Start by marking “Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)

Personal Demons (Personal Demons #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,927 Ratings  ·  887 Reviews
Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him.

What she doesn't know is that Luc
Published September 14th 2010 by Tor Teen

The Iron King by Julie KagawaHex Hall by Rachel HawkinsBefore I Fall by Lauren OliverThe Body Finder by Kimberly DertingParanormalcy by Kiersten White
2010 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade Literature)
10th out of 289 books — 2,062 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFallen by Lauren KateCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
YA Angels
25th out of 341 books — 1,683 voters

More lists with this book...

Sophie Riggsby
Sep 13, 2010 Sophie Riggsby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chemistry-101
4.5 out of 5 stars

Dear Luc,
I wasn't supposed to fall for you. You see, you are everything I don't like. I mean let's start with the obvious, shall we Mr. Cain? You are a DEMON. And as a Mundie Mom I prefer my fictional boy interests to be more, you know, angelic?

But then I met you and things changed. I loved how Lisa switched between your point-of-view and Frannie's. I'm glad she didn't show your counterpart's, Gabe's. After all, he is the obvious Good Guy. I didn't want to know anything more ab
Tatiana
Aug 23, 2010 Tatiana rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of Evermore, Hush, Hush, Shiver, Beautiful Creatures, Fallen
Recommended to Tatiana by: Goodreads giveaway
First, I would like to thank Goodreads and the author of this novel - Lisa Desrochers - for awarding me an ARC of Personal Demons. I never win anything, so getting this giveaway was extremely exciting. As much as I am grateful, however, I can't bring myself to give the book a rave review.

I am always sad to see authors squander away their great story ideas. So is the case with Personal Demons. It has a great premise - a demon and an angel fighting for the soul of a seemingly ordinary girl. Imagin
Karen
Sep 15, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok
Nomes

Honestly, I found this novel just too tacky for my tastes.

A few quick thoughts ~ things that didn't work for me:

Frannie says she never swoons over guys and within the next two chapters all she's doing is swooning. Within the first few chapters four hot guys are falling all over Frannie. It made me feel sceptical and weary from the outset.

The alternating POV was quite unconvincing in Luc's chapters. It didn;t read like a male POV, much less one of a character who is meant to have lived
Kody Keplinger
Mar 24, 2010 Kody Keplinger rated it it was amazing
Whatever you do, don't lump PERSONAL DEMONS in with all the other paranoraml or urban fantasy love triangles out right now. Trust me, it's so, so much more.

PERSONAL DEMONS is clever, heartwrenching, fun, intriguing, intense, and sexy. Frannie is a well developed protagonist with flaws and feelings and a brain (thank God) and Luc is, by all means, both a love interest and a villain, who never crosses the line into "creepy" as so many characters like him could easily do.

I loved this book for its c
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
Is this book for real? Frannie is disgusting! Not only does she switch from Gabe to Luc every other minute, but she's also exremely selfish and shows no compassion or love for anyone, except her grandpa and her dead brother. She claims to love Luc, yet, after this absurd declaration, she proceeds to make out/cuddle with Gabe IN FRONT OF LUC! And, of course, vice versa, throughout the ENTIRE BOOK. And then, if Luc so much as GLANCES at another girl, she flips out of her mind and threatens to murd ...more
Courtney Allison Moulton
Apr 05, 2010 Courtney Allison Moulton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I loved PERSONAL DEMONS! Frannie is a kind, smart girl who questions the world around her and made for a very interesting narrator. She really holds her own in a story filled with powerful, supernatural creatures. The other narrator... Oh my. Finally! A bad boy done RIGHT! Luc is sexy and written with a realistic male voice, and he and Frannie have so much depth to their characters. I was never bored once while reading this and only put it down once. The exciting overall story arc has me itching ...more
Marg K.
Aug 28, 2010 Marg K. rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star-rating
Let’s begin with the plot. It was rather simple, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, since it makes for a light, breezy read. Sadly the downside is that for the first half of the book, nothing really happens. The three main characters have varying interactions with one another but not in any truly meaningful or riveting way that made me want to care. Sure, there was a lot of flirting, raging hormones, glaring, obsessing, and kissing, but no real substance. When the action did pick up and Franni ...more
MissHavoc {Cry Havoc! Reviews}
Luc, so hot! I love a bad boy, but when that said bad boy is trying to redeem himself? Even hotter! Anyway, great new book about fighting one's destiny against the forces of Heaven and Hell.

Frannie is the black sheep in her very religious Catholic family. Never having recovered from a childhood accident, she blames herself for the life lost and finds Hell knocking on her door.

Enter Luc. Cool, swave, break-your neck kinda hot. He's out to tag Frannie for Hell, and he'll stop at nothing to claim h
Lina
I would like to apologize for this harsh review, because it really is not the fault of the writer as a whole. Her book is just another notch on my annoyance towards Angel/Demon young adult fiction as a whole. If I had not read Once Dead, Twice Shy and that abysmal book Fallen, I might not find this book so repulsive. For a debut novel is not bad in terms of writing. However, the plot leaves a lot to be desired.

