22, 2014 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed. I agree with the premise that it matters how you live your life and love is what is primary. But Biblical story after Biblical story left me cold - Kushner writes about them as if they were actual events rather than mythology (and to be fair, he probably does believe that to be the case) and most of those stories depict people who behaved in astoundingly unethical ways. Making a case for living a life that values kindness, compassion and connections to others can be done with ...more
Melinda Flaugher
I am not giving away this book. A wonderful read that helps us realise that everyone has a purpose. I am reading the Bible in a year and thought it was neat how I was reading about Jacob at the same time. Everyone has two faces that help you to achieve God's plan. What a true, realistic perception on humanity.
Marcus
Aug 15, 2015 Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-100
This book came to me at just the right time in my life... I just turned 42 and I am trying to make sense of what to do with my time now that the responsibilities of parenting are not quite so demanding. This book is a well-written reminder that our lives must intersect with other lives to have meaning. As a Rabbi, Kushner uses the story of Jacob as a running metaphor through the book. Jacob starts as a devious trickster, but then wrestles with God one night and becomes whole. He leaves the world ...more
Leigh Ann Wilson, Ph.D.
I love this book. I have read it before and enjoyed it just as much the first time. His words provide comfort and peace. I have also read some of his other works and found them to be soothing as well. Keeper.
Tania P
Nov 10, 2014 Tania P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Thoughtfully written and inspiring. Always good to come at spirituality from many directions and to expose yourself to many perspectives. I thoroughly enjoyed Rabbi Kushman's gentle and caring perspective.
Peter
Jul 19, 2016 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aging, spirituality
This is a non-preachy description of what a good life might look like. It is couched in spirituality, but it is good for anyone if one has asked the question, "How do I live a life that matters?"
Jane
Jun 23, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third (I think) of Kushner's books I've read now in the past year. He has a knack for taking literature and Biblical references and applying them to contemporary daily lives in a way that is both thought-provoking and inspiring. I found much of what he wrote to be affirming; it's easy to see why he's been so successful as both a rabbi and a sort of "self-help" author. This particular book helps one understand why knowing oneself is critical to being able to move forward in life, and ...more
Lori Ben-ezra
Oct 25, 2014 Lori Ben-ezra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rabbi Kushner has a nice way of simplifying complex, existential issues bringing in different religious referencees. This is a very readable book to help understand ethical issues and behaviors.
Trey Nowell
Apr 03, 2015 Trey Nowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very motivational way to pursue life, this book has a very positive message that could help a lot of people succeed. I've read a couple of his books previously and am very impressed with Rabbi Kushner.
M Tremmel
Apr 11, 2011 M Tremmel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read his seminal Why Bad Things Happen To Good People years ago in college for a Philosophy class. It was a formative study. He's just as powerful here. I especially enjoyed his theories on forgiveness vs. revenge. He presents excellent, well thought arguments on the benefit or better yet the necessity of forgiveness even for the most atrocious crimes.
I also enjoyed thinking about and reading his take on aging and specifically on purpose in life.
Overall, it was a thoughtful and thought-provoki
Dec 13, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely writer Mr. Kushner is. I've intrigued by the titles of his books for a while but this is my first reading of one of them. I think this book met me at the right time, at a time when I am questioning if the work I do matters and trying to understand why it is such a struggle. I think I get it now. I'm only speaking for my current situation, but I don't get to show love. And that simple obstruction sapped my sense of purpose and meaning. Very interesting. To be able to experience a mo ...more
  • The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath
  • Kaddish
  • A Compass to Fulfillment: Passion and Spirituality in Life and Business
  • Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces
  • A Cry Like a Bell
  • Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Snow rising
  • Toward a Meaningful Life, New Edition: The Wisdom of the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson
  • Kabbalah: A Very Short Introduction
  • Making Loss Matter
  • Talking with God: Divine Conversations That Transform Daily Life
  • Thoughts From the Seat of the Soul: Meditations for Souls in Process
  • The Cost of Winning: Coming in First Across the Wrong Finish Line
Harold S. Kushner is rabbi laureate of Temple Israel in the Boston suburb of Natick, Massachusetts. A native of Brooklyn, New York, he is the author of more than a dozen books on coping with life’s challenges, including, most recently, the best-selling Conquering Fear and Overcoming Life’s Disappointments.
More about Harold S. Kushner...

“Forgiveness is a favor we do for ourselves, not a favor we do to the other party.” 48 likes
“Good people will do good things, lots of them, because they are good people. They will do bad things because they are human.” 41 likes