Start by marking “Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)

Ruthless Heart (Heart #1)

He led her astray, and she never wanted to go back ...

Sheltered all her life, Eliza Hunter never imagined herself alone in the vast Utah plains, much less trailing a mysterious, rugged man hired to hunt down her beautiful younger sister. Unable to reveal the truth about her pursuit of him, Eliza plays student to his teacher, transforming herself in the process. And when
Published July 1st 2010 by Brava

To ask other readers questions about Ruthless Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruthless Heart

Juliana Philippa
Jun 22, 2011 Juliana Philippa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Juliana Philippa by: Ruth
I wasn't really sure what to expect with this book. I had never heard of Emma Lang (or Beth Williamson, her real name), but Ruth's review intrigued me and I'm a sucker for non-beautiful, odd, and intellectual heroines - which we definitely gate in spades here with Eliza, or "Liz," as Grady calls her. I couldn't find Ruthless Heart at either my library or on PBSwap and I am so glad that I didn't let that deter me and decided to go ahead and buy it; it was a wonderful read and one I know I will pi ...more
Ruth
OMG. I really LOVED this book. It's what historical romance should be all about for me. The characters were fresh - a plain, resourceful and determined heroine, and a gruff, moderately-attractive, loner hero - and the plot was fabulous. The story is written using the language the characters use, foul language and all, which makes it more earthy and real. I really struggled to put this down. Also, the steamy bits are extremely well-written, probably among the best I've seen - real, passionate, tr ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Definitely has the steam factor. The story moved nicely and had a decent plot but something didn't ring true for me. Eliza was sheltered all her life and runs away and follows this guy to save her sister. Grady is a tracker and a bounty hunter. He has been hired to go after Eliza's sister. I didn't feel the character's actions always matched who they were. The ending didn't sit well with me either. It felt unfinished to me. Still it wasn't a bad read and anyone looking for some good steamy roman ...more
Trewen
According to the ratings, I apparently didn't get it.

I found this book to be so shallow, that I swear the characters only had the same two or three thoughts rambling around in their heads. And they were repeated over and over again through-out the whole story.
The hero even came across as a bit slimy to me.
And I wouldn't have been able to count how many times "loco, dick, and tits" were used in the story.
I gave it 2 stars because I at least finished it.
Anna
Eliza has lived all her live in a Mormon community, but she is a bookish girl, a scientist at core. Then, her father hires Grady Wolfe to hunt down Eliza’s sister, who has escaped to avoid being the third wife of an old abusive husband. Eliza follows Grady to save her sister.

The plot didn’t ring true, but I was willing to believe and I continued reading. But then, one morning, after three or four nights with Grady, she wakes up with her nipple being sucked and she wakes with an “Oh, my” in her m
Bookaholics
Jun 14, 2010 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
Ruthless Heart by Emma Lang
Western Historical- June 29th, 2010
4 stars

Ruthless Heart is a sweet western romance. Although the plot was serious the enjoyable and engaging characters made the story fun even playful to read. I particularly enjoyed the main characters journey as they discovered themselves and love.

Eliza is a member of the Latter Day Saints (AKA Mormons). Her entire life as a woman has been subjected to her father’s will and authority. As the plainer and less malleable older siste
Denise
I wish I could put my finger on just what I found so compelling in this book. It was borderline erotica, not a genre that I read. The H talked crudely, something else I just do not like at all. But it fit this character so well. He was crude, he was just plain bad almost unredeemingly so. But still, he pulled at my heart, he was well, adorable in a way. Lonely, he was very, very lonely.
Eliza and Grady were two complete opposites, yet they weren't in their needs.
Eliza was brought up in the LDS
Lisa
Sep 14, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: a-fict-series_
There is so much wrong with this book that just the thought of writing about them all is exhausting. Many things don't work--read some of the one and two stars comments and you'll get a sense of it. Historical inaccuracy is one of my biggest complaints. Eliza's character just doesn't jive for the times she lived in (no way to her reaction to Grady's first sexual advance) and some comments about Mormonism were inaccurate. (This from a reader on Amazon: The main character can't get an education be ...more
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
I gave this book two stars because the plot was decent, but I really had a hard time with the characters actions. Eliza had the potential to be a strong heroine (and in some ways she was), but her reactions to the physical aspect of her relationship didn't make sense. I would've killed Grady that first morning. I also found it hard to believe an intelligent woman would give up her virginity without a second thought. I know this is a sexist statement, but in those times a woman's virtue was one o ...more
Sunny☼
Eliza or Liz as Grady likes to call is a Morman who does not follow the faith, but prefers to do experiments and make inventions. Grady is a hired gun. Two less likely people to even meet yet alone fall in love.
Grady is hired to hunt down a run away bride, who just happens to be Eliza's sister. This is a road story. The relationship builds as these two travel many miles to the west looking for their mutual interest person.
The book is in many ways predictable but done in an enticing way that mak
Eileen
Nov 07, 2011 Eileen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cowboys, historical
Grady is harsh and dark next to an innocent and virginal Eliza. She does what she has to do in order to save her sister Angeline.
EL draws these two people together seeking the same person but for two different reasons. I am glad to see how Liz grows into a stronger woman being on the trail and how she cracks into Grady hard exterior. She doesn't want to change him but wants him to accept her love. That's what I like about her books.
Sandra
It was just ok.
Lisa Jo
Aug 27, 2011 Lisa Jo rated it really liked it
Ruthless Heart is tender story of the power of love and how it can take someone weak and make them strong or warm even the coldest of hearts. Fans of western historical romances reminiscent of the work by Joan Johnston or Johanna Lindsey will love Lang’s charming tale.

