Start by marking “Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many” as Want to Read:
Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many

Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews

Prior to the terror-filled times of the Long War—the seemingly endless struggle against the Undine, a paranoid, shape-shifting race once known only as Species 8472—enemy sleeper agents quietly penetrated every echelon of Federation society, as well as other starfaring civilizations throughout the Alpha and Beta quadrants. The ensuing conflict shook humanity to its very cor
Published March 30th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek Online, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek Online

Luca Mauri
Dec 26, 2013 Luca Mauri rated it liked it
Shelves: finished, on, aug, star, trek, 2010, sci-fi, 21, online
The time-line represented in Star Trek Online is currently the most far point in the franchise story and the idea of a novel bridging post-TNG and post Countdown to this new instance is surely interesting.
However, the novel almost exclusively concentrate on the Undine (aka Species 8472) war, only scratching the surface of the various political changes that took place before.
Most notably the dissolution of the second Khitomer accord and the subsequent Klingon war are just a background during the
Jimyanni
Feb 16, 2013 Jimyanni rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This book was told in the style of a history as told to an interviewer; in this case, the "interviewer" was the character Jake Sisko, which is why he's given "co-author" credit on the cover (a concept which I found to be a silly affectation). The idea is that in the year 2409 CE, he is interviewing various individuals about the war with what Trek fans will recognize as "Species 8472", their Borg designation as related by Seven of Nine in the Voyager series.

The interviews are reasonably well-craf
Ross Vincent
May 05, 2013 Ross Vincent rated it really liked it
This was an amazing great book. I was a bit concern about a Trek book being based on a video game- the dynamic, ever changing nature of video games make having a book based on it a bit disconcerting. (Biggest Example I can think of is the first King’s Quest book…). But this one- well, it more than lived up to the hope that it would be great.
The novel is written as a series news reports, letters, and interviews by Jake Sisko with other people around the quadrants, all concerning the Long War (a
Tony Laplume
Jul 29, 2013 Tony Laplume rated it really liked it
Better than the last Star Trek book I've read (Watching the Clock) though incredibly similar in a lot of ways.

I used to read Star Trek books all the time, back when I was in middle and high school. In fact, I was reading this stuff just before going to college. It was one of the things I quit in that transition, and something I almost never got back into.

But as with all addictions, relapse sits waiting, and you're able to convince yourself that your old vices weren't as bad as they once seemed.
Rowan
Dec 20, 2012 Rowan rated it liked it
I originally reviewed this book on my own blog in May, 2010:

So I have finally finished The Needs of the Many by Michael A. Martin (and Jake Sisko), the first "novel" set in the Star Trek Online era of the Star Trek Universe. I put "novel" in quotes because the book does not follow the typical story/plot format of most novels. It is a series of "interviews" with various prominent and obscure characters from the three TNG era television series and novels, interspersed with documents and publicatio
Mogsy (MMOGC)
The first thing I want to say is, I did not expect that much from this book.

That said, it’s not like I ever expect much from any book based on a video game, but I do like reading them for background information. And I’ll confess, I would not have even considered checking out The Needs of the Many if I wasn’t subscribed to Star Trek Online. Before this, STO players only had The Path to 2409 (included in the book’s appendix) to rely on for the story elements behind the game, and here’s the problem
Stefan
Apr 25, 2012 Stefan rated it it was amazing
Is this Star Trek?,

One is for sure it's a heck hell of a different universe than trekkies have known for years. This book only follows the continuity as seen on-screen, so don't wonder if you read a lot of stuff you remember differently. This isn't the authors fault but rather a deliberate decision to ignore that piece of star trek history the explanation therefore is within this book. But the author does an amazing to write a story which sheer broadness seems amazing and is unique for a single
Paul
Apr 15, 2010 Paul rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
I’m really not sure what I expected of this book. It’s a book “based on” the game “Star Trek Online “but, then it’s not.

I originally believed this would be a novelization based on a story line in the online game itself. As I read it, I discovered it was more of a history book containing interviews with various characters set several years after the “Long War” with the Undine (Species 8472).

