Start by marking “A Girl, a Ghost, and the Hollywood Hills” as Want to Read:
A Girl, a Ghost, and the Hollywood Hills

A Girl, a Ghost, and the Hollywood Hills

3.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
When Holly's mother dies unexpectedly, she thinks things can't get much worse. But then her dad starts dating again. And his new girlfriend is Holly's aunt-her mom's sister! Aunt Claudia is known in Hollywood as the Queen of B Movies. Horror films, zombie flicks, she's made them all. Holly never liked her aunt, but now she positively can't stand her. Especially once the gh ...more
Published October 14th 2010 by Viking Juvenile (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Girl, a Ghost, and the Hollywood Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl, a Ghost, and the Hollywood Hills

Doug
Apr 18, 2012 Doug rated it liked it
Holly has problems. Her mom died, and her dad has taken up with her mom's sister, Claudia, which is pretty oogy. Something that may or may not be her mom's ghost is crying out for vengeance, and Holly doesn't know whether to trust it or not. Everyone in Holly's life has names that start with the same letter as characters in Hamlet, only gender-reversed. That's not a problem per se, but Holly has apparently never heard of Hamlet, which makes me think the curriculum in that fancy East-coast prep s ...more
Angelina Justice
Mar 26, 2011 Angelina Justice rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I'm a little torn on ths one. The writing is excellent. The characters are pretty engaging. BUT the plot development and relationships in this book were overdone or underdone.

The book begins with the promise of supernatural events, but ends with a person coming to grips with emotional and mental turmoil caused by the trauma of a mentally ill parent taking her own life.

The character of Oliver, the love interest, is often flat and largely unbelievable. He almost seems like a forced ingredient in t
Sandy
Aug 01, 2010 Sandy rated it did not like it
Holly's mother died about 6 months ago. She's been mad at her dad for dating her mother's sister, so she's been avoiding them, but now she's come home from boarding school for Christmas break. She becomes convinced that her aunt murdered her mother because she's seeing ghosts and has performed some Santeria rituals, and now she just has to prove it so her dad will dump Claudia.
Completely horrible dialogue, very obvious plotlines, and a mixed-up, wishy-washy unconvincing main character. This book
Mikaela ❀
Feb 01, 2011 Mikaela ❀ rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I had a very good time reading it. I actually just borrowed it from my best friend. She told me that it was nice and offered it to me. So, I said yes. The story's a mix of romance and mystery! It's a MUST read! If I were you, I'd buy this book immediately. You'll love it. :)
Cassie Johnson
Sep 28, 2011 Cassie Johnson rated it it was ok
This book was kind of weird...
It had an awesome idea, but I was disappointed by the "ghost."
It seemed kind of misleading.
And the relationship between her and Oliver was flat.
He seemed kind of drama queen-ish.
I dunno, I guess it could've been a lot better.
thisncondition
Oct 06, 2010 thisncondition rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
Monster
Nicole
As if her mother's death wasn't hard enough to process, Holly's father spring the worst news on her at the worst possible time. He's dating someone: his dead wife's sister. It's just too sick for Holly to think about. But she's forced to deal with both her father and his new zombie loving girlfriend, Aunt Claudia, a horror film producer. It's only a few weeks, and it should be relatively easy to avoid them both since her father is always working and Aunt Claudia doesn't live her.

But things have
Xiu Ling
Jan 08, 2012 Xiu Ling rated it really liked it
First of all, this book is not horrifying. The main issue in here is that the main character is going through a pressured psychological period after her mother's death. She refuses to accept that other people close to her mom move on so fast. Also, throughout most of the story, she doesn't try to see the issues through others perspective. I think that the issues are there because her mind and body refuses to find peace. She starts to see spirit of her mother. The spirit of her mom is not real. S ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 09, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I saw that this book got a lot of negative criticism, however, I really enjoyed it! The writing is good, not too much deatil, but there's still a good amount, I love Holly's character and the world she lives in. The first time I read this was over a year ago, and now I'm reading it again.
Lacey
May 28, 2013 Lacey rated it it was ok
I knew going in this book would probably just be a quick, fun read at most with a little Shakespearean influence going on. And for a good bit of it, I did enjoy it.

Then came the "twist" ending (it's not really a twist, but for the lack of a better word, it'll work), and it just fell apart for me. It's about a girl who's working through her grief over the loss of her mom, and it has its good moments. If that was the entire book, then it would be fine. If it was a straight-up homage to Hamlet, the
Ashley Kramer
Sep 14, 2015 Ashley Kramer rated it really liked it
It's been a few years since I've read this but as far as I remember it was a great book
Selina
Mar 07, 2015 Selina rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I didn't want to put the book down! I wanna know what happens next! :)
Keke
Aug 25, 2014 Keke rated it did not like it
I do not like how I was pretty much promised paranormal and all I got was normal.
Sam
2.5 stars - good premise it just fell a bit flat.
Maya
Apr 02, 2012 Maya rated it did not like it
I got 50 pages in and just gave up. The writing was terrible, there may have been one instance where "he said" or "she said" was replaced with something more creative, and the main character was obnoxious. Absolutely adore the cover, it's why I picked it up in the first place, but the story itself was a total flop. So sad, I really wanted to like this!
Abbie
Apr 16, 2011 Abbie rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, 2011
Kristin
Jul 02, 2011 Kristin marked it as unfinished
I typically really enjoy modernizations of Shakespeare...and I was enjoying this until I hit this sentence: "And our eyes were pools, but not pools of tar, where parts of the past got stuck and died." Granted, they were at the La Brea Tarpits in this scene...but still.
Bayley
Jun 11, 2011 Bayley rated it it was ok
This book had potential. It was an interesting take on Hamlet, but the more I read, the more I thought my time would've been better spent scraping gum off the bottom of library tables. Started out good enough, ended like crap.
Shannon Rochester
Mar 17, 2012 Shannon Rochester rated it liked it
I got about halfway through before the characters started to drive me crazy...so better than the last one I read by her. :)
Mallory
Dec 31, 2010 Mallory rated it really liked it
The ending was a little open-ended...is there a sequel in the future?
Lynae
Jul 02, 2012 Lynae rated it liked it
I wish the ending was more like Hamlet.
Lee Anne
Aug 11, 2013 Lee Anne added it
Shelves: dnf
Ugh.
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Karrald Gauthier
Karrald Gauthier marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Julianne
Julianne rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
ladylivs
ladylivs marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
  • Bestest. Ramadan. Ever.
  • Lesson Learned (Keysha, #3)
  • The Haunting of Charles Dickens
  • Double Take
  • The Ghost of Opalina
  • The Shadow Guests
  • The Other Side of Dark
  • Living with Ghosts
  • My So-Called Haunting (Afterlife, #2)
  • The Less-Dead
  • The Wicked, Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House
  • Rebel Spirits
  • Sacrifice (Legacy, #3)
  • End of Days (Night Runner #2)
  • The Whispering House