Eliza Hunter lives a sheltered life. As a member of her ward in the Latter Day Saints community, she has never really experienced the outside world. Everything she knows, she learned from books. Her father, caring little about the
Booklover1335
Sep 07, 2010 Booklover1335 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves historical romances especially those set in America
Shelves: 2010
Grady Wolfe is a dangerous, cynical and world weary bounty hunter/assassin for hire. He’s lost all hope in humanity and himself and feels that he is doomed to the life of a ruthless killer so he embraces it with a callous and cold heart. At least that is until he meets the tempting, and sometimes frustrating, yet intriguing Eliza Hunter.

Eliza is a subjugated soul yearning to break free from the restriction life that is dictated to her by her father and a religion that she no longer believes in.
Maura
Tiss
Mar 30, 2013 Tiss rated it really liked it
Eliza has never been out of the "ward" at the home where she lives. she is different and likes to read and experiment, which gets her into trouble with her father. Her sister was forced to marry a man she did not love and had a very hard time in the marriage and escaped with another wife and the husband has sent a bounty hunter to find them. Eliza overhears this and also wants to find her sister, so she follows the bounty hunter.
Of course she gets caught by him and fabricates a story as to why
Blodeuedd Finland
*coughs* Too much smexy times. Haha, yes that got your attention didn't it. So yes if you want your historical with lots of passion then this is the book for you. For me, eh, if I have read one scene I have read them all, I do not need several pages, and then again, and then again. I want to see them fall in love instead. But they wanted to do it like rabbits.

Great and now I forgot his name..Grady? *checks* Ok yes Grady is a bounty hunter, bad and bad. Eliza is a mormon who runs away after her s
Kathleen
Feb 09, 2012 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: western-romance
Eliza Hunter is a well-drawn, intriguing heroine. She wants to be an obedient daughter and a good Mormon, but a peck of curiosity and a scientific mind keep waylaying her best intentions. The same traits that cause her endless trouble with her church-elder father and her community serve her well during her cross-country adventure with hired killer Grady Wolfe.

Grady is less fascinating and less believable -- shallower somehow. Though he teeters on the verge of heroism in spots, in others readers
Regina
May 28, 2012 Regina rated it really liked it
Gosh, I love those vulnerable alpha heroes! Grady Wolfe was a loner with a harsh past and as rugged as they come. But he recognized his attraction to Eliza fairly early on. Also, I sure appreciate when a hero can admit to himself when he's falling--and falling hard--for his lady. I understand, too, that a person can learn new things from reading, but the things Eliza was doing after first learning from a book--tracking a rider, starting a campfire not to mention being on the trail alone for days ...more
Barbara ★
I really liked this. Bounty hunter Grady Wolfe is a loner with a terrible past. Orphaned at 15, he was on his own and survived the only way he could. When he takes on the bounty of finding Angeline Hunter, he meets her sister, Eliza. Well to say he meets her is kind of a misnomer. She finds him but doesn't tell him who she is or why she's following him. He does his best to lose her since he doesn't want to be bothered, he's a loner after all. But Eliza is tenacious and sticks to him like glue. E ...more
Tina
Jul 20, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it
Sensuality: 3 out of 5
Kink: vanilla

