Start by marking “Ghost Hunt: Chilling Tales of the Search for the Unknown” as Want to Read:
Ghost Hunt: Chilling Tales of the Search for the Unknown

Ghost Hunt: Chilling Tales of the Search for the Unknown

An exciting new middle grade collection of spooky paranormal investigations based on REAL ghost hunts from stars of the TV show Ghost Hunters, the number one reality show on cable television!

In a lush, thick volume, Ghost Hunt will feature multiple stories dramatized with cliff hangers and red herrings to heighten suspense and character interaction. Through the investigat
Published September 7th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published August 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Hunt, please sign up.

Heidi The Hippie Librarian
I didn't realize that this book was for middle grade kids when I picked it up from the library, but I still enjoyed it. Yes, the chapters that are based on the Ghost Hunter's explorations overly simplistic but they're also incredibly creepy. However, this isn't just a horror book: Jason and Grant use these pages to educate the public about what they believe ghosts are and to diffuse any fear that a kid would naturally feel when confronted with something that she doesn't understand. The last part ...more
Meredith VanOordt
May 22, 2015 Meredith VanOordt rated it it was amazing
Very enjoying with a lot of information.
Sandra
Aug 29, 2011 Sandra rated it liked it
My mother got me hooked on the show Ghost Hunters a few years ago and in the time since I've actually read a few of their non-fictions books. When I heard they were writing books for young adults, I jumped on it. One of my favorite TV shows plus a young adult book? Sign me up! So I was excited when this came up on my PaperBackSwap wish list.

Ghost Hunt is a collection of shorts stories Jason and Grant have based off some of their real cases. However, having seen the show, it was easy for me to te
Catherine
Jun 05, 2016 Catherine rated it liked it
This book is marketed for a target audience of 11-14 years of age and contains eight short stories. It is a work of fiction, based on real encounters.

As a massive fan of Ghost Hunters and the TAPS team, I was really looking forward to reading this book. However, I have to say I found it really disappointing.

Each case is written as a story, with little focus on the ghost hunting. It is marketed as a 'fictional' work, and it is VERY easy to see which parts are fictionalised. No goosebumps, elevat
Serena
Sep 07, 2010 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ghost Hunt by Jason Dawes and Grant Wilson is due out this September for young readers and contains not only short stories, but also a guide the Ghost Hunters use on every investigation, plus activity pages. If you haven’t seen this show on television, you are missing out on one of the originals and best investigative teams examining the paranormal. They never go into a case believing the ghosts are there, but enter homes with the assumption that noises and events mostly have logical explanation ...more
Jan 18, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: grades 5-8
In this spooky book there are eight short ghost stories, all based on case files and events experienced by the group on the show Ghost Hunters. The stories are told from the point of view of Lyssa, the new interviewer for all of their cases.

There are a variety of ghost stories in this collection, such as one about a case involving a ghost who would leave behind pennies each time it visited; another case helped a family who had a ghost without legs appear to walk up their stairs each night! And a
Judy
Jul 15, 2012 Judy rated it liked it
My first impression after diving into this book was that Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson should stick to ghost hunting rather than writing, because the writing was quite juvenile; however, upon further investigation I discovered the target age range for the book is 11-14 years, which made the choppier writing a lot more tolerable. It's a fun read for young adults or adults who enjoy spooky ghost stories along the same lines as the "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" or similar tales. As someone who ...more
Jeff Raymond
No, I probably shouldn't have picked this up, all things considered. I'm not the target audience, I don't think I've seen five minutes of the show, but there are things you do because you should do them, and this book was it.

This...well, it was a lot like Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark, except they weren't scary and they weren't folk tales, so the closest comparison I can come up with is barely valid. Perhaps if I knew the show at all, it might be more enjoyable, but all I could do is sit the
Fiona Joyce
Jun 14, 2012 Fiona Joyce rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost-horror
The stories from the families and the victims are scare but like the show I find that once the TAPS team enters the sene that the story lose it follow and it chillingness and becomes more comical in tone. Though overall I did enjoy the book and would like to read the second one. I also found the ghost hunting guide for amerture parnormal investigation as a great read and makes you want go out there and catch some ghosts
Deborah
Aug 12, 2011 Deborah rated it it was ok
The guys from the SyFy channel's reality show Ghost Hunters put together a book of their ghost hunts involving youth. Each story is short. They introduce the case from the "victim's" point of view and then switch to the ghost hunting team. One member of the team, Lyssa, is new and her naivete with each new case gets old in the first story. The stories are a bit creepy.

Give to your kids asking for scary stories or who like to read about poltergeists and hauntings.

