Start by marking “Midnight Crystal (Dreamlight Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #9; Harmony, #7)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Crystal (Dreamlight Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #9; Harmony, #7)
Preview

Midnight Crystal (Dreamlight Trilogy #3)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  3,659 ratings  ·  205 reviews
It began with Krentz...continued with Quick...and now it will end with Castle.

Book Three of the Dreamlight trilogy.

For many earthly centuries, a legendary curse has plagued the Winters family, stemming from the tumultuous founding of the Arcane Society. But now, on the futuristic world of Harmony, the curse's final mystery will be unraveled...

Head of the ghost hunters guil
Mass Market Paperback, UK, 368 pages
Published September 2nd 2010 by Piatkus Books (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Crystal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Crystal

Cindy
A great read - it gives us what we're paying for when we buy Quick/Krentz/Castle novels: Tightly plotted stories with great suspense, characters you want to know, and cameos and references to characters you already know.

The order is complicated - really, really complicated.

Here's the order for the Harmony books:
Harmony World series
6. Dark Light (2008)
7. Obsidian Prey (2009)
Harmony (omnib
Mojca
Midnight Crystal: Book Three of the Dreamlight Trilogy (Arcane Society Series #9) Another wonderful installment in this series. For someone not familiar with the futuristic world of Harmony (and let me tell you, it’s a little different from the one of St. Helen), this book might represent a little of a challenge at first, what with all the new terms, the history, the psi ruins, weapons etc., but once you get into it, you’ll love it, even if you find it difficult to grasp sometimes. For most read ...more
Zana
*sigh*

Okay, so the characters were not so repugnant as in the last book of hers that I read, but that's about all I can say that's positive in this book.

First, we have futuristic world with no worldbuilding. None. It's the 21st century, transplanted onto an alien planet (with no aliens) and NO OTHER CHANGES. Except we call it the 23rd. Right.

Also, this is the third book in a series that has built up all along to the foreshadowed CALAMITY that was supposed to be the pivot point of the final book.
Melindeeloo
Midnight Crystal, the final book in the Dreamlight trilogy which has spanned the Arcane Society's history past, present and finally future – and all three Castle/Krentz/Quick nom de plumes - finishes up on the futuristic world of Harmony where almost everyone has some degree of paranormal talent. This story was my favorite of the three in the trilogy - and better than the last Harmony/Ghosthunter book too.

Midnight Crystal brings together the descendants of former enemies Sylvester Jones and Nich
Maria
10-16-2010: I was thrilled to find this book on my last visit to the bookstore. Needless to say I read it as soon after purchase as possible and probably too fast, because I can't seem to get enough of JAK to begin with, even re-reading her books almost every year. This one I particularly enjoyed. Her characterization of Marlowe Jones is masterly and I loved Marlowe's cool mature approach to every situation even when her heart was trying to jump out of her body in trepidation. Marlowe is a femal ...more
Kristen
When I read Midnight Crystal by Jayne Castle, I'm transported to a futuristic post-Earth world. She really created her own for the setting of the story. Right from the start, we're introduced to Adam Winters and Marlowe Jones, two people from rival families. From the start, we learn about their history and background. You can't miss the sparks flying between them. The chemistry is there. I rooted for them to come together and tempt Fate. Still, they took us to a new kind of world, the underworld ...more
Joy
The Harmony series has settled into a vein of solid pleasure, without the thrill of the first in the series, AFTER GLOW. Something has fallen out of its proper rhythms in the underworld that was built by Harmony's ancient alien population. If the power source crashes it could destroy the entire underworld. The current representatives of the Winters and Jones families must find and use the Lamp to recalibrate it. Will the sexual nature of their joined energies backfire and endanger their mission? ...more
Metaspinster
So although I've read all of the previous Arcane Society books, this is my first Harmony book. And although it did seem more jargony (?) because it's a future-sf/f setting, I was able to quickly figure out what all the new scifi-ish terms meant in context. But, I think I prefer the Victorian England and contemporary American setting of the books written under the Amanda Quick and Jayne Ann Krenz pennames all the same.

And as I noted in my reviews of the first two books in the "Dreamlight Trilogy
Barbara
There's a good deal going on in this book and all of it fun. Ms. Krentz/Castle wraps up her Dreamlight story arc with this futuristic story set in her long-established Harmony world.
We encounter the Burning Lamp again as Adam Winters needs it to keep from going crazy--those pesky family curses, don't you know. And this time his dreamlight reader is Marlowe Jones (of the Arcane Society Jones & Jones).
Adam is an alpha male, alright, but pretty civilized. Marlowe is a very competent woman with
Patty
I have been enjoying books by Jayne Ann Krentz (and any of her various other names) for many years, going back into the 1980's. Although they often follow a similar formula she always manages to bring something new a fresh to the story.