I loved this book! It had been on my list to buy for awhile but I have seen mixed reviews so I didn't want to get it at full price. Well I found it at Half Price Books and couldn't resist getting it! Sometimes westerns are hit and miss with me so I was really glad I loved this one. And it followed me watching True Grit and was a perfect follow up! The characters were believable and the romance between them went from convenience to love and it was so sweet tha
Lori
Jun 21, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it
My only qualm woth this book was that Eliza fell so quickly into bed with Grady without so much of a hint of insecurity or 2nd thought. Given her upbringing (which Lang points out that Eliza doesn't believe in) I still thought that she should have been a little hesitant. Otherwise I really enjoyed this book. I liked that there was a morally ambiguous hero, and the heroine accepted him for himself. And a very interesting premise. I'd like to see the LDS portrayed as something other than complete ...more
E_bookpushers
Jun 16, 2012 E_bookpushers rated it really liked it
The third book in this series was released by Samhain a couple of weeks ago. I was unable to find the first two books so I turned to twitter. Twitter responded and the author sent me the first two books. Thank you!

When I finished reading this one I immediately picked up the second one. Very interesting set-up. I loved how plucky the heroine was and how she decided to seize the opportunity to experience life. Some of the themes might make people uncomfortable and there are some stereotypes but th
Gayle
Sep 30, 2015 Gayle rated it really liked it
Don't read the previous reviews, I did and I through I was going to dislike this book but I was wrong! Granted I did agree that the steamy sections happened rather fast and rather unrealistic but it was a good read. Emma Lang is a good author anyway. I was missing some of the being pulled into the story feeling that I usually get, but towards the end it started picking up. Good read and I'm on to the next in the series.
Surekha R
Feb 05, 2012 Surekha R rated it it was amazing
I read this book sitting up the whole night.. It was that good..
There were couple of scenes that gave me butterflies in my stomach. The emotion between Eliza and Grady is just wrenching and the love play between them is just.....sigh.. I hunted for this book after reading the reviews and I'm very glad I did..
This is for people who like " on-the-move, travelling and closed setting type romances". Grady is a bad guy with an equally bad mouth but he's one who makes your heart flutter.

Jacky Faber
Grady and Eliza were great characters and the story was a good one. I enjoyed the banter between Grady and Eliza. They were very different people but they appreciated the strengths of each other. I give extra kudos for Grady appreciating and admiring Eliza's intelligence. Oh, and the sex scenes were pretty hot.
Lai
Dec 20, 2012 Lai rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
Love, love, love the chemistry between Eliza and Grady. Loved that they both brought out the best in each other. I'm not much for historical romances but I could not put this one down. This book shows you that love can bring out the best in all of us.
D
Dec 09, 2013 D rated it liked it
Recommends it for: folks who like their heros bow-legged and their heroines bespectacled
high 3s -- fairly damned good!

i largely found this funny, believable, and sufficiently moving. nice work, lang. i'll be checking out more of your stuff to figure out if you're the real deal or a flash in the pan.
Mydearloverboy
Sep 28, 2012 Mydearloverboy rated it it was amazing
great tension and hot romance;)
intriguing plot and it definitely made me cry...However, the ending was kind of abrupt like it will continue with the next book in the series...which I didn't really like...

otherwise, solid 5 stars for this one;)
Mitzi
This is a very good book. The virgin meets the bad bounty hunter. The dialogue was fun, the historical western setting was different and the chemistry/sex was hot. Looking forward to the next book in this series, but will probably wait/hope for the ebook price to come down.
Western and Medie...: July 2012 BOM "Ruthless Heart" 6 47 Jul 26, 2012 09:24PM
  • The Portrait
  • The Education of Madeline (Plum Creek, #1)
  • Texas Splendor (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • Rachel and the Hired Gun (Men of Defiance, #1)
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • The Improper Bride (Sisters of Scandal, #5)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
Emma Lang is the pseudonym of author Beth Williamson. She is an award-winning, bestselling author of both historical and erotic romances.

Born and raised in New York, she holds a B.F.A. in writing from New York University. She lives just outside of Raleigh, North Carolina, with her husband and two sons.
More about Emma Lang...

Heart (3 books)
  • Restless Heart (Heart, #2)
  • Endless Heart (Heart, #3)