First of all, the portrayal of demons and angels in this book is just pathetic. The ma
Katerina Kondrenko
1 out of 10

It started like an ok book but it was getting worse and worse as it was going on. My eyes are hurt, my brain could die if not Shadow and Bone healing sessions. Maybe I'll tell you what this book was like later, just to save your time and nerves. Right now just believe me - you don't want to read this crazy senseless thing.
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Jul 25, 2010 Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha) rated it it was amazing
Review ComingPersonal Demons centres around Frannie (Mary Francis to be exact) & Lucifer Cain (Luc for short). Frannie’s family are heavy into religion, Frannie questions it after a loss.. so much so she gets thrown out of Catholic School in grade 7. Frannie is now 17 & when Luc enrolls in her High School she wants him. Luc wants Frannie to, but for a different reason.

Luc happens to work in Acquisitions for Hell & he has came to make Frannie’s soul for Hell as she has a unique abilit
Monica
Nov 12, 2010 Monica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I was giddy with excitement as I started this book and I read it straight through in one sitting, ok, with a few random 'OMG' tweets between pages and chapters. This book definitely did not disappoint. I love most of all, since it seems to be becoming a pattern in book recently, that the ending did not have a cliff-hanger. There is definitely enough opening for a second novel but I wasn't left with that 'stolen puppy' feeling and my mouth hanging open.

I am unable to eloquently break this book do
Mary (BookHounds)
Don't place this book in with the rash of paranormal romances directed at teens lately. This has everything and more than any adult novel out today has to offer. There is romance, tension and intrigue all with a PG rating. I think that the author had to work twice as hard to write this one since the story line didn't rely on sexual situations to get to the point. All I can say is that Frannie is one feisty character. She doesn't do what she is supposed to and doesn't act the way she should. She ...more
K.
A rant. Here we go:

Disappointing. I couldn't get past Chapter 15 (which is just a bit more than half way so I feel like I gave this a fair shot).

So.

The book advertises itself as a paranormal romance, a tug-of-war between Heaven and Hell, seductively represented by two obviously gorgeous guys called Gabe(riel) and Luc(ifer). Guess who's on what team! And that's exactly what you get. No more, no less.

Personal Demons is as narrow a book as I've ever come across. I was honestly gutted when by page
Crystal
Aug 23, 2010 Crystal rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, 2010
Katie
Aug 16, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, arc
Another 4.5-er! Personal Demons had me up late and early to finish it. I couldn't get enough of Luc! He was sexy, sultry, and hilarious! (Couldn't find a synonym for 'funny' that started with the letter S)Oooh! How about sinfully humorous? That seems to fit very well with this one! The only two things that upset me a little were Frannie and the stereotypes.

Frannie was a bit all over the place in this love triangle between the angel and the demon. At times, I wasn't even sure who she would end up
Andrea Cremer
Jan 27, 2010 Andrea Cremer rated it it was amazing
Lisa Desrochers' debut is fantastic, full of shivers, surprises, and sultry romance. You'll be laughing one moment and shrieking the next - such a great read!
Bookaholics
Sep 14, 2010 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers
Paranormal Romance - September 14th, 2010
4 stars

This was a fun and exciting new series with darker tones about how one girl can change the fate of Heaven and Hell.

Frannie is a good Catholic girl. But she has a secret. She doesn’t believe in God. Ever since her brother died she knows he doesn’t exist. On a downward spiral Frannie is wondering if being a good girl is really worth it….

Dark, dangerous and sinfully delicious. Luc AKA Lucifer has come to Frannie’s sc
Kendare Blake
Aug 02, 2010 Kendare Blake rated it it was amazing
Sympathy for the Devil? Not so much. But sympathy for a demon? Absolutely. In Personal Demons, Frannie, a world-toughened Catholic girl with faith problems winds up in the middle of a tug-of-war between heaven and hell, with an angel and a demon both fighting for her soul. Of course, they quickly find themselves fighting over more than that.

Luc (the demon) and Gabe (the angel) both make for intriguing leading men. In fact, some of the most riveting scenes in the book are the ones where the two a
Lisa
Aug 30, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I must say I have read alot of vampire and werewolf books, but angels and demons was new for me. I thought the book was very well written, with the expception of the overuse of 'cause, and this mostly bothered the English teacher in me! LOL