I’m not sure how this book relates to the online game itself, since most of the information I’ve seen does
Markus Korpela
Really dissapointing. Star Trek with the style of World War Z sounded really awesome at first, BUT where World War Z was able to tell whole story of "war" with different angles, beginning, middle, and end (not to mention aftermath), with reader able to fill in the blanks between, The Needs of the Many kept bouncing around from person to another, from time to another. There was no comprehensive story here. Whole time it is was said, that The Undine War was "terror filled" etc, but I didn't get th ...more
Anni
Apr 11, 2015 Anni rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek
I think this is the first Star Trek book that I didn't finish. I didn't like anything about it: the format, the presentation of the story, the story itself (lengthy description of a baseball game - a game I don't know anything about and am not interested in - was the worst of it). Only the timeline at the end was interesting, and my guess is that it's because I play the game, so I have the context for it.
Angela
Set in the future, as in the Star Trek Online game. Jake Sisko decides to interview people who have been involved with the Undine War. This involves: Worf, Janeway, Seven, LeForge, Maddox, Quark and many more. It is a clever way of telling stories, and is easy to read in short bits. A good read.
Norbert
May 10, 2010 Norbert rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
The book follows the Star Trek tradition of taking that worked in another incarnation and retrofitting it for their very clean universe. In this case, the book is written by "Jake Sisko" (son of Deep Space 9's Captain Sisko; DS9 was itself a copy of Babylon 5) in an "Oral History" format, a la "World War Z". (I'm writing a book in this format, so year, I recognize a thing or two.) It also goes into a portion of their history that seems to borrow from the Yuuzahan Vong War in Star Wars. Still, if ...more
Chris Simms
Jul 26, 2013 Chris Simms rated it did not like it
What a total waste of time, effort and electrons. This is the best someone could come up with to tell the story of 2409? There's been better writing in this game since launch, this book gives Michael Martin and Trek books in general a very bad name. This book smells of tasteless marketing rather than the genuine creative sparks of heart and adventure that the book series has been known for. Avoid this book, even free you'll want a refund for the life you'll have wasted reading it.
Ren
Dec 28, 2010 Ren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Admittedly, you're not going to like this book all that much unless you already have a character in the MMORPG that it's based on fairly engrossed in the story. Otherwise, it works really well, and ties in neatly enough with the game AND the recent J.J. Abrams movie. The text implies that just about every single player in-game is now officially part of this canon...which is, admittedly, awesome. Nothing like saving the universe on the USS I'm On A Boat.
Jeff
Nov 09, 2010 Jeff marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Camille, Tom, Jeff
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered on the Library Shelves
A new Star Trek "thread" to follow! The cover lists Jake Sisko as co-author and the premise of Jake interviewing participants, survivors, and soldiers of the Undine War, gives the novel an immediate and intimate quality that is tight and a pleasure to get lost in. Also, pretty cool that the author chose this format to pay tribute to the late Studs Terkel.

Haven't played the MMPOG the novel is based on.
Wesley
Apr 20, 2010 Wesley rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Written in a very unique style. I don't know Star Trek at all and the whole timeline appendix was very helpful.

The interview with LaForge made the whole book worthwhile....even made up for the stupid Gorn diplomatic baseball game, which made no sense...
Bernard Doddema Jr
May 03, 2010 Bernard Doddema Jr rated it really liked it
It was a different format than what I'm used to with a Star Trek book but honestly, it didn't take away from it. The book was basically one big interview by Jake Sisko.

The story that intrigued me the most was the "resurrection" of Data.
Michael
Jan 15, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Pretty good.

The format of "interviewer/interviewee" is new, especially in the realm of Star Trek books.
But having Jake Sisko as the "author" was wonderfully enjoyable.
Butch Rosenbalm
Enjoyed this future history about thru Trek path to the online game.
Allisson Reed
Jul 09, 2011 Allisson Reed rated it did not like it
very confusing - I'm not sure I'm going to finnish this one.
Brian
May 05, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, trek
Not quite what I was expecting, but overall I enjoyed it.
Martin Milhomme
Martin Milhomme marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Jennie Lanz
Jennie Lanz marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Desply
Desply marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
T
T marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Rod Simmons
Rod Simmons marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Julie Soden
Julie Soden marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Thurman
Thurman marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Echoes and Refractions (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #2)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Immortal Coil (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #64)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)