This is the third, and final, book in the Dreamlight Trilogy but also the ninth Arcane book and the seventh Harmony book. Takes some serious talent and planning to bring together three different series, keep track of the "history" of all three series and manage to
Melody
The Dreamlight Trilogy united the nom de plumes of author Jayne Anne Krentz by joining her contemporary voice with Amanda Quick's historicals and Jayne Castle's other-worldly novels. Midnight Crystal was the last in the trilogy, and Jayne does not disappoint. Marlowe Jones is a dreamlight talent and has been heading up J&J Investigations for the past three months. Adam Winters is the new Boss of the Frequency Guild, a direct descendant of Nicholas Winters, and the apparent recipient of the W ...more
Ashley♥Alexis
I love those dust bunnies. Each Harmony dust bunny is so unique. I was bummed that this was only a 3 book series but also happy to see the end of it. I know there are only so much you can do with finding a lamp but the Winters family plays a huge role in the Jones family and the fact that they founded the Arcane Society i felt that the Winters family never really got enough coverage. With that being said i'm glad the series ended with the Winters and Jones reconciliation. I love love love the wo ...more
An Odd1
Motorcycle riding dreamlight reading gal Marlowe Jones matches Adam Winter, as usual super-strong hunter guild boss. Both search for the earth artifact 'lamp' rumored to heal him. And, oh ya, the alien power-source for the whole world approaching meltdown.

Author Jayne Castle combines futuristic amber tuned crystal energy planet Harmony with her alter ego Krentz's psychic PI Jones agency and alias Amanda Quick's historical Arcane Society, mystery and all their explicit romance. Sometimes I wonde
Lexie
Prelim review: Honestly speaking I really dislike when authors do crossovers for their different genres--I'm an OCD sort of reader so I feel an urge to read all the other books. Despite not being that interested in the Arcane Society.

So I'm ignoring that this is part of a trilogy.

As a new Harmony novel it was fascinating because it gave a lot more clues away about the world and the aliens then we've gotten in recent books. Also Dust Bunnies were featured more prominently (I really would like a D
Jackie
In Midnight Crystal, the reader finds herself back on the world of Harmony and it’s fun to realize that members of the Arcane Society and the Jones & Jones Agency have emigrated along with the ordinary colonists. Midnight Crystal is the final installment of the Dreamlight Trilogy, which focuses on a lamp created by the alchemist Nicholas Winters. This lamp is a family heirloom of the disappearing variety and it regularly has to be found so that the current scion of the family can keep his pa ...more
Sheila Melo
End of the Dreamlight Trilogy

MIDNIGHT CRYSTAL is the third and final book in the Dreamlight Trilogy. It is the story of Adam Winters and Marlowe Jones. The Winters and Jones families have been at the heart of Arcane Society since its founding in the seventeenth century when two alchemists with paranormal talents were at first friends and then bitter enemies. Both tried to enhance their paranormal abilities with dangerous consequences. Nicholas Winters used the Burning Lamp to enhance his talent
Gina
Midnight Chrystal (Harmony #7, Arcane Society #9) by Jayne Castle

I'm really liking these sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal books by Jayne Castle (aka Jayne Ann Krentz). The women are strong and capable; the romance and sex doesn't take over the story and the stories are interesting, and the world-building is good. Humans left Earth a couple of hundred years ago and colonized Harmony before the curtain between Earth and Harmony closed forever. A previous alien culture left behind mysterious psi-green qua
Carrie
Reading these books is kind of like being confronted with a bag of kettle chips or a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies, you just start cramming them in and it's fun (lots of fun) but it ends too soon...

Sidenote: Gibson- best pet/sidekick/assistant yet; a pool that includes Marlene and Katie (ala Jennifer Crusie)

Further off to the side: I didn't know that the author used to be a librarian- rock on!
Donna
I absolutely loved the first 2 books in this trilogy, but this one was a little disappointing. I found the "midnight crystal" episode did not live up to my expectation and was actually a little silly. The romance between Marlowe and Adam was never really developed. And the Arcane society bit about the triplets and the Cerebrus talent felt just thrown in there. It was like there was this big build up to the finish, but this book couldn't quite deliver.
Lisa
I liked Midnight Crystal quite a bit. It was a solid end to the Burning Lamp trilogy. The hero, Adam, and heroine, Marlowe, were both solid characters who fit well together. They both had their own psychic gifts and could handle themselves in a fight. Marlowe was tough and smart without crossing the line into stubborn and foolish the way some heroines do. Adam was masculine and protective without being overbearing or patronizing.

The plot moved along at a pretty good pace with a lot of action sce
Gamatst
I "read" this one via audiobook. Loved it just as I have all the other Castle Ghosthunter books. Tanya Eby was a new narrator for this series and she did an excellent job. It was a nice change up in voices and in some attitude.

JAK is a comfort read for me, whenever I pick them up I know what I'm going to get and I always enjoy it.
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Jayne Castle
First published: 2010
Length: 372 pages
Setting: Future. Frequency City on Harmony.
Sex: Reasonably frequent but mostly fade to black. Not a big deal for the story.
Hero: Newly made head of Ghost Hunters Guild. Thinks he's becoming a cerberus. Can do something paranormal (I was never quite sure what).
Heroine: Newly made head of J&J. Dreamlight Reader.
Includes: Excerpts from Fired Up by Jayne Ann Krentz and Burning Lamp by Amanda Quick

Despite clearl
Pat aka Tygyr
I like the Arcane Series and this is the 3rd in the Dreamlight Trilogy, but the 7th in the overall series. This book takes place on Harmony in the future. Adam Winters is the new head of the local Ghost Hunter Guild. His ancestor was into alchemy and actually changed the DNA of his lineage. In some eras the worst of the changes occur in a male of the line. It starts with hallucinations and nightmares. The male's psychic gifts become more uncontrollable, he can go quite mad. Adam is having halluc ...more
Micii
Maybe because it involved Arcane but I really enjoyed this book. It was nice to see some strings tied off that are hinted at in other books.
Kathy
Michelle Randall
Somewhere in the future, on a world called Harmony, life has evolved. Para-senses have developed and life has changed, but mysteries still abound.

There is just something about the world of Harmony, something that makes me wish it really existed. The men are stronger and sexier, the women know what they want and are strong and independent. It's like a better version of life.

This book fits in the Acrane Society and the futuristic series. It is an awesome read.

We return to the Jones family, founder
Lauren
Midnight Crystal
3 Stars

Disclaimer: This is book #7 in the Harmony series and book #9 in the Arcane Society series. While I have read all of the previous Krentz and Quick (Arcane) books, this is my first Jayne Castle (Harmony) book and my review is probably influenced by a complete lack of background on this series and the world created within.

The story and characters are entertaining but the futuristic world is not my cup of tea.

The story is actually comprised of four separate subplots - Is Ada
Linda Andrews
In the distant future on the planet of Harmony, Adam Winters finds himself in need of a dream light reader to help break a family curse more than six centuries in the making. Complicating matters is his promotion to head of the Ghost Hunter Guild, a quasi-governmental bureau that is ripe with corruption. Dreamlight reader, Marlowe Jones seems to be the answer to his needs, unfortunately she heads up the Guild's rival, the Arcane Society.

Midnight Crystal is the last book of the Dreamlight Trilogy
Barbara
I can’t help myself. These are very predictable books, especially the trilogies. There are no real surprises. They follow a formula. However, for some reason, I find that formula enjoyable, rather than boring.

I must say, however; I was reluctant to start this book. The “formulaic” aspect is what made me wonder why I am still reading these books. I really didn’t want to go through it all again – just with different people and situations. It turned out that his didn’t matter. I liked the book.

I r
Shannon
Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle has been one of my favorite authors for years. Her characters are quirky and fun, and her stories always have some mystery, some romance, and plenty of action (no, not just THAT kind of action, either!) Her books are not works of art; just fun HEA reads. She is a very consistent writer, and I have yet to be disappointed.
Midnight Crystal is the 3rd book in the dreamlight trilogy, following the historical Amanda Quick novel Burning Lamp and the contempora
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Narrator 4 25 Apr 20, 2013 03:31AM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Midnight Crystal (2010) Arcane 9, Dreamlight 3 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 10:55AM
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Castle...

Dreamlight Trilogy (3 books)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
After Dark (Harmony #1) Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1) Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Harmony, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12) Silver Master (Harmony #4) Ghost Hunter (Harmony #3)