Personal Demons is about a high school girl, Frannie, and the struggles she faces while trying to overcoming the guilt she has from her past as well as being fought over by two very attractive males. Unbeknownst to her, the two very attractive males just happe
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I stopped reading Personal Demons twice. In the beginning, it was full of your typical teenage drama- new hot guy, jealous best friend, newer hot guy, love triangle, raging hormones, etc. Even when you add in the part that the new hot guy is a demon, the newer hot guy is an angel and the potential love triangle has epic implications; I found the story boring. Because of my boredom with the book, I put it down twice and had no desire to continue to read it.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago. I
Katie(babs)
Feb 26, 2011 Katie(babs) added it
Shelves: dnf-award
Unfortunately I had to DNF Personal Demons. I found the writing a bit too ho-hum and the whole play on the angel and demon scenario wore thin very quickly. And when your main characters act more like immature kids better suited in grade school and not thousand plus year old supernatural creatures, along with a heroine who is considered to be a rebel on the sole basis of her thinking naughty thoughts, you can’t help but wonder what the author is trying to get across. This is a very tame, lacking ...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 07, 2010 Dark Faerie Tales rated it did not like it
Quick & Dirty: Unfortunately, Personal Demons delivers unlikable and clichéd characters, which does nothing to help the formulaic and underdeveloped plot.

Opening Sentence: If there’s a Hell on Earth, it’s high school.

The Review:

Luc Cain is on a mission. Luc is a First Level, 7,000 year old demon sent from the underworld to tag Frannie Cavanaugh’s soul. Frannie, a “good” catholic girl is going through a rebellious phase, battling her “wicked” streak. She’s ripe for the picking. As events unfo
Maria
Dec 17, 2010 Maria rated it really liked it
WOW! So much smexy hotness in one book, I’m surprised the book didn’t burst into flame!

Frannie is the "rebel" middle sister in a Catholic family. By rebel I mean, she doesn’t go to Catholic school (actually she was asked to leave) and she definitely doesn’t believe in God. After a tragic loss when she was a child, Frannie keeps everyone at a distance and doesn’t believe in love…until Luc Cain enrolls at Haden (Hades) High that is. Luc is as tempting as they come, and Frannie, well she can’t sta
Bailey (IB Book Blogging)
Sep 02, 2010 Bailey (IB Book Blogging) rated it it was amazing
Personal Demons was so unique and amazing. The idea behind the book was very original, with Heaven and Hell fighting for Frannie's special soul. Nothing in the story was predictable and I found myself gasping at new revelations and surprises!

Frannie was such a joy! I loved how she was the rebel in her goody-goody Catholic family. I found it extremely amusing that her and her sisters had the same first name, Mary. What kind of crazy parents would do this to their poor daughters?! Talk about confu
Carolina
Aug 26, 2010 Carolina rated it it was amazing
The subject matter alone should have been enough to dissuade me from taking this book, because I do not DO scary. But man, I love me a good bad boy story. And a demon? Talk about the ultimate bad boy. Plus, I have a particular fixation with angels (the other paranormal in PERSONAL DEMONS), so, I wasn’t NOT going to read it.

Still, I didn’t dive in. I waded, keeping my guard up. But before I knew it, I was sucked in anyway. The book simply devoured me. Quite easily. The writing, for one, is specta
Kristi
Nov 05, 2010 Kristi rated it liked it
When I first heard about Personal Demons with the tagline "if you had to choose between heaven and hell...." I mean it would be obvious, right. I almost scoffed at the idea.... how could this be a competition... there's only one right answer, right? Wrong!

Oh Lisa... what a tangled web you weave.

Personal Demons is told in two perspectives.... Luc's and Frannie's. (Gabe gets the shaft in this book.... but a little fairy might have told me that he gets his dues in the next novel.) The duel perspect
Krista Ashe
Aug 28, 2010 Krista Ashe rated it really liked it
Midu Hadi
Feb 08, 2012 Midu Hadi rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: UF/PNR fans
LUC or GABE? 6 37 Nov 25, 2014 10:14AM
  • Awakened (Prequel, The Guardian Legacy)
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • A Touch Mortal (A Touch Trilogy, #1)
  • The Candidates (Delcroix Academy, #1)
  • Book of Love (Knight Angels, #1)
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1)
  • Heavenly (Heavenly, #1)
  • Eternity (Fallen Angel, #2)
  • Dark Heart Forever (Dark Heart, #1)
  • Demon Kissed (Demon Kissed, #1)
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
  • Wide Awake (Academy of the Fallen, #1)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • The Crescent
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • Dressed to Slay (Darkheart & Crosse Trilogy #1)
Lisa Desrochers is the USA Today bestselling author of the A LITTLE TOO FAR series, courtesy of HarperCollins. Also in stores is her YA PERSONAL DEMONS trilogy (Macmillan). Look for her upcoming adult contemporary featuring hot Mafiosi, begining with OUTSIDE THE LINES , coming from Penguin in October 2015.

She lives in central California with her husband and two very busy daughters. There is n
More about Lisa Desrochers...

Personal Demons (3 books)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)

“Gabriel.
This has to be his fault, somehow. I'm going to track him down, pluck out his angel feathers, and stuff a pillow with them.”
113 likes
“Sii la mia schiava d’amore,” I purr.
Her expression is guarded. “What did you say?”
An amused smile pulls at my lips. “I’ll never tell.” Somehow, I don’t think she’d agree to be my love slave anyway.”—Luc Cain (p. 148)”
77 likes