Grades 4-6th.
Richard Denney
Mar 17, 2013 Richard Denney rated it liked it
These books just seem like a big advertisement for Ghost Hunters.
Nearly every single story has someone mentioning TAPS and talking about
the founders of Ghost Hunters. The stories weren't spooky at all and they felt
as if they were written for a 5 year old. This is a middle grade book, the stories
should be a little scary at least.
Kristin
Jan 06, 2011 Kristin rated it liked it
Not too scary set of stories based on actual reports of paranormal activity. The guys from the Ghost Hunters TV show have recast these stories so that their actual paranormal society is made up of child versions of themselves and others, and they take a look at these ghost reports. Good for kids because it's fairly light on the scare factor.
Molly
Oct 13, 2011 Molly rated it liked it
Pretty interesting investigations in this book. I like the book because you get to experience some of the things you miss from TV, but it is written pretty simplistically, probably so younger kids could read it if they wanted. Definitely worth the read, if only to hear about some interesting paranormal events!
Kelsey
Oct 03, 2016 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of paranormal and the show Ghost Hunters
Recommended to Kelsey by: Ghost Hunters
I am already a big fan of TAPS and the show Ghost Hunters. Jason and Grant are my idols in the paranormal world. I loved hearing about some of their cases, but seeing them put more into a story telling feel to them. There is also a guide in the back that helps you to do your own ghost hunting investigation.
Nelson lim
I thought this book was a bit too easy. It was also a bit confusing because they tell tales about diffrent thinngs in a book. What I like was when I undrstanded the book and when I did the chilling tales almost came to life. I also thought it was true a bit because on discovery channle There ase some movies that talk about ghosts. In this book when some one thinks their haunted they call them.
Roxann
Jul 16, 2011 Roxann rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I had to keep in mind that this book's target audience was grade 4-9. As an adult reading it, the writing was chopping and simple. The stories were based on real ghosts/situations that T.A.P.S. have had, but it was written in fiction form for children. If you have a child that is interested in ghosts this would be a good book for them. Easy to read and not too scary for them.
Makena Cordero
Oct 21, 2013 Makena Cordero rated it liked it
The book was OK, it wasn't as detail as I thought it would be. I was expecting chilling tales about ghost but ended up reading a with no action or sense of excitement. I suggest this book to anyone who likes to read more of a slow book.
Lee
Mar 15, 2011 Lee rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. I finished it in a night. What I didn't like, though, is that I was confused: was it supposed to read as individual tales of fiction or are they based on real experience? Otherwise, I was creeped out, jumpy while I was reading it, and I loved it!
Alyson
Apr 30, 2011 Alyson rated it liked it
Writing style was pretty juvenile. Written more like fictional stories than ghost-hunting accounts. But I think they're supposed to be real. Wish they'd been written from Jason and Grant's perspective.

Still: True ghost stories. Of course I liked it.
Oct 13, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
This was my final book for the 6th grade book talk. I thought this would be a great choice with Halloween coming up and I was right. A collection of creepy ghost stories that have been investigated by the actual "Ghost Hunters" is exactly what a bunch of sixth graders is looking for.
Wendy
Mar 20, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
THIS BOOK SEEMED TO BE MORE FOR THE YA GROUP. STILL I ENJOYED IT, I DO LOVE A GOOD GHOSTHUNTERS STORY.
Danny Johnson
Jul 27, 2013 Danny Johnson rated it liked it
Just a fun little read (in a Goosebumps kind of way), although a bit below my normal level. It was written with an eye toward younger readers. Mildly creepy without being over-the-top horrifying.
Chasty
Jan 24, 2014 Chasty rated it liked it
I found some of the stories interesting but their way of writing is really not my cup of tea...In truth alot of the stories seemed half stories.
Jules
Nov 11, 2011 Jules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of shows such as Ghost Hunters, GHI, Paranormal State, etc., this book is a real treat. Great book for Halloween, or really for anytime that you want a good ghost story!
Shawn Hamel
Oct 01, 2011 Shawn Hamel rated it liked it
Quick read and few cool sightings always wished I had lived in a haunted house or could make contact
Wendy Mills
Aug 28, 2014 Wendy Mills rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading these tales of some of the more spookier investigations that Jason, Grant, and other members of TAPS have gone on and the experiences they felt.
Tiffany Wolfert
Mar 11, 2012 Tiffany Wolfert rated it liked it
It wasn't one of their best books, it is more for young adult and older children. It is written as if it is fiction. But, it was still a decent book
Elizabeth
Previewed it for my classroom library-- the kids are going to love it. Easy reading and just a bit creepy.
Mallory
Oct 21, 2010 Mallory rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mymap
KInd of interesting. The book is based off of the television show "Ghost Hunters". The glow-in-the-dark cover especially hooked me! I literally woke up to ghosts shining in my bedroom!
Krystle
Jul 03, 2015 Krystle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love their books I had read the second book first since I didn't have the first one but then I bought this one and I wish there were more.
  • The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People
  • Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Trucker Ghost Stories: And Other True Tales of Haunted Highways, Weird Encounters, and Legends of the Road
  • Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown
  • Snap
  • Which Way to the Wild West?: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About Westward Expansion
  • Ghost Girl: A Blue Ridge Mountain Story
  • How to Scratch a Wombat: Where to Find It . . . What to Feed It . . . Why It Sleeps All Day
  • Haunted Illinois
  • The Journal Of Otto Peltonen, A Finnish Immigrant (My Name Is America)
  • The Hanging Hill (Haunted Mystery, #2)
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • The Popularity Rules
  • Among the Ghosts
  • Dusty Waters: A Ghost Story
  • Chicken Soup for the Military Wife's Soul: Stories to Touch the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Legend of the Ghost Dog