The Surgeon's Wife

The Surgeon's Wife

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the summer of 1985, in his exclusive Upper East Side Manhattan apartment, Robert Bierenbaum, a prominent surgeon and certified genius, strangled his wife Gail to death. He then drove her body to an airstrip in Caldwell, N.J., and dumped it into the Atlantic Ocean from a single-engine private plane. The next day he reported her missing.

Gail's parents had been thrilled to...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published September 17th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Surgeon's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surgeon's Wife

PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I really have to give it up to Mr. Crowley, the author of this book. He did a spectacular job in portraying both sides of this case. I must say that after reading this and all of the evidence, I am not so sure that Dr. Bierenbaum should be sitting in that jail cell right now.

Gail clearly had her own issues when she disappeared & although I am not a supporter of reading all of the victim's dirty laundry in the true crime books I often read, in this case I think it was extremely important for...more
Tree
Amber
This books was mediocre. It wasn't too badly written but there were parts that were a bit redundant and though it's a sad story and the guy is a psychopath it was hard to get into it or to feel a connection to the victim as she was a conniving manipulator who was really just using her husband anyways. It's sad to think that not only did she lose her life, she didn't even get a chance to experience real love and instead wasted her time with an abusive man that she didn't even love anyways.
Karen & Gerard
The Surgeon’s Wife by Kieran Crowley is the true story of Gail and Robert Bierenbaum. Once married, their marriage went south in a hurry. One day Gail is no longer around. Did Robert kill her? I got into this book fast. The trial part of the book was fascinating. I know this book is like ten years old, but it’s very good!
Janet
This was an interesting story, but I think the author tried to write in Anne Rule's style and he just didn't succeed. The book is very long and the narrative is rambling with many repeats of information that had already been given. There are better true crime books out there, so avoid this one.
Janice
Experienced writer, Kieran Crowley, does a skillful job retelling the story of how a young, impulsive doctor's crime, committed against his wife, comes back to haunt him 14 years later. I gave this book 4 stars and recommend it as a choice true crime read.
Gail
A truw crime. Not the kind of book I would normally read, but it was pretty interesting. It started kind of slow, and I almost gave up reading it, but the second half picked up and I really got into it.
LoquaciousHeiress AKA Empress of Verbosity :P
IT DRAGGED. ON And ON about minutiae I am not even sure why it was in there. Not a favourite, but will read Kieran Crowley again!
Mike
Not too great, got bored at chapter 42
Jami
Wierd guy I'm glad he got convicted.
MrsBlackmore
MrsBlackmore marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Matthew Wilhite
Matthew Wilhite marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Janna
Janna added it
May 31, 2014
Pammykay0
Pammykay0 marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
William Reed
William Reed marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Mirjam Penning
Mirjam Penning marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
KIERAN CROWLEY is a New York Times bestselling crime author and investigative reporter who has received communication from an actual serial killer and deciphered his secret code. Crowley has covered hundreds of trials and thousands of murders and recovered evidence missed by police at numerous crime scenes, some of which helped bring killers to Justice. He lives in New York with his family.
More about Kieran Crowley...
Almost Paradise: The East Hampton Murder of Ted Ammon Burned Alive: A Shocking True Story of Betrayal, Kidnapping, and Murder Sleep My Little Dead: The True Story of the Zodiac Killer Almost Paradise: The East Hampton Murder of Ted Ammon